Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
A no fun allowed lore nerd who doesn't like Lizardmen in the first place. It makes me want to play a skink just to spite them.

I mean, I wanted to anyways, but now also because of spite. For a book that spends so much time tossing out adventure hooks wherever it can--to the point that there's a specialized sidebar box format for HEY HERE'S A HOOK FOR YOU, it's bizarre that they actively reject this giant rich vein of possibilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's a funny contrast with the ogre section, which is like "yeah they're too dumb to do anything but eat and we didn't even try to make them balanced in combat but you can have fun with them anyway, get creative"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

it's a funny contrast with the ogre section, which is like "yeah they're too dumb to do anything but eat and we didn't even try to make them balanced in combat but you can have fun with them anyway, get creative"

Back when I ran a 2E campaign, a friend of mine played an ogre. He lives pretty far and so only played once every few months, so it was hilarious having him as kind of a 'guest star' PC that would turn up every now and then and just be overpowered as all hell in combat but dumber than a bag of rocks when it came to literally anything else. The other players all loved this as an occasional break from the norm.

I don't know if I could've had an ogre in a regular party, though. But hey, it's the GM's job to sometimes break the rules and do whatever the group finds fun.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I've been playing an ogre in an Enemy Within campaign because the entire party was pathetic in combat and the GM brought me in as a ringer after the first combat encounter ended with more than half the party nursing broken bones. It's been fun being a giant oaf and accidentally on purpose causing problems but we're starting Power Behind The Throne now and I've been informed by the GM that this book contains No Combat so Geg will be spending the next several months lost in the woods while I play a backup who can read.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

cock hero flux posted:

Trying to balance ogres would ruin the fun of being an ogre, I think.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Fundamentally, balancing Ogres involves nerfing their Weapon Skill, which would make them a lot less fun to play and doesn’t model their historical stats terribly well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looks like a bunch of books got their files updated this week, but not the "last updated" date inside them, so I'm not sure if anything changed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Does any one have any ideas for a good initial hook for Rough Night at the Three Feathers?

This will have mild spoilers for the module in question:

I'm gearing up to run RNaTF in a couple days as the final module in my short run of WFRP 4e one-shots. (I ran Night of Blood, Bait and Witch, Slaughter in Spittlefield and now RNaTF to testdrive the system.)

It's an interesting adventure and I look forward to running it, but just based on reading it, I have an issue with its structure - why are the players supposed to actually *care* about all the NPC stuff in the first few hours of the game before the main plot actually hits off?

Here's what I think the first few hours of both the in-game timeline and the actual session would look like from the players' perspective:

"Okay we've arrived at an inn. Seems normal enough, nothing out of the ordinary seems to be happening. Yeah, we'll probably have a meal, chill a bit and go to bed- Oh wait, the GM is doing a real-time blow-by-blow of the whole evening for some reason, even though this would normally be the time to briefly summarize the rest of the evening and transition to either something interesting happening or just the next day. Buuuut it's all just random comings and going of all the different NPCs that we've been given no reason to care about or pay attention to so far? Um, I guess we'll humor the GM and start awkwardly poking around until something happens or it all starts making sense."

Now there are many proactive, improv-happy players who can make their own fun for a few hours and will have zero issues with this, but most of my players across my groups are a little more awkward than that, and some explicit motivation and reason to pay attention to and interact with the NPC cast would be nice.

This is not an issue for the subsequent adventures in the Rough Nights book - they're usually there to provide security for the Gravin now that they've solved problems for her previously and they have a pretty good reason to nervously look around and wait for the roughly seven things to go horribly wrong at the same time. (The woman's cursed, I tells ya! But she pays *so well*.) This is not the case for this adventure.

I listened to some Actual Plays to see how other GMs handled this aspect of the module and here are my conclusions: One, there are surprisingly few AP playthroughs of this classic module and they're all a bit rough, tbh. Two, in most of them it goes more or less as I've described, but they have the benefit of introducing this module in the middle of their ongoing campaigns, which makes it easier for them to fill the time. Three, one of the playthroughs specifically starts with the Gravin hiring them as security because she fears an assassination attempt, which certainly does the trick, but changes the flow of the adventure more than I'd prefer.

So here's the question/request I have for you:

What kind of a hook beyond "oh you've just stopped for the night at an inn" would you introduce to encourage the players to interact with the sandbox more? I'll give you the one idea I came up with so far, but I'll spoiler it to not prejudice you.

An accomplice of the assassin/her employers has hired the PCs to show off these fancy daggers with really distinctive handles at this inn. The PCs think they're helping a smithy with some guerilla marketing because there will be some important personages incognito; in actuality they're being set up as obvious patsies so that the assassin might have time to get away. She might not even need to steal one of their daggers, it's plausible they had one extra, since they're so distinctive!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Planning to actually run this in person. Anyone know of a convenient NPC sheet template I can put the monsters and NPCs on for quick reference?

As for Rough Night, I would have them do an adventure before that makes one of the notable people like them and invite them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Next books is out a Greenskin focused book Tribes and Tribluations.

https://cubicle7games.com/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-tribes-and-tribulations

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ah, finally!

...something weird must have been going on with their license, given that you can outright buy this in PDF today, whereas books that were announced a year ago still can't.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Perhaps this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/warhammerfantasyrpg/comments/19bfur5/cubicle_7_announces_a_new_rpg_based_on_the_old/

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

:confused: really not sure why this needs to be another new game instead of of a bunch of sourcebooks for playing in that time period

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

Ah, finally!

...something weird must have been going on with their license, given that you can outright buy this in PDF today, whereas books that were announced a year ago still can't.

I think you can get PDF's for all current WFRP books. Anyway they said it supposed to be the first many for this year.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 25, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think you can get PDF's for all current WFRP books. Anyway they said it supposed to be the first many for this year.

My confusion was more that it's apparently ready before other books that were announced way sooner, but it's publishing, so I could honestly think of a dozen explanations.

Also, yeah, wow, extremely confused as to why they would want a separate RPG for a different time period, although I kind of don't want to say that for fear that the licensor will hear me and decide to cancel the one I actually like.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's because GW killed WFB in favour of Age of Sigmar, then decided to bring WFB back in the form of The Old World, and then contracted Cubicle 7 to make an RPG for The Old World as a way of promoting it, I would assume. While it would be a lot easier and straightforward to just make a sourcebook for the old world that doesn't have the branding that GW would want

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are rumours it will be cross compatible and serve as a semi edition update.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, I read Tribes and Tribulations and, while it's not exactly badly put together, it's just... kind of boring? My impression is that it's boring because Warhammer Fantasy orcs are just not allowed to be wacky and gonzo like 40K and Age of Sigmar orks, and so they're just kind of... there. They don't really add anything to the mix that basic Tolkien orcs don't have, and as a result they probably didn't merit their own book.

(I don't really disagree with the take on it, though, because Warhammer Fantasy doesn't really need another wacky race on top of the Skaven, because it would really disrupt the tone.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

where's the rogue book already? my coachman just had to change careers because he got fired and it would have been nice if I'd had more options to pick from

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I asked in the Old World thread and people said there were dwarf and elf books in the making, too, but I have no idea where they're getting their information from, because it sure isn't C7's website.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

I asked in the Old World thread and people said there were dwarf and elf books in the making, too, but I have no idea where they're getting their information from, because it sure isn't C7's website.

The discord the devs post in. Rogue books is as far as we know any day, as it was expected before Tribes and Tribulations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I read Tribes and Tribulations and, while it's not exactly badly put together, it's just... kind of boring? My impression is that it's boring because Warhammer Fantasy orcs are just not allowed to be wacky and gonzo like 40K and Age of Sigmar orks, and so they're just kind of... there. They don't really add anything to the mix that basic Tolkien orcs don't have, and as a result they probably didn't merit their own book.

(I don't really disagree with the take on it, though, because Warhammer Fantasy doesn't really need another wacky race on top of the Skaven, because it would really disrupt the tone.)

I find this weird to be honest. Most of the wackiness is in the goblins rather than the orcs - but with things like the Bat Winged Loony Lobbers (doom divers) and the ball and chain fanatics, plus the drugs and araknarok spiders and even Snotling Pump Wagons there's plenty of wacky and gonzo in Warhammer Fantasy greenskins. And that's not even getting in to Blood Bowl. Plus the Waaaghhhs and animosity.

That said the orcs themselves were originally a parody of something that's disappeared.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh the Starter Set for the RPG is being sold on the GW store proper now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Blood Bowl got some Gnomes, hope that cements them in WFRP for the nay sayers.