Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mekilljoydammit posted:

Wait what, the Forester ones are aluminum? Fit on a gd?

the second generation Foresters are aluminum. They are not a direct fit. It's going to require some fabrication to get them to Mount correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

2nd gen forester and 05+ legacy have aluminum beams. They are not a bolt on affair to the impreza. They are an aluminum beam with steel bolt on mounting plates. What we do is cut the stock impreza mounting horn off and weld it to the steel plate that came with the donor beam. Also had to hack the bumper covers to fit on. My reason for doing them instead of JDM beams or no beams is two fold, first a guy who I talk to who cut up a lot of imprezas and is building a drag car when ask why he isn't running JDM beams "I parted out too many where the trunk ended up in the back seat", and two I hit things racing, I want something beefy to try and save the car but light weight. First test was we drilled a dirt pile in the top of third gear, thought I smoked the front end and radiator but we were able to reverse out and finish, ziptied the bumper cover back on and called it good.

Sits about an inch lower than the stock one but I'm okay with that since I'm fighting stumps and trees not big rigs.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

daslog posted:

Then I tried a technique where I lesson the angle dramatically.

Front/Back

Not the greatest ever, but acceptable.

Fluxcore? Because if not, to my very untrained eye, it looks like you need to get more gas flowing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

I started on switching out the control Arm bushings. The silver colored thing on the end gets replaced by a nice one that adds some caster (ALK). The other bushing has to come out as well

Slow_is_fast told me this is the easiest way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DIp-oRWKI

Then a little hacksaw work to get the oute rmetal ring out. What a pain in the rear end. I need a press.

Next up is the short shift kit and the trans mount bushings.

Step 1: take out the trans mount stuff, throw it on the garage floor, and soak it in PB Blaster for a day or so.

Step 2: Observer and ignore your leaking transmission seal because that looks difficult to do with the transmission in the car

Step 3: take pictures of rusty shift linkage with old awful bushings

Step 4: Spend 1.5 knocking out the double roll pin to seperate all this poo poo from the transmission

Step 5: soak it all again in PB blaster, then soak your rear lateral links again and watch Monday Night Football.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Stock rear LL bushings are pretty easy to push out. For the rear trailing arm bushing in the knuckle a short section of pipe and a long bolt and some washers can be used to pull it out

I meant to suggest getting some new hardware ahead of time. Chances are you'll have to cut some of the lateral link bolts out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Yesterday, I started to attack the short shift kit.

This stuff has to come apart. Not happening

Time to chop the nut

Currently I'm stuck on trying to get the assembly to slide into the Kartboy block. It just doesn't want to go in as far as it needs to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Even my Michigan brain has me saying "oh gently caress that."

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If you're in a rust belt tell me why it's not better to buy arms and rods etc with the bushes new in the assembly?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Fo3 posted:

If you're in a rust belt tell me why it's not better to buy arms and rods etc with the bushes new in the assembly?

What Rust? That's perfectly normal for new Hampshire.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Steering rack is back in, short shift kit is installed, new trans mount is in, and new bushings are installed on the trans cross member. Today's goal was to get the lateral links out. I've been soaking the super long bolt with PB Blaster that everyone hates because it often won't come out.

Well, I went 1 for 2.

New bolt ordered on Amazon.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I skipped a bunch of stuff that I did from this thread. Car is running, and I took it to it's first RallyX with Slow is fast.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

I skipped a bunch of stuff that I did from this thread. Car is running, and I took it to it's first RallyX with Slow is fast.

A Subaru's natural state.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A few more pictures showed up in my feed today.

This area of the course was so loose a two foot berm allowed those of us on Gravel tires to just power through it. Great fin

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My wrx survived two drivers

WRX has been a pile of rolling deferred maintenance. Took it off the road when I got the Land Cruiser. Friday night we fixed the hydro brake system, fixed the parking brake, had to heehaw a rotor that hadn't have a parking brake guts in it for two years with a barrel sander, the tire machine, and a drill. Threw it all together and it drove okay so headed to the track. I made my childhood friend sign up and dual drive with me, hes living with his inlaws with two lovely yippy dogs and his two kids. He needs to get out.

I was decent:

But my friend is a savage:

Guy is good and I cant wait until his life settles down and his 00 impreza hatch that's at my shop is ready to party.

Was a good event, first run was solid, but the rain hit and poo poo went all to hell. There was no grip. Snows. Gravels. Didn't matter. The advantage went to the gravels because you can just dive the car into things without worrying about the debead. I debeaded one and had to play nice because I was driving the thing home... my 2nd driver didn't worry about it and sent it, yet somehow lucked his way through with no debead.

I wasn't the fastest and the car wasn't well prepared, but we had fun and looked good:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hardly ever see bugeyes anymore, even N/A. I'm scared to know what happened to my WRX. It already had bad synchros and some other problems I can't remember, which were really difficult to get warrantied with my crappy local dealer.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
does coating those rear jesus bolts in never seize help at all?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Probably a little but long term it won't stay in place. The way the upright is open through the middle is probably the biggest reason.

Also his new bushings use nicer stainless crush sleeves which should help.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

stgdz posted:

does coating those rear jesus bolts in never seize help at all?

I make the bolts look like they came out of the rear end of the tin man and they still were tight and took a few babs of the cordless impact to spin out when servicing the hubs.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

I make the bolts look like they came out of the rear end of the tin man and they still were tight and took a few babs of the cordless impact to spin out when servicing the hubs.

Yeah it was a huge pain in the rear end.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

daslog posted:

Yeah it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Every person I talked to about replacing those things says

"Yup I will pay the mechanic whatever he wants"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I put the snows on last night because it's snowing today. This morning, one was flat.

I think I see the issue

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
How does that even happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lightbulb Out posted:

How does that even happen?

Too many powerslides in gravel with low pressure?

• Locked thread