Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PleasureKevin posted:

ok, i thought it would be more complicated than that. are you saying i just gotta install the right combination of stuff and games will run?

you’d probably have to build the right combination of stuff more than install it

wouldn’t surprise me though if CodeWeavers and others are working on a “dxm” to implement the DirectX APIs directly atop Metal for their Mac products, so they can stop trying to fit them to OpenGL and also avoid the multiple-layers of-translation problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

eschaton posted:

you’d probably have to build the right combination of stuff more than install it

that’s what i thought, but then again how are they running Windows games on SteamOS with it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tankakern posted:

this thread suddenly got a lot more relevant too, it finally emerged who were financing dxvk!

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

extremely awesome, it seems like this could push a lot of people over the linux edge
I was pitching this idea to Valve (bundling a tested version of Wine with steam) 5 years ago. I even had the same suggestions about certifying apps, community testing, and partnering with Codeweavers if needed.

Looks like they only got started 2 years ago. Apparently I wasn't talking to the right person.

Triglav posted:

dont use wine. play official ports, use a passthrough windows vm, and boot into window for games that dont like vm (counter-strike)
Wine is a tool for making official ports. But that process is needless -- if the game works in Proton (Valve's bundled Wine) then there's no reason to not just run it there. It'll play and perform the same without rebooting.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

pram posted:

actually it mostly benefits the worlds most advanced operating system: macos

WINE can't run 64-bit Windows apps on 64-bit macOS due to ABI incompatibilities unless those apps have been specifically compiled with macOS ABI compatibility in mind.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

honest question, does that benefit macOS at all?

carry on then posted:

"no plans" to support macos, says valve

did you idiots not even click on the link lol

quote:

Steam client which allows games which are exclusive to Windows to run on Linux and macOS operating systems.

it includes moltenvk. hth

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Tankakern posted:

no

what the hell, "counter-strike"? all cs versions has been out on linux since valve started the focus on linux

yeah. i was using cs more as an example. its my understanding VAC will kick (not ban) you from csgo competitive matches if you play in a VM. battleye supposedly does something similar in PUBG

a lovely game i actually play has a linux and mac port, but its outsourced to an external studio that takes a million years to release patches. other games are windows only. passthrough vm dominates

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

ah yes, all 0 parties interested in gaming on macos can get right on this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
said with zero self awareness in a thread about linux 'gaming'

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

i read about it a couple days ago and didn't see macOS mentioned, please forgive me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

said with zero self awareness in a thread about linux 'gaming'

it's never coming to macos

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for linking that the steam thing came out. I was able to play MSG V no issues and was pleasantly surprised.

Not needing to fiddle too much with various forks of wine was nice, can’t wait for them to keep adding new titles.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:yosnice:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

moltenvk 1.0.20 out, maybe interesting because they've wired up a few more extensions

now if all the people in the project thread could stop fiddling with metal and get going with moltenvk it would be great

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

someone from phoronix also mentioned gfx-rs for you rust people

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Apple release the MetalBox 360

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Pippin One

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

as long as it has Dirt Bike it's a day one purchase for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leGlRL8MFc0

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

as long as it has Dirt Bike it's a day one purchase for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leGlRL8MFc0

i memba this

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

moltenvk 1.0.20 out, maybe interesting because they've wired up a few more extensions

now if all the people in the project thread could stop fiddling with metal and get going with moltenvk it would be great

why would I want to do that? metal is nicer than vulkan IMHO.

if I’m writing something for windows it’s gonna use DX, mac and ios versions use metal (mac also gets opengl if I wanna support old macs like my home 2011 iMac LOL). linux never enters into the picture.

even if you only use vulkan, you’re gonna have to do platform and vendor specific tweaks anyway.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

why would I want to do that? metal is nicer than vulkan IMHO.

if I’m writing something for windows it’s gonna use DX, mac and ios versions use metal (mac also gets opengl if I wanna support old macs like my home 2011 iMac LOL). linux never enters into the picture.

even if you only use vulkan, you’re gonna have to do platform and vendor specific tweaks anyway.

i can't do anything about you hating on linux, but why would you use dx on windows if you could just make all the graphics stuff with vulkan from the start. it's not like vulkan's not working in windows.

vulkan works everywhere, so why not use it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spite

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
because using the platform API instead of a third party wrapper will always result in something that’s better for the user

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

third party wrapper

dont talk about the failed contraception that lead to your conception

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

because using the platform API instead of a third party wrapper will always result in something that’s better for the user

you say that, but i can't see why

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

remains to be seen, some day something of value other than a wrapper may be written against metal by a third party, but it has yet to happen

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

the user doesn't even know what a rendering API is

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

the only real bits of platform specific vulkan code required is a few lines to setup the swapchain

plus, renderdoc runs on macs now, but only for vulkan via moltenvk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

the user doesn't even know what a rendering API is

no, but the developer is the one who has to make it all performant.

on windows, using DX, you can use Microsoft’s first party DX perf tools.

on mac, using metal, you can use apple’s first party metal performance tools.

with vulkan, you can use...?

the developer is also the one who gets blamed for stuff like driver issues making a game not work, and on windows everyone’s DX11 drivers are a lot more mature than vulkan.

the user will generally have a better experience if you use native APIs when possible.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

the only real bits of platform specific vulkan code required is a few lines to setup the swapchain

plus, renderdoc runs on macs now, but only for vulkan via moltenvk

by “tweaks” I don’t mean platform setup stuff. I mean, like, using different extensions that may be available on one platform but not another, etc

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

on windows, using DX, you can use Microsoft’s first party DX perf tools.

on windows you generally end up using the gpu vendors' perf tools which support multiple apis. microsoft's own gpuview works with multiple apis as well for seeing what's happening at the wddm level. renderdoc can interact with the vendors' perf tools now too

vulkan does not lack tools at this point

Doc Block posted:

by “tweaks” I don’t mean platform setup stuff. I mean, like, using different extensions that may be available on one platform but not another, etc

the only platform-specific extensions most developers will ever need are for swapchain setup. there are others for cross-process synchronization, memory sharing and display leasing, but unless you are writing a windowing system or vr compositor you will never need to touch those.

anything vendor specific is generally available on both linux and windows, mac is the only oddball since the compatability layers are limited to what metal exposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

WINE can't run 64-bit Windows apps on 64-bit macOS due to ABI incompatibilities unless those apps have been specifically compiled with macOS ABI compatibility in mind.

https://www.winehq.org/announce/2.0 ?

• Locked thread