Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
Problem description: My computer will randomly freeze when it is left alone for a bit. The monitor will remain on and not in standby mode but the screen is black. The readout on my Logitech g15 keyboard also freezes. No amount of keypresses, mouse movement, or clicking will change this. I have to hold the power down on my tower until it turns off, then I can turn it back on. The computer does not crash or freeze when it is in use. It does this solely when left idle.

Attempted fixes: I have run a system file check and DISM. I have used the windows troubleshooting utility. I have updated my graphics drivers. I have updated the bios on my motherboard.

Recent changes: I have recently upgraded graphics cards from an HD 7850 2gb to a GTX 970.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

System specs: Homebuilt computer. Asus m5a99fx pro r.2 motherboard. FX-6300 processor at stock clock. 8gb ddr3 1600mhz g.skill RipJaws memory. MSI Gaming 4g gtx 970 graphics card. 750w 80+ bronze rated PSU (not sure of brand, would have to remove). 2 HDDs, onw 500mb and one 2tb.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

If the HDs are okay then you could run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight some time to check RAM health.

How old is the PSU?

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Zogo posted:

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

If the HDs are okay then you could run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight some time to check RAM health.

How old is the PSU?

Ran CDI. 2tb Disk E: is fine but 500gb disk C: has a yellow circle next to "Reallocated Sectors Count." Could that be the issue? If so, is there a good utility/method for making a clone of the C: drive's info onto drive E: so I don't have to start from scratch?

I'll run the memtest tonight and see what happens. With the utility running I don't think it'll go to sleep.

The PSU is probably really old. It was used when I got it and I've had it at least 4 years.

Edit: Oh god I have no idea how to use memtest

Sir Azrael fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 24, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sir Azrael posted:

The PSU is probably really old. It was used when I got it and I've had it at least 4 years.

Yea, the C drive is dying and it's probably the cause of the freezing. You'll just want to copy all important data from that drive onto E and then get a new drive.

The PSU is on the older side too and could also be an issue (if it's had heavy use).

Sir Azrael posted:

Edit: Oh god I have no idea how to use memtest

The easiest way is to extract files from http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip and install it onto an empty flash drive.

Then restart and boot from that flash drive.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

I educated myself a bit and got memtest running now. It's on its second pass and no errors yet.

I've been considering moving everything over to the 2tb drive anyway, so it's not that big of a deal, and if it solves my issue, all the better. I've been throwing around the idea of upgrading my rig anyway, I'd just like to get it working properly so that I can sell it with a clean conscience. If getting rid of the failing drive doesn't work I guess I'll look at replacing the PSU and going from there. I'll want a new PSU if I upgrade anyway and at that point I'll just part out the old rig. Thanks for the help!

Can you recommend a good program that will move the stuff off of the failing drive intact so that I don't lose my data and have to reinstall windows?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sir Azrael posted:

Can you recommend a good program that will move the stuff off of the failing drive intact so that I don't lose my data and have to reinstall windows?

No, I don't know of a good/reliable one that'll guarantee to get everything. Maybe someone else does.

I just copy files manually and make a list of all the important programs that will need to be reinstalled.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

So I took a 1tb HDD out of a working computer, cloned the 500gb drive to it using Macrium Reflect, and now that drive also has a yellow circle next to "Reallocated Sectors Count." :cripes:

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Went for the nuclear option. Took out my sealed 1tb HDD out of the closet and did a fresh install of windows onto it. New HDD passed with flying colors, just like my 2tb did. Formatting the old drives now and we'll see what happens. The only thing left is my PSU and GPU. If it's my PSU so be it but I am seriously going to cry if it's my GPU somehow. I bought it on SA-Mart about a month ago.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sir Azrael posted:

So I took a 1tb HDD out of a working computer, cloned the 500gb drive to it using Macrium Reflect, and now that drive also has a yellow circle next to "Reallocated Sectors Count." :cripes:

That's bad luck.

Make sure those two drives with reallocated sectors are disconnected as they could cause freezing just by being plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Zogo posted:

That's bad luck.

Make sure those two drives with reallocated sectors are disconnected as they could cause freezing just by being plugged in.

They're only going to be connected as long as it takes to format them. Then they're going away.

• Locked thread