Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After a 6 year break and a year of delays, the (very possibly final) album by Spiritualized is finally coming out on September 7 on Fat Possum records.

quote:

In a press statement, Spiritualized’s Jason Pierce elaborates on his comments about this being the band’s final album: “I was quite sincere about that and I still feel like it might be the case. It was such hard work. I found myself going crazy for so long. It’s not like there’s no coming back, I’m fine now… it’s just such a hard thing to do, to make a record like this on your own.”

:ohdear:

Jason Pierce started making music as a teen in the 80s psyche-noise trio Spacemen 3, generating some of the most influential indie music of his era, before moving on to forming Spiritualized and generating even more, better music.

First single is "I'm Your Man":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNrHoLS1zc

Spiritualized has been my favorite band for going on 22 years now, and I am beyond psyched!

He's announced 3 shows, with a full tour coming later:

Sunday 23 September 2018
Cabaret Sauvage, Paris, France

Thursday 11 October 2018
Kings Theatre, Brooklyn, NY, US

Tuesday 16 October 2018
Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I pre-ordered that record without hesitation, with full disclosure that I'm a sucker for everything that man produces.

Do you have a favorite LP?

What's your go to Spacemen 3 record? I only have Perfect Perscription and the recently re-released Dreamweapon but I need to take advantage of the other material that has seen represses recently.

I really hope his "final" live tour makes it to my area of the states, but I'll travel if need be. His live shows NEVER disappoint in my opinion.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

taking d r u g s to make music to take d r u g s to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

I pre-ordered that record without hesitation, with full disclosure that I'm a sucker for everything that man produces.

Do you have a favorite LP?

What's your go to Spacemen 3 record? I only have Perfect Perscription and the recently re-released Dreamweapon but I need to take advantage of the other material that has seen represses recently.

I really hope his "final" live tour makes it to my area of the states, but I'll travel if need be. His live shows NEVER disappoint in my opinion.

Favorite Spiritualized record is such a hard question. In a lot of ways, I still think Pure Phase is the best, and it definitely has some of my absolute favorite songs ever on it - "Medication", "Lay Back in the Sun", and loving "Spread Your Wings". So good. Let It Come Down was my favorite for a long time, and I still think it's generally better than LAGWAFIS with things like "The Twelve Steps" and "Don't Just Do Something" and "Won't Get to Heaven the State I'm In".

Sweet Heart Sweet Light and Songs in A&E I probably haven't listened to as much as I should. I like them a lot, but they're more in the direction of soulful simple music rather than psychedelic bliss-out.

I almost think sometimes I like Spacemen 3 even more than Spiritualized (I have a tattoo of the logo on my left forearm). Perfect Prescription and Playing With Fire are both pretty great. Dreamweapon is fantastic to zone out to as well, I still remember the night that I stayed at a friend's house and he went to bed early, giving me a bag of weed, a copy of The Illuminatus! Trilogy, and put Dreamweapon on. That was a good time.

I used to have all his stuff on vinyl and I'm trying to get back to that point, especially now that things are getting re-issued.

An Apple A Gay posted:

taking d r u g s to make music to take d r u g s to

I really wish I still had my copy of that. It's like, impossible to find now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another new song (dig the musical callback to "Medication" at the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYKUWM_o60

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the post and the links. I just checked my iTunes, and to my surprise, I don't have Pure Phase on there, which is odd, as I know I have the CD somewhere. (LE glow in the dark packaging!)

So streaming it now, ta. Will have another listen to the albums I have of theirs tonight, but I think my favourites will be Lazer Guided Melodies and Live at the RAH. I saw them touring Ladies and Gentlemen in the late 90s, and bought a navy Spiritualized polo shirt. That was some mature merch. I think it was my first polo.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Teach posted:

So streaming it now, ta. Will have another listen to the albums I have of theirs tonight, but I think my favourites will be Lazer Guided Melodies and Live at the RAH. I saw them touring Ladies and Gentlemen in the late 90s, and bought a navy Spiritualized polo shirt. That was some mature merch. I think it was my first polo.

Was that when they opened for Radiohead when those dudes were touring OK Computer? So happy to see some love for the Albert Hall live album. I truly think it's a supremely underrated live album. That rave up "Walking with Jesus" is sublime.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
No, it was a year or two before that, I think. maybe '97? They were headlining (yay!) in Wolverhampton (boo!).

Listening to that version of Walking With Jesus as I type - thank for the reminder.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

Was that when they opened for Radiohead when those dudes were touring OK Computer?

I had a chance to go to that tour in Chicago and missed it. :mad:

I did see Radiohead open for REM in '95 though and that was weird wild stuff. "Creep" was the encore. haha.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Pierce complaining how hard it is to make music on your own made me laugh.
Stop sacking your bandmates then, you twat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kingturnip posted:

Pierce complaining how hard it is to make music on your own made me laugh.
Stop sacking your bandmates then, you twat.

One wonders how long before the inevitable Spacemen 3 reunion. I know that Pierce is broke as gently caress, at one point about 10 years ago he was literally homeless and said that "Spiritualized operates at a loss", especially the live shows he was doing with 15+ musicians.

But I also know that he's been super adamant about there never being a reunion, and I'm pretty sure he and Sonic Boom haven't spoken in about 20 years. And while yeah a reunion might be cool, it's an artistic dead-end for Pierce. So despite how much I personally might enjoy it, I don't really want it to happen, especially since I've seen Spiritualized do plenty of Spacemen 3 songs anyhow.

But you know, the prospect of getting to see "Revolution" live is pretty drat tempting.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So the album release is nigh! Has anyone else heard it yet? USPS came through for me yesterday.

What I got to hear last night made me super happy, except having to take it off during an especially noisy freak out section due to my kid going to bed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm listening to it now and.... yikes.

Even if the rest of the album is nothing but silence, the first song alone is probably the best song he's done since LAGWAFIS.

The lyrics to it also happen to perfectly coincide with my mental state, as I am experiencing... uh... difficulties... with my wife.

J Spaceman, why you always gotta release records when my life is in chaos? <3

edit: Yeah, the whole album is fantastic. Absolutely his best since Let It Come Down, and better than that album by a decent margin. If this really is the last thing he ever does, it's a truly fitting end

precision fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 8, 2018

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

precision posted:

The lyrics to it also happen to perfectly coincide with my mental state, as I am experiencing... uh... difficulties... with my wife.

Same, goon - same. It's a good album, though, isn't it?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've given it multiple listens and I enjoy it more every time. I appreciate the balance he weaves between a song like "Let's Dance" and the supremely morbid "The Morning After."

The chances are slim, but I hope he does a proper tour of the states for this record. It's been way too loving long since I've had the opportunity to hear him play live.

Also, since reunions are a thing now is it not possible for him to patch things up with Kember and collaborate in the future? Do we really think he's done?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hatelull posted:

I've given it multiple listens and I enjoy it more every time. I appreciate the balance he weaves between a song like "Let's Dance" and the supremely morbid "The Morning After."

The chances are slim, but I hope he does a proper tour of the states for this record. It's been way too loving long since I've had the opportunity to hear him play live.

Also, since reunions are a thing now is it not possible for him to patch things up with Kember and collaborate in the future? Do we really think he's done?

My understanding is that neither Kember or Space see much point. I think it might also be a case of them really disliking each other on a Marr/Morrissey level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Last I heard they really disliked each other and they probably haven't even spoken once in the past 15+ years, if not more.

Teach posted:

Same, goon - same. It's a good album, though, isn't it?

It's soooo fuckin' good. It's rare these days for new songs to get stuck in my head but this whole album is lodged in my brain now

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How would you rank it in his output?

and why does everyone hate on Amazing Grace

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Personally I'm starting to get a little nervous that this guy will not deliver me another Lazer Guided Melodies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

How would you rank it in his output?

and why does everyone hate on Amazing Grace

Ranking his albums is hard because something has to come in last :(

Probably:

Pure Phase/LAGWAFIS
Let It Come Down/And Nothing Hurt
Amazing Grace
Songs in A&E/Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Lazer Guided Melodies

Something like that? With his Spacemen 3 songs all sort of occupying the second or third tier

I think there's a strong argument to be made that Amazing Grace has some of his best lyrics

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Ranking his albums is hard because something has to come in last :(

Probably:
I think there's a strong argument to be made that Amazing Grace has some of his best lyrics

Sometimes you kick the devil out but angels smash your face ..

I think Let It All Come Down has my favorite lyrics over all, although I'm partial to a lot of the stuff on LAGWAFIS and Pure Phase as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Rated X" loving slays me. "Put your hand into my hand and baby we'll forget that life had even started before our hands had met..."

• Locked thread