Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Winter has come.

That means it's time for us to be shovelin' snow and poo poo.

After last winter's "nearly falling off a drat cliff" debacle, the importance of keeping the hill free of snow has become apparent. Also, I totally forgot that I hadn't updated this thread to show y'all the final chapter of Project Drainage 2019.

So last time around, before we completely renovated a whole room which is now the awesomest room in the whole house, we were still busy sticking concrete into crevices and generally repairing the foundation. Happily, all of that is now over.

This was the last bit of it. All the major cracks are filled in, all weaknesses are fixed'er'upper'ed. Our foundation wall should be good for another century or two, now that all structural weaknesses have been identified and sorted out.

And with all that sorted out, it was an "easy" enough job to repeat last year's process of transporting countless garbage bags of Glasopor from the bottom of our hill, up to the top, and finally dumping it into the ditch. Plastic sheet and fiber cloth nailed into place first, of course.

Fancy new piping is of course now in place, and after last year, we've even learned a few tricks to make sure they stay exactly where and as we placed them (the secret is a good drill and oodles of plastic cable ties). After connecting everything, it was time to get more protection for the wall into place.

With more plastic sheets up, in order to keep moisture away from our newly renovated wall, we also laid down a lot more cloth down to keep the mud from infiltrating the whole system.

Finally, we put on the top sill for the whole system, glued into place with this industrial mounting stuff which will remain both air- and watertight practically forever. It's still complete overkill, but, well... I guess that's how we do things?

Sadly I don't have any pictures handy of the end result, but it's basically just a whole lot of Glasopor overflowing in the ditch, covered up by more of the fiber cloth stuff (we had to get a whole new 500 sq ft roll of the stuff, since we're overdoing everything, but at least there won't be any nasty soil infiltrating our drainage for the next few decades!)

The cat, of course, is more interested in the lone, notorious sock hiding behind the washing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Well hello - this time it took us a world wide epidemic to update this thread.

We are quickly approaching year #2 in our fort (1'st of April is the day to celebrate!). I even found some old photos when rummaging through our documents. Here is our house almost done in 1980:

Now zoom forward to when the world was normal and everyone went to work as usual. Since I'm guilty of going back to school, we have been a little low on project funds. I got a message from Veskenapper about a pretty sweet deal on flooring.
"OK, that's awesome - do they deliver?"
"A little late for that now! :imunfunny:"

"But how are you going to get ... oh :stare:"

Not that I'm complaining, but we've been living with a couple of these laminate ganglions for a couple of weeks.

Zoom forward to the present - Norway is more or less in lock down - we are instructed to leave the house as little as possible due to the corona virus. And well, if we're already at home ...

TWO YEARS I HAVE WAITED. :parrot:

So thankfully the vinyl basically peels off. It's about as smooth as peeling an orange. A smelly, 40 year old orange.

The main issue is that our floor creaks like crazy (Veskenapper can probably confirm this).

We noted this during the showing, and the PO explained it was because the floor boards were nailed down instead of screwed down. I trust no one and automatically assumed this was an obvious lie of course. Now thankfully we can confirm that this is true - the nails have basically popped out over the last 40 years. So time to get screwing!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

lizard_phunk posted:

Well hello - this time it took us a world wide epidemic to update this thread.

We are quickly approaching year #2 in our fort (1'st of April is the day to celebrate!). I even found some old photos when rummaging through our documents. Here is our house almost done in 1980:

Now zoom forward to when the world was normal and everyone went to work as usual. Since I'm guilty of going back to school, we have been a little low on project funds. I got a message from Veskenapper about a pretty sweet deal on flooring.
"OK, that's awesome - do they deliver?"
"A little late for that now! :imunfunny:"

Not that I'm complaining, but we've been living with a couple of these laminate ganglions for a couple of weeks.

Zoom forward to the present - Norway is more or less in lock down - we are instructed to leave the house as little as possible due to the corona virus. And well, if we're already at home ...

TWO YEARS I HAVE WAITED. :parrot:

So thankfully the vinyl basically peels off. It's about as smooth as peeling an orange. A smelly, 40 year old orange.

The main issue is that our floor creaks like crazy (Veskenapper can probably confirm this).

We noted this during the showing, and the PO explained it was because the floor boards were nailed down instead of screwed down. I trust no one and automatically assumed this was an obvious lie of course. Now thankfully we can confirm that this is true - the nails have basically popped out over the last 40 years. So time to get screwing!

I'm glad to see the progress being made, and it's always neat to find house pictures from the past.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

It proceeds, and out resident inspector inspects and quality-tests the floor.

lizard_phunk posted:

Getting more than 1300 lbs of laminate flooring inside the house before lizard_phunk got home was actually a lot more work than you'd think.

lizard_phunk posted:

"Noted" is a soft word, so I decided I should upload a real quick 20-second video which demonstrates exactly how bad it was, but YT isn't helping, so maybe later :v:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I might be the only one on the planet, but I like creaky wood floors. It reminds me of my grandparents house.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Ghostnuke posted:

I might be the only one on the planet, but I like creaky wood floors. It reminds me of my grandparents house.

I would invite you to walk a mile in our living room, but alas the creak has now been eliminated. :toot:

(actually I complete agree with you but this was less "charming old house" and more "OUR FLOOR IS DISINTEGRATING :what:)

In preparation for a new living room era, we decided to do some performance art. I title this "The Anatomy of a Stove".

(this montrosity was from the 60's and is currently work around 20 dollars so we decimated it)
((not pictured: Veskenapper kicking it's stone skeleton apart for the final KO))

The vinyl flooring was perfectly conserved underneath and still looked horrible.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
THE BIG FLOOR EFFORT POST

We have been looking forward to this project for about 2 years. Unfortunately that means that our house has been thoroughly lived in for 2 years as well, causing some slight issues when it comes to item inventories and general cattery...

It begins!

Smooth sailing.

A little tricky under the stairs (yes I will finish painting them sometime in 2020...):

You are not taking away my corner.

Quality inspections.

We have calculated that we used exactly 650 screws in order to fasten the floor boards. The creaks were due to them being nailed in place pretty haphazardly (a couple of them had no nails at all!) 40 years ago.

We quickly got pretty good at this!

Before:

One hour after:

We are running into some slight issues with regard to space...

Construction manager overseeing our work while disregarding gravity.

Almost became religious at this point but we actually had to adjust the boards a little ... Final set!

Final results...!

And for an after and before comparison~

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Nice job with the floor!

lizard_phunk posted:

Almost became religious at this point but we actually had to adjust the boards a little ... Final set!

Must be something funky with the angle and/or the shadows, but my brain refuses to see this as the walls coming up from the floor rather than the floor being the "top" of a structure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nice job! Also thank you for the kitty-toes picture.

I can tell that they aren't at all your style, but I love the chairs in the previous owner's shot

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Looks great, you guys!

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Loezi posted:

Nice job with the floor!

Must be something funky with the angle and/or the shadows, but my brain refuses to see this as the walls coming up from the floor rather than the floor being the "top" of a structure.

Probably some non-eucleudian geometry going on here. We have called upon the renovation beasts. :cthulhu:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nice job! Also thank you for the kitty-toes picture.

I can tell that they aren't at all your style, but I love the chairs in the previous owner's shot

We will always supply kitty toes. The PO had a very distinct style - nothing wrong about some regal looking dinner chairs, but her leather couch chairs were MASSIVE. As in, there was room for two of them in the area we now have a couch, table, huge book shelf and the screen for our projector. And we still have plenty of room to walk around. I have no idea how she got those couches out (or in?!) because there is no opening large enough in the entire house.

(cat has found the best use for old PhD dissertations)

Gasmask posted:

Looks great, you guys!

Thanks! I love it when people comment.

Anyways.

Covid-19 (or "korona" as we say here in the North, all while making fun of a perfectly good beer...) led to flooring (and me almost losing my mind planting things indoors - I have around 20 chili plants going now so hoping to see some fruits this summer: https://www.corpuschili.com).

I finally claimed the patio, which we haven't really used the years we've lived here. 1) It was a little grimey and old looking. 2) We didn't have anything we wanted to sit in. So I fixed that one afternoon:

What a huge difference and it's so amazingly comfortable..!

But what is it I hear? Is it the sweet rumble of clay, dirt and gigantic earthworms, calling us...?

It's time for Drainage 2020 - the final wall .

This one is interesting. It's really the last official wall we need to replace the drainage on. There's a reason we saved this one for last, firstly: we think (and seem to be correct in) that there really hasn't been a lot of wet stuff pressing on this wall. HOWEVER the PO had an ungodly amount of plants and bushes growing by the wall. What you see now is after removing almost all of it last year, and we still had to fight some 40 year old bushes.

I'm "excited" to find out if these guys managed to mess up up our wall.

Even more interesting: we have no idea where the water or sewer lines go.
And we have checked every single document we have available. Soo... I guess we'll be finding them eventually? :cheers:

Godspeed! (actually my husband has been doing a lot more digging than me so far...)

We are doing good on time, I think it'll be about one more month of digging/fixing up the wall if necessary. Maybe we'll be free to do other stuff next summer?

Much more anguish and horror awaits. But the digging seems much easier this time around (did something change? are we stronger?) and man oh man I love our crazy wild garden so much.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

A sizeable update should be forthcoming very shortly.

In the meantime, for anyone following this thread, I just wanted to point out that this:

lizard_phunk posted:

Much more anguish and horror awaits.

...was a correct estimation.

This:

lizard_phunk posted:

We are doing good on time, I think it'll be about one more month of digging/fixing up the wall if necessary.

...was not (oh man oh man those days of my youth, I remember them well, that joyful optimism)

lizard_phunk posted:

and man oh man I love our crazy wild garden so much.

Still holds true!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Did that tree set any fruit?

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did that tree set any fruit?

I looked into this because it does produce some tiny, pinkish apples. Apparently it's a "prydtre", which would translate to "decorative tree" or something like that. The apples are not really edible, we could make marmelade or something potentially ... but the tree is just there because the flowers are pretty (they are!).

We DO have a huge apple tree on our property. But it's not doing very well, the apples are small and sour. I intend to follow up on it and try to help it.

We also discovered - after pulling down some huge trees that were honestly sloped in a scary way towards the house - that we have a tiny cherry tree!

If you like trees, I can also inform you that we have a gigantic goat willow/great sallow ("seljetre" in Norwegian, salix caprea). These trees are actually protected in Norway and don't usually grow to 15 meters like ours. It is probably the largest tree on our property - the bark can be used to extract salicin. I just remember these tress as little bushes from my childhood, kids make flutes from their branches here.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
When the going gets tough...

Where we left off, I have a vague idea that I wrote something like "this wall will be the easiest".

It was not.

There are a couple of reasons.

1. On this side of the house, the terrain is very different. The ditch got DEEP!

2. The soil was 50% clay 40% blue clay 10% horror.

3. Extreme rain led to cave ins several times. This was a real worry, as it also impeded our work with concrete.

Water would accumulate in ditches.

But we fixed it!

4. The wall was more damaged on this side than any other sides due to a completely failure of the drainage systems (these guys are completely detached and clogged).

Water, over time, had damaged the wall - thankfully nothing serious.

Basically, we had to reinforce the wall. For good measure, we went over all of it.

5. A deep ditch meant that once the digging was done, we had to transport tons of glasopor.

I am not kidding. A particularly brave delivery worker got them halfway up to our parking lot this time.

(there were 10 bags!)

6. We were TIRED. Real tired! Due to Covid, we didn't get any summer holiday. Working mostly from home did help, but with new jobs and obligations ...

Because we are bonkers, we managed to use 2 sheets only. We only adjusted them at the bottom, so they are 100% perfect

MAYBE we went a little overboard with the fibre cloth, but then again we are NEVER doing this poo poo again.

But NOTHING is better than the feeling of new, fresh tubes.

Or as we now, say:

PIPE LIFE

As a treat, we installed a motion detecting surveillance camera. You might guess how this went (ref: living in an arctic jungle).

(cue 50 alerts per night...)

It is a real joy going from living in an apartment (well, it has now been a few years) to living in a forest. Having forgotten a box of crackers overnight, we were pretty surprised to see it start moving through the garden. Suddenly, a great vole scurried away! I am more than happy to have a vole on my property.

Then, suddenly, we were... done?

WE DID IT

:stoke:

PIPE LIFE

And just as we were done, a rogue shipment appears...

Oh no, what now?!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Insanely jealous of your pipe life right now, ngl.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Amazing job, love the updates.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
I note I forgot the complementary cattery last time around, so I'll be handing it out here:

organburner posted:

Insanely jealous of your pipe life right now, ngl.

You should be, the pipe life is a glorious life.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Amazing job, love the updates.

Thanks, seems like we'll be at this for some time...!

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
So. I guess it's time for an explanation.

We did buy a house. If you remember, it looks like this:

In our opinion, the most important things to a house are:
1. suitable number of staircases for Cat
2. drainage system
3. roof

1. and 2. are now down (PIPE LIFE). But ever since buying the house, we did think the roof looked kinda shabby. We guessed it was mostly cosmetic (moss and a bit of erosion), but this year we noticed a single loose tile and thought "gently caress it, it's time".

After an unfortunate incident with a French STEM professor, I am chronically scared of heights - so this was a fight we were not picking on our own. Thankfully, with the upgrades we have made already, the value of the fort has increased by quite a bit, and we were able to take up a loan for ... THE ROOFING PROJECT.

This would be our first adult interaction with any sort of builder (hm, you know what I mean). We figured that filling out a few online forms for ~free surveying~ would work out, but apparently these forms are just a way for the building companies to see which jobs they don't want to take.

A few follow up calls were met with "well, I see from your address that your property is ... quite steep. Unfortunately we are all booked up."

My partner in crime had a particularly entertaining conversation with a solar roofing company. If anyone is interested, putting solar roof tiles on a decent sized house in Norway would cost minimum $80 000. Woop, that's about three times our budget for the entire job.

We called up the most local of local companies and they came for a survey. Amazingly, they were happy to do the job ... as long as we got all the stuff they needed up to the top of our hill.

Hey, that's a deal! We'll just put it in Capital G and drive it right up!

Except when push came down to shove, very little would actually fit the car.

So far, we have carried - by hand - two people:

- a house worth of metal scaffolding

- all planks necessary for whatever roofing magic to be done

A very peculiar turn of events was that the builders have so far been way more effective than we expected! They are very enthusiastic and chronically ahead of schedule - leading to a mix of intense happiness and the deepest depths of despair for yours truly.

We carried stuff in the evenings, and every day we got home, we discovered new developments...

After limping around for a day or two feeling like we just did an MMA tournament, we can report some amazing progress:

We have heard some scary stories about contract work, of course. But these guys seem extremely professional, keep us well updated and adapt to new situations quickly.
A few leaks in the roof were discovered, and it seems that had we waited a couple more years, we could be in actual trouble (in terms of damage to the woodwork). But at this point, it only meant minor repairs - not entirely unexpected.

The only actual hitch has been that our 40 year old roof turned out to be much more modern that the contractors expected. The house has more modern insulation methods than what was common in the 80's, a testament to this house being a "flagship model" for the movement towards modern, low-energy homes. I found this point both amusing and interesting (we'll see how fun it is once we get the final bill :downs:).

PS: I would heartily recommend the experience of working from home doing Zoom meetings while two Polish men demolish your roof while blasting eurotrance to anyone!

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Y’all’s butts must be poppin’ after all that incline work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Your next project should be a funicular.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm glad things are working out with the roof and the rest of the house. Are you responsible for trotting all the scaffolding and leftovers down the hill again?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I'm stressing out about getting poo poo done to our house by contractors because we live on a road where it's sometimes ~slightly tricky to park~ but you are an inspiration :black101:.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

To answer all your questions; yes, yes, yes and yes :v:

The good part is that getting stuff down is going to be a walk in the... well, jungle, but easy as pie compared to what's been done.

The bad part is that it hurts to walk. Like, in general. Do I want a funicular? In the words of Skeletor, YES.

But I would also like to elaborate a bit on the last project post. See, we sat down with a sparkling bubble bottle to celebrate our PIPE LIFE the other day, and we went through this whole thread, reminiscing, laughing, getting slightly tipsy and laughing even more. Because it's been one hell of a journey.

We also had a couple of revelations, and it turns out we've been a bit optimistic about a few things. Drainage is hard.

lizard_phunk posted:

Most people hire a company to do any work on their properties, really. Having drainage replacement done on a house will easily cost you $10-20 000. People don't like getting their hands dirty and people seem kind of shocked when I mention what we're working on. I only mention it because I'm kind of surprised myself - sure, it's an endeavor, but in principle getting it right is not that complicated.

Looking back, it's easy to see why we thought so. However, at the end of the day, our actual outlay for the drainage project has been... a bit more than expected.

• Glasopor; we bought just shy of 1000 cubic feet, and have used up 850 of those. Total cost incl. freight, $5500
  • TUBES; we bough 150 ft of supertubes, and have about 40 ft to spare. Add magical joints, and total cost is another $850
  • Those big black plastic sheets that keep the wall dry, top sills, and a ton of specialty nails to fasten it all, about $500
  • Specialist watertight repair mortar; 350 buckaroos, a literal ton of B30 cement, the same, and a pittance of regular mortar. Call it $750
  • Guesstimating five gallons of latex additive. Key mistake was buying lots of 1-liter bottles instead of 5-liter cans from the start. About $250
  • Fiber cloth! Actually have no idea what we paid, but we did buy and use nearly 5000 sq ft. Going by the last receipt I found this should total about $1000
  • Those extremely fragile insulation plates, may they never see daylight again; $250
  • That sealant we stuck on everything (now with description in English!), durr... I guess we went through half a dozen tubes, so about $150?
  • No idea what the white SLEMMING! actually cost, going to hazard a wild guess and say $75 to be on the safe side.

So that's a cool $9325, materials only, and not including how many buckets and little shovels we've worn out, plus the fact that I always forget something important, and I guess this list is no exception :derp:

I'm pretty sure getting someone to do the actual work for $675 would not only be unethical, but also highly illegal in most countries that aren't a nuclear power cozily snuggled up to the 38th parallel. Even upping it to $10675, I think most professionals here would consider the offer a joke in poor taste.

But we're done. And since spare time and restitution is for apartment dwellers, we are, as you've seen, already well into our next enormously critical project. THE ROOFENING!

In the last post, we mistakenly thought we had carried

lizard_phunk posted:

- all planks necessary for whatever roofing magic to be done

...but this was before our roofing contractors found out our bargeboards (!?) were actually 40 years old and ready for replacement. So we got some 400 sq ft worth of new, primed bargeboards delivered as a surprise! To the bottom of the hill, of course, in the shape of even longer planks than before. More carrying! But that was fine. They had to be painted, though.

Picture taken mere moments before we realized that it actually gets dark at night, and these boards are going to be mounted to the house tomorrow, and oh lord they need a second layer of paint or else we'll have bargeboards touching the sky needing another coat of paint next year and oh lord send help.

At the end of the night, yours truly was shining a flashlight as the master painter finished up the first coat.

Then we got an SMS from the contractor telling us they've got delays on a different project, so his guys would not be able to work at our place (where they're way ahead of schedule) until after the weekend.

:downs:

But they really are ahead of schedule, which is awesome! Here's our old roofing, for instance:

I'm very happy to see the tiles gathered together like this, and to see how easily they shatter. The plan is to recycle this in the form of bedding for a nice rock bed on top of our drainage ditch. Green, cheap, and practical! Plus no carrying it down the hill!

But then, just as we were waking up to a new day – in peace, for once, since there were no workmen hopping around the roof at 6 AM like usual – we did get another delivery at the bottom.

So that's the new roofing, then.

Now, I'm not a terribly emotional person. But I have to say that, after carrying the amounts of timber, scaffolding and stuff up the hill which we've been doing lately, I'm very nearly tearing up with joy when I see the following picture – just on account of how much carrying is avoided thanks to having The Right Vehicle.

:master:

There's still a bit of carrying to do, of course. But speaking for myself, in spite of the hardships, and the outright insane amount of work we've managed to pull off in 2020 (for instance, we had both completely forgotten that the flooring project was during corona until we read through this thread!!) I've got to say I enjoy the PIPE LIFE.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm glad things are working out with the roof and the rest of the house. Are you responsible for trotting all the scaffolding and leftovers down the hill again?

:aaaaa:

Norwegian saying: "Ta ikke sorgene på forskudd" - "take not the sorrows in advance".

So. Yes.

Gasmask posted:

I'm stressing out about getting poo poo done to our house by contractors because we live on a road where it's sometimes ~slightly tricky to park~ but you are an inspiration :black101:.

Helps to have a 4WD V8 to do some gardening.

PS: Also our advice is to just keep a straight face and be "surprised" that people have a hard time getting up the hill... :parrot:

So, the painting is done.

Touched up on some old woodwork - about time after 40 years, especially considering the original builders (or POs?) simply dropped painting all of it.

Got some updates to myself as well.

We are currently on day 2 of 3 of THE CARRYENING. We are using Capital G to get them to the top of our hill (to our 4WD friendly parking spot) - but unfortunately there is not way to get them up into the garden other than pure determination and suffering.

Just to summarize, we have received 1450 roof tiles. These fuckers are packed 5 per unit and clock in at 20kg each.

This is over 5800 kg (13000 lb). :siren::siren::siren:

This is not counting the special tiles to go on the very top of the roof.

Dear god, please save me.

These were delivered on 6 pallets. We have called it quits for today and have now processed about 5 pallets. :black101:

This is quite possibly the most physically taxing project I have ever taken part in. ONE MORE DAY

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Man a sheet metal roof would've been easier to cart up :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The solar tiles, is that like the Tesla ones? Does somebody else actually make them now? (Tesla barely makes them so far). Or was it just panels?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Gardening with bolt cutters out the window of your 4WD SUV :frogc00l:

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man a sheet metal roof would've been easier to cart up :v:

Both my partner in crime and I grew up in places where sheet metal was a decorative and reasonable alternative to not having a roof. We feel we have both transcended from that environment.

Charles posted:

The solar tiles, is that like the Tesla ones? Does somebody else actually make them now? (Tesla barely makes them so far). Or was it just panels?

Pursesnatcher says the following (I have no clue, as I mentally noped out after we received the estimate):

Pursesnatcher posted:

There are actually several companies making solar tiles now! We asked a couple of them for a quote, and I think the ones we were offered were Swiss-made (Sunstyle is the name of the manufacturer). Norwegian company Sun-Net is another one (they never replied), and Belgian ISSOL apparently makes some as well! Not sure if theirs are offered here, though. We never considered Tesla an option, since their products seem to be "2-5 years away" at all times.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Gardening with bolt cutters out the window of your 4WD SUV :frogc00l:

PIPE LIFE :hist101:

In other news, I finally dared to drive the 4WD down our hillside and ...2/3rds back up. Only lived here for 2 and a half years.

Now for the thrilling conclusion to the ROOF PROJECT

Well well well.

On the 1'st of September, I was out in the garden cleaning away some bushes on my day off, when two rogue Polish men suddenly appeared. The conversation went like this:
:cool: Hei
:confused: Hei
:cool: English OK?
:confused: Yes ...
:cool: We think now we take off roof.
:confused: ...OK!

The last couple of weeks have been tough, we have have carried, dragged, cursed (and cried a little).

But progress was made!

Pavel (anonymized!) was one of the main contractors, a young Polish man who was intensely afraid of two things: 1) heights 2) frogs (we learned the latter when he asked whether we had wild animals such as bears in our garden, our humours reply about mice and frogs did not calm him down).

One morning, the doorbell rings.
This is unusual, and thus a bit unnerving, but it does. So my husband goes to answer the door, and finds Pavel standing outside. He looks nervous and upset, and apologizes profusely for the trouble, before asking if he could possibly, please, get a bit of help, because, you understand, the road, it is problem.

All right. My husband shrugs, pulls on a pair of boots, and goes outside. He follows Pavel around the house, and there, right at the spot where we almost dropped dear old Capital G off the cliff the other winter, is one of those ratty little box cars, like a Renault Kangoo or something. Front-wheel drive, manual gearbox, moped
engine. But it's not hanging off the cliff. Quite the contrary.
So Pavel, being an optimist, had thought to drive to the top of our hill in this... machine. It was plain to see, from the desperate tire tracks a bit higher up, that he had very nearly managed to do so! However, when he slipped back across the edge, he had decided to back up just a few meters, gather speed, and blast to the top of the hill!

Obviously (to us), this was not the best idea. When he had started trying to go forward again, the front wheels has simply dug into the road. Somehow, the rear end of the car had slid sideways (away from the ledge, thankfully!) to the point where it had crashed into the cliff face on the inside of our road.
Suddenly, Pavel's quest was not getting up. It was just getting out. He apparently kept up his attempts for quite some time, with obvious increasing desperation, to the point where both front wheels were firmly embedded in the road. He had tried sticking planks underneath the wheels, shuffling dirt back under the car, and quite possibly a prayer or five as well. And at last, he decided to ask for help.
So we return to where my husband stands behind the car, scratches his head, and wonders how to get out of this pickle.

When the G-wagon was hanging by a thread, there was at least a wide enough gap between car and mountain that a salvage truck could get past it. This time there was no such luck. The little box car was thoroughly blocking the way up, and it would just slam into the cliff face again if it could somehow be coaxed into going down. Pavel suggested that my husband try driving upwards (as said, optimist!) while he stood behind and pushed, to which my husband agreed – if only to eliminate that option.

To cut an already long story short, after that attempt failed, my husband had poor Pavel try pushing from the front, while he expertly navigated wheel, clutch and engine power. There ended up being a little bit of burnt clutch smell, and some more gravel was kicked loose, but in the end the car was reversed slowly and securely to the bottom of the hill. The holes from the wheels are still there, as they actually reached naked bedrock. But the car survived, somehow undamaged apart from the initial dents it received on Pavel's first attempt to get out of his terrifying pickle.

But that was the last time Pavel tried to ascend our hill in his front-wheel-drive little box car.

Pavel also excitedly informed us that he had found a "Mr. Batman" while working!

My tranformation into a suburban witch is now complete.:catte:

(Bats are protected in Norway, Mr. Batman was gently removed and in good spirits. We hope that the bats return. Fun fact: Bats only live in roofs during the summer, when the temperature drops, they migrate into the forest to hibernate. Bats can also live to at least 40 years in the wild!)

Yesterday, my SO went out on the scaffold to do some touch ups.

Today, the September 23'rd, the roof is complete. And man, are we happy about it.

There are some upgrades, compared to how things were done 40 years ago.

We now have a secure ladder all the way up and "snow catchers" (it's a thing).

The gutters now have "leaf collectors" to protect the pipes from clogging. :v:
(yes we still have to fix the walls)

This part was complicated, but some "lanes" for water have been installed so that the exterior walls don't get soaked every time it rains.

LET WINTER COME!

(yes we still have to lug the scaffolding down the hill)

Just in time for exams (time to destroy those notes...)

lizard_phunk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You got a nice-looking roof, congratulations!