Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hello everyone,
I've been making a game for the last year or so. It went from hobby to a real thing pretty recently, and I've managed to build an awesome dev team and create a really fun prototype. You can play this prototype with us right now, and many goons already play! Just join the discord and type
code:
 !dev.freekey
and our bot will give you a free alpha key.

Here's a quick teaser video that shows the gameplay

Protoball is a futuristic eSports game with FPS mechanics. We’re building Protoball from the ground up to be a competitive eSport, yet casual enough that every skill level can enjoy the gameplay. The game is essentially a futuristic blend of basketball or soccer/football with FPS mechanics, athletic movement, and intense competitive action.

Teams face off against each other trying to outscore their opponents. Players can athletically maneuver around the arena dashing, stunning & destroying each other. I've always loved competitive shooters and eSports and this is my take on it.

We will have 3 base game modes; Sport mode, Dodgeball (Team and Free-For-All), and Laser Tag(Team and Free-For-All)! Currently the Sport mode is working and you can come play with us! We intend to have deep customization options for every player. From entire outfits to visual effects, we want the player to be able to really add their own style to their characters and teams, to really make them their own.

We're going to launch our kickstarter very soon! After that we'll enter Steam Early Access. We'd love to get more goons in the game. So if you're interested come join us in the discord, and if you like the game please follow our social media accounts and sign up for the newsletter to be alerted when the kickstarter goes live!

https://protoballgame.com
https://discord.gg/protoball
https://twitter.com/ProtoballGame
https://instagram.com/studioz.3d

Also, if you're reading this at the time of this post, we're starting a playtest with some of the devs right now, come play!

EDIT:
THE KICKSTARTER IS LIVE

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkmessiah
Nov 3, 2012

I've clocked over 14 hours playing protoball with the devs and sat in the discord / and blabbed with them over voice chat multiple times. I've beta tested this game from very early versions and gave input which is received in good notion and generally they fix each of these bugs, of course this is a bit biased as im a fan of the game. I rate it 10/10 and remember to belittle "thechemist" any chance you get as its a community tradition.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Giving it a shot right now.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

dkj posted:

Giving it a shot right now.

Awesome! May need to coordinate some play times, as there aren't always people on right now. Though we are growing steadily. We've decided on next Wednesday July 25th for the day of our Kickstarter launch. Jackie Price is going to cast games the day of the Kickstarter launch, and maybe we'll make a half-assed 100% FOR FUN tournament, possibly give keys out, not sure just yet on the specifics. We'll also be launching a Gleam.IO give away for an Alienware monitor and mouse & keyboard this day! I'll post this stuff here when it's all live.

I've made an info graphic!

We'll be testing a new build tonight, friendly fire is back on with the shields!

RizieN fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 22, 2018

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Hey everyone! The kickstarter is going to go live July 25th and Jackie Price is going to host a 2v2 tournament just for fun! You can enter this tourney (Might want to practice...)

If you'd like to test the game out please join the discord and hop in! There are almost always a few people around just waiting for a game to pop off. We host regular playtests, and we'll be doing them more frequently as we near and launch the kickstarter.

I hope to see more goons in the arena!

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
Looks interesting. There was a game called Uniball that came out way back in 1998ish that your game reminds me of. Skill and team based cooperative play. Maybe their trailer can lend some inspiration. The game is on Steam but the community that made it great is long gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbryNJu1OJ8

I'll come check your project out.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thank you! We're now live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1515920908/protoball-a-first-person-sports-shooter

We're also giving away an Alienware Monitor, Mouse, and Keyboard to help promote the Kickstarter!

Thanks to everyone that's come through the Discord so far! We're just getting started!

Drunkmessiah
Nov 3, 2012

Ended up backing this project on kickstarter, So lets see some fireworks go off.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Good luck, looks fun!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

clone on the phone posted:

Good luck, looks fun!

Thank you! I hope you can find a chance to hop in the arena with us! It's been really fun, especially to watch rivalries form and new game play styles emerge... really awesome to watch.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
We're doing 2v2 tourneys Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays! Matches are 2 versus 2 and best of 3!

The tournaments are going to be hosted by Jackie Price on Twitch. The league and tournaments are all for fun, they end up getting really heated sometimes! We've partnered a bit with https://www.payday.gg for the back end, they're a newer company and it's still a work in progress, but so far so good. Sometimes the brackets don't fill up entirely until right before the match, but it'd be nice if you could try to fill the brackets out as early as possible, either way games will happen and if the payday bracket doesn't fill out we'll always host our own ad-hoc tourneys and grudge matches.

The league is going to be an on-going thing, where if teams whom are in the league are online they can play each other at any time and earn points. I suppose its like a ladder actually. These are going to be featured heavily on Thursdays, though the league stays open all week. Kind of like a regular MLB league, if the teams could play whenever they wanted and against whoever else was available. All matches are a best of 3.

I hope to see more goons in the Arena! I can pretty much promise that you'll have a blast if you give it a shot (and get to play with people not solo).

<3 thanks to all those whom have come out so far!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This looks really fun. I like rocket league a lot, and this seems like it has a similar appeal. I'm mainly posting to remind myself to get a key tonight. Thanks for the free alpha testing!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This looks really fun. I like rocket league a lot, and this seems like it has a similar appeal. I'm mainly posting to remind myself to get a key tonight. Thanks for the free alpha testing!

Did you get your key? Here's another reminder to get in the discord!

Also we made a new trailer : https://vimeo.com/282567575

Let me know what you think! We've been making some changes and things based on the mountain of feedback we've gotten. We're also testing dodgeball mode right now, I think we're going to have to change a few of the traditional rules to keep the action fast-paced and fun though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I played half a dozen games. It's fun! Very fast paced, I couldn't even follow the ball at first. I'd love it if we could chat between games.

One thing stood out to me - even though I'm running at 150+ fps, something seems jerky about the animations. It might be the projectile effects, but it seems almost stop motion at times without skipping a single frame.

I really like what you've got so far, even in a very early state. You might have a hit on your hands with some polish.

The timing element of having to hit pick up at exactly the right moment adds something. You can't waste any actions or time, and that's part of what makes a sports game seem tight and controlled.

I really like the ball physics. It's less bouncy than rl so I was thrown a bit going back and forth between the two games, but I love how your movement affects the ball's arc.

I think a tutorial would be a good addition. Nothing too in depth, just a few levels. One to demonstrate movement and how to throw the ball, another with a few bots that move in specific paths so you can practice getting the ball near teammates and past opponents.

Custom mutators might bring people in, too. When you get closer to a beta release, you may want to reach out to streamers like Jon Sandman and see if they'll be willing to check it out.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 3, 2018

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
That's so good to hear! I hear you on the anims, and especially the shield projectile. That's being re-done as we speak, but we're not introducing too many new things into the demo for Kickstarter, just in case we break something.

Everything is a placeholder, we want to polish the hell out of it, and allow for lots of customization options, preferably endless options as time goes on.

Re: Tutorial, we definitely need one, if anything to save my voice from explaining how to play everytime I show a new player the ropes :D We're actually talking about maybe having some kind of Sports Complex style training center, with different tests of skill that all practice certain things in game. We'd probably have a few mini games and definitely high scores. I think it could be something like the Destiny Tower situation, kind of communal, and you can run around and shop/train/mess around. Rough idea anyway!

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciate it. Really helps stay motivated to hear reviews like yours.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
We've made a lot of changes to the arena based on player feedback so far!

We also changed the ball texture, and next build we're going to let the user choose what color the ball is, so they can pick what's most visible to them. Our motto is always "When in doubt, let the player choose!"

Jackie Price is hosting league matches tonight on Twitch if you'd like to see live game play. He's live now, and will be for a few hours!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

When are peak hours right now? I want to play more, but most of the time there's either one server with one person or it's totally empty. I know that's part of the growing process for a new game, but if I know the best time to play I'll be able to play more and even maybe bring some people with me.

The new arena looks great! Very, uh, Psyonixy, but that isn't a bad thing. The new textures go a long way. I think fixing those choppy midair animations (the ball moving and the projectiles) will do a lot to making the gameplay seem smoother too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Right now the best play times are around 9-11pm EST. We do have a decent EU crowd that's kind of been growing, they're always looking for more players. Most of our devs are EU actually!

We just got done playing right now, it's 1am EST, but the west coast crew is still going a little bit. Honestly the best way to get involved now is through the discord. Check the voice channels and if you see people hanging out they're probably playing, or down to play. And you can tag @EU or @NA or @alpha testers and generally people that are available will come play. I think often there are individuals waiting to see activity, but not posting about it.

• Locked thread