Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Durion of Mirkwood
Hope: 11/11 Endurance: 25/25 Fatigue: 13 Shadow: 0

Durian climbs atop the wagon the goblins had previously been coming over only to see the remaining horde flee. He casually looses an arrow after the retreating fiends but more as a warning than actually trying to strike a final goblin down.

He leaps down, shouldering his bow, and strides to Branstala. He stops beside her and scans the outskirts of the camp with her in case any threat decides to reveal itself.

“I am glad we have all gotten though this night relatively unscathed. You, I knew could handle yourself in the face of such beasts. It is good to know our companions can as well.”

He glances over at Folca and Flora to see the Rohhirim coughing and sputtering over the shared pipe while the hobbit looks on and laughs.

“Looking at them now you would not think they could face down charging orcs.” He shakes his head, “I hope tonight wasn’t an illusion.”

After a moment he turns and beckons to Branstala, “Come; I know you can see to a wound, I’ll assist you in tending to our new friends.”

Gonna take a point of Hope from the pool and one for my focus.

Branstala has a better Heal than me so if you’d like us to actually role to help heal the Beornings I’d like to try to assist if possible.

pre:
Personality: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Movement:    [ ] [ ] [ ]
Perception:  [ ] [ ] [ ]
Survival:    [X] [ ] [ ]
Custom:      [ ] [ ] [ ]
Vocation:    [ ] [ ] [ ]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Branstala, Lake-Woman and Bowwoman of the Guild

Branstala rises and accompanies Durion to the wounded. She is no master of chirurgery or medicine, but she certainly has stitched her own wounds and set a bone or two in her time. What help she can give the survivors of the goblin onslaught she will gladly provide.

I'm assuming this is more of a narrative/non-mechanical situation. But If I should roll anything, let me know!

edit: Rolling!
Healing TN 12 w/Durion's help: 2#1d6 5 1 2#1d12 6 8

Even with the lower roll from Durion's help, I made TN 12 (though I'll take the 8 anyway!).

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 28, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

While Folca and Flora are bonding, Branstala and Durion tend to the wounded Beornlings. After applying bandages and healing herbs to the wounded, they seem in much better spirits. Iwgar's wound still has green tinges to it, but he insists he's fine to travel. In the meantime, Dinodas has started making tea and has broken out a pack of biscuits, still looking tired but also appearing much more at home busying himself over the niceties of hospitality. He takes out a few mugs, sheepishly adding, "Looks like we'll have to share. Didn't expect to have so many guests, much less rescuers." He cheers up as he continues, "Of course, when we get back to the inn, I'll have quite the feast prepared for the lot of you, that I promise."

The other Beornlings have finished fixing the wheel on the cart and soon enough the cart is moving back down the mountain trail towards Wilderlands.

So, for the journey back, who is taking roles? Since the Beornlings are all feeling better, the guide and lookouts get to take +2 on their rolls from their help.

For the record:
Guide: Uses Travel to make sure you actually get from Point A to Point B. There can be only one and it is the most likely to have to make checks during travel.
Huntsmen: Uses hunting to find food in the wild. Rations aren't formally tracked, but catching fresh food will boost spirits. Also, if other roles do poorly, you might need more food than you planned. As many people as you want can be a huntsman.
Scouts: Uses Explore to find good places to camp and discover trails to make travel easier. As many people as you want can be a scout.
Lookout-Men: Uses Awareness to prevent the party from being surprised in the wilds. As many people as you want can be a lookout.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Folca the Listener
Hope: 11 / 12
Shadow: 0 / 0

Folca will be mounted on his horse-friend, trotting along in front of the caravan, keeping his eyes and ears open for any potential intruders or pursuers trailing them down the mountain. His hand never ventures far from his sword hilt as he rides.

Awareness (Lookout): 1d12+2d6+2 12
Extra Dice: 1d6 3
Total Awareness: 15
Here is my awareness roll, I'll take the Guide position. I have Keen Eyes as a trait, and I'll spend a point of Hope if I need it.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 25, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Flora Whitfoot, Hobbit of the Shire
Endurance: 19/21 Fatigue: 11 Hope: 17/17

Flora is content mostly to stick with the group, though she'll take a peek ahead if needed.

Scout (Explore): 1#1d12 2 2#1d6 3 1

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fellowship: 4+1
Guide: Branstala
Scout: Flora
Huntsman: Durion
Lookout-man: Folca

After Dinodas' makeshift breakfast, the fellowship and their rescued companions set out down the trail towards the Wilderlands. The sheer walls of the pass seem hewn from the mountain itself, and moving the cart down the broken road is rough going. It's easy to see how they broke a wheel while moving along this path. The Beornings walk with you, as Dinodas rides in the cart and guides the pony. The Beornings seem most interested in Focla, as they've only heard stories of the horse people far to the south. Isbold, the youngest of them, peppers Folca with questions, such as "Is it true there are no trees that far south?" and "I've heard the horse people never leave their saddles, even to sleep. Is it true you can sleep while you ride?" Meanwhile, Durion, Iwgar, the eldest, seems more curious about your presence in the party, saying, "By my experience, it is not the custom of elves from Mirkwood to travel beyond its borders, and especially with such a far flung party. Why do you travel with them?" Branstala and Flora, Dinodas talks to you over the clatter of the wheels on the stones and the rattling of everything in the cart bouncing up and down, saying, "Always a pleasure coming across nice folk like yourselves out here, even if you're an uncommon lot." He adds, eyeing Branstala's bow, "A bit big for hunting. Why do you carry a piece of war gear like that around on your travels? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Looks like it turned out pretty handy."

The first night of travel finds you still in the pass, but thankfully there are no signs of the goblins following you. As the group settles in for the night and Folca starts his watch, an unseasonable chill descends, and a light mist starts to cloud the pass. The others have passed on to sleep, but you've got a sense of unease. Something isn't right around here.

So, Folca, using your awareness check, you're just short. Everyone can roll lore to gain bonus dice for the trip, with each success giving a bonus die on the travel, so roll that first, Folca, before you spend hope.

Currently, the Fellowship is going to need to make two fatigue checks. One to get to the ford and another to get back to the inn.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Durion of Mirkwood
Hope: 11/11 Endurance: 25/25 Fatigue: 13 Shadow: 0

Durion is a little surprised when the Beorning approaches him.

"It is true that my people would rather hide away in the forest. I am not so content with that existence. All my life I have heard tales of the forest of old, of our old home before it was taken by the Shadow," his eyes harden a bit, thinking back to his final petition to the Elvenking to strike back at Dol Guldur.

"I would see this forest return to its former glory, yet I am but one Elf. If I cannot do that, I have vowed to do my best to at least make it a little safer for all goodly folk."

He nods to his companions, "Some of my friends are lucky enough to have not lost anything or anyone to the Shadow. Some of my friends have, though there is still hope that it is not a permanent loss. I aim to help them keep that luck, and find that hope."

Lore Roll: 1d12+3d6 16 Got a Tengwar rune on this roll as well.
pre:
Personality: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Movement:    [ ] [ ] [ ]
Perception:  [ ] [ ] [ ]
Survival:    [X] [ ] [ ]
Custom:      [ ] [ ] [ ]
Vocation:    [ ] [ ] [ ]

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fellowship: 4+1

Lore Dice:
Durion: 1
Folca: 0
Flora: ?
Branstala: ?

That afternoon

Nodding, Iwgar says, “It’s true that there a shadow is growing deep in the woods, but it is hard to convince others of our clan to agree to ventures to root it out when there is food aplenty and ever more fineries from distant lands flowing along our river.” He shakes his head, saying, “Perhaps things must get worse before they get better.”

As some of the company sleep soundly (and others less so) as the dense fog settles across the ground, Folca’s eyes glint with awareness in the firelight. When Folca moves to stoke the fire as fog starts to choke it, the sudden spark of light reveals a shadow cast by no form, which is slinking along the ground towards the wagons like nothing more than an ink dribbling down a sloppily written note.

What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Flora Whitfoot, Hobbit of the Shire
Endurance: 19/21 Fatigue: 11 Hope: 17/17

Flora is sleeping soundly indeed!

I rolled my Lore check previously, just didn't link it. I'm guessing an 11 was a miss, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Folca the Listener
Hope: 11 / 12
Shadow: 0 / 0

Folca watches the shadow creep along the ground from the corner of his eye. He slowly reaches around to a torch and lights it on the fire, as though still stoking it, before he tries to throw the torch into the Shadow! Jumping up sword in hand to confront whatever thing has come into the camp!

He gives a sharp whistle, barking out, "Begone shadow, lest you find your end this night!"