Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dungeons are puddles of darkness, this is the sea.

WHEN: Tuesdays, 5-9 PM EST, weekly.
WHERE: Discord for voice, Roll20 to map crawl (free to sign up)
WHO: I need 4 brave souls.
WHY: Because no one wants to play OSR on Roll20, and this setting is really good.
WHAT: A 216 hex crawl of Veins of the Earth, featuring monsters from Fire on the Velvet Horizon. Every hex has an encounter (not necessarily a combat). We will be using rules from LOTFP.

Veins of the Earth is an Ennie ( https://www.geeknative.com/60112/ennies-2017-winners/ ) award winning game written by Patrick Stuart and drawn by Scrap Princess, a duo in the OSR scene that has been producing crazy evocative writing and primal artwork that looks like someone drew a picture of the creature they were fighting mid-battle then promptly hosed off. Two Ennies, actually - Silver for Best Monster/Adversary, and Silver for Best Writing. Think of the game as a twisted version of the Underdark - a game where the shadows have different depths like an ocean and seek to put out your torch, your adventurers trade relics that could be the focus of an entire campaign for a bit of moldy bread, and monsters directly from a fever dream that aren't always what they seem. This game will require a group of stalwart adventurers and players with strong stomachs and strong hearts.

THE ENDLESS DESCENT

At the deepest point of the dungeon, behind the throne, beyond the rooms where the battles took place, after everything is done and the enemy dead, there is a crack. A black empty space where the wall joins the stone floor, a foot and a half high and three wide. A breeze comes out. You’d never notice it. You could lie on your belly and fit inside.

IT NEVER ENDS

You have existed, up to this point, on the illusion of a plane, bordered by mountains, rivers, seas or the politics of maps, and this life has been a lie. Its borders are made up, its seas are gateways, its mountains are cradles of deep life. There is no plane.

You were raised within a history running back through recorded time, written in ink, carved in stone, scooped from clay, hidden in songs. Your primal myths are an eye-blink of the memory of that place. Your history is a candle burning out.

The real world, the deeper, more true world, is bordered only by light above and fire below, and perhaps not even by that.

When you loathe gold for its weight and count your wealth by a radius of illuminated rock and think yourself lucky to do so, then you have passed into the VEINS OF THE EARTH.

If you don't know Lamentations of the Flame Princess, that's a-ok. Here's a free legal complete rulebook, with the bonus of all the horrible art being removed! https://paulgorman.org/roleplaying/dnd/misc/LotFP_Rules_and_Magic_Free_Version_without_Art.pdf

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Some house rules and character generation...

CHARACTER GENERATION

Level 1. 3d6 in order. You are special, so you may swap the position of one ability score that was rolled with another. Human is the only race available. Starting wealth is 3d6 x 10 Silver Pieces. A Silver Piece is 1/100th of a Gold Piece. Primarily, your wealth will be measured in Silver Pieces. This game is deadly, you may have the chance to bring in another character.

We are using bits of the playtest document, which include the following rules on magic:

I may even use Wonder & Wickedness supplement to give everyone weird magic spells and keep everything nice and strange. It's fit for a spell system that uses no spell levels like LotFP is transitioning to. The creatures in this setting draw from their own list of spells which are as alien as the setting.

Clerics are gone. Add the Cleric spells to the Magic-user's repertoire. Demihumans are disallowed, but the race-as-classes can be easily reskinned. Dwarf becomes Barbarian, Halfling becomes Ranger, and Elf is Witch Hunter. They start with Comprehend Languages, since Read Magic is no longer in the game.

SETTING

Historical fantasy. Demihumans are not allowed. The year is roughly 1495. Black powder firearms are available. You don't need to know any history, as you will immediately be plunged underground.

ENCUMBRANCE

Imagine your character has a +0 modifier in every stat, and a +3 modifier for Intelligence. This chart says that you have 18 inventory slots.
The first block is CON MOD, the 2nd is STR MOD, the 3rd is DEX MOD, the 4th is INT MOD, the fifth is WIS MOD. All items count as one slot. A day of rations count as one slot. 100 Silver Pieces count as one slot. Some oversized items, like a greatsword, would count as two.

THE LUME

Underground, oil is the currency. Assume you can always trade oil or other sources of light as if it were silver. 1 Silver Piece = 1 Lume = 1 hour of light. Oil becomes light. Light gets you more time. Time gets you more money. Adventuring costs time. Setbacks cost time. When you run out of light, you will get lost. You will be subtracting Silver Pieces as we go, to represent the lume you have remaining.

LAMPS ARE INITIATIVE

This is quite simple - if you don't have a light source in combat, you don't roll initiative. If you are in the dark, you go last. In theatre of the mind, I will generally assume you are with whoever the source of the light is. If one side of the combat is dark, that side could potentially get a surprise round, but the side with the light will always win initiative rolls. Lamps and light sources you will collect will have different strengths which determines how far you can see. You will be notified if and when you collect one.

FOOD IN THE VEINS
The system for eating is pretty simple as well.

There are additional rules for being lost in the dark, breaking through tiles you should not be able to, finding food once you are completely out, falling, climbing checks.
We can go over these as we come to them. Most are just d20 rolls or varying checks and saving throws that then refer to a grisly chart. Do not worry too much about this.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 4, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, let me say, I'd really like to run this game. If the date is the one thing that doesn't work for everybody, I have some flex room. I'd just like to see someone committed to playing first.
If it's the Discord thing and you are too shy or don't have a working mic, then you can type. It doesn't bother me. I will be curating music, doing my best terrible voices, and reading some passages from Stuart's writing and trying to fill in the blanks in a similar gonzo style. I will be sharing Scrap Princess art as you encounter the creatures or scenarios. This will be a heavy narrative game, so bring your roleplay. This will be a game where combat is deadly, so bring your rollplay.

You also don't need to know poo poo about Roll20. You will be clicking on your skills and weapons and it's auto-rolling dice like a videogame. Some 5E familiarity and RPG experience would be appreciated, though.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 4, 2018

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I would so join this if I wasn't 6 hours ahead of EST :)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm free Mondays and Wednesdays during the day as well, if that's the time everyone could agree on.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I'm free Mondays and Wednesdays during the day as well, if that's the time everyone could agree on.

Why not Lamentations? Why 5e?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It could be either. I posted this game for a week in Roll20 with no bites as LotFP, using some of the rules from the new Playtest Document, and 150 people viewed it but not a single reply. It could still be run in that system, but 5E I know very well, and if that's what people are more comfortable with, I thought I'd give it a shot like that.
I make games that I want to play in, and almost every other one has found an audience either IRL or on Discord & Roll20. This one is kind of a passion thing that I'd like to get people hype about, but nobody seems to care! I'd like to run Deep Carbon Observatory, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Vornheim, Carcossa, etc. Maybe as some sort of mega-campaign that starts with Deep Carbon and extends down into the dark. I prefer sessions to play-by-post, so I'm trying to make it live that way. People know 5E better, and Roll20 is full of notorious flakes. I thought changing the system would make those people want to dip their toe in, because throwing WEIRD FANTASY in their face even with a FREE RULESET available just has been completely and utterly unsuccessful. I have a lot of completely awesome game books that will never, ever be used on my shelf and I thought this one was a little special. I've been trying my hardest to make it work.

I would prefer to run it as Lamentations. I would run it in 5E easily.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Why not Lamentations? Why 5e?
Patrick Stuart is brilliant - I would love to play this in something not-5e. (I don't like being a prima donna but I run 5e weekly and that's perhaps too much already.) Tuesdays work for me but I probably couldn't start until 6:30 or so. No worries at all if you get someone more suitable but there's my tepid application.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I mean, that's better than nothing. Could a mod maybe help me change the [5E] tag to [OSR] or even [LotFP]? I'll change my post accordingly. Goons seem more open to weird than your average gamer, and it makes my heart sing.

E: Edited and updated. This is the type of soundtrack I'm going for this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLZS1dIXxs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mA3Qb3LK5c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfWP7-o5hvc Also Stuart Chatman's Darkest Dungeon music, some of the music from The Descent that fits.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Here is my Roll20 link, if anybody is interested in signing up. It's basically v.02 of the OP, with the LFG link if you care to show your interest. Thanks to those who did.
https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6553085/lfp-osr-veins-of-the-earth-an-underdark-hex-crawl-nightmare

• Locked thread