Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

So in the heat of things I was really upset about this decision and I apologize for calling you out about it. I'm sure you knew the backend more than we did so you wouldn't have put ArbC in a position to compromise the game. As it turns out ArbC did a great job of helping lead Town to victory so I'm thankful him/her stayed in the game.

I really had no extra knowledge whether I entered as town, maf, or the neutral killer. When mord initially asked me I was liked "ehhh but what about x/y/z" and he confirmed there wasn't any metagaming I could use. I was still a bit sad over the confusion it caused because Kash has also coincidentally targeted b-, but mechanically he was right.

That I went from bg to doc was p funny tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Rude.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SalTheBard posted:

So in the heat of things I was really upset about this decision and I apologize for calling you out about it. I'm sure you knew the backend more than we did so you wouldn't have put ArbC in a position to compromise the game. As it turns out ArbC did a great job of helping lead Town to victory so I'm thankful him/her stayed in the game.

Yeah. It was right before the day was supposed to start and I didn’t have anyone on standby, so my options were to either sub in ArbC, wait an extra day to open the game, or kill Kashuno. I felt like I took the option that made things run smoother faster.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ArbitraryC posted:

Feel like scum kinda gave up and didn't play after n1, hard to blame em but there woulda been more room for them if they tried to play.

I was deffo still trying up until d4 (I wasn't lying when I said that I was busy all weekend on d2) but when the werewolf died n3 it was impossible for us to win since the setup was open and it was too easy to piece together all the roles. Soda dying on D2 also hurt a lot because it removed any mystery about the Maf roles.

Podima posted:

I'm still not convinced that this game works in a non-real-time format like the original ToS.

I also agree with this. Part of the reason ToS works, I think, is because people simply don't have a whole lot of time to "solve the puzzle." When a day lasts 48-72 hours that gives you a lot of time to discuss, claim, prove your claims (or disprove others), and compare them against the setup.

That being said it was still fun, and one or two different happenings would have vastly changed the game.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I think this setup can work, Mord, but I would definitely encourage not telling people the exact numbers. Keep the various roles, but maybe have 3 mafia/1 Neutral Killer/2 Neutral evils or some other variation. Maybe town gets 2 doctors and a bodyguard but only one investigator. Anything to keep us from being able to compile the list almost all of us had from the start and we just filled in the blanks as people claimed.

It would lose some of its authenticity as ToS Mafia, but it would definitely create a more compelling game I think. It would also make the trials better because hey we could have 2 doctors or 2 vigilantes how would any of us know for sure?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think this setup can work, Mord, but I would definitely encourage not telling people the exact numbers. Keep the various roles, but maybe have 3 mafia/1 Neutral Killer/2 Neutral evils or some other variation. Maybe town gets 2 doctors and a bodyguard but only one investigator. Anything to keep us from being able to compile the list almost all of us had from the start and we just filled in the blanks as people claimed.

It would lose some of its authenticity as ToS Mafia, but it would definitely create a more compelling game I think. It would also make the trials better because hey we could have 2 doctors or 2 vigilantes how would any of us know for sure?

Yeah. I definitely like that idea.

One thing I really do like about ToS is that it is essentially a role madness game while still being mostly balanced.

I think if I were to do this again, I would have the 15 person role list look like:

1 Town Jailor
8 Random Town

1 Mafia Godfather
2 Random Mafia
1 Mafia Mafioso

1 Neutral Evil

1 Neutral Killing

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

b-minus1 posted:

Thanks for targeting me everyone!!

You getting dog piled night 1 and the cluster gently caress it caused was actually the highlight of the game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

I was deffo still trying up until d4 (I wasn't lying when I said that I was busy all weekend on d2) but when the werewolf died n3 it was impossible for us to win since the setup was open and it was too easy to piece together all the roles. Soda dying on D2 also hurt a lot because it removed any mystery about the Maf roles.
I mean you we're pretty much absent the whole game and so was beet. Sounds like it was in part unlucky timing and you both had poo poo going on but it certainly made an impact, the roles that got claimed were ones that with the info we had weren't verified, up until the last night the only people who were straight up confirmed town was Sal from 1 day, me if you believed AA's spy claim, and at the very end Hal. People believed the claims made because they were plausible and came from people who had been posting in a pro-town manner.

poo poo was so stacked against you from N1 that it might not have mattered, but you gotta consider that starting with 4 maf and 2 Neutrals against 9 town is a very quick game and unless they some strong info on maf by the end of day 2 it's over. I played ToS a handful of times before the thread started to get a grasp on the game and town won like less than 20% of them. I would hesitate to rewrite the entire rules off after how big of a fluke that n1 trade was.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I definitely like that idea.

One thing I really do like about ToS is that it is essentially a role madness game while still being mostly balanced.

I think if I were to do this again, I would have the 15 person role list look like:

1 Town Jailor
8 Random Town

1 Mafia Godfather
2 Random Mafia
1 Mafia Mafioso

1 Neutral Evil

1 Neutral Killing

I like the idea of more RT roles in the play by post format but dunno if I would necessarily go straight to all random, you could have 3/5 or 4/4. N1 was like like rolling a crit fail on a skillcheck that was supposed to be easy, like yeah the results were unfortunate but I dunno if you need to re balance all of DnD over it. If you take away 100% of the ability to count roles I think the balance would swing hard the other way, sure 5/3 may be too strong for town in a play by post format but that doesn't mean you should go 0/8. Lot of middle ground there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean you we're pretty much absent the whole game

nah

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

If there were lurker guns you and beet woulda been up for killing every day of the game. I get it you were busy with stuff but you were also absent from the thread. Anyone can click the little ? by your name and see why even before roleclaims it was p obvious who was around for votes but never contributed. Sure the vig claim ended up confirming it but you and beet were already at the top of every town's list before the day even started.

I was gonna push for one of you the previous day if AS hadn't gotten screwed over by the spy. Though I guess it prolly woulda been merk anyways at that point because of hal's info.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 5, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

if there were lurker guns I would have spammed to hit the postcount because lurker guns are a bad mechanic for lazy mods

also I was keeping up with the thread, ergo not absent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I thought I’d kill Hal night 1 or I probably would’ve just ignored the Jailer doc.

• Locked thread