Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

they keep doing this or trying to do it and it's bizarre. like how they wanted to make Andromeda with all procgen planets. dumb!

That one makes a little more sense since procgen was the trend that had the entire industry making GBS threads itself in the race to jump on board.

But on that topic, if there's one thing that killed Bioware stone dead, it was their incessant trend-chasing. They gave up on their very lucrative niche to try and be a bad Ubisoft clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Look, the very important money men at EA told us that single player RPGs don't make enough money any more. Now let me just take a big sip of water while I'll look at the sales figures for Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

1stGear posted:

Look, the very important money men at EA told us that single player RPGs don't make enough money any more. Now let me just take a big sip of water while I'll look at the sales figures for Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3.

I mean. They're right. Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3 are successful games, but they're not the industry-toping blowouts that the money-men wanted. To them, if it's not doing CoD, Minecraft, or Fortnite numbers, then it's a failure.

Infinite growth or bust!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean. They're right. Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3 are successful games, but they're not the industry-toping blowouts that the money-men wanted. To them, if it's not doing CoD, Minecraft, or Fortnite numbers, then it's a failure.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3 are both top 12 in Steam revenue for the year and have massively outsold anything from Bioware.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anthem is on sale for a dollar everywhere. Time to buy!

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Pattonesque posted:

they keep doing this or trying to do it and it's bizarre. like how they wanted to make Andromeda with all procgen planets. dumb!

I'm trying to prove out some of the ideas with proc gen worlds, but I'm focusing on putting together authored tiles rather than just letting the whole thing be randomized. I feel like it could have been developed into a good idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

eonblue174 posted:

I'm trying to prove out some of the ideas with proc gen worlds, but I'm focusing on putting together authored tiles rather than just letting the whole thing be randomized. I feel like it could have been developed into a good idea.

The issue I have with it is that if I'm buying a BioWare game I'm going in expecting the focus to be unique characters and interesting stories, and I don't think their approach to it (separate from yours) would have jived with that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:effort:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is it actually playable? Wasn't the point of it to be multiplayer, and they stopped supporting it 3 years ago?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Is it actually playable? Wasn't the point of it to be multiplayer, and they stopped supporting it 3 years ago?

The base gameplay is fun enough, and I'm sure you can still do the open-world quests and whatnot. No idea how you'd do any of the instances, though. I can't imagine there are enough people still playing to fill the matchmaking queue.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
is the ms paint decal store still online?

Remember when they left the Christmas decorations up in the hub until mid February?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kaysette posted:

Remember when they left the Christmas decorations up in the hub until mid February?

Most relatable thing about the game. Christmas decorations still up months later? I been there Anthem. I been there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
BioWare making a game with zero (0) memorable characters is legit incredible. Even DA2 and Andromeda had their share. what a void of a game

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

BioWare making a game with zero (0) memorable characters is legit incredible. Even DA2 and Andromeda had their share. what a void of a game

Yeah, I think it's maybe the only Bioware game where I can't remember the name of a single character.

And the only one who left a strong impression was the over-eager sidekick guy, but only because he was utterly insufferable.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Pattonesque posted:

The issue I have with it is that if I'm buying a BioWare game I'm going in expecting the focus to be unique characters and interesting stories, and I don't think their approach to it (separate from yours) would have jived with that.

Oh absolutely, it's an awful way to have memorable characters. There are a couple games that do some like, character adjacent stuff akin to Dwarf Fortress. I happen to love Bioware's approach to action RPGs and it's solid enough for that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!

:chanpop:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

2house2fly posted:

It's absolute poo poo. There's one vaguely fun class archetype and nothing really works as you'd expect from a game in this genre. The entire thing is an abortion of game design, with last minute panic shifts in direction and desperate attempts to copy better games without ever understanding what made them good in the first place.

It's a game about a variety of mech/iron man suits flying around and the vast majority of it is just ground based combat against the world's most boring enemies unless you pick the "right" classes, in which case you are flying around a bit more and get a little more interesting stuff to do. At its absolute best it feels like maybe an interesting early demo of a game that needs a lot of fleshing out, but it rarely hits those heights.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
For a little bit the starting rifle was the best gun at endgame because their scaling algo was very hosed up. The loot not only didn’t matter, but made you worse.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Watched some clips of the new suicide squad game and I'm getting some heavy anthem vibes from it

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kaysette posted:

For a little bit the starting rifle was the best gun at endgame because their scaling algo was very hosed up. The loot not only didn’t matter, but made you worse.

And when that was fixed they gave you a free top tier rifle anyway which honestly hit really hard to the point where you didn't need to bother with any of the other what, 4 gun types? that were on offer...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Companies keep throwing gaas at the wall and nothing has stuck yet some individual dev can put out a game and it blows up. Makes you think

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Overbite posted:

Companies keep throwing gaas at the wall and nothing has stuck yet some individual dev can put out a game and it blows up. Makes you think

Yes but engagement you see and furthermore road maps

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I remember the glory days when games had 'press start' and maybe options on the title screen and that was all. The information overload of gaas nonsense is wild, how the gently caress do I start playing this garbage?! It's like early days internet when you went to a slightly dodgy site and just got spammed with pop ups for poo poo you're not interested in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I remember the glory days when games had 'press start' and maybe options on the title screen and that was all. The information overload of gaas nonsense is wild, how the gently caress do I start playing this garbage?! It's like early days internet when you went to a slightly dodgy site and just got spammed with pop ups for poo poo you're not interested in.

I just finished playing through Evil West and let me tell you modern game design is in such shambles that it shined through like a goddamn diamond in comparison. This is a game with a definite end, with clearly defined, linear maps on a path so narrow it might as well be a corridor (but a very pretty one), character progression that only bugged you once every half-hour and with significant and meaningful bumps to power with every decision made, and no loving inventory or equipment slots.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just finished playing through Evil West and let me tell you modern game design is in such shambles that it shined through like a goddamn diamond in comparison. This is a game with a definite end, with clearly defined, linear maps on a path so narrow it might as well be a corridor (but a very pretty one), character progression that only bugged you once every half-hour and with significant and meaningful bumps to power with every decision made, and no loving inventory or equipment slots.

Oh word? I'm going to have to get that downloaded then!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah you're not kidding, I started this last night and it has a minimal amount of exploration so far and it is absolutely lovely to look at. Seems to play quite nicely but getting my head around the controls will take a little time after mainlining Elden Ring over Christmas.

And holy poo poo that's a lot of spiders :dogstare:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

Watched some clips of the new suicide squad game and I'm getting some heavy anthem vibes from it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is eerily similar to Anthem in that it makes me wonder why a man called Captain Boomerang spends most of his time shooting a gun, in much the same way a huge armored mechwarrior has to fire a dinky little assault rifle. His name is Captain BOOMERANG not Captain Gun.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Like anthem but less fun isn’t something I expected to read today

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

exquisite tea posted:

It is eerily similar to Anthem in that it makes me wonder why a man called Captain Boomerang spends most of his time shooting a gun, in much the same way a huge armored mechwarrior has to fire a dinky little assault rifle. His name is Captain BOOMERANG not Captain Gun.

At least the colossus had that shield ram thing. That felt great and was very on brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boy are they going to regret trying to play Anthem again.