Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Might & Magic: Elemental Guardians just released in the United States on June 1st on Android and iOS devices. It's a brand new monster summoning game from Ubisoft that plays pretty similarly to Summoners War. You summon monsters of different rarities, level them up, and then use them to farm equipment in dungeons and beat up on other people in PvP. The combat is turn-based with a set of three unique skills on every creature, similar to Pokemon.

If you're not familiar with Summoners War, or you would rather watch a video instead of reading the OP, check out this great introductory video by ChildishPlays.

Why play a Summoners War clone instead of the real thing? This game has some key improvements over Summoners War that make it superior. Funnily enough, most of the improvements come from things this game does not have:
  • No violent runes.
  • No crit animations.
  • No OP light and dark monsters you'll never get. Instead, there are four element types that are available from all summoning stones.
  • No Com2Us devs that ignore player feedback. This game has developers that are actively engaged with the community and available via discord.
  • No useless flat stat runes. This game has been balanced so that flat stats and percentage stats are both valuable, depending on the creature. It's not always right to use HP% over flat HP.
  • No cap on the number of creatures you can have. You never have to move creatures in or out of storage.
That said, since the game just released worldwide, there are some key features that are missing from the game:
  • At the moment, although there are guilds, there is no guild PvP. The devs say this will be added, but it is not in yet.
  • There is no ability to tell your team to focus the boss when autoing dungeons. Again, the devs claim this will be added eventually.

Here is some generic advice for those just starting out with the game:
  • Glyphs are the most important thing in the game. Your main goal early on is to get yourself in a position to farm them from the dungeons.
  • Using seals: It is probably best to use them to buy the 9 summon packs until you have a workable core dungeon team. After you have a decent team and are above level 30 or so, you should transition to using your seals to refill your energy to continue glyph farming.
  • Always save a copy of each creature (except 1*s).
  • Preferentially feed 1*s to your core monsters for skill-ups. Only use 2*s if you have tons of dupes and are out of 1*s.
  • The shop has really good items in it, so always check it. It can even be worthwhile to use your seals to refresh shop after level 30 to find glyphs you need and books. However, you do not get access to the best version of the shop until level 50.
  • It is generally better to evolve your creatures early on before skilling them up because they both use the same resource (books) and evolution is generally the more impactful change.
  • Once you reach level 20+, you can use your staff to farm four 2* fodders (no dedicated farmer needed!) on Floating Islands/Advanced/Stage 2. Your staff will one shot all the waves, so all you need your creatures to do is survive. To do this, pick the Chimera element and the following skills: Strength > Defense Breach > Celerity.

:siren: The goon guild is: Fancy Cat Wizards :siren:

Come join us in the #othermobilegames channel in the SA Summoners War discord if you want to chat with goons! You should also probably join the Official Discord for the game because that is the main place where you can get quick answers to questions and get in contact with the devs.

I should also note that some of the main third party devs from Summoners War are making resources for this game. Porksmash has already made :siren:MM-EG.FARM:siren: and Xzandro is working on a glyph optimizer. Soon you will have all the third party support of Summoners War, but without all of Com2us' bad design decisions!

TL;DR: The game is great and you should play it. It's a nice change of pace from the other gacha mobile games and has an incredibly high level of polish not typical of mobile games developed by smaller companies.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Reserved for future strategy post. For now here is a link to the sticky I made for the subreddit.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 9, 2018

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.runeguard&hl=en_US

iTunes store link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/m-m-elemental-guardians/id1115265551?mt=8

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Thanks for that porksmash, added them into the OP.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

So far this game seems pretty good and I'm glad there are no violent runes, looks like I got really lucky with my air ebon knight pull too.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Fenrax posted:

So far this game seems pretty good and I'm glad there are no violent runes, looks like I got really lucky with my air ebon knight pull too.

Yeah, Air Ebon Knight is just about the best 4* you can hope for to speed up your progression in glyph dungeons. Eventually, with good runes, he can solo Wrath 10, which means you can level fodder while farming runes (slowly). Congrats.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Created a guild for goons, Fancy Cat Wizards. Feel free to apply if you want to do quests together and complain about your glyph drops.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I made a thing: https://mm-eg.farm/

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How important is the tier list on pulls? I just hit level 20 and have 3 natural 3 stars, feels decent enough for the moment.
Also, evolution, something to wait for and use on the expensive 3 stars or use on cheaper stuff too?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Evolution is something you want to use on creatures that will be a part of your main dungeon team. If you need more guidance on that, ask in the SA Summoners War discord (we have a channel there) or check out that sticky post on the subreddit that I put together.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just started playing and am enjoying this quite a lot. Applied to the guild as NikRamius, so if you see that request let me in.

Still not 100% sure on just what I should be building team wise and am just playing around with some team compositions.

I do have a question regarding the gold coins, though. Should I be using them for anything in particular, or is saving up the 900 or so for the big pull pack available in the shop the best plan?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

USMC_Karl posted:

Just started playing and am enjoying this quite a lot. Applied to the guild as NikRamius, so if you see that request let me in.

Still not 100% sure on just what I should be building team wise and am just playing around with some team compositions.

I do have a question regarding the gold coins, though. Should I be using them for anything in particular, or is saving up the 900 or so for the big pull pack available in the shop the best plan?

Welcome! I accepted your application to the guild.

You definitely want to be saving them for the 950 seal pack to pull creatures. You'll want to put all your resources into summoning until you get a decent core team that you can use for the Wrath dungeon. Check out the sticky post I made on Reddit for more detailed information on team comps and mechanics: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMElementalGuardians/comments/8ua8tr/read_me_super_sticky_for_new_players/

Edit: I also added links to the OP for the SA discord for this game and the official discord. You should join those. I also copied in the generic tips to the OP since they probably ought to be here too.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 17, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I beat the water island in the tutorial, and it started feeling pretty samey. Does the actual gameplay start getting more complex later on or is it mostly about setting up the right team and hitting auto battle?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Like the game it's based on, the ideal situation is to be in hit auto and let it go since that's going to be faster than manually making decisions. Tower is going to take manual play at multiple boss levels, but if you have to manually farm a Glyph dungeon a million times you're going to want to kill yourself. So if you can't just auto, you'll want to go back down a few levels rather than manually play it unless you really enjoy that for some reason. If crafting good and/or interesting teams for the various dungeons doesn't sound interesting for you, then this isn't really the game for you.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Also, like with Summoners War, the main place you will be manual-ing is in PvP. Currently, that is just arena, but they are planning on adding in guild PvP. On average, the AI is pretty dumb, so in high-risk situations, you should be manual-ing. That said, if you really, really like manual-ing, there is nothing to stop you from doing that everywhere. The only reason people ever auto is out of laziness, not necessity.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Thanks, I never played summoner's war as crazy as I guess that is. I like idle games though, just needed the right mindset.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

Created a guild for goons, Fancy Cat Wizards. Feel free to apply if you want to do quests together and complain about your glyph drops.

Applied to this guild as Arcdroid

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Doctors Inc posted:

Applied to this guild as Arcdroid

Accepted, but we aren't doing guild quests right now because the cost/benefit ratio is pretty poor. They will be updating guild quests eventually, perhaps next patch.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Man is it demoralizing for a legendary soulstone to spit out a 3* young Griffin

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man is it demoralizing for a legendary soulstone to spit out a 3* young Griffin

Agreed. I just got a dupe 3* from mine.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

Accepted, but we aren't doing guild quests right now because the cost/benefit ratio is pretty poor. They will be updating guild quests eventually, perhaps next patch.

No problem, I am just casually playing along.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
Is there any place where I can see which ability version is better when I evolve something? As a beginner it's sometimes hard to judge.
E.g.: Air golem, Petrifying blow or stone blow?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This seems fun so far

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How the hell are you supposed to get/spend 3000 energy for the weekly assignment? That's not even in the realm of possibility without spending tons of coins it seems like

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Nearly every event in this game seems designed to make you spend currency. It's putting me off hardcore and I think I'm done playing this game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

porksmash posted:

Nearly every event in this game seems designed to make you spend currency. It's putting me off hardcore and I think I'm done playing this game.

I think this is just them swinging too far in the other direction. The early events were quite generous with no spending. They realized they were too generous and now went too far in the making them hard direction. We'll see if they correct them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Anybody still playing this?

• Locked thread