Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo I rermmber when Iw as young I had these books that taught you about computers and it mentioned EPROMs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM

erasable programmable read only memory

so thats a window at the top and if yo shine UV light on it, it erases it

ok firstly that was 1971 how the gently caress did they make those small wires work??

also the concept of "programming" a chip is beyond my udneratsnaing. like a FPGA. dont get that poo poo. but I belive that it exists

apparently later on,the concept stayed BUT

like they kept them coverd up so they couldnt be erased.

appareyly some BIOS used to be these things. imagein just being able to shine light on ya bios and it resets. this is the future liberals demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"do not open computer in the light, you will erase it"

and with that, seven year old me learned about eproms

also the unisys icon computer taught me about saying ep

good vhs tapes let you record ep video for six hours

seven-inch vinyl ep records were great for bands with more songs than fit on a 45 but who couldn't throw together a whole album

truly it was the golden age of ep

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This got me googling 1971 computer videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00AULJLCNo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It actually takes quite a lot of UV exposure to erase an EPROM, you don't have to worry unless you leave your open computer exposed to direct sunlight. Regular indoor lighting shouldn't hurt it.

The modern style of EPROM without a window is the EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read only memory)
It's truly a marvel of technology.

I bought a bunch of equipment so I could fail to build a RC2014 DIY z80 computer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I had an Atari vcs cart with zif slots so you could change out for a number of bootleg EPROMs I had

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do you program one

pram
Jun 10, 2001
never op

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

very carefully

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

wish i could use uv light to erase your posts, op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

will you go with me to the eprom

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

echinopsis posted:

how do you program one

you blow it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey mate nice thread do you and the other tech have a little giggle whenever you dispense an up-the-butt medication to a customer?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

hey mate nice thread do you and the other tech have a little giggle whenever you dispense an up-the-butt medication to a customer?

nah I just respect them even more

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i love eprom programmers and the super sketchy chinese software that you run to use them

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I never began, OP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

e-prometheus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eep! rom

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

akadajet posted:

i love eprom programmers and the super sketchy chinese software that you run to use them

love how they think everyone still has 640x480 monitors so they cram 50 different controls into the tiniest window possible

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Did anyone say eep the cat yet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

how do you program one

for an EPROM, you drive the address and data lines and then pulse one of the control lines with a higher voltage for a certain length of time

some EPROMs support a fast program mode where you can hold that voltage high, change the address and data lines, and then pulse another line to write the data

fun fact: back in the day, a lot of EPROM and SRAM ICs had the same pinouts so you could develop on a system with a 6264 SRAM, and deploy on an otherwise identical system with a 2764 EPROM (or equivalent mask ROM) once your code was done

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also it turns out long term low level UV exposure can gently caress with EPROMs, sometimes an old computer kept in “less than ideal conditions” can need a ROM re-burned because of this

one terrible thing that also happens is that people scavenge EPROMs from equipment and don’t archive their original contents, this is probably what happened to the declaration ROM on a National Semiconductor 8/16 RAMdisk card I picked up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

no

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did speaks-n-spell have these?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

no, they use mask ROMs (annoying ones too). you don't really find [E]EPROMs in many consumer products because mask ROMs are cheaper in large quantities

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i used to operate a die casting machine that had a set of swappable eproms. it was a piece of junk. thanks for reading my post guys.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

i used to operate a die casting machine that had a set of swappable eproms. it was a piece of junk. thanks for reading my post guys.

Did the eproms teach you everything you know about posting?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it was a very formative time, yes.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Early Siemens addressable fire panels had the database stored in an EPROM, learned all about it when a client requested some changes to their building about 3 years ago. Siemens had to call a bunch of guys that retired/moved on and then track down some ancient computers and chip programmers strewn about their office. It was apparently common enough to reprogram them in the field, but since the chip in the panel was the only copy of that database in existence they took the whole thing back to the office so as not to gently caress it up.

I think the client got a warning too, something along the lines of "this is the last time we're doing this, you need to upgrade your panel next time".

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also, lots of zinc fumes to inhale. :doggo:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweevo posted:

love how they think everyone still has 640x480 monitors so they cram 50 different controls into the tiniest window possible

i've been modernizing some old legacy software at work that's designed this way and it's pretty lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Did anyone say eep the cat yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWEHDJwdTE&hd=1

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

almost thirty years op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx8qeBHYmyI

one of the first games to run 'hall effect' 16-way joysticks over the usual 8-way microswitch jobs.

also the sound guy was obviously the fellow from Gauntlet on his lunch break.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Behold :worship:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

are you at the museum for Vintage Computer Festival West?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

are you at the museum for Vintage Computer Festival West?

Yah check the pics thread

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thanx 4 the roms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I haven't touched an eprom since I started touching urmom

• Locked thread