Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Halcyon City! There’s no place like it, anywhere else on earth. And to those who call it home, there’s no place better. Halcyon City is a massive, bustling megalopolis. Gleaming silver skyscrapers adorn its business districts, and assorted streets, bridges, and rails crisscross its body. Countless people from countless cultures and walks of life populate this great city. It’s a contradictory and wonderful combination of darkness, crime, corruption, and flaws, built on the errors of the past alongside light, hope, and the promise of change and growth. It’s always been the city of tomorrow and yesterday, and that’s never been truer than today.

Halcyon is the focal point of the super-powered, extra-normal world. Caped figures soar through its skies and break into fights against terrible monsters and gigantic robots. Villains scheme in nefarious lairs hidden in the clouds over the city, while heroes meet and contemplate their next course of action in their golden halls of justice. Paranormal adventurers walk Halcyon City’s streets, looking for distortions and portals to other realms, while time travelers and aliens make this city their home, for better or worse.

And, of course, there's you! With friends and colleagues at your side, how can the forces of evil hope to resist the new generation of heroes?

What's this?
It's Masks! Be a teenager with superpowers and work out your issues by punching evil! Be accused of ruining beloved social institutions!

Where is this on the four-colors-to-gritty-90s spectrum?
There's definitely going to be drama and action and heroics in roughly equal measure, as this is Masks, but lean more towards touchstones like Legends of Tomorrow or Young Justice to flavor your concept than, say, Watchmen. I'm going to be partially making decisions based on team chemistry, so keep that in mind! It's entirely cool to have a gruff loner, but make sure there's a reason that they (a) are on the team in the first place and (b) they have room to let people in. When in doubt, err on the side of the material presented in the Masks core book.

I'm interested, but what are the specifics?
* 3-5 players.
* Asynchronous Discord; prioritizing more frequent, shorter posts to keep momentum up. Server is here.
* Recruitment will be open until the 27th, depending on interest and other factors. I will provide 24 hours notice before new apps are closed if that timeline changes.
* There will likely not be additional questions during the recruit phase, though the world will be fleshed out after picks are made.

What should I post for my app?
Alright, here's where it's different than the usual Masks recruit: please do not post a sheet, nor answer playbook questions. To ensure that the group is a bit more cohesive than not, we'll be handling final character generation, including playbook selection, questions, and mechanics, after picks have been made. To this end, I'd just like the following:
* A picture of your hero and their superhero name.
* A brief rundown of who they are, why they've chosen to be a hero, how they fight crime, and what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game. This doesn't need to be set in stone, particularly if you're looking at, say, a concept that might work as a Transformed or Bull, but it does help me figure out who might mesh well.
* Two or three playbooks that highlight core narratives you'd like to address with your character. LE are open for this, but I will likely only have one in the final group. If you are absolutely set on one, or have a character in mind that only works with a single playbook, get with me on Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Name: Ma'at - The Mummy Girl

quote:

A brief rundown of who they are, why they've chosen to be a hero, how they fight crime, and what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game. This doesn't need to be set in stone, particularly if you're looking at, say, a concept that might work as a Transformed or Bull, but it does help me figure out who might mesh well.

"Life was simpler back in the old days. You worshipped the gods. Served the Pharaoh, did your duty. But then the Pharaoh died and they picked you to be his eternal guardian. You get mummified, embalmed. Sealed up in a magic sarcophagus and you wait. Doesn't matter if you didn't actually want that at all!

So I spent some time in the afterlife, serving my Pharaoh faithfully. I'm almost getting used to it. The magics imbued into my five part soul are actually kinda fun, and I guess never having to worry about getting fat is nice. I mean, have you seen my figure? Well, we're relaxing one day. Watching Mighty Ra's path across the sky, when my Pharaoh looks to be alarmed. "Something is wrong" he says "You must protect me!" Everything goes black.

So imagine my surprise when the lid opens up, and someone shines a flashlight in my face and tries to take my necklace! The Mummies's curse! I'll give you curse all right! Rude! Where am I? What year is this? What- What have you done to my home?!"

An ancient Mummy given extraordinary powers, resurrected in the modern night when someone managed to crack her tomb. She is still bound to her duties, in death as she was in life. But separated from her cult (and unsure if they even still exist) she seeks to discover what has happened in her absence, and try to bring justice and law back to a world that's gone mad!

She's an outsider, separated from the world she knew. She's an undead being. No longer human, and it's really obvious. She's a wrecking ball, her magics and the curses that bind her making her nearly indestructible. Wielding the powers of the soul. She can empower herself, or command the very elements of the world to her command, or even call upon the powers of the gods themselves to aid her in her times of need.

quote:

Two or three playbooks that highlight core narratives you'd like to address with your character. LE are open for this, but I will likely only have one in the final group. If you are absolutely set on one, or have a character in mind that only works with a single playbook, get with me on Discord.

Bull / Outsider / Transformed

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 22, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Asuka Kagami, aka Dawnblade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-RHAIvoH5A

quote:

Who are you?

"I am Asuka Kagami, the Dawnblade, former heir to the Kagami family line. Out of my three siblings, I was the one who was chosen to succeed our mother as the new "Empress of Shadows." I was given the best education possible, the best training, all so I could become the next leader to our family's empire, and while I initially accepted my responsibilities without question, I still had a few... reservations about the way my family handled things. We had all this wealth, power, and influence, but we would only use it to further our own ambitions. We would manipulate things from the shadows, making sure they go in a way that would favor us, all to further increase the power we had over the city."

"That... never sat well with me, but I pushed all my doubts away, and focused on my duties as the next heir. It wasn't until I met Kaede Saito, the Sparrow, that things changed for me. She and I have crossed blades once, and she sensed the doubts in my heart. After our battle, where she bested me, she told me of a better way, a way for me to use my skills to help people. She offered a new path for me, one where I no longer had to fight in the shadows, one where I would be able to make a real difference. 'The Path of the Hero' is what she called it. I did not accept her offer... not right away. Her words stuck with me, and eventually, I came to her, and accepted her offer. From that day onward, I decided to no longer walk in my family's shadow anymore, and I would walk into the light of dawn instead!"

quote:

Why are you a hero?

"During my studies, I came across the term Noblesse Oblige- a term where those of noble birth have a moral obligation to help those less fortunate than them, and it is a word that has stuck with me ever since I first saw it. As someone of noble birth, and as a hero, it is my responsibility- no, my duty to use my position to help those who are in need, and I am honor-bound to fight back against those who wish to cast darkness over the light, even if those who did it happen to be my own family."

quote:

How do they fight crime?

"My family's sacred sword, the Kusanagi, is used to enhance my own physical abilities, allowing me to go past my own human limits, and perform feats that are normally impossible. I am also trained in a variety of sword-fighting techniques, but I am partial to using Iaijutsu as my main fighting technique, going for swift strikes that would end the battle as quickly as possible."

quote:

What issues do you want your character to confront?

Asuka is a girl who's stuck in-between two worlds; the world of heroes, and the world of villains. She's dedicated to her new cause, but she's still fighting back against her own past influences, and a part of her is still loyal to her family. I'd like to explore the conflict of those two sides, and what it means to be your own person.

Also, Asuka basically lived life as a high-ranking noble until she decided to become a hero, so I'd also like to see her get all flustered and confused at the most basic, mundane things. :v:

quote:

Two or three playbooks that highlight core narratives you'd like to address with your character. LE are open for this, but I will likely only have one in the final group. If you are absolutely set on one, or have a character in mind that only works with a single playbook, get with me on Discord.

Scion, Reformed, Protege.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 25, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Just can't quit you, masks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I've heard about games Powered By The Apocalypse, and I think I might try my hand at this one. Will edit and fill in later.

Beware: New to the rules, so I please ask for patience with regards to my questions and misunderstandings.

Name: Garret Trapp aka "Smokescreen"

Who are you?

Garret is a high schooler in his junior year at the age of 17, attending Halycon High (Go Bulldogs!). Garret is a slacker of the "Does really well when he applies himself, but he just doesn't" school, coasting by on a high C/low B average in his classes. Garret's powers have always been around since he was young, but puberty gave him that last push he really needed to master it. Personality-wise, Garret is sarcastic, intuitive, and cool-headed, but he's also a jokester who loves a good prank, and he has a strong sense of justice.

Why are you a hero?

It all comes back to 'standing up for the little guy'. In school, Garret makes it a personal mission to prank those who hurt others-bullies, jocks, queen bees, and bad teachers. He's done that since elementary, but with his grasp on his new powers, he realized something-in all the chaos of world-ending threats, giant monsters and evil scientists, sometimes, the 'little people' get forgotten-victims of street level crime like drugs, home invasion, robberies, and so forth. That's not to undervalue what the big heroes do-he respects them for their courage-but sometimes, the small things get forgotten in the aftermath of a big event. That's where Smokescreen comes in.

How do they fight crime?

Smokescreen's powers are simple-He can turn his body into smoke, and back again. While his clothing transforms with him, anything he's carrying (like a weapon) or anything sufficiently large (like a backpack or an innocent civilian in his arms in a bridal carry) does not. He can slip through small cracks and air vents, use it to avoid an attack, and even float or fly briefly.

Smokescreen isn't big on plans, and focuses more on quick, lateral thinking and improvisation in a fight.

What issues do you want your character to confront?

Street-level supercrime, ala My Hero Academia: Vigilantes.

Playbooks?

Janus/Delinquent.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 22, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Yami Fenrir posted:

Just can't quit you, masks.

quote:

Gonna go with Imago/Cecilia Thompson.

quote:

* A brief rundown of who they are, why they've chosen to be a hero, how they fight crime, and what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game. This doesn't need to be set in stone, particularly if you're looking at, say, a concept that might work as a Transformed or Bull, but it does help me figure out who might mesh well.

Cecilia Thompson comes from an average family. They afforded to send her send her and her little brother to school, but only due to working hard and long, causing the two of them to often be alone or with the grandparents. Cecilia ended up shy and anxious as a result, trying to do her best to not get in anyone's way. In school itself she performed above average, but not due to a particular aptitude - quite the opposite, she was having a hard time - but due to working hard on her studies.

Things changed considerably when her powers awakened. Even in the world of supers, they were different. Overwhelming. Throwing the very basics of superpowers to question, in some way. Cecilia, or Imago as she calls herself in her heroic persona, has the ability to simply manifest superpowers in herself, at a strength beyond ordinary powers. Unfortunately, The same can't be said for control of said power...

For Cecilia, it really was a bit too much. In a single day, her life turned upside down. Nothing had prepared her for this sudden jump in power... and responsibility. But still, she simply can't get herself to sit idly. With such a power at her disposal, Cecilia feels herself forced to act. She'd never be able to forgive herself if someone came to harm because she did nothing.

Imago sees her power as somewhat of a curse, but feels forced to use them. In general, I've found the scenario of someone rather unwilling thrusted into a position of power and responsibility interesting. I'd like to see her grow into her role, as well as see the reactions of other people - heroes and villains both - to someone who simply has too much power for their own good. In general I'd love to see the way the superhero world views the team - not just the press. Have it be a factor beyond how good or bad the fight went, etc.

quote:

* Two or three playbooks that highlight core narratives you'd like to address with your character. LE are open for this, but I will likely only have one in the final group. If you are absolutely set on one, or have a character in mind that only works with a single playbook, get with me on Discord.

Nova/Doomed. Preferably Nova, but Doomed also works, but needs some retooling.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 22, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Scavanger
(Real Name: Mahavira Sharma)
Playbook: Beacon

quote:

A brief rundown of who they are

Scavanger (the name was given to him by the press, he was hoping for a better one) is a regular kid who decided to become a superhero. He has no powers, but that's not going to stop him from doing what he can.

quote:

Why they've chosen to be a hero

To help keep the city of Halcyon City and the ordinary people safe. And also it's really really fun and exciting, even if super dangerous.

quote:

How they fight crime

Scavanger doesn't have any powers of his own, but he can figure out useful things, see what's going on, and read people. With that, and helping his teammates, he's able to contribute in his own way. He's also pretty in shape and has training in some martial arts, which helps out against the less powerful villains.

quote:

what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game

Being the ordinary person on the team with no powers, and trying to handle super villains who are far more dangerous.

Dealing with people, be they his team mates, other heroes, or the people he fights against.

A little bit of ordinary life when he's not out as a superhero.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 21, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eve Adams, aka

So, uh, stop me if you've heard this before. Average college student is out for a walk in the woods, and sees a bright light fall from the sky near them. Of course, she goes to investigate and finds a mysterious device in a crater in the middle of a bamboo grove. Yeah, like the story. And this thing...talks to me. Says it's....from the moon. Yeah, yeah, I know. So this doohickey--

I AM NOT JUST A DOOHICKEY!

There it goes talking again.

I AM THE HIME DRIVER, THE GREATEST TECHNOLOGICAL MARVEL OF THE MOON KINGDOM!

Yeah, so this thing--

I GRANT MY USER ULTIMATE POWER! THE POWER TO TRANSFORM INTO KAGUYA!

Yes, KAGUYA. An armored superhero with extraordinary abilities.

ABILITIES YOU WILL HAVE TO USE TO DEFEAT A GREAT EVIL!

Yeah, and what great evil?

I AM NOT AUTHORIZED TO SAY AT THIS POINT.

Whatever you say. In the meantime, I'm gonna use these powers in any way I can.

Who: College student who found an alien device that gives her superpowers
Why: I mean, she always kinda wanted to be a superhero anyway, and it helps that the belt won't shut up about how she's destined to save the Moon Kingdom
How: The KAGUYA suit allows the basic enhanced strength and speed and also allows her to tap into cosmic energy, aka MOON MAGIC
What: Destiny, responsibility, how our decisions define who we are

Beacon/Janus/Nova

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

who they are
Victim/creation (depending on who you ask) of the rogue(?) government(???) GEMM Project, Juliet "Jewels" Lawless (adopted name) memories of life before her time there are vague to non-existant. She was given a diamond body (appears red) in the attempt to create controllable superhuman weapons or new life. One of several experiments, most of her most solid memories are of her sibling test subject/creations and the time they spent together, as well as the trauma of the tests they were put through. During an escape attempt, she created enough destruction to attract the attention of some superheroes who were able to rescue her, but not all of the experiments.

why they've chosen to be a hero
Adopted by one of her rescuers, Jewels is following in their footsteps to help others, but her main goal is to free her 'siblings' who remain in her experimenters captivity and bring the people behind it to justice.

how they fight crime
Given a diamond body, Jewels has incredible physical durability, and can use it to refract and control light or create temporary diamond structures outside of herself (think like ice powers) to defend or smash through things. Though her body slowly reverts back to human after changing shape, her arm is permanently mishaped and she can't keep the rest of herself looking completely normal for long, it changes shape reflexively. [Maybe not if she isn't Transformed]

what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game. 
Finding a surrogate family with her friends, coming to terms with yourself and overcoming your past to build a future. Evil government agencies and conspiracies are a plus.

Bull, Transformed, Newborn

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 24, 2018

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Shirley Lockhart, aka Reverie

quote:

Who are you?

By day, I'm a normal, everyday high school student (and international pop sensation). By night, I'm the muse to Halcyon's heroes. The Witch of Song, Reverie.

...That first part is probably going to change. I've lost the ability to empower others with my music. I can still protect the public just fine, but not everyone's happy I'm changing my, er, gimmick. Especially all those would-be superheroes who learned I was able to awaken latent powers. Some people I worked with...people I thought were friends have started treating me as a rival for the public's attention.

quote:

Why did you choose to be a hero?

Dude, I'm a magical girl. I even have the flying cat mascot (in the interest of full disclosure, Ruby's true form is a cross between an Old Testament angel and a dragon). It kind of comes with the territory.

But seriously. I have the power to change the world. How could I not use it for good? Between the forces of dark magic and a bazillion flavors of mundane, banal evil, people wouldn't be able to sleep at night without heroes. And they deserve to. People should know there's someone looking after them. Someone who wants to help create a better future for all.

Also, slicing demons with a laser blade never gets old.

quote:

How do you fight crime?

In case it wasn't clear, I really am a magic user. One with an affinity for the element of Light. Which means I can throw around energy blasts all day and conjure visual illusions. Plus, Ruby has taught me a few neat tricks beyond what you might imagine. For example, a spell to become a light elemental who can phase through transparent objects. Keep in mind that my magical specialty extends to metaphysical light (like truth, hope or love). Stuff creatures of darkness just can't stand.

But I'm not only here to blast bad guys. Sometimes, heroes also need help. They're as flawed as anybody else, and no one can (or should have to) carry that kind of weight alone. I want to believe I can still give Halcyon's hero community the helping hand they need to reach the stars. That includes my teammates, of course. And, really, anyone else who wants to make the world a better place. A lot of people have more hero potential than they give themselves credit for.

quote:

What sort of themes and issues do you want them to confront?

Identity, teenagers taking on the responsibilities of powerful adults, the person behind the mask or grandiose name, how having power changes people.

quote:

Playbooks?

Star, Legacy, Protege

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 25, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Does Bravura know you're looking for a new team? :-)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Ifrit fully powered up.

Alain Crenshaw worried that he might have hurt someone.

A brief rundown of who they are

Alain was a normal kid entering high school, puberty had barely begun, and he was one of the luckier kids in school, he was just smart enough that he didn't have to work to hard in class, just charming enough to get through the day as neither one of the outcast kids, nor one of the "popular" kids. His primary interests included ice cream, soccer, video games, arabian nights, and the cute girl in biology (Sarah). He has a younger sister(Catherine 13) and brother (James 11).

Everything changed around his 15th birthday. For a week he would wake up and his bed would feel warm. Then one day he woke up to a smoke alarm, as he got out of bed he realize thatboth it and he were covered in flames. He was stunned to realize that he was not in pain, and then as he stood in his room staring at his hands on fire, the fire went out, and he was left with a smouldering bed.

He told his parents that his gameboy had caught on fire to explain the burnt bed.

After that day, he spent months trying to understand his powers, and where they came from. His best guess is that his powers are an adaptation that happens randomly to some citizens of Halcyon.
He started fighting crime about 3 months ago, so far he has been stopping street level crime, muggings, assaults, and trying to put out fires that occur.

why they've chosen to be a hero

He never liked bullies, and before his powers he just made sure he wasn't a target of them. Criminals are just another sort of bully, and with his powers can do more than just not be a target.
Also, when he lets the fire free, it feels awesome.

how they fight crime

Ifrit is a patrol the city, and stop crimes in action sort of crime-fighter, although he would like to learn how to be an investigator, he just hasn't figured out how yet?
He does have a police-scanner app on his phone.

what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game.

Issues that I want to explore:

Where is the line between stopping the bullies, and being one yourself?

Balancing normal life and hero life.

Are all authorities bullies?

Possible playbooks: Nova, Janus, Legacy might be able to do as a Bull??

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tricky posted:

Imagine there's a messenger bag on his shoulder with gadgets
Daybreak

Tricky posted:

* A brief rundown of who they are
"I'm from the future, and I'm here to help! And trust me, from what I've seen, you guys really need it."

After escaping a dystopic future using an experimental time portal, Daybreak found his current team rather quickly. Even with his memories getting a bit scrambled from the trip, he knew that this team was going to be pivotal in the future. So, now he's here with a a plucky, can-do attitude, a spotty memory of 21st century trivia, and a host of ridiculously futuristic gadgets to make sure his past isn't the world's future.

Tricky posted:

Why they've chosen to be a hero
"Well... if the future is broken, it must have been broken! Which means, if I figure out who exactly did the breaking, I can put this world back on track!"

Basically, the future is... bad. Really, really bad.

Faced with the two hopeless options of trying to fix the unfixable and resigning himself to things never getting better, Daybreak chose the much more reasonable option of going back in time and preventing the future from becoming so bad in the first place.

Also, he's... a bit of a nerd about the Age of Heroes, as the present is known in his time. Even if he can't remember everything he knew about 21st century, he still can rattle off the major players of the Gold age and their most well known clashes. It's only when he gets to the latest crop of heroes that his memory gets a little fuzzier. Still, getting to rub shoulders with the Shining Specter and the Shadow II? It's a hero nerd's dream!

Tricky posted:

How they fight crime
"For the last time, positronic reversal is not magic! It just... hasn't been invented yet."

Futuristic technology that honestly has more in common with magic than contemporary technology, but his specialty is a glove that manipulates light. Gathering it up to shoot laser blasts, darkening areas, condensing it into solid objects, and so on. Hence, Daybreak! (He's very proud of that name, by the by.)
He's also got a head full of half remembered 21st century trivia, which is more useful than you'd think.

Tricky posted:

What sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game
Meeting your heroes being complicated.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Anyone can be redeemed, as long as they're willing to put in the work.

Tricky posted:

Doomed/Harbinger

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 24, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Chloe McManus
aka
PULSAR
Personal with Unknown Living Superior Alien Robotics

Tricky posted:

who they are

My parents aren't superheroes or aliens or anything like that. We lived outside Cleveland - my dad's an ER nurse and my mom works for an insurance company. I've got an older brother and younger sister, and a cat named Monty. I got good enough grades in school, had friends and ran on the track and cross country teams. Even had a really good dress picked for prom, if only I could find a good date...which I was absolutely going to before the accident.

Right, the accident. That's a....funny story. Odd-funny. My family had gone up to the UP on a campaing vacation, because mom and dad are *huge* outdoorsy types. I'll admit it can be fun, when I was little I'd run around with my sibs playing whatever came into our heads - forest tigers or astronauts or superheroes, you know how little kids are. And the woods are a great place to run. Nice and quiet, you can get some good distance under you and clear your head, and it's better than training on the track for cross country anyway. I was a couple hours out from our camp site when I heard something, a screeching swooping noise. A fireball came right over me and made this big smoking crater. Me, I just *had* to go check it out. It sat there, pulsing and twisting and when I got too close....

Tricky posted:

why they've chosen to be a hero,

Hiding never solves anything! I'm not going to lock myself away from people forever, and if I'm going to be out in the world, isn't it better to be seen doing good? I know that's kind of self-serving, but you won't tell anybody, will you?

Tricky posted:

how they fight crime, and

Being changed is...strange. My weight's all weird, I can feel motors and gears clicking, and I keep getting combat data and algorithms fed into my mind. I don't like that as much as I like helping in disasters and accidents. I can 'listen' to the police radios and stuff, so when there's a fire or a crash or something, boom, out of bed and in like a light to help. I'm not indestructable, but I'm way tougher than a normal human. About a month ago, I even held up a building during a fire to keep it from collapsing while they evacuated the building. That was awesome.

Tricky posted:

what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game.

Self acceptance, dealing with prejudice, control over her her abilities, in various ratios depending on game tone and playbook.

Tricky posted:

* Two or three playbooks that highlight core narratives you'd like to address with your character.
Transformed, leaning more on angst.
Bull, leaning more on the love of heroics.
Could possibly stretch to a Protege (training w/ a similarly-affected mentor) or a Nova

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Shaun Beasley aka. Black Iris

quote:

Who are you?

"..."

"Hi. Name's Shaun. Just Shaun is fine. Went to high school at Halcyon Heights. Used to be a pretty normal guy. Then it turned out I'm a latent telepath and things got out of hand."

"...No I don't think you need to know more."

"No I can't lower the hood."

"Because it's the only thing keeping me sane and your mind intact. Understand?"

"..."

"That's what you all think. But you don't."

quote:

Why have you chosen to be a hero?

"Because it's either that or become a villain. Or a crazy hermit."

"I can't be with normal people, anymore."

quote:

How do you fight crime?

"I know what others think. I know what others feel. Always. Can't turn it off. Would if I could. Can delve their memories. Can send whispers in their head, or visions."

"Or just mindblast them, I suppose."

quote:

What sort of themes and issues do you want them to confront?

How do you interact with others when all pretensions and secrets are impossible? Is it possible to connect with others when you know them intimately on a level they could never know you just by looking at them? Can you ever truly be a friend with someone whose mind you can (and in fact cannot avoid to) read? How do you deal with the fact that your very existence is a massive imposition and invasion on the right to privacy that others have? These are the questions Shaun struggles with as he tries to ward off seclusion and cynicism.

quote:

Playbook

Doomed/Nova/(Protege or Delinquent here but really this guy only works with the first two options)

Theantero fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 22, 2018

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

When evil stands before you!
When the darkness within your heart starts to take over!
When there is no one there to help you!
Getterman will be there!

I am Getterman! Hero to the little man, the light that shines within the darkness! The one who will break through the shadows that lurk in you!

quote:

A brief rundown of who they are, why they've chosen to be a hero,
Getterman is at in the end, an Otaku at heart. He lived for them really cheesy old superhero cartoons from back in the day where heroes did good for purely altruistic reasons. He has socializing as his normal non-hero self but as Getterman he is bombastic, friendly and willing to help those who need the help the most. Why does he do it though? Because it makes him feel good that he is helping society, that he can be a paragon to those that need it. He might not have the strength nor the skill like others, but gosh darn it, he is willing to do his best!

Outside of being a superhero, he works part time at a toy store his family owns and goes to school. Koji doesn't really have many friends and is a bit of a dweeb outside of his mask. He will eventually get to the point where he doesn't need his mask to be outward. Getterman is a facade if you will, a persona, one that Koji uses to work through his own internalized issues. He earnestly believes that the best thing is to keep fighting towards a better future, even if its one that he cannot see.

quote:

how they fight crime
Getterman is not really strong on his own, he is a gadget hero who builds toy based gadgets in his family's toy shop and uses them in his exploits. He has some knowledge of self defense but calling him a master of any martial art is a bit excessive. He knows just enough to squeak by. Getterman's main tool is his Kendama, a cup and ball type of toy with an elastic string. The ball is electrified and sticky to help take down the bad guy. He also carries a collapsible baseball bat, and explosive balls of various kinds. He also has a small mini robot he build named Getternyan who helps him when times get tough.

quote:

and what sorts of issues and themes you want them to confront in-game. This doesn't need to be set in stone, particularly if you're looking at, say, a concept that might work as a Transformed or Bull, but it does help me figure out who might mesh well.
In the end I would say Getterman's biggest issue internally is his own inability to socialize without his mask. Maybe he grew up by media and it caused him to not really now how to deal with people in real life. Maybe he was just a person who needed to learn to make friends but never took the chance. Whatever the reason he is alone and usually pretty lonely. I would say some major themes for him is Hope, Friendship, fighting against despair and bettering oneself. My main project with him is to build a paragon with some depth. Yeah Getterman is a paragon but outside of it he is hurting, depressed, alone. And he has some hard time reaching out to people as his normal self. My end goal for him is to be able to take off his mask, his persona and accept himself as who he is and become the Koji that Getterman wants him to be.

quote:

Janus, The Beacon, the Legacy

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 24, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Being dead is no good, so I decided to quit it. Sorry, haters.

I don't really know a thing about it, before you ask about Heaven or Hell or the now tragically less trendy Land of Two Fields. Fields! Everybody's about clouds or the unself these days. All I know is: being dead, thumbs down. Bleh. And no, I'm not like a thousand-year old biddy, I hardly remember any of that. Sometimes in dreams or dazes I get visions of things-that-where, but usually not exciting unless you're a historian. No, I won't write your history books for you. I'm an unreliable narrator!

You know, I know, I died famously in the Damocles Crisis. I don't really... know the old me. Mes? Selves. I guess I was worshipped once, which sounds like a big headache but I guess I was into it because hey, cats had it good. I took a hit for the team; the team is catkind. But you know, mortals are flaky, I mean, you see who runs a lot of this world. Huh? Huh? Well... guess it's less funny when you don't think you'll live forever. Anyway, my past self got bitter and selfish, I guess, and then became this cartoon villain who was like and now I steal the emerald sphinx because I was an old crazy deity who most people did not like. I don't even like her and she was me! I guess some people did like the way she looked in a catsuit. No, I don't want to hear about it. Gross.

But- and this is all second-hand, so, you know, don't backpat me, I don't get the legit credit- when Starog the Void Beast attacked, ex-me had stolen the of Eye of Ra to hold him off and keep him from swallowing the Cosmic Barge of the Sun. Good for the rest of the pantheon, but it was daylights for me. Literally, as the Sun Barge ran went out of sight. The-me-that-was held it off for Earth's heroes to escape and fight him. I don't know why. But that was enough for me to die for a time, squashed in his event horizon. Soul-crushing.

And you know, most times nowadays, an old god dies, that's mostly for good. Not enough worshippers to roll you out of the golden casket. But cats. Cats always have always had devotees. And I think that helped me hang on. And then... well... you know. Cat videos. There's power in cats. My power. I mean, it's not exactly golden statues and wrapped cat corpses, but it's enough for me to be born again. And- guess- there's anime- and- y'know, let's not talk about that part. Let's stick to cat videos, felinememes. Macros. The power of internet. That's why I'm here. I'm not giving weirdos credit for me. But is it enough for a god? Maybe I'm just a last spark of... well... hm. Nevermind. Spoilers.

But I feel like... I was born out of my past self's desire for good, that last spark? I can feel that. Not... remember it. It's like all the bitter went bye-bye! Protector goddess days are here again! Worship not required. Feels a bit weird for a modern god. The others talk about those old days of prayers and patrons, but... it's weird, right? In any case, I've got cats. I've got eyes everywhere. I know it's still not great. But I can do things about it. I can see wherever a cat at, if I focus. And sure, there's stopping violence, saving people in trouble, relief is just a cat away- but there's more. There's all the secrets they notice. Their little cat heads don't recognize what evil moneylenders do, but I can. And then reporters do. And judges. Gotcha, you grubby greyhair merchants.

You may wonder: what's it like to be a modern god? What's being an world-famous ancient figure do to a tiny head? Can I rewrite the old rules? Is spying on people with cats totally against some dumb law I don't care about? Can the power of Manu and Choupette be harnessed for good? Can I still live forever and ever? Or am I on just bonus time?

Well, if you're interested, remember to like and subscribe! I'll have videos about solving mysteries and fighting evil thanks to my cat-meraman.

fine, fine, I'll take the camera off, just c'mere

*fumble* *click*

( Doomed? Outsider? Delinquent? )

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Who are you?

"Ah, that's... that's very nice of you to ask! Most people ask what I am first."

This can depend slightly on the playbook, but Viscosity's origin is always in a chemistry lab. Some say she was simply an experiment that started talking on its own. Some say she was an ordinary girl who went through horrible experiments and ended up this way. Some say she's some kind of space alien that was extracted from a meteorite... Really though, what matters is that Viscosity is a person and desperately wants to be treated like one. She's had to learn or relearn things people take for granted, from holding a basic shape to walking and talking. She wants to make friends and be accepted as part of the team. Mostly, she wants people to trust her, because ever since she woke up in a vat, no one really has. This does leave her wide open, emotionally. If she's not careful though, people will take advantage of her. Especially people with authority, like the ones who run the labs.

Why do you want to be a hero?

"Everyone loves heroes! If I can be one, that means they'll like me too, right? It's either that or stay in the lab forever... or worse..."

Viscosity hasn't got much of a chance at a normal life, and while more than one villain has approached her, she's always declined their offers. She wants to protect Halcyon city, make it a place where people like her can live in peace and safety. She also wants to help break the glass ceiling for biologically nonhuman people everywhere! Plus... sometimes she just wants to cut loose! It's fun to push yourself and find your limits.

How do you fight crime?

"Oh I can do lots of neat things! I'm super stretchy, and squishy, and bouncy, and I can melt stuff by changing my molecular composition... You might say my powers are, haha, fluid."

She's basically made of Flubber and bad amazing puns.

Issues and Themes
What it means to become or remain human when you aren't, and what it means to be an individual and discover your own likes and wants and needs. Making friends despite your flaws. Learning to celebrate who you are even if society shuns you. (More hopeful/dogged/determined than angsty.)

Playbooks
Newborn, Transformed, possibly Outsider?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

/
Slayn Aldrich, aka Stargazer

You ever wondered what it'd be like to go to space? To head out into the endless nothing, illuminated by stars. Seeing planets reduced to pinpricks. Moving from one galaxy to the next, meeting all sorts of strange aliens along the way.

Don't. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Who are you?

Hey mate. My name's Slayn. Let's cut right to the chase, alright? There's three things you need to know about me. First, I'm irish, that's where the name and accent comes from. I came across the pond to Halcyon 'bout a year ago. Second, no, that's not glitter. It's all stars, look. Can't fix being this dreamy. And third...yeah, I guess I am a superhero. Mostly. Kind of didn't have much choice. That's my life in a nutshell - not much choice at all. There's an old prophecy, see? Says that one day, the stars'll start going out, way ahead of schedule, and it'll be up to a child of the 'old line' to become one with them and set them right. That's us, the Aldrichs, and if you buy into that old script, that makes me the starboy who's supposed to fix everything when the time comes.

...Screw that. Who the hell wrote that hogwash? Some old fart hundreds of years ago who thought they could call the shots, run someone else's life without ever meeting them. And it's ruined everything. My dad split with Mum over it and left us. We've had to move around since I was little to duck the creeps who came looking for me. And now this starry crap is spreading all over me, like that prophecy said. "He will be one with the universe, and its signs on his body will mark the compact". But I won't let everything go to script. It's my life and my powers. I'm gonna do things my way.

Honestly, sometimes I ask myself that question too. I don't know. It's just...I know this is gonna sound funny, but it's the only time I can do things with no pressure. These powers are too big to just fool around with them at home, they blow things up by accident. But when somebody is trying to hurt the city, I don't have to hold back, and there's no one nagging me about being on a cosmic deadline. It's scary and dangerous, but it's the only time I'm really free, and that's everything I want. Besides, there's no way I could just sit back and let everything go to hell when I could step up and do something. That's not just minding your business, that's being a chicken and running away.

How do you fight crime?

Oh man, you've got no idea. Mate, these powers, they're something else. I don't just have a connection to space, I am space, or at least sometimes it really feels like it. You can't even imagine what it's like dropping meteorites from the upper atmosphere, pulling up a white hole to send bullets flying, or folding space like it's a piece of paper. It's amazing! Sometimes, when I've got my groove, it feels like I can hold the world in the palm of my hand. All I gotta do is be careful so I don't break it.

Issues and Themes

Fighting against fate, feeling bound for bigger and better things, dealing with the weight of expectations, finding joy in who you really are, no matter what others want out of you. Also, learning to wield your superpowers carefully and cosmic shenannes!

Playbooks

Nova, Doomed, Outsider

Transient People fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 25, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Olivia Wells AKA Miss Formidable

Who are you?

Seriously? You really don't know? Fine, For the record I'm Miss Formidable. daughter of Mrs Formidable, granddaughter of Mr Formidable great granddaughter of the Amazing Formidable. Five generations of heroes in the same family. From the moment I was born to the day I die that's who I'll be. I wish sometimes it could be different... But I was born a Wells that means just by existing I inherited a whole set of duties, responsibilities, friends, enemies So looks like I'm here to stay.

You know you're the first person to ask me that. Everyone always just assumed I was going to grow up to be a hero. I suppose I went along with it because it was easier, because I didn't really have a choice. I mean even if I had tried to have a normal life I don't think I would have been allowed one. You know I was kidnapped four times before I was even five years old? Different enemies of my mom hoping to use me as bait and that's before we get to the weird alien allies and people from other dimensions dropping by. I suppose I'm a hero because although I can't have a life outside of all this I can ensure that ordinary people can by stopping the people who mean to hurt them.

How do you fight crime?

I hit things really hard until they fall over. Oh and I can take a punch as well. Being trained in all sorts of martial arts since almost before I could walk by some of the best heroes around helps.

Issues and Themes
Who am I outside of my family? Can I live up to the big expectations people place on me? Can I have a normal life and still be a hero? Do I even know what normal is?

Playbooks
Legacy, Protege, Bull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alright, first off? I am absolutely floored by all the interest. I really appreciate getting the chance to read so many character pitches and, honestly, I could take any five and we'd have a great game. Unfortunately, my elfgaming capacity isn't unlimited, and some very difficult choices needed to be made. To that end, these five will make up the team moving forward:

Ma'at, played by Arashiofordo3
Dawnblade, played by Hugzilla
Reverie, played by DeTosh
Daybreak, played by Capfalcon
Viscosity, played by Mistaya

If there are any issues with player attrition, I will absolutely be looking for people in this thread to step in.

• Locked thread