Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Ok, the production budget meme probably isn't the right way to express that this episode felt a bit off and a little too empty despite being a very important moment. The generic set design in the revue threw me off a lot. Regardless I have hope the next episodes are gonna be good

ANYWAYS HERES SOME ART

https://twitter.com/jia_ni_

sockpuppetclock fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That's some good art.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

sockpuppetclock posted:

Really felt like they actually ran out of production budget this episode lol. and right after I praised the show so hard too >_>

Not to call you out specifically because this is a common and understandable mistake, but lol I feel like we should maybe just have a sticky thread at the top of ADTRW that just reads “ANIME PRODUCTION VALUES ARE MUCH MORE CLOSELY TIED TO TALENT AND PRODUCTION SCHEDULES THAN TO MONEY”

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The concept for this revue was probably scaled way back in light of the production issues. It also feels like there are some little missing scenes throughout the fight. It is by no means a train-wreck, but the team may end up revisiting this episode for the blu-ray release. There is one pretty major error that will almost certainly be fixed, even if a full re-edit doesn't end up happening.

If you haven't been following along with kViN's production note updates, I highly recommend taking a look:
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/09/13/revue-starlight-production-notes-8-9/

Plot-wise, I thought this episode was fantastic. I was worried we'd have a couple more episodes of Revue fights before a potentially rushed finale between Karen and Hikari. Having an audition winner at this point feels like an excellent opportunity to reset and bring the whole cast together in preparation for the last episode. We've got time to hit a low point and build back up to a big Karen 'non non' moment.

I don't have a lot to say about it atm, but all of the Maya/Claudine stuff was great. The shot of Claudine immediately after the fight was precious.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

sockpuppetclock posted:

Ok, the production budget meme probably isn't the right way to express that this episode felt a bit off and a little too empty despite being a very important moment. The generic set design in the revue threw me off a lot. Regardless I have hope the next episodes are gonna be good

ANYWAYS HERES SOME ART

https://twitter.com/jia_ni_

Wooooowie that's excellent.

Also THIS IS TENDO MAYA.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ticcytx/status/1042964156834619392

In current episode news: That was a really good Gather your strength and go save your girl, heroine!! montage.

Also, I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but lmao @ Mahiru's prison looking EXACTLY like the true form of Homura's desert prison from Madoka Magica: Rebellion.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/ticcytx/status/1042964156834619392

In current episode news: That was a really good Gather your strength and go save your girl, heroine!! montage.

Also, I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but lmao @ Mahiru's prison looking EXACTLY like the true form of Homura's desert prison from Madoka Magica: Rebellion.

:pusheen:

Very Exciting.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Additionally, the heavy End of Evangelion vibes with Tokyo Tower on its side in the background.

I wonder if the rest of the girls are going to join in or if that pep talk was the extent of their involvement with Karen saving Hikari. There isn't a lot of time left in the show, especially if they tie things up in the 'real world' as well.

C'mon surprise season two announcement. :^)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This episode made me go and asign a deadly sin to the rest of the cast outside of Karen and Hikari and it led me to the following conclusion:

Maya - Pride
Claudine - Envy
Mahiru - Lust
Junna - Greed?
Nana - Gluttony
Futaba - Wrath
Kaoruko - Sloth

Good poo poo overall though. Excited for the finale!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Can't wait for next week when Karen rescues girlfriend from evil Giraffe

I read someone online say that this episode reflected what depression feels like with Karen not being able to do anything for awhile till she found something to focus on and I think that's dead on. The time skips just really sold that losing Hikari really hit her hard and just added to the build

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

(09): The ending song is so good every time, but the Junna/Nana duet version is some goddamn monster feels.

(10): Unfortunate the production issues started seeping through on this one, but at least we got this

(11): HOT BANANA.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I very much enjoyed the final episode and this whole series. Giraffe's voice actor doing a good job.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 29, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably one of my favorite 4th wall breaks. Evil Giraffe is way to on mark with his audience call out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe the 20th time they repeated the two stars thing I realized why Hikari's hair clip is two stars. :downs:

Also I realized why a giraffe: from the front they look kind of like tokyo tower.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a good show.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I know it's dumb but endings that blend reality and supernatural frustrate me a tiny bit. That was an incredibly good conclusion though imo.

My large concern is that I want to know if their eternal stage is 'real or not'. Because it looks like Karen managed to save Hikari in the end and they both return to the real world in time for their third Starlight production. But then they're in audition battle dress again, and they mention it being eternal. Just let them be lovely stage actors in peace irl haha. It was a good conclusion and rewriting the ending was fantastic, and actually foreshadowed somewhat by Banana looking to be a scriptwriter I think.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

I know it's dumb but endings that blend reality and supernatural frustrate me a tiny bit. That was an incredibly good conclusion though imo.

My large concern is that I want to know if their eternal stage is 'real or not'. Because it looks like Karen managed to save Hikari in the end and they both return to the real world in time for their third Starlight production. But then they're in audition battle dress again, and they mention it being eternal. Just let them be lovely stage actors in peace irl haha. It was a good conclusion and rewriting the ending was fantastic, and actually foreshadowed somewhat by Banana looking to be a scriptwriter I think.
I agree on both parts. It was a very good conclusion, and I'm happy that the show continued to look fantastic despite all the production problems behind-the-scenes.

Unless I missed something during the ending, Hikari/Karen might not have returned to the "real world". Even if this is a Revue wish, it still is a happy ending for the main characters. That said, the possibility that they are living in a false reality is a bit unsettling. I wonder if a scene in which Hikari/Karen reunite and eat with the others was cut for time, or if the ambiguity of the ending was intentional. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment unless someone has enough evidence to prove that the epilogue occurs outside of the power of the Revue wish.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

Unless I missed something during the ending, Hikari/Karen might not have returned to the "real world". Even if this is a Revue wish, it still is a happy ending for the main characters. That said, the possibility that they are living in a false reality is a bit unsettling. I wonder if a scene in which Hikari/Karen reunite and eat with the others was cut for time, or if the ambiguity of the ending was intentional. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment unless someone has enough evidence to prove that the epilogue occurs outside of the power of the Revue wish.

Commenting on that:

So... we see the meal to start with before Hikari is saved. And then we see it afterwards in a photo frame but with added Hikari/Karen. Um. I really want to guess that they entered the real world again because Banana was there to take a photo, and they had a starlight rendition that included a supporting cast, which was outside the bounds of Hikari's original stage. But we really don't know what their 'shared stage' is if anything.

I want to say that they aren't like Banana and hoping for a repeat performance, and instead the play is concluded with the additional chapter of Hikari being saved. I also want to believe that the performance we see is their 3rd year at that school and they've returned, auditioned, and received lead rolls together. Yeah the idea that they're in a false world is scary and tragic to me, rather than romantic and inspiring. There's also maybe hints that the read is true looking at the pink fantasy stage lighting that reflects in the real world throughout the season.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The ending of this show was good. This show is good. On a sidenote, the stage show just got subbed so watch that too!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just finished this up. It's good! I didn't get any sense that they were trapped in a false world. That kind of ending strikes me as something the show is against.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This show was real good. My first impression of the ending was that they did in fact perform their version of the show in the real world, but I also liked that it was ambiguous/left up to the viewer. Also the giraffe breaking the 4th wall was great.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

God I am so happy they managed to stick the landing on this. I really resonated with a bunch of the themes in this show, being a huge theatre nerd myself, so it makes me happy that, despite its flaws, it ended up being a pretty decent show.

As for my take on the ending

It doesn't matter if they are in a false reality or the "real world". The show isn't interested in telling you the play. It's one big metaphor for the trials and tribulations that go into honing your craft and auditioning for a show. In my experience, some people really do treat auditions as a competition. Hell I can think of so many people that can fall into the core archetypes of the girls. I think it really works on that level.

All the above plus the direct parallels between the play, the auditions and the relationships of the core cast make it work so well. gently caress, I love this show.

Though, if it were up to me, I would have straight not included the performance over the end credits. Cut to black after the final fight.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The ending was a bit dragged out, but overall solid show. It had its moments of fantastic and eh, and would've gotten a 10/10 from me if they choreographed the fight scenes to the music, but I understand that's a very tall order to make. The jazzy baseball duel is one of the most stylish and fun fight scenes I've ever seen in my life, and I won't forget it, nor the feeling of hearing the ending song each week.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm a bit sad that I didn't watch Revue Starlight as it aired, but pretty happy that I could binge-watch it all over the last two days while stuck at home!

I don't know if I have any interesting critiques, so I'll just say that it was a very fun and well-made show that caught me by surprise with its unapologetic and completely unexplained surrealism. I hate when a show or movie goes hard into surreal-land but then tries to backfill a bunch of logic or rule systems to "explain" everything, and I love it when me, the audience, is essentially told "don't think about this wacky poo poo too hard, we're trying to tell a cool story so just roll with it!"

It's also really fun to recommend this to my friend in terms like, "It's a show about highschool stage actresses who have to visit a pocket dimension in the school's electrical closet where they duel with fantasy weapons for the right to play center stage forever, all of which is dictated by a sentient giraffe wizard who owns the pocket dimension and alerts the girls to come duel via a snazzy smartphone app."

The last couple episodes before he broke the 4th wall I was hoping one of our lead characters would stick a sword in that drat giraffe, but then he went and made the audience complicit in his evil entertainment and I was like "Oh you clever rear end in a top hat!"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
THIS IS

https://twitter.com/_canno/status/1050011163142963200

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Revue Starlight anthology manga when

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of manga, the author of the official version has a very suitable resume: https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/ayasugi_tsubaki

Unfortunately she seems to have removed the giraffe.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

This person who worked on the show posted some stuff

https://twitter.com/JonnyDoLake/status/1050682518553411584

Best to just check their twitter for more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a shame the production was so strained that the studio had to put out such an open-frequency cry for help out, but having english-speaking animators around the twittersphere being able to share their cuts and talk a little about the process is also pretty cool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sindai posted:

Speaking of manga, the author of the official version has a very suitable resume: https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/ayasugi_tsubaki

Unfortunately she seems to have removed the giraffe.

oh hey, I did one of their nicomaki shorts

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill
I really liked this show. I'm still thinking about the ending even after finishing it two weeks ago. I also going to go to their December event. I just have to get past the chuusen for it...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxnpT6M3U4M

This is cool.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy hell, the End to RE:CREATE gave me goosebumps. :swoon:

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
So Karen's hairclip is a Macbeth reference, right?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

This is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

yes

• Locked thread