Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karrots
Oct 31, 2017

I tend to take my vacations to places that inspire worry from my co-workers, partially because I travel alone and have no plan. Curious to see where other people are heading off to and what is worth doing.

Do I need to be worried about being ransomed? I don't think anyone would pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
There is a beaten path for a reason, do you actually have holiday ideas or are you fishing for something impressive for the water cooler?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Most people are terrified of travel whatsoever; I’ve even had people worried about Paris because of terrerrisssizm and Europe in general because of refugees. Go wherever you want, there’s a lot of world off the beaten path. Basically all of the Arab world is safe and fine to travel around in but people will freak out about any of it (except for Morocco). Same thing for basically any country in Africa and most of Latin America (omg you went to Colombia??!11 were u not murder by the cocaine lolll).

Most off the beaten path I’ve done is a road trip through Cameroon and it was super fun. Unfortunately the nicest parts of Cameroon are in borderline civil war right now so it’s probably not a great destination atm.

If you speak Russian, Central Asia is off the beaten path but its just starting to get hip, especially Kyrgyzstan.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What are you interested in? History? Nature? Food? Beaches? Partying? Instagram bragging? And don’t just say a little bit of everything!

I get not wanting to go to Italy or Iceland like everyone else, and there are literally millions of places to go. I’d steer clear of active war zones like Syria, but honestly that only cuts out maybe 20-30 countries.

As for ransoming, it totally depends on where you are. There are groups in southern Philippines that specifically kidnap foreigners and use the ransom to fund insurgencies. But in other places like Venezuela you’d probably just get shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If you are asking, I just have to assume that you lack imagination and/or skills that you would need in order to survive. Sorry in advance if I am reading too much into it or if I come across as condescending.

Nevertheless, I have dozens of such trips on my to-do list, but :negative: I don't think I will have the time to finish even half of them. One of them would be a solo hike of Greenland's Arctic Circle Trail. Another would be to hike the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea, although I worry that that part of the world would eat a guy like myself alive because I am a vegetarian.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I think more likely you would just starve to death. Actually maybe in PNG you would find enough vegetarian food, but in Greenland you would definitely starve to death.

Also the OP has apparently only made two posts in of 8 months of reg time, so I imagine this was a hit-and-run post.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Saladman posted:

I think more likely you would just starve to death. Actually maybe in PNG you would find enough vegetarian food, but in Greenland you would definitely starve to death.

I think a combination of diarrhea (from trying their tap water) along with malaria would finish me off in PNG.

I actually am capable of eating meat (I survived Japan without a special diet, so I basically ate meat for breakfast/lunch/dinner), but I get grumpy very quickly. I might actually put up with that if the payoff is good enough and Greenland would perhaps be in the category. I am planning on doing a mountaineering seminar next year to find out how I will fare in such conditions.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

I think a combination of diarrhea (from trying their tap water) along with malaria would finish me off in PNG

I got an actual lol from that. I also drink the tap water everywhere. The only place it’s made me sick is in Switzerland. (I drank out of the pipe leading into a trough for cows on the top of the mountain. "Eau non potable” sans blague.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Plenty of Aussies do the Kokoda track so I’d imagine the companies who run treks can cater for vegetarians. My brother-in-law has actually done it, though not as a vegetarian.

On the minuscule chance that the OP was serious and will come back - go to Iran.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

webmeister posted:

On the minuscule chance that the OP was serious and will come back - go to Iran.

Iran is the opposite of off the beaten path if you're an exclusively American passport holder. The only way you are allowed to go is if you go with a tour guide who holds your hand and babies you the entire time. I'm sure there are some guides you can pay to have them sit in their hotel and leave you alone all day, but unless you somehow already knew who to contact it'd be rolling the dice to have someone chill vs. having some government shill follow you all day. I went to China back when you needed a minder to follow you, and we had different ones each place we went, and our guy in Beijing totally blew. I mean he wasn't rude or anything but it was just annoying to have someone always there telling you poo poo you either already knew, didn't care about, or that was blatant and false propaganda.

YMMV but it doesn't seem very adventurous to me. Although I'm sure coworkers would think it was.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Saladman posted:

YMMV but it doesn't seem very adventurous to me. Although I'm sure coworkers would think it was.

Which was exactly the question, no?

It’s safe, friendly, comfortable and utterly horrifying to anyone that watches American news.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

webmeister posted:

On the minuscule chance that the OP was serious and will come back ...

Nah, I think making this thread was adventurous enough for the OP. If this counts as his off the beaten path trip for the year, I can't wait what he does next year. Visit 4chan?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You could always join the YPG in Syria, that's off the beaten path.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I bet you :10bux: Syria gets disqualified because the OP wants a direct flight.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

I bet you :10bux: Syria gets disqualified because the OP wants a direct flight.

I find it hard to envision a scenario where OP is dedicated enough to do anything IRL but not dedicated enough to come back a single time to a thread s/he started within two weeks (or, more likely, ever).

I found out recently that the French Foreign Legion will accept you all the way up until like age 40, plus a bunch of other ridiculous requirements, things like "no more than 4 missing teeth." (I wonder if wisdom teeth count?)

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
It's a pretty well-traveled path but still "wow, cool!": Nepal. There are tons of resources online about how to pick a trek and lots of reputable companies. You honestly could probably hire your own porter without using an agency, and many of the trekking paths are well-marked and have tons of villages/accommodations. Even if you don't speak Nepali, you can get by with "namaste" and pointing and smiling.

Re: vegetarian chat: tons of vegetarian food options due to Buddhism.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

theHUNGERian posted:

If you are asking, I just have to assume that you lack imagination and/or skills that you would need in order to survive. Sorry in advance if I am reading too much into it or if I come across as condescending.

Nevertheless, I have dozens of such trips on my to-do list, but :negative: I don't think I will have the time to finish even half of them. One of them would be a solo hike of Greenland's Arctic Circle Trail. Another would be to hike the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea, although I worry that that part of the world would eat a guy like myself alive because I am a vegetarian.

Kokoda is quite literally a beaten trail. Maybe people in your country go there but you are going to meet a looot of aussies

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OP got kidnapped and nobody wanted to pay the ransom

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

OP got kidnapped and nobody wanted to pay the ransom

you say that like he or she ever left the basement

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

webmeister posted:

Which was exactly the question, no?

It’s safe, friendly, comfortable and utterly horrifying to anyone that watches American news.

friend of mine goes to beruit to get smashed like people do in prague and budapest

quote:

Another would be to hike the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea, although I worry that that part of the world would eat a guy like myself alive because I am a vegetarian

depends on how much musculature you've got.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

Kokoda is quite literally a beaten trail. Maybe people in your country go there but you are going to meet a looot of aussies

I know, but given the OP's question, I interpreted "beaten path" as Eiffel Tower, Rome, driving through a national park while stopping occasionally for a few selfies, ... .

webmeister posted:

you say that like he or she ever left the basement

Agreed.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Saladman posted:

Most people are terrified of travel whatsoever; I’ve even had people worried about Paris because of terrerrisssizm and Europe in general because of refugees. Go wherever you want, there’s a lot of world off the beaten path. Basically all of the Arab world is safe and fine to travel around in but people will freak out about any of it (except for Morocco). Same thing for basically any country in Africa and most of Latin America (omg you went to Colombia??!11 were u not murder by the cocaine lolll).

Most off the beaten path I’ve done is a road trip through Cameroon and it was super fun. Unfortunately the nicest parts of Cameroon are in borderline civil war right now so it’s probably not a great destination atm.

If you speak Russian, Central Asia is off the beaten path but its just starting to get hip, especially Kyrgyzstan.

I get what you mean and I agree with you but it’s kind of hilarious to say “travel wherever- people are afraid that Africa is a war zone but it’s not! Try Cameroon! Except it’s actually a war zone”

You couldn’t have said any other country!?

In any case obviously the OP is gone but I find the kind of “I want to go where no one else has!” Some weird narcissistic mirror of the people who want to do the incredibly curated and guided trips. Like there isn’t anything wrong with it but let’s not kid yourself, your actual enjoyment of your holiday is not increased by knowing that your average westerner hasn’t been there, and it smacks of some old school / colonial thinking. Iran is a perfect example. Great insta pic for your friends and you can say “not much is known about this foreign and ancient land and so many people said we were crazy to go but the people were just beautiful”

Meanwhile there are like multiple tourists from other backgrounds and cultures in the same shot, and you go back hope and your doctor is Persian but you just thought he was Latino or something

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well really I guess you could say it's firmly on the, eh, beaten path

:smugputin:

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
You know OP, you can go someplace like Italy and go “off the beaten path” and find beautiful, interesting things to see and do. You don’t necessarily have to go someplace that you coworkers would find “dangerous”.

Unless that’s the point, in which case go to Gaziantep or Pristina. These are nice options cause you can just chill in your hotel like a sad sack jerking off to the thought of you coworkers gasping about how you went to *KOSOVO* or *NEAR SYRIA AND KURDS*

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Was Chicago not an option for some reason?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Do the Pacific Northwest Trail where you literally have to bushwhack for a few sections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
OP died after trying to impress his work colleagues by going to Naples which — as we all know — is overrun by mafia gangs. Poor bastard got concrete shoes his first night after disrespecting a don's girlfriend. Thread can be closed.