Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Gnoman posted:

The new F7 fighter had barely been delivered before Matilda began dismantling it, removing the nose-mounted .50 caliber machine guns.

The reason why was unclear until she had it towed to the "calibration range" - a muddy patch of ground overlooking the lake, where maintenance crews test-fired vehicle-mounted weapons. With a roar like ripping canvas, the two new guns mounted in the nose fired as many rounds as the four guns they replaced - except each round was several times as large.

Sitting on a stump next to the range, an awestruck Kang takes in the spectacular stream of tracer and the ripple of exploding cannon shells.

"Amazing! We must get more planes...and something to shoot down enemy planes."

He shudders at the thought of being on the receiving end of that barrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

September 7th, 1955
Weather: 80 degrees Fahrenheit, sunny

At least it's getting a little cooler now. Not quite enough to encourage the troops to wear their service jackets all the time, but it's getting there. There's a fresh selection of missions up for grabs, including some more international work.

Search & Destroy

The (current) president of Colombia is trying to consolidate his power by eliminating the remaining guerrilla forces that he used to be allied with. Hunt through the jungle for enemy combatants and burn their camps.

Challenge Level: 210
Expected Combatants: Infantry, light armor, AAA
Payment: $1,400,000

Defend The Oil Pipeline

A new oil pipeline is being built through Alaska, and the Canadian government is concerned about environmentalist saboteurs. Deploy your arctic units to camp around the pipeline construction sites and eliminate any terrorists.

Challenge Level: 70
Expected Combatants: Infantry
Unusual Situation: Bomb Disarming
Payment: $410,000

Harbor Patrol

New France needs a few guards to bulk up security at the port of New Orleans after too many had to be fired due to taking bribes from smugglers.

Challenge Level: 15
Expected Combatants: Infantry, light boats
Payment: $25,000

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

While working on the assignments, there's a knock at Reginald's door. When the secretary opens it, there's a man standing with two armed Goons at his sides. He has a mustache.

"Ah, splendid of you to let me in!"

Reginald sighs and keys the intercom.

This will be continued in the Special Ops Discord channel.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

What we currently have to play with. The squad-platoon organization is merely a suggestion that may make planning easier. People can rearrange, break up, or disregard these structures as they see fit.

Bacarruda posted:

Marketing budget
Print marketing campaign: $10,000
Combat camera ride-along (two missions): $14,000

1st Tank Destroyer Platoons - can be split into 1st TD Section and 2nd TD Section, each with two Hellcats
4x M18 Hellcat (76mm and M2HB)
20x Great Lakes Tank Drivers (Combat 2, Driving 3, Social 1)
20x M3A1 Grease Guns (.45 ACP)
= 106 Combat Power [equipment only]
= $50,000 Monthly Upkeep
= $103,520 Deployment Cost

1st Armored Car Section
2x M8 Greyhound armored cars with 37mm, M1919 coax (.30-06), M2HB (.50 BMG)
10x Great Lakes Tank Drivers (Combat 2, Driving 3, Social 1)
10x M3 Grease Guns (.45 ACP)

1st Armored Rifle Platoon - can be split into 1st Rifle Squad, 2nd Rifle Squad, and 3rd Rifle Squad, each with one halftrack and 13 men.
3x M3 Halftrack with M2HB (.50 BMG)
36x Great Lakes Soldiers (Combat 2, Driving 1, Social 1)
3x Great Lakes Factory Workers (Combat Level 1, Driving Level 2)
33x Thompson Light Rifle (.30 Carbine)
3x T52E2 (.30-06)
3x M1 Bazooka (2.36 inch M6 rocket)
3x M79 grenade launcher (40mm)

2nd Armored Rifle Platoon - can be split into 4th Rifle Squad, 5th Rifle Squad, and 6th Rifle Squad, each with one halftrack and 13 men.
3x M3 Halftrack with M2HB (.50 BMG)
36x Great Lakes Soldiers (Combat 2, Driving 1, Social 1)
3x Great Lakes Factory Workers (Combat Level 1, Driving Level 2)
33x Thompson Light Rifle (.30 Carbine)
3x T52E2 (.30-06)
3x M1 Bazooka (2.36 inch M6 rocket)
3x M79 grenade launcher (40mm)

Demo Team
1x M3 White Scout Car with M2HB (.50 cal)
5x Great Lakes Demo Men
1x Great Lakes Factory Worker
6x M1A1 Carbines (.30 Carbine)
1x M2 Flamethrower
1x M18 recoilless rifle (57mm)

Scout Jeep
1x Willys MB Jeep
2x Expatriate French Soldiers
1x M2HB (.50 BMG) - mounted on the Jeep
2x United Defense M42 (9mm)

Groupe d'Assaut
2x New French Machine Gunners
8x New French Expatriate Soldiers
2x Browning M1919 Stingers (.30-06)
4x Thompson M1928A1 (.45 ACP)
4x T48 (.30-06)

PT-001
1x Elco PT Boat with two dual M2HB, one 20mm Oerlikon, one 37mm cannon, one Bofors 40mm
10x Conch Republic Boatmen
5x Sunshine State US Navy Sailors
2x Sunshine State Combat Divers
7x M1928A1 Thompson (.45 ACP)
10x M1 Carbine (.30 Carbine)
2x HDM (.22 LR)
2x V-42 Stiletto

Goon Air Force (GAF)
2x P-51D Mustangs with 5x AN/M2 (.50)
1x F7F Tigercat (modified) with 4x 20mm, 2x 30mm, 4x .50 in gunpods
1x Bell 47 with 2x AN/M2 (.30-06)
1x YR-5A with 2x M10 Rocket Pods (4.5 inch)
1x Appalachian Helicopter Pilot
1x Sunshine State US Navy Pilot
4x PC Pilots (Matilda, Cochrane, Wells, Larsen)
5x M2 PDW (.30 Carbine) - for self-defense

Spy Car Limo
2x Cut-down M1919A4 (.30-06) with 500 rounds ($400 deployment cost)
196lb of 1/3rd inch steel armor in passenger compartment (DR 21)
Hand controls for Reginald

Motor Pool
2x DUKW (one with .50 cal, one with 57mm recoilless rifle)
3x Staff cars
1x Car

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
J.Cochrane's Shopping List:

1x Browning Hi-Power $400
Shoulder Holster $50
Improved Visibility Sights $75
first aid kit $10
Pilot survival vest $250
flashlight $20
Parachute + Reserve $1000
Fragmentation Vest $200
brass knuckles $10
Steel-toed Boots $100
Late Leather Helmet $70
Anti-G suite $5000
Fireproof Suit $200

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

(This is to get the ball rolling and some discussion started.)

In the nearly-empty mess hall, Kang leans against the wall listens as one of the grizzled tankers and a few weather-beaten sergeants argue with each other over the current mission.

"Dammit, Jenkins! I ain't going to no goddamned Bolivian jungle," the tank destroyerman grumbles.

The oldest sergeant, a man in his 40s responds with a note of exasperation in his voice. "For the last fuckin' time Parker, it ain't Bolivia. It's Colombia."

"Doesn't make a drat bit of difference to me. We got enough bugs here, anyways." Parker spit on the floor and scowled.

"You wanna go to Alaska?" Jenkins fires back. "I was on Attu in '43. drat right I ain't happy about going back there. Ain't no drat way you're gonna drive a Hellcat through that mush. 'sides Ramos is gonna need your TDs down in Colombia"

Ramos, the shortest man in the group, doesn't look much happier. "Just cause I hablo, doesn't mean I gots to be the one who goes to Colombia. Cuba, ok. I like Havan. But not the fuckin' jungle, 'mano. Fuckin' snakes and poo poo down there."

"Things don't seem to bad to me," chuckles a stocky sailor with a Thompson cradled on his lap. "New Orleans, here I come!"

"Chief, you've been rubbing that in since yesterday. Give it a loving rest, will you?"

Chief Bryant mockingly flipped off the soldiers and went back to cleaning his tommy gun. "Have fun, boys."

"Alright. Let's read over this one more time."

chitoryu12 posted:

Search & Destroy

The (current) president of Colombia is trying to consolidate his power by eliminating the remaining guerrilla forces that he used to be allied with. Hunt through the jungle for enemy combatants and burn their camps.

Challenge Level: 210
Expected Combatants: Infantry, light armor, AAA
Payment: $1,400,000

1st Tank Destroyer Platoon "Black Panthers" (Lieutenant "Suds" Pilsudski and Sergeant Parker) (4x M18 Hellcats with 76mm and M2HB, 20x Great Lakes Tank Drivers, 20x M3A1 Grease Guns)
1st Armored Rifle Platoon "Blitz Doughs" (Lieutenant Mayfair and Sergeant Ramos) (3x M3 half-tracks with M2HB, 3x Great Lakes Factory Workers [drivers], 36x Great Lakes Soldiers, 36x Thompson Light Rifles, 3x T52E3 machine gun, 3x M79 grenade launchers [with tear gas and HE grenades], 3x M1 Bazooka, 30x Mk II fragmentation grenades)
Groupe d'Assaut (Sergent Pierre) (2x New French Machine Gunners, 8x Expatriate Soldiers, 2x M1919 "Stingers," 4x T48, 4x M1928A1, 1x M2 Flamethrower)
1st Aeroscout Section (1x Bell 47/OH-13 with 2x AN/M2 .30 cals, 1x YR-5A with two M10 triple rocket launchers, 1x PC pilot, 1x Appalachian Helicopter Pilot, 2x M2 PDW, 2x Smith & Wesson Hand Ejectors)
Mustang Pair (2x P-51 Mustangs with 6x M2 .50 cals, 4x HVARS and 2x napalm tanks each, 1x Sunshine State US Navy Pilot, 1x PC Pilot, 2x M2 PDW, 2x Smith & Wesson Hand Ejectors [or whatever else they prefer])
DUKW #2 (57mm)

"Travel by train to Chicago. Then from Chicago to New Orleans. At New Orleans, take the SS Panama Star to Barranquilla. From there, proceed overland.

Aeroscout helicopters will locate guerrilla forces. Two squads of Infantry will cordon the area. Groupe d'Assaut, one infantry squad, and tank destroyers will search and destroy the objective. Mustangs will provide preparatory close air support on request. Aeroscouts to orbit area during clearance to provide observation and fire support.

chitoryu12 posted:

Defend The Oil Pipeline

A new oil pipeline is being built through Alaska, and the Canadian government is concerned about environmentalist saboteurs. Deploy your arctic units to camp around the pipeline construction sites and eliminate any terrorists.

Challenge Level: 70
Expected Combatants: Infantry
Unusual Situation: Bomb Disarming
Payment: $410,000

1st Armored Car Section "Hell Hounds" (Sergeant Martinelli) (2x M8 Greyhounds with 37mm, M2HB and M1919, 10x Great Lakes Tank Drivers, 10x M3A1 Grease Guns)
2nd Armored Rifle Platoon "Purple Heart Boxers" (Lieutenant van Fleet and Sergeant Jenkins) (2x M3 half-tracks with M2HB [leave one halftrack behind], 3x Great Lakes Factory Workers [drivers], 36x Great Lakes Soldiers, 36x Thompson Light Rifles, 3x T52E3, 3x M79 [with HE grenades], 3x M1 Bazooka)
Combat Engineer Team (Sergeant McDowell) (1x M3 Scout Car with M2HB, 1x Great Lakes Factory Worker [driver], 5x Great Lakes Demo Men, 1x M18 57mm recoilless rifle, 1x M79 grenade launcher, 6x M1A1 Carbines)
Scout Jeep (Caporal Laval) (1x Willys MB Jeep, 1x M2HB, 2x New French Expat Soldiers, 2x United Defense M42)
DUKW #1 (M2HB)

Take a train from Detroit to Chicago. Switch trains for Chicago to Seattle. Train from Seattle of Vancouver. Then drive the Alaska Highway to the pipeline site. Pitch camp and establish basic defenses. Run regular mounted and dismounted patrols of the pipeline and the surrounding area Set up ambushes on likely terrorist movement routes.

chitoryu12 posted:

Harbor Patrol

New France needs a few guards to bulk up security at the port of New Orleans after too many had to be fired due to taking bribes from smugglers.

Challenge Level: 15
Expected Combatants: Infantry, light boats
Payment: $25,000

PT-001 "The Fighting First" Crew (Chief Bryant) (NO PT BOAT! 5x US Navy Sailors, 10x Boat Drivers, 2x Combat Divers, 7x M1928A1, 10x M1 Carbine, 2x HDM .22, 2x V-42 Stiletto)

Train from Detroit to Chicago. Then proceed by rail to New Orleans. Sent guards and two-man foot patrols at the port. Keep a 5-man response team ready to go at all times.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 7, 2018

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
that looks good, but i don't know if we really need that much in alaska. it's only 70 challenge, right?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can I vote to just...decline one of the first two jobs? The last one seems unobjectionable, but I don't want to be some wannabe banana republic leader's lapdog. (The second could at least be justified by the idea that bombs would cause even more ecological harm, but still, it's a bit off.)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Cochrane stubs out a cigarette on the wall map and gruffly volunteers for the Colombia mission.

"I hear they got a lot of emeralds down there. Might be worth the trip."

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

So it looks like Matilda, Rupert, Reginald, and Kamran on the special op?

If we need a fifth for Chit's story purposes, Kang can take a low-key background role as a driver and lookout. He'll (a little grudgingly) leave the heavy artillery at home.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

that looks good, but i don't know if we really need that much in alaska. it's only 70 challenge, right?

I figured out in the Alaska backcountry, having plenty of mobile troops to patrol a long-rear end pipeline was worth it, so I threw in the armored cars.

Should we leave 'em at home?

Davin Valkri posted:

Can I vote to just...decline one of the first two jobs? The last one seems unobjectionable, but I don't want to be some wannabe banana republic leader's lapdog. (The second could at least be justified by the idea that bombs would cause even more ecological harm, but still, it's a bit off.)

It's hard to say no to a million bucks and change. Especially now that we're gonna have some bigger expenses coming up (artillery, a second PT boat, more aircraft, etc.).

Besides, if we don't do it, then the government's gonna tap the Colombian Army and right-wing (or left-wing, depending on who's winning La Violencia at the moment). And... well, those guys are a band of mass-murdering fucks. Figure we can do it better and get paid in the process.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Yes, you can vote to refuse jobs. There's nothing mandating you to take every single offer on the table.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Bacarruda posted:

So it looks like Matilda, Rupert, Reginald, and Kamran on the special op?

If we need a fifth for Chit's story purposes, Kang can take a low-key background role as a driver and lookout. He'll (a little grudgingly) leave the heavy artillery at home.

I figured out in the Alaska backcountry, having plenty of mobile troops to patrol a long-rear end pipeline was worth it, so I threw in the armored cars.

Should we leave 'em at home?

It's hard to say no to a million bucks and change. Especially now that we're gonna have some bigger expenses coming up (artillery, a second PT boat, more aircraft, etc.).

Besides, if we don't do it, then the government's gonna tap the Colombian Army and right-wing (or left-wing, depending on who's winning La Violencia at the moment). And... well, those guys are a band of mass-murdering fucks. Figure we can do it better and get paid in the process.

yeah, i'd rather we do the colombia job. we won't do war crimes at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A fifth member on the special op isn’t required, but Kang is free to join. 5 is just my hard limit because of the specifics of the job.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
would just a demo team and the armored cars be enough for alaska?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

would just a demo team and the armored cars be enough for alaska?

In theory, yeah. Just one M8 Greyhound has a ton of fire power (it's got +10 combat point just from machine guns alone).

But I still think we need some doughboys to come along. Two armored cars and five engineers just aren't up to guarding a camp, patrolling the pipeline, manning OPs, setting up ambushes, and responding to attacks. Sending along an infantry platoon with about forty guys gives the Alaskan task force the boots on the ground they need.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Bacarruda posted:

In theory, yeah. Just one M8 Greyhound has a ton of fire power (it's got +10 combat point just from machine guns alone).

But I still think we need some doughboys to come along. Two armored cars and five engineers just aren't up to guarding a camp, patrolling the pipeline, manning OPs, setting up ambushes, and responding to attacks. Sending along an infantry platoon with about forty guys gives the Alaskan task force the boots on the ground they need.

Yeah alright. I agree with your plan. Let’s get it settled and the men deployed so we can do this assignment.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Can my character go on the oilpipe mission?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Stago Lego posted:

Can my character go on the oilpipe mission?

i don't see why not. just join the discord. there should be link in the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kang starts stuffing his kit into a beat-up secondhand sea bag. He thinks for a minute and decides to squeeze in just one more C-ration. It was gonna be a long trip to Colombia and he didn't want to go hungry.

The poor seabag was bulging by now. Boxes of .45 ammo. Grenades, lots of grenades. A stack of D ration chocolate bars. A small hacksaw. Three blocks of Comp C. Spare socks. And a few more odds and ends.

With all the scouts and engineers heading north to Alaska, the Colombian task force was a little short-handed. Sergeant Ramos had half-persuaded, half-bribed Kang to go along (Vat 69 wasn't half-bad, Kang had decided).

Kang will go on the Colombia operation and ride along with the armored infantry. He'll bring along this kit:
1x Thompson M1928A1 ($150) +2 combat power
1x Webley Mk II with 6x half-moon clips ($48) +1 combat power
1x Mark I trench knife
6x Mk II frag grenades +6 combat power
5x Self-Igniting Molotovs +5 combat power

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 18, 2018

• Locked thread