Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I was worried that my original cover letter format sucked, so I found someone on Fiverr who came pretty well recommended. After a few revisions, I still wasn't really sure if I liked it at a gut level, so I just went ahead and finalized it. If it's $50 down the tubes, then while it sucks, it's not the end of the world.

This is what I've used before, with the bullet points changed as necessary to highlight the major requirements of the job, and with titles/industry blurb/etc. changed as well:

quote:

Dear hiring manager,

I'm excited to have the opportunity to bring my experience as a systems administrator and engineer to Companyname. As your customers depend on your platform and services for trade risk management, your team should have someone who has a strong background of IT infrastructure skills and experience to ensure their uptime, security, and functionality. I can bring such skills and experience to the table, including:

- Present experience managing and maintaining all aspects of Current Job's New York office IT environment, including Windows clients/servers and Mac OSX machines bound to Active Directory in a complex multi-domain forest

- Involvement in projects in this position as well as at Last Job and Job Before That which covered tasks such as Active Directory functional level upgrades, security audits, schema changes, and IDS/IPS specification analysis and design

- I hold several key and vital IT certifications, including Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer/Systems Engineer for Windows Server 2012, Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate/Systems Administrator for Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008 and 2003, and VMware Certified Professional for vSphere 5.5

I am confident that my talents will allow me to quickly and successfully contribute much to Companyname's fast-paced and demanding environment. Accordingly, I welcome the opportunity to discuss my candidacy more fully with you. I can be reached at 202-775-0101, or via email at MJP@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Mike

Here's what came from the Fiverr person.

quote:

Dear John Smith,

Company Staffing is looking to fill the position of Systems Engineer. Please consider this letter and my attached resume as my application for this position. My exceptional skills in server operating systems, datacenter technologies and information technology consulting should be of interest to you in your search.

Serving as a Senior Systems Administrator for Current Job provides an opportunity to enhance my career interest in systems administration and engineering. Through this responsibility, I test and implement server-level applications for business and Proprietary Company Product systems. I also deployed Windows AFP server and Mac management to allow better management of non-PC systems. Here, I have learned to hone my abilities in building, configuring, maintaining, and further enhancing and performance-tuning servers, server-level applications, Active Directory, and its constituent services, such as DNS, GPO, and role-based security.

It is my experience as a highly certified Windows administrator/engineer with 14+ years of experience including Hyper-V and VMware virtualization that I believe make me the model candidate for the open position of Systems Engineer. My roles in system engineering and administration reflect a career of proven success driven by a rigorous process. My experiences had permitted me to become quite skilled in day-to-day management and supervision of direct reports in desktop support and I welcome the chance to utilize these skills for the company needing a Systems Engineer.

I am very enthusiastic about this position. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of me for the Systems Engineer position posted by Company Staffing. Should you have questions or need additional information, please feel free to email me at MJP@gmail.com or call me at (202) 775-0101.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

MJP

Everything I've heard about cover letters leads me to believe that while the second one is too wordy, it at least allows more descriptive parts about what I do. It still seems like it's just regurgitating and rephrasing terms literally from my resume. I can refine and tweak them out a little, but I don't want to throw time into a lost cause.

Meanwhile I worry that the first one might be a bit too much like a resume. I'm honestly not sure, and I'm open to feedback both negative and positive on which one to use, and how to improve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The second one is better but still weird and makes me think you don't speak English as your first language. I would write something like that individually for each job I applied to, and basically merge the second and third paragraphs into a single one and clean up the rest a bit.

You might want to get rid of your phone number and email address.

quote:

Dear John Smith,

Company Staffing is looking to fill the position of Systems Engineer. My extensive experience in server operating systems, datacenter technologies and information technology consulting are an excellent fit for this position and I would like to apply.

My 14 years of experience as a highly certified Windows administrator/engineer, including Hyper-V and VMware virtualization, make me an excellent candidate for this position. Serving as a Senior Systems Administrator for Current Job, I test and implement server-level applications for business and Proprietary Company Product systems. I also deployed Windows AFP server and Mac management to allow better management of non-PC systems. I am also responsible for building, configuring, maintaining, and performance-tuning servers, server-level applications, Active Directory, and its constituent services such as DNS, GPO, and role-based security.

I am very enthusiastic about this position. Thank you for your consideration for the Systems Engineer position posted by Company Staffing. Should you have questions or need additional information, please email me at xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com or call me at (202) 555-5555.

Sincerely,
MJP

The second paragraph is what I would tailor individually to each job depending on the individual job, so for example I ended up cutting out something about you having direct reports which is a good example of something I might focus on or leave out entirely depending on the job. In general though I think the thing you got back from Fiverr was awkwardly worded with a lot of garbage fluff language in it, and too many iterations of "i believe" "i think" "i feel qualified" type stuff.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Droo posted:

The second one is better but still weird and makes me think you don't speak English as your first language. I would write something like that individually for each job I applied to, and basically merge the second and third paragraphs into a single one and clean up the rest a bit.

You might want to get rid of your phone number and email address.

The second paragraph is what I would tailor individually to each job depending on the individual job, so for example I ended up cutting out something about you having direct reports which is a good example of something I might focus on or leave out entirely depending on the job. In general though I think the thing you got back from Fiverr was awkwardly worded with a lot of garbage fluff language in it, and too many iterations of "i believe" "i think" "i feel qualified" type stuff.

Those are fakes - the address isn't mine and the phone # is the RIAA. Feel free to call collect. The actual cover letter will have my actual contact info.

What you have looks pretty solid. Thank you! I'd love to get further input from anyone else interested in giving it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't use fiverr for this kind of stuff, the people you end up with are usually not native English speakers and it shows (as in your example).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dawg do not put bullet points in your cover letter

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Man do I ever hate the word "utilize"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't use fiverr for this kind of stuff, the people you end up with are usually not native English speakers and it shows (as in your example).

She listed her BA and MLS from American universities that weren't Arizona State or any of the for-profits. Either it was nicely done or I got her on a bad day, I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Duly noted. I always felt like whenever I talked about "I did X, in which I accomplished goal Y by performing tasks Z" it would always look better as a single point.

moana posted:

Man do I ever hate the word "utilize"

Cover letters and buzzwordification really suck. You think "apply" would be better in this situation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there is already a really good english word for utilize and it's use

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Important note: if the company you're applying to empowers HR to make hiring decisions (rather than the relevant manager) then buzzwords are a feature not a bug. HR speaks Corporatese, not English. Know your prey.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Think this depends on jurisdiction, if not field. I've been told* to use them in cases where I'm listing things like current responsibilities rather than semicolons. Personally I hate it but the advice I've been given is to embrace them, so :shrug:.

* By multiple people responsible for hiring, in different fields.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what the gently caress, gently caress those people

your resume lists your responsibilities in a bulleted list

if you send me a cover letter with bullet points i will throw it in the garbage

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Here's a great guide: https://www.askamanager.org/2018/05/how-to-write-a-great-cover-letter.html

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I actually know what you were talking about in the initial cover-letter, as you spoke in business function facing terms of OMS/EMS capabilities.

And given that its the trading/AM/WM industry my biggest question is around the background or title of who ultimately receives this. Target your specific person who reads it initially.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the gently caress, gently caress those people

your resume lists your responsibilities in a bulleted list

if you send me a cover letter with bullet points i will throw it in the garbage

on the flipside. If i got a wall of text cover letter I'd just ignore it and would much prefer bullet points.

But to your point, that's what a resume is for and I also haven't seen a cover letter in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's this thing, it's called paragraphs, it's pretty new and you may not have heard of it yet

• Locked thread