Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Marlboro for Cats posted:

I really like how Derren Brown tells you how the trick is done, but he's lying and the explanation is intentionally flawed.

I really like Derren Brown but Christ I wish he'd stop making those blatantly staged "hypnosis" shows. There's nothing interesting or incredible about a trick that it basically just "hey I paid an actor to do a thing". It's such a shame because I like everything else he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

For what it's worth, I know someone who works for a company that makes stage props for Derren Brown, and he apparently doesn't use stooges, or at least "not where you'd expect them". The people going up on stage at least, are all genuine members of the public.

The best thing Brown ever did for his act is allow people to think there's an element of hypnosis or subliminal suggestion or neuro-linguistic-programming at play. Whenever he has some prediction that's written down and then revealed, it's because he's either forced the outcome through use of props, or that stuff gets written down with use of miniature printers etc, or written off-stage and then subbed in by good old fashioned sleight of hand. (which he's very, very good at - there's a reason he doesn't do so much straight card magic as in the beginning of his career, and that's because he doesn't want people thinking of him as a technical magician)

That said, I thought his most recent stage special on Netflix was weirdly uninteresting and low-key compared to his previous ones.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Matinee posted:

For what it's worth, I know someone who works for a company that makes stage props for Derren Brown, and he apparently doesn't use stooges, or at least "not where you'd expect them". The people going up on stage at least, are all genuine members of the public.

The best thing Brown ever did for his act is allow people to think there's an element of hypnosis or subliminal suggestion or neuro-linguistic-programming at play. Whenever he has some prediction that's written down and then revealed, it's because he's either forced the outcome through use of props, or that stuff gets written down with use of miniature printers etc, or written off-stage and then subbed in by good old fashioned sleight of hand. (which he's very, very good at - there's a reason he doesn't do so much straight card magic as in the beginning of his career, and that's because he doesn't want people thinking of him as a technical magician)

That said, I thought his most recent stage special on Netflix was weirdly uninteresting and low-key compared to his previous ones.

Yeah because he's going to tell some random worker at some company he contracts how his poo poo is done...

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

They're the ones who design and manufacture the staging and the props. They literally have to know how the trick works to do that. It's a collaborative process and they even have some input on how the effects play out. They've all signed very scary NDOs and its possible my friend was just being obtuse, but it's a small team. It's not like Derren Brown is HH Holmes and contracts hundreds of people so nobody can see his dark designs in their full terrible splendour.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

house of the dad posted:

Best trick is when he transforms a car into a slightly smaller car by just having an assistant drive the first car off the stage. Amazing!

That seems unlikely to work as a trick live. Surely the audience would hear the car starting up and driving off behind the curtain.

Matinee posted:

One of the participants of an earlier TV special started to show up in later ones as his friend/assistant. Said the friendship came about after the trick but still..

Also I had read his book and it seems hypnosis as far as stage magic is concerned, is some sort of social pressure where people will act along with the expectation that they are hypnotised.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Marenghi posted:

That seems unlikely to work as a trick live. Surely the audience would hear the car starting up and driving off behind the curtain.

the tesla roadster was invented by magicians

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
in fact musk does very much have that "magician look" which is not a nice thing to say about someone

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

They actually brought out an airport-grade metal detector and illustrated how it was possible to get weapons through it, never mind that:

a. That did not qualify as a magic trick by any sane definition

b. Airport metal detectors, in and of themselves, aren't really a great example of going overboard with security, seeing as how they were introduced in response to planes getting hijacked to Cuba every time you turn around.

c. It was all pretty much moot now that those scanner things are in widespread use. Seriously, why didn't they just get one of those? Penn seems like the sort of person who'd have buttloads of fun with a machine that can see through clothing.

Though "Penn & Teller's Bullshit" was good when they weren't focising on Libertarian dogma.

Penn's beef with metal detectors goes way back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9IdPttScQ

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is only tangentially related, but I remember back in the 90s for New Years they did a "Live on TV someone's doing a dangerous magic trick and they could DIE!" thing where a guy was in a giant glass of champagne, that I think was filled with actual champagne, and he was chained up and had to escape. During the trick you could see he had the key in his mouth but then he dropped it and then there was some yelling and a dude with a sledge hammer ran in and smashed one of the panels of the giant glass shaped thing he was in and they cut away to like the announcer dudes. Does anyone else remember this? Did it really happen, or did I imagine it?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is only tangentially related, but I remember back in the 90s for New Years they did a "Live on TV someone's doing a dangerous magic trick and they could DIE!" thing where a guy was in a giant glass of champagne, that I think was filled with actual champagne, and he was chained up and had to escape. During the trick you could see he had the key in his mouth but then he dropped it and then there was some yelling and a dude with a sledge hammer ran in and smashed one of the panels of the giant glass shaped thing he was in and they cut away to like the announcer dudes. Does anyone else remember this? Did it really happen, or did I imagine it?

you sound crazy but that also sounds like something Lance Burton would do

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i saw darren brown on tv going into stores and buyin stuff with pieces of regular old paper cut into the same shape as money and people were like selling him jewels and precious metals and electronics and accepting this white paper shaped like a dollar because he went "ok twenty, forty, sixty, eighty, a hundred dollars" as he counted out the paper slips for the cashier

i was very impressed and tried to do this myself when i was buying drugs from my "friend" carlos. I put "friend" in quotation marks because true friends don't hit you

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Marenghi posted:

One of the participants of an earlier TV special started to show up in later ones as his friend/assistant. Said the friendship came about after the trick but still..

Also I had read his book and it seems hypnosis as far as stage magic is concerned, is some sort of social pressure where people will act along with the expectation that they are hypnotised.

music and specifically keep enough sound going to muffle it/have the car far enough away. There's a reason they usually use fancy new cars and not an old beater that backfires.
Yeah there's a lot of magic where people assume plants are involved when it's just no "people are good sports/not going to heckle and ruin the show" but the magicians usually have a few back ups planned in case someone tries to be difficult (or more likely forget stuff like what card they picked).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Marenghi posted:

You could keep it in neutral and just push it off. If the stage is angled in any way it'd be even easier.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Peanut President posted:

You could keep it in neutral and just push it off. If the stage is angled in any way it'd be even easier.

A shame they didn't show that on the masked magician. Val Valentino prancing about in front to buy time while his half naked assistants roll the car off the stage.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

This sounds very similar to the ending of a movie about Houdini, in which he fails to escape a large water filled bottle on stage, is smashed out of it with a sledgehammer, and dies.

In real life, Houdini died after braggimg to some random guy that his muscles were so strong, he could handle any kick to the stomach.

The guy kicked him super hard in the stomach before he could brace, causing fatal internal damage.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i believe that's from a cold open on the office

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

This sounds very similar to the ending of a movie about Houdini, in which he fails to escape a large water filled bottle on stage, is smashed out of it with a sledgehammer, and dies.

In real life, Houdini died after braggimg to some random guy that his muscles were so strong, he could handle any kick to the stomach.

The guy kicked him super hard in the stomach before he could brace, causing fatal internal damage.

Punches, not kicks. Houdini did it often as a trick, but the last punch Houdini took was by surprise so he didn’t have a chance to ready himself before the guy slugged him in the stomach.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not actually why he died though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It more than likely caused him to eventually die, or at least the repeated blows aggravated the condition.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I bet the guy who hit him felt like a real rear end in a top hat afterwards though

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Matinee posted:

I bet the guy who hit him felt like a real rear end in a top hat afterwards though

or maybe he became the new World's Greatest Magician

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Escape Clause starring Tim Allen

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

He started the modern line of witch hunters. Except they only hunt down stage illusionists.

You don't hear about these guys so much. Even the old school witch hunters don't want them in the union, but they are.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remember this. I think it was Penn & Teller. But someone told me it was staged.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
Anyway, I miss the old "event" magic TV specials that were David Copperfield making the Statue Of Liberty disappear, or Lance Burton tied to a roller coaster track like a damsel in distress. Val Valentino and Arrested Development made those mostly go away.

Magic used to be much, much more popular than it is now.

Also:

quote:

In October of 2017, Valentino announced that he had been diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, and was given one year to live from the time of the diagnosis. Valentino refused conventional treatment, and is still fighting the disease as of 2018.[3]

Hopefully he can make that disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

LoonyLeif posted:

Hopefully he can make that disappear.

Based on what I've seen of his magic skills, he's going to die

• Locked thread