Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did you guys hear about loving Lem?? Obviously all goons know about loving scy-fi abut this man wrote beyond schy-fi. How about utter failure to comprehend alien life, which is well, quite likely? Go ahead and read Solaris and Fiasco. Frankly fiasco is one of my favourite books of all time, its just so good. Its both about humanity and about aliens who don't WANT to be contacted, who refuse to be contacted and when the earth ship crew who went kind of insane, failing to understand why they don't want to see us, forced them into contact ended in utter disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I’ll have to check out fiasco, sounds like a good book.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt like him in game of thrones very much

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kuato posted:

I’ll have to check out fiasco, sounds like a good book.

Its a really fresh take on this whole contacting aliens thing. You know how in star trek or star wars aliens are happy to communicate and interact, its because in fiction we want them to interact, we want to talk, trade and poo poo. But what if they DON'T? Crew of the contact ship operates under concept that all intelligent life wants to talk to each other and they loving don't. In my opinion it is one of his best works. People praise Solaris and the praise is justified, it is good. But Fiasco less philosophical, there are less ideas it is a lesser work but it is more concise. Once you are done with it, you understand completely why it was named like this, its like a perfect little thing.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I've only read Solaris, but it was good.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Lems make good shoes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i havent read fiasco but blindsight is a novel by some other guy thats about first contact with aliens who view communication as essentially an attack, and its free on his web site

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
REQUEST for CONSENT to SPEAK, m'alien

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fiasco is an awesome novel and that's a fact and true.

One of the major themes is also human hubris and arrogance. The best and the brightest of a generation have left their lives on earth behind and set out to make mankind's greatest scientific discovery and they are not just gonna turn around midway cause the idiot aliens don't want to partake. It's probably all a misunderstanding anyway, if we push them a little bit, they gonna like it. They want this too. I need to publish SOMETHING, for fucks sake.

Also, Eden is very good. It's one of his best.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

violent sex idiot posted:

thats about first contact with aliens who view communication as essentially an attack,

So alien races have SJW's too.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Sekenr posted:

Its a really fresh take on this whole contacting aliens thing. You know how in star trek or star wars aliens are happy to communicate and interact, its because in fiction we want them to interact, we want to talk, trade and poo poo. But what if they DON'T? Crew of the contact ship operates under concept that all intelligent life wants to talk to each other and they loving don't. In my opinion it is one of his best works. People praise Solaris and the praise is justified, it is good. But Fiasco less philosophical, there are less ideas it is a lesser work but it is more concise. Once you are done with it, you understand completely why it was named like this, its like a perfect little thing.

I agree with Fiasco being more concise. A much more accessible book than Solaris. Lem can get drawn out and unrewarding if you have the wrong mindset, I find.

Top Lem book will for me always be the Futurological Congress simply for being a nauseatingly mindfucky piece.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Memoirs found in a bathtub is also real good.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

sebmojo posted:

Memoirs found in a bathtub is also real good.

give me back my memoirs old man

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jeza posted:

give me back my memoirs old man

ALSO cyberiad that owns too

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

sebmojo posted:

ALSO cyberiad that owns too

Great stories and the word play is really impressive, especially considering it was translated from polish or whatever.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

My friend gave me a copy of The Cyberiad with a nice handwritten note in the front. She's married I think three couples on a leatherbound copy she has so it was a pretty good gift

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have read nearly all of Lem and wrote my MA thesis about him. Solaris, Star Diaries (although some voyages are less interesting than others), Fiasco are probably the best, and nobody ever reads Hospital of the Transfiguration even though it's a really great story. It's about an insane asylum in occupied Poland

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lem is good, and also read Cordwainer Smith.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So alien races have SJW's too.

They have everything we have except faygo and big league chew. :munch:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone notice how Solaris is actually a rewrite of 20.000 leagues under the sea? It's got a smooth metal craft traversing an ocean, the inside of the craft has a bigass library, although unlike captain Nemo, the scientists on board can't rely on books. The visitors are representatives of non-literary media like film and grammophone. It's also got nice details nobody really notices, like how Kelvin feels seasick the first time he sets foot on the station, and how the Ocean makes him nauseous.

I want a Which Solaris Protuberance Are you? online quiz where you get like You are an Asymmetriad! You are complex and have a rich inner life, but people sometimes have trouble appreciating you for who you are. Try to open up sometimes etc

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Len is one of the finest writers of the last century and deserves a statue in every decently sized city.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WatermelonGun posted:

Len is one of the finest writers of the last century and deserves a statue in every decently sized city.

Really? The only really popular thing they wrote was Steal My Sunshine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

Len is also one of the greatest bands of the 90's.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
hehehehe stole my sunchine

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I quite like the Futurological Congress

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

I have read nearly all of Lem and wrote my MA thesis about him. Solaris, Star Diaries (although some voyages are less interesting than others), Fiasco are probably the best, and nobody ever reads Hospital of the Transfiguration even though it's a really great story. It's about an insane asylum in occupied Poland

The long start diary about the insane body shapers where Tichy gets fake testicles glued all over him by religious steam robots is incredible

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Only seen the Tarkovsky film, think I bought the book for like $2 but never read it

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I just started Fiasco. It's awesome so far, but it has mechs lol. Did Fiasco predate mech anime? I guess I can do some googling and figure that out.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

The long start diary about the insane body shapers where Tichy gets fake testicles glued all over him by religious steam robots is incredible

Yeah, that's the one i love the most, with the agony-pleasure jouissance machine at the end

His Master's Voice is really good, i think the title is a reference to Kafka's story Investigations of a Dog, which has a similar premise, via the HMV dog grammophone logo

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i have repeatedly got him confused with stanislaw ulam and wondered why nobody carries any of his books only to realise my mistake while on the brink of sleep that very night. this has occurred more than 5 times now

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lem is good, and also read Cordwainer Smith.

I'm completely unfamiliar with this dude, what are the heaters

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The thing about Fiasco is that the main character maybe had it good in some sense. Imagine your embarrassment returning back to Earth where humanity eagerly awaits your tales of wondrous alien civilization and you just go "uhhh, hehe, you know what? Funny story - there isn't an alien civilization there anymore, welp"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
gently caress Stanislaw Lem is so good. I have two copies of the Cyberiad (one to read and one to loan out to literally anyone who seems like they might be slightly interested).

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I read Memoirs Found in a Bathtub when I when I was still practically a fetus and I think it broke my tiny brain a little. I've always meant to read it as an adult to see if it's really as weird as I remember it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Frankenstyle posted:

I read Memoirs Found in a Bathtub when I when I was still practically a fetus and I think it broke my tiny brain a little. I've always meant to read it as an adult to see if it's really as weird as I remember it.

It totally is.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i read solaris

it was amazing

i actually tried to watch the movie, like not knowing much about it

i couldnt get through the movie :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gently caress ive read a good portion of the hugo/nebula award winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Tarkovsky movie is alright but I don't love it, the ocean isn't really properly depicted although there's a bit where Kelvin looks out a porthole and just sees darkness (echoing the appearance of a black horse earlier in the movie) that i think is a good substitute. The ending misses the point though and they turned Gibarian's visitor into a kind of cliched little girl, although Sartorius' visitor gets a good actor.

Here's the first Russian movie that nobody seems to have watched, like a lot of Soviet movies it's more like a stage performance set on film with cheap decor, but it's pretty faithful to the novel, although of course they couldn't actually show the ocean in this one either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tnAyARsmA

I think there've been several stage performances as well but I've never watched any of them.

• Locked thread