Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

lmao if you think our world sucks now give it another thirty years of dumbfuck-accelerated climate and political change

you have kids you're bringing in the next generation to suffer the full effects of what our dumbass parents basically kicked into high gear to avoid any inconvenience in their old age and also the control of the fascists of our own generation

good luck raising future war boys i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

can't wait for the onion article about the proud kids starting their grandpa's old afghan patrol route

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Exposing elementary school students to the realities of class doesn't "build consciousness," it just makes them feel ashamed, and I'm telling you that from direct experience as someone from a poor family who went to public school

i dunno i think magnet schools or decently funded schools in general with mixed-income students can be very good especially if school supplies are equally distributed, like laptops for everyone, which i'm acutely aware is something not common in poor public schools

im just speaking also from irrelevant experience as a person who grew up in an upper-middle class white family (parents are a librarian and a teacher) in a hella poor majority black city and being exposed to the actual people with whom i share my community was an unqualified good. all the chucklefucks i know who went to private schools (that are coincidentally totally segregated) grew up with the sort of racist myopia that sort of southern wealthy racial bubble cultivates and its super gross

obviously it is not an unqualified good but short of some kind of radically egalitarian revolution, there aren't that many ways to actually inculcate awareness of the humanity of people who are poorer or different than someone than via prolonged and mandatory exposure/interaction. which i think would be very good for many rich white people especially in the south

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

america is notable in that it's one of the only developed countries where having children actually decreases your overall happiness

granted, those happiness studies are slippery as hell since they attempt to enumerate the concept of happiness, but still

i'm in canada not america but i'm happy as poo poo as a dad

and literally everyone my age i know who's childless is being eaten alive by anxiety

also i went to public school in australia and the poor kids were the cool ones. only thing i ever wanted was to have a metallica tshirt and hang out by the bike racks smoking durries i nicked from my dad. my dad didn't even smoke :argh:

Clipperton has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Jul 23, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Clipperton posted:

i'm in canada not america but i'm happy as poo poo as a dad

and literally everyone my age i know who's childless is being eaten alive by anxiety

how much paid maternity leave did y'all get

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
because here in freedomland we have new parents returning to work and putting their children into daycare after two weeks

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
yeah, a lot more than that. the media and business class absolutely making GBS threads their pants at the prospect of 12 weeks' paid leave is probably the one thing that horrifies me the most about the usa

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I'd be super jaded about being a parent in US America but in Canada whooo gently caress is our system ever built to support people.

My wife will be taking the new 18 month paid extended leave for our second child, which is the old 12 months but spread over 18. What a country!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i mean here in california we actually get paid maternity & paternity leave - 6 weeks at 60% of pretax income, and my wife ended up getting 3 months paid altogether thanks to her generous residency program covering the other half

but yeah back in louisiana where we're from it's a nightmare. it legit screws up bonding going into daycare that early, and for many that's the only choice they've got

like i can totally believe that it's an overall net negative here

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

when I worked at CVS my coworker had her kid around the time she got a raise, and lost her food stamps and had no access to a daycare, so she had to pay an elderly neighbor from the public housing project to watch her kids during the day. she was back at work i think four days after she gave birth?

later she brought in her two other kids on halloween for free candy and our racist rear end manager gave them one piece each and pretended to be out of toys while giving more to white kids

love to live in the capital of the confederacy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Exposing elementary school students to the realities of class doesn't "build consciousness," it just makes them feel ashamed, and I'm telling you that from direct experience as someone from a poor family who went to public school

You must have went to a rich kid school because I went to school with like one middle class kid until high school and there I discovered that rich people are worse in every way

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't have kids, i'm not even married yet, but i'd like to do both. my gf is black and if i have kids with her, i'm gonna live in fear of them being murdered by cops

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

good luck raising future war boys i guess

My kid will be Imperator or nothing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't have kids, i'm not even married yet, but i'd like to do both. my gf is black and if i have kids with her, i'm gonna live in fear of them being murdered by cops

merge with the gun club thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
At least this next generation isn't going to grow up being fed a steady stream of bullshit American exceptionalism. This generation knows how hosed up we are and the internet makes it harder to hide than 30 years ago. Our kids will absorb that and run with it and either make things better or kill us all trying.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wow, when you put it like that the future seems like a win-win

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Larry Parrish posted:

You must have went to a rich kid school because I went to school with like one middle class kid until high school and there I discovered that rich people are worse in every way

I did go to a school where everyone else was middle class

The Nastier Nate posted:

At least this next generation isn't going to grow up being fed a steady stream of bullshit American exceptionalism. This generation knows how hosed up we are and the internet makes it harder to hide than 30 years ago. Our kids will absorb that and run with it and either make things better or kill us all trying.

So far it just seems to be making them nazis

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

merge with the gun club thread
i will make sure to teach my hypothetical kids that the 2nd amendment is a whites-only thing and if they pull out a gun, they're not going to be defended by the NRA when the cops murk them. there's legitimately no good way to talk about that issue to kids

The Nastier Nate posted:

goon obsession with "age demographics = destiny" is dumb because it's wrong. the next generation is going to have plenty of lefties with a healthy minority of nazis, but just like with millennials, nothing will change because the ones who will matter most are the children of the already-wealthy

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

When my wife had our second child last year, we went in Monday morning to deliver, stayed the night, then came home Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday I was back at work, and was told to remember to mark on the company calendar that Monday and Tuesday were vacation days.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I plan on teaching my kid the basic skills he will need for the future like how to whip someone with a chain while riding a motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ravendas posted:

When my wife had our second child last year, we went in Monday morning to deliver, stayed the night, then came home Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday I was back at work, and was told to remember to mark on the company calendar that Monday and Tuesday were vacation days.

The day before my daughter was born, a Tuesday, my boss asked me to drop something off at the post office, the next day on my way in to the office in the morning. But then my wife’s water broke 3 weeks early so my boss was texting me in the delivery room while my wife was 8 cm dialted telling me to come down to the hospital parking lot to hand her the envelope so she could Mail it. At least she didn’t make me drive to the post office!

Also I had to take Wednesday, Thursday and Friday vacation days and was back in on Monday.

• Locked thread