Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
2 weeks ago I was standing barefoot in someone’s lawn and I felt something soft and somewhat heavy on my foot. It was a snake. I panicked and jumped in the air, kicking it a little bit into the distance, but not very far at all. It landed in the grass and was spazzing out, flailing around, flickering its tongue. It looked really surprised and confused. I ran away.

1 week ago I was in the forest and got to a grassy swampy sort of clearing. I had been hiking for hours and was pretty exhausted and not paying attention, and I stepped on a bluish-green garter snake that was camouflaged well with the grass. With my shoe pinning down the back end of the snake, it jumped up and tried to bite my shin, making a terrible snakey sound as it did so. I felt its head graze my leg, but it missed biting me. I jumped up and ran away screaming. I stopped to look at my leg to see if it had bit me, and I didn’t see any puncture marks, but there was a small amount of a foamy white substance on the hairs of my leg where I had felt its head graze me. I wiped it off with a leaf.

What’s your snakiest encounter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

once I took a college friend camping in the Owyhees and we went walking along the edge of a creek where there were a lot of boulders that we had to climb over. there were also a lot of snakes of different kinds out enjoying the sunshine so i explained to her what rattlesnakes looked like and to be careful.

she was ahead of me, going thru a spot that was three big boulders surrounding a smaller rock in the middle, where we had to go over a boulder, then step on the smaller rock to climb onto the next boulder. "There's a snake between the rock and a boulder!" she exclaimed, "But it's not a rattlesnake!" *phew*

I proceeded to step down onto the smaller rock, close to the snake, and it snaked out from under the edge of the boulder allowing me to see that it was indeed a rattle snake and it did not appreciate us entering its rock area. I sprung to the next big boulder and scrambled to the top of it, and told her we were going to walk in the creek now for awhile.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Manifisto

not exactly a snake encounter, but I had a memorable non-encounter with snakes when hiking in tasmania. the log book at the trailhead had a dire handwritten warning:

BEWARE THE SNACKS

I did not see any snakes on that walk (but I did have some snacks). hiking in australia does keep you on your toes however, I guess a large proportion of the snakes are poisonous (and I think all the ones in tasmania are). staying on the path is unusually important compared to other places I've hiked, because it lets you see what you might or might not be about to step on.

alnilam

One i mine is kinda similar to CoG's! I was hiking in the back parts of Hawk Mountain with a friend who was not much of a hiker and we were on a stretch that was mostly hopping and scrambling on boulders. I had told my friend to always look before he stuck his hand or foot somewhere and so far it had been good. Then we rested where there was a pretty view and then he dropped his sunglasses down between two boulders and i was sitting on the boulder below and i could see they had landed right on a rattlesnake who was chilling down in there! But my friend was already starting to blindly reach in there and i was like PULL BACK a rattlesnake has your sunglasses! And he did and it was looking up towards where his hand had been like wtf

We waited for it to move but it didn't so it got to keep the sunglasses

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
around here the snakes climb up into the grape vines sometimes to sun themselves and when my little niece sees one she always asks if it's a friendly snek or not. i want her to love nature so wether or not the snek seems like a dick i tell her it's friendly.

also there was that one time back in 1998 when i was on a documentary crew on a boat on the amazon with my friends ice cube and j lo when we were mercilessly stalked by a giant anaconda

MockingQuantum

Once upon a time when I still acted professionally, I had a summer job at an outdoor theater in Ohio. One of the... perks? of the job was that we were provided housing. The theater was on a mountain, and a little further down the mountain, there was a big compound with all of our cabins. It was basically summer-long camping, and since I was still in college it was pretty fun, honestly.

One of the charms of the compound, though, is that we were effectively in pretty deep wilderness (compared to the average living situation, anyway). We had at least three or four raccoons that learned our habits and when they could hang out outside our cabins to mooch some food. There were also a lot of possums, a whole host of different birds, including a ton of owls...

There were also a lot of snakes. Like, more than I'm accustomed to, and I grew up in a state where snakes are pretty plentiful. The theater company had an honest-to-god frontiersman on staff, so he took care of a lot of the nastier snakes that could have taken up residence (cottonmouths were not unheard of in the area). There were, however, still a ton of non-poisonous snakes, including one monster that was around 7.5 feet long. And they rarely found their way into the cabins, somehow. We tended to leave them alone when possible, because they controlled the rodent population around the compound, but we got together as a company and elected a handful of people (myself included) to a snake-removal crew.

Snake removal, as it turns out, basically involves two or three people (because that big bastard was surprisingly heavy) running into a cabin, scooping up a snake like they're carrying a battering ram, running out into the forest, and kind of lobbing the snake into the grass. The snakes were always surprisingly chill about them getting essentially log-rolled into the foliage, and there were never any issues with them attacking anyone, and if somebody managed to step on one at night or whatever they usually just slithered away.

But the most snakey encounter I had with one was when I discovered they can and do climb trees. and occasionally they're heavy enough to break tree limbs. and that having a snake fall from the sky to land a few feet in front of you is a deeply puzzling experience for your brain to reconcile.

I can try and remember some more, where I grew up prairie rattlesnakes were a pretty dangerous concern, even in the middle of town sometimes. Also we'd get cougars, coyotes, and grey wolves wandering through the outskirts of town occasionally but that's another story. I'm a little surprised I'm alive honestly

thank you luvcow for the sig

MockingQuantum

Luvcow posted:

around here the snakes climb up into the grape vines sometimes to sun themselves and when my little niece sees one she always asks if it's a friendly snek or not. i want her to love nature so wether or not the snek seems like a dick i tell her it's friendly.

also there was that one time back in 1998 when i was on a documentary crew on a boat on the amazon with my friends ice cube and j lo when we were mercilessly stalked by a giant anaconda

oh hey, that was you? I really loved you in Black Snake Moan, well done.

twoday

alnilam posted:

We waited for it to move but it didn't so it got to keep the sunglasses

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

alnilam

one time we was huntin for porcini in an appalachian wilderness in PA traipsing thru the brush at times and suddenly my wife told my friend hey stop there's a huge snake about 10 yards in front of you and we looked closer an it was a dang ol cottonmouth!! :wth: just coiled up chilling, didn't really react to us so we kept our distance and moved on but it was scary to think my friend came that close to stepping right by it

alnilam

hell ya :frogc00l:

twoday

Once when I was young my father was mowing the lawn and he ran over a black snake, and then panicked and ran over it again and again till it was about 100 snake pieces. He gathered them into a plastic bag, and not knowing what to do with them, hung them from a tree. This was in the early afternoon, and I will tell you (because I will never be able to forget it) each piece of that snake kept slithering and twitching over the others in that bag until the sun went down. It also smelled really really bad.

The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

twoday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80uSeDhQTW0

Farecoal

There he go

twoday posted:

He gathered them into a plastic bag, and not knowing what to do with them, hung them from a tree.

????

??????

MockingQuantum

Farecoal posted:

????

??????

we all respond to trauma differently

though the idea of someone out there who responds to all trauma by putting things in bags and hanging them from trees is both funny and terrifying

not saying twoday's dad is that person, but it was an image I couldn't get out of my head

City of Glompton

not ready

when I was little I’d stay at my grandparents house that was river front. there was a snake pit under the house. my uncle was always catching snakes and chopping them up into bits and giving them to the neighbor as crab bait or for fishing.

I remember he’d catch a lot of catfish with the snake bait. he’d catch a fish, nail its head to a tree, skin and gut it and then throw the head attached to the bones into a bucket of water. the fish remains would still swim around for a while afterwards.

not really a snake story, more of a hanging things from trees story.

Wanted By Weed

the day before yesterday I went on a fishing trip to my grandfather's farm, which has a few abandoned stone quarries which have been filled in with water and are full of bass and crappie.

anyway, there was this little water snake who kept coming to visit while I was fishing, he's a type that hunts the minnows at the water's edge. He was so cute.
It was one of these

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
one time when I was a pretty young kid, I saw a cat catch a snake and, naturally, run into the house we lived in. I was outside playing on the front lawn, but within a minute my mom was rushing out onto the step, shouting with her hands waving in the air. so then a visiting friend of a neighbor was talked into going inside and bringing it out, and all of us kids got to have a look at it before he threw it over the fence and into the big field next to our development (where it probably came from).

more generally, I saw lots of these guys on sunny days when I would go walking in the wilderness parks around the town I used to live in. just chilling in a coil in the grass right off the trail, soaking up some UV.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

City of Glompton

sharp-tailed snake in northern calif is one of my favorite snakes (pictured below in my dad's hand)

they eat slug eggs and they are small, this one is 5-6 inches long

alnilam

City of Glompton posted:

sharp-tailed snake in northern calif is one of my favorite snakes (pictured below in my dad's hand)

they eat slug eggs and they are small, this one is 5-6 inches long

omg tiny snak :3:

Manifisto

hmmm maybe snek could be part of byob font? capital L?

City of Glompton

:swoon:

Manifisto

:agreed: good snek

is it maybe more of a lower case b?

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Manifisto posted:

:agreed: good snek

is it maybe more of a lower case b?

Maybe flip it horizontally and make it a &?

Manifisto

Barking Gecko posted:

Maybe flip it horizontally and make it a &?

that also works

a versatile snek

ChokeArtist

twoday posted:

2 weeks ago I was standing barefoot in someone’s lawn and I felt something soft and somewhat heavy on my foot. It was a snake. I panicked and jumped in the air, kicking it a little bit into the distance, but not very far at all. It landed in the grass and was spazzing out, flailing around, flickering its tongue. It looked really surprised and confused. I ran away.

1 week ago I was in the forest and got to a grassy swampy sort of clearing. I had been hiking for hours and was pretty exhausted and not paying attention, and I stepped on a bluish-green garter snake that was camouflaged well with the grass. With my shoe pinning down the back end of the snake, it jumped up and tried to bite my shin, making a terrible snakey sound as it did so. I felt its head graze my leg, but it missed biting me. I jumped up and ran away screaming. I stopped to look at my leg to see if it had bit me, and I didn’t see any puncture marks, but there was a small amount of a foamy white substance on the hairs of my leg where I had felt its head graze me. I wiped it off with a leaf.

What’s your snakiest encounter?

This happened to a friend of mine.

twoday

MockingQuantum posted:

we all respond to trauma differently

though the idea of someone out there who responds to all trauma by putting things in bags and hanging them from trees is both funny and terrifying

not saying twoday's dad is that person, but it was an image I couldn't get out of my head

Look. We lived in a rural area. You don't want to keep a bunch of gore on your lawn and so you clean it up. It stinks and it's bloody and it's moving, so you don't want it in the house. It will attract raccoons if left in a garbage can, and they will spread it out everywhere, and then everything is covered in blood, and then bears come. So you tie it to a string and hang it from a high tree branch, out of reach of wildlife, until garbage day, and hope for the best.

twoday

He probably should have put in the garage tho

Robot Made of Meat

I live in the country. There's WAY too much out there for me to put the icky stuff either in a tree or in the garbage. Something will eat it eventually.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Farecoal

There he go

twoday posted:

Look. We lived in a rural area.

That makes more sense, I was imagining this happening in some suburb

twoday

Yeah, pretty rural. When we wanted to plant a patch of vegetables we first had to clear a patch of forest to do so, and my parents had me do that by chopping the trees down with an axe. My pet Guinea pig was eaten by a fox. I was constantly covered in ticks.

There was a small coal-fired furnace in the basement of our house, and in our garage there was a giant container larger than a car filled with chunks of coal, and I remember being sent down into the basement to shovel coal into the furnace during the winter to keep the house warm. I remember playing with the coal, using it like chalk to write on the sides of the dusty wooden container.

I had a normal bedroom upstairs, but there was a section of the basement opposite from the furnace and the garage that had been walled off in the 70s to create a separate room that was lined with typical wood paneling from that time. That side of the house was built into a hill, so there was only one window at the top of one of the walls in this room that let in natural light. It was somewhat dank and basementy and unpleasant. It was always very cool in there because the room was semi-underground.

On some Saturday we ended up at a yard sale in the middle of nowhere, and bought an old waterbed for almost nothing. We took the frame into that basement room, and then put the mattress into the frame, then filled it via a garden hose. So suddenly we had an extra bedroom that was cool during the summer nights. I remember this being a big deal at the time. I guess we didn’t have decent air conditioning upstairs. So, in the winters I would sleep up in my normal bedroom, and on the hot summer nights, I would sleep on the waterbed downstairs. The water itself was also cool, I remember. It was refreshing, and bouncy and strange.

Anyway, one day I woke up down there, with the sun streaming in as a narrow ray through the one small window, and I got up and noticed a large snake skin lying in the middle of the floor. There was a nest of snakes living under the stairs that led into the house (including the one my father killed), and I guess they figured out a way to get into the basement and were living down there. I think it must have been there for some time before leaving the visible evidence of shedding its skin. Though I had found the skin, I didn’t find the snake. I guess it was somewhere nearby. Maybe in the frame of the waterbed. Maybe behind the wood paneling. But I guess it must have been there for some time. I probably slept with a snake in my underground bedroom for many nights without knowing it. But that would not be surprising for such a rural area.

Anyway, after that I didn’t sleep there for the rest of the summer, and when the heat of the following summer hit, I slept there with one eye open.

twoday fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

• Locked thread