Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I wouldn't say ArtStation is flooded with AI. There's an option to hide AI posts, and the ones that aren't labeled and slip through usually have angry comments to the effect of "why didn't you tag this as AI?" The community in general is still pretty against it. And to be honest, once you've seen enough raw or raw-ish AI output, you can usually tell it apart at a glance.

The trending pages will be intimidating/inspiring no matter what, you're looking at the top voted content from the entire world. For a more realistic survey you can switch to "latest" instead, and see plenty of posts that at or around your level, whatever it may be.

Also worth keeping in mind that ArtStation has always been about entertainment industry jobs. That covers a lot of ground/styles and includes a lot of really awesome people, but it's not a full view of art. I'm browsing it less nowadays too, and getting more out of seeing the posts from artists I follow, vs the megafeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Artstation trending wall is very good for an at-a-glance look at what makes cg artists horny and not much else.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cartoon babes ftw

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm genuinely surprised that ArtStation and other more respected websites allow AI nonsense, while it's loving FurAffinity of all places that banned it outright.

Why bother uploading an image you didn't make to an ostensibly professional gallery? If you get a job based on it, the truth will eventually come out.

Art isn't like other stuff where you can pretend through it, you have to actually be capable in some level if you're not a failson or loving the boss.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that ArtStation and other more respected websites allow AI nonsense, while it's loving FurAffinity of all places that banned it outright.

Why bother uploading an image you didn't make to an ostensibly professional gallery? If you get a job based on it, the truth will eventually come out.

Art isn't like other stuff where you can pretend through it, you have to actually be capable in some level if you're not a failson or loving the boss.

Also banned on Newgrounds, FWIW

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pixiv allows it but has a toggle in settings to hide it. That assumes that people tag properly of course, but AI fuckers are nothing if not unreasonably proud of what they do and absolutely baffled that other people aren't, so it seems to work out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Pixiv allows it but has a toggle in settings to hide it. That assumes that people tag properly of course, but AI fuckers are nothing if not unreasonably proud of what they do and absolutely baffled that other people aren't, so it seems to work out.

this has always been the most baffling thing about AI generated art uploaders

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Haha!

I have to admit, I enjoyed the tech as a fun toy when it first showed up, and, if it weren't for lovely folks, it could be a good tool to use in terms of speeding up your own art; that said, ... the people who are into this, like, heavily into it, are just loving insufferable. It's insane.

Pure insanity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
In todays "griping as a client" I am met with the dreaded "Let me know your needs and your budget!" in response to a email asking for their rates. :negative: I asked you first! I beg hypothetical artists open to commissions to state your prices somewhere upfront so I know if my budget is even wildly within your asking price. :shobon:

I decided to shoot my shot anyways as the art style is what I look for and I hope I didn't like hilariously low ball because I'm poor (relatively speaking).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey guys, im currently working on buttons that I wanna sell at a pro wrestling show I work.

What I wanna do is just have white lettering on orange background. I was thinking of just printing black letters on orange paper but is there a way to print white lettering on orange paper? How would I go about that? Do standard color printers even have white ink?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Regular desktop printers don't have white ink, no. Can you print the orange and leave the letters white (no ink) ?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah you are going to either have to use white paper, or make something like a silk screen or a stamp if you want to use orange paper.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

HungryMedusa posted:

Regular desktop printers don't have white ink, no. Can you print the orange and leave the letters white (no ink) ?

This is actually a common misconception. All printer ink is actually white to start with but you just have to wait a long time or use the cartridge enough to get it to trigger the chemical change to get it to revert back to white.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would personally go the stamp route, you can get them made for not too much money then you can just stamp a bunch out in no time.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Warbird posted:

This is actually a common misconception. All printer ink is actually white to start with but you just have to wait a long time or use the cartridge enough to get it to trigger the chemical change to get it to revert back to white.

Thanks for this, I was putting mine in the microwave but not getting white. been doing it wrong all this time!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Forever ago, I saw either a project posted here or a link to a craft of an alien/fetus preserved in a jar. The guide was quite detailed and involved prosculpt and I think coca cola to tint whatever the suspension fluid is. I have found a couple guides, but they don’t have the wonderful sculpting/painting tips. Does anyone remember this off hand?

Edit: Thing in a jar!!! Google removed the mobile time filtering, but the before:XXXX year search works. Found this in a comment on an unrelated page, but I probably found it via Stumbleupon. RIP.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 24, 2023

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

nvm

an egg fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 25, 2024

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Landscape painting?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey! I don’t post here much, normally post my stuff in cined in some threads but I wanted to spread out to get more feedback

Is there a good place to post short films for that? I don’t want to shove my short film in the cinematography thread about lighting and stuff bc I’m not looking for feedback on that specific thing lol. Kind of the whole package

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to paint some cels. Not actually animate, just make some illustrations in that style with those tools... But I can't actually buy old school paints used back when traditional animation was common. The companies are out of business, and the replacements don't cover nearly as many colours.

Ultimately I can still just use other paints but I was really wanting to use Cartoon Colour vinyl paints. I have plenty of useable paint already, and there are fancier gouaches used for anime still available but it's always a bummer to find out an art supply you want just isn't made anymore.

Hard to even find used ones. Knew I should've gotten all this 30 years ago but I was an elementary school bum with no job.