Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel

A wall you can open up and walk through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

rentable grandparents for when you feel blue or whatever

I can't find it right now, but this is legit a service that used to exist in my state, it was basically the reverse of a lot of volunteer programs where people go into nursing homes to spend time with the residents, instead residents who didn't have kids or grandkids but wanted to "foster" younger people could volunteer their time

it was mostly intended for younger kids who were fostered/adopted, and whose adoptive parents' parents weren't alive/in the picture, it all came out of some study about how the presence of elderly adults in the lives of foster kids improved their happiness and quality of living

then they expanded the program out to kind of anybody who wanted a foster grandparent (prob with some sort of qualifying process) because so many elderly people volunteered

thank you luvcow for the sig

MockingQuantum

SciFiDownBeat posted:

A wall you can open up and walk through

this is great but I feel like it'd be fantastic if you had some method of controlling when it was open and when it was closed, throw a latching mechanism and a handle on there and I'm sold

Manifisto

MockingQuantum posted:

this is great but I feel like it'd be fantastic if you had some method of controlling when it was open and when it was closed, throw a latching mechanism and a handle on there and I'm sold

we need to launch it with a single unlabeled button, then sell a newer version without the button

Manifisto

and then maybe a "classic" version with the button everybody loved

Manifisto

capitalizing on button nostalgia, that is our new business model

well, aside from our pickle division

kalel

MockingQuantum posted:

Heh, look at this fool, this loving rube that thinks we're not developing a neural network to train the wall to open itself at the optimal times

MockingQuantum

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Heh, look at this fool, this loving rube that thinks we're not developing a neural network to train the wall to open itself at the optimal times

drat, once again I've been soundly dunked on by the Internet of Things

Manifisto

SciFiDownBeat posted:

an extraordinarily intelligent wall whose sole job is to open and close for the convenience of the creatures who brought it into the world

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Repurpose decommissioned helicopters as parents

Robot Made of Meat

The Internet of things . . . OF THINGS!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
See, here's what I don't get. On an airplane, they tell you "in the event of an emergency, you can use your seat cushion as a floatation device". What other things can be used as OTHER things? What aren't they telling us?

**looks around the room wild-eyed**

what can I use my trashcan for, in an emergency or otherwise?

**eyeballs the mundane, ordinary trash can and spills the contents all over the floor**

There's gotta be an alternative use for all of this!

**rummages through everything, looking for secret uses of stuff and just ends up making a giant mess out of things**

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

See, here's what I don't get. On an airplane, they tell you "in the event of an emergency, you can use your seat cushion as a floatation device". What other things can be used as OTHER things? What aren't they telling us?

**looks around the room wild-eyed**

what can I use my trashcan for, in an emergency or otherwise?

**eyeballs the mundane, ordinary trash can and spills the contents all over the floor**

There's gotta be an alternative use for all of this!

**rummages through everything, looking for secret uses of stuff and just ends up making a giant mess out of things**

officially, we must adhere to the party line: things cannot be used as other things

unofficially, I have hidden warehouses that store millions of empty cd/dvd spindle cases. for they can be used as bagel holders, you see. "they"--honestly, "we"--do not want you to know this, but it is very much true.

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
**digging around in the ideas hat**
**looking at the slips of paper I pulled out**
fair trade...
...durian...
...slippers...
...that positively affirm one's sexual orientation.

I think there's an angle?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MockingQuantum

So books are great, right? But then i was like, they take a long time to read. So what if a book just read itself to you? Then i realized that was already a thing, how cool would it be if i had been the guy to think up audiobooks

Now here we are in 2017 with all these books being made into hot new on demand tv shows.

But those take time too! So what if we had an app that told you what happened in the hot new tv show last night, so you can sound cool and hip and "with it" when conversing with your work peers around the water cooler the next day. I mean itd basically just be a podcast that says "yo this guy died in this show last night, also life is rough for women in Handmade's Tale" but i swear we'll make millions somehow okay may i have some venture capital please *makes graspy hand motions*

kalel

A mail-order house. Every week we mail customers pieces of a house and they assemble it as they come in. Complete with how-to videos accessible on our website (not included). Fun for the whole family!

Manifisto

MockingQuantum posted:

So books are great, right? But then i was like, they take a long time to read. So what if a book just read itself to you? Then i realized that was already a thing, how cool would it be if i had been the guy to think up audiobooks

Now here we are in 2017 with all these books being made into hot new on demand tv shows.

But those take time too! So what if we had an app that told you what happened in the hot new tv show last night, so you can sound cool and hip and "with it" when conversing with your work peers around the water cooler the next day. I mean itd basically just be a podcast that says "yo this guy died in this show last night, also life is rough for women in Handmade's Tale" but i swear we'll make millions somehow okay may i have some venture capital please *makes graspy hand motions*

cyrano de bergerapp

Farecoal

There he go

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't find it right now, but this is legit a service that used to exist in my state

This? It's a national program too

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A pregnancy test stick that has a riddle on the handle, and peeing on it unlocks the punchline.

Twenty Four

DeFundMe, an app for venture capitalists to funnel their money into whatever people think of.

MockingQuantum

ReFundMe, an app that has an alarm that goes off when you're nearing the end of a return period for any new purchases just in case you decide you didn't really like them after all

Manifisto

ReFunkMe, an app that monitors your level of funk and provides you with a fresh supply when you're critically low

MockingQuantum

GoPherMe, an app that alerts you to the presence of nearby ground-dwelling rodents (disclaimer: app functions correctly for groundhogs, but not woodchucks. The means by which it determines whether a given ground-dwelling rodent is a groundhog or a woodchuck is unknown at this time, but it turns out it's right, based on survey responses from the groundhogs)

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Visioneering consultant. We supply people with original, visionary ideas so they can focus on their core work as a thought leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal

There he go
Uber but for synergy

• Locked thread