Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
One thing I've noticed about NBA (sports) fans is that they like to declare certain outcomes as inevitable while at the same time seem horrible at actually predicting outcomes before they happen, or change their minds on inevitable outcomes continously. Because we all love to go back a couple years in the archives to see our bad opinions I figured I'd make it easy for 2018! The idea is to post your opinions, no matter how ill-informed, on how the recently drafted class will pan out. I decided to wait until after the draft as team and fit will likely make a difference.

Which 8 players will have the best career (regardless of draft position)(note if you are ordering or not)

Which 3 guys taken in the lottery (top 14) will bust?

Which 3 players outside the lottery (top 14) will have the best career?

ROY Prediction?

Who will win the MCW award for best rookie numbers despite being bad?

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Which 8 players will have the best career (regardless of draft position)(note if you are ordering or not)
1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren jackson Jr.
3. Deandre Ayton
4. Mo Bamba
5. Zhaire Smith
6. Collin Sexton
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Marvin Bagley
Kevin Knox
Jerome Robinson

Zhaire Smith
Khyri Thomas
Grayson Allen

ROY Prediction?
Luka! Luka! Luka!

Trae Young

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 22, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Mo Bamba will have a great career once he leaves Orlando for the Lakers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Rough Order

1. Ayton
2. Jackson Jr
3. Doncic
4. Bagley
5. Sexton
6. SGA
7. Carter Jr.
8. Mo Bamba

Trae Young
Miles Bridges
Porter Jr

White Donte
Lonnie Walker
Zhaire Smith

ROY Prediction?
DeAndre Ayton

Kevin Knox

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

In order:
1. JJJ
2. Ayton
3. Bamba
4. Luka
5. Lonnie Walker
6. SGA
7. Carter
8. Bagley

Sexton
Trae
Knox (hope not!)

Lonnie
Donte
Spellman

ROY Prediction?
Luka. I think he will be superseded in a few years once the bigs mature.

Bagley

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 22, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FYI, I made an edit to ask for 3 guys outside the lottery who'll succeed, I messed up making the question.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

This is gonna be ordered:
1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren Jackson Jr
3. Deandre Ayton
4. Lonnie Walker
5. Trae Young
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Zhaire Smith
8. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

1. Michael Porter Jr.
Don't think he'll get to 100 games.

2. Jerome Robinson
He's on the Clippers and doesn't have a horde of Canadian fans to gas him up.

3. Mo Bamba

1. Lonnie Walker
2. Zhaire Smith
3. Josh Okogie
I have a feeling he'll end up as the 4th best player on a handful of contending teams at some point

ROY Prediction?
Luka for sure

It's gotta be Kevin Knox. Unless the Knicks sign another power forward, I can see them starting Knox until Porzingas is back and just let him throw up anything.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Bob Billiams for every answer. Thank you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm going to post here for posterity so it can be quoted to show my brilliance or my stupid opposition but I don't think Doncic is anywhere near a slam-dunk and while I think he'll be good I'll be surprised if he becomes a star-level player.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ayton's clearly the best player in the draft and will develop just fine

Doncic turns into a decent but not world beating ball handler

JJJ will be compared to Serge Ibaka after every weakside block

People are completely wrong about the late round sleepers this year and Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet, and Aaron Holiday are all cut/irrelevant in a year or two

Mo Bamba is actually good and the Magic will have a renaissance in the front court with him and Isaac

Trae Young is completely legitimate and turns into Atlanta's version of Gilbert Arenas

Wendell Carter low key becomes the most reliable starter out of everyone but Ayton for the next 10 years

Marvin Bagley is Derrick Williams 2.0 and the Kings become even more lost

Jerome Robinson is the next Donovan Mitchell and also for the next 5 or so years every SG taken in the 11-15ish range will be referred to as the next Donovan Mitchell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I'm going to post here for posterity so it can be quoted to show my brilliance or my stupid opposition but I don't think Doncic is anywhere near a slam-dunk and while I think he'll be good I'll be surprised if he becomes a star-level player.

I think believing he tops out at good but not great is reasonable but your trutherism on the average level of play at the highest levels of Europe relative to the NCAA remains pretty silly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

Marvin Bagley is Derrick Williams 2.0 and the Kings become even more lost

I waffled a lot between "Bagley is an athletic Kevin Love" and this take. I decided to have faith in Sacramento.

MourningView posted:

I think believing he tops out at good but not great is reasonable but your trutherism on the average level of play at the highest levels of Europe relative to the NCAA remains pretty silly

I don't think doing really well in that league automatically translates to NBA success. There are guys who played worse as veterans than I'd want top-5 picks to play who were also MVP candidates in Euro League. I don't think playing in the Euro-league makes you bad or anything, but I don't think it translates to the NBA the way its being made out.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 22, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

I decided to have faith in Sacramento.

You should be euthanized for this. Meet me out back

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

I waffled a lot between "Bagley is an athletic Kevin Love" and this take. I decided to have faith in Sacramento.

Vlade thinks he can play SF. Please revise that statement now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I don't think doing really well in that league automatically translates to NBA success. There are guys who played worse as veterans than I'd want top-5 picks to play who were also MVP candidates in Euro League. I don't think playing in the Euro-league makes you bad or anything, but I don't think it translates to the NBA the way its being made out.

No one is saying it's a guaranteed translation, just that it's more impressive than doing well in college, and that being as good as he was there is basically unprecedented at that age.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

I agree with you too and I think that the separation between NBA and overseas talent is evident when America has been running teams out of the building for years in the Olympics. While the Europe can produce stars, I think that the majority of players overseas are trash compared to G-Leaguers, much less NBA stars. It's like if you sent any top prospect overseas they're expected to dominate. I mean half the people who play in those euro league teams are washed out former college players or G-Leaguers.

MourningView posted:

No one is saying it's a guaranteed translation, just that it's more impressive than doing well in college, and that being as good as he was there is basically unprecedented at them age.

I think that's more because training young talent has taken a gigantic leap in the last decade than it being impossible to dominate the euro league as a gigantic 18 year old. Expect a few more Doncics coming down the pipe because Europeans aren't stupid anymore when it comes to top tier sports training.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one thinks Euroleagues are better than the NBA, just much better than college on average.

It's way better than the G-League though, that's insane. You can't make a living wage in the G League unless you're on a two way which is a fraction of the league's players, almost everyone with the ability to go make real money in Europe leaves and does that instead. They aren't leaving because they can't play with the G Leaguers they're leaving because it pays better to do so. Almost all the American guys in the ACB were like all conference type players in college.

Anyway this isn't the point of this thread so we can take this the regular thread if you want

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I guess? I mean you're not a moderator or the OP of the thread but I'll argue this somewhere else if you need it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ayton
Doncic
W. Carter
Mikal Bridges
Bagley III
JJJ
Gilgeous-Alexander
T. Young

Bamba
Robinson
Sexton

Z. Smith
L. Walker
A. Holiday

ROY Prediction?
Ayton

Bagley III

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jackson
Doncic
Ayton
Carter
Trae Young
Miles Bridges
Kevin Huerter
Okobo

Sexton
Porter (I like this pick for Denver just betting on the back being hosed up)
Knox

Huerter
Okobo
Walker

ROY Prediction?

Trae Young

Sexton or Bagley

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
1. Ayton
2. JJJ
3. Doncic
4. Bamba
5. Carter Jr
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Zhaire Smith
8. Gilgeous-Alexander

Porter Jr
Robinson
Young

Divincenzo
Robert Williams
Zhaire Smith

ROY Prediction?
Doncic

Trae Young

Khagan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 23, 2018

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No order
Luka, Ayton, JJJ, Carter, Both Bridges, Knox, Bamba

Which 3 guys taken in the lottery (top 14) will bust? Porter, Robinson, Shai

Huerter, Javon Carter, Holiday

ROY Prediction?Luka

Who will win the MCW award for best rookie numbers despite being bad?Bagley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Not the draft I'm most confident in doing this since it's the least I've been able to prep for in a few years but all right.
E: I don't think this forum is going to be around in 10 years or even 5 for us to really judge this but here we go

Unordered
1. Ayton
2. Doncic
3. Jaren Jackson
4. Trae Young
5. Wendell Carter
6. Porter
7. Lonnie Walker
8. Bamba

Bagley, Sexton, Knox

Walker, Wagner, Anfernee Simons

E2: I really want to have Shamet mentioned in this post somewhere too.

ROY Prediction?
Ayton

Bagley

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2018

• Locked thread