Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, you can stream it live from their website in-region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Preview for next week spoilers I feel like this swap is at the worst possible time. Either it should have been 2 eliminations earlier or the producers should have just let the contenders destroy themselves all the way to the merge

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I like the longer episodes and extra development and everything on this show... but I feel like they stepped back from a lot of what made last season so fun. Casting all these team-minded "champions" is going to make for some dull poo poo, and it's been way too long without a swap or a merge too. It's getting pretty stale at this point. The producers also got so absurdly lucky with that exile twist, sending Tegan right back to the same tribe that voted her out. 90% of the time it'd just be a revolving door, wouldn't you think?

Benji, oh my god. Good villain, such an arrogant "strategist" player and boy did he just flail pathetically when his lie got called out. Even Benji's (successful) pitch to Shonee was also a joke, like, "We don't talk at all but your friend is against you." He was pretty lucky they bit on that and I don't understand how it took so long for that to get exposed, like, that's gotta be a knock against Heath that he never got the women to tell him why they did it, so he could reveal the truth.

I don't want to sound like a massive Benji hater though because good on him for playing the game, and for finding that clue. Hopefully some other people step up. The other "gamer" in the season seems to be Jackie and why would you come into the game with the lie that you're a puzzle master when you're not? You're just setting yourself up to be put into the puzzle role at the end of the challenge and then let the whole team down, which is exactly what she did. Hopefully some other good players emerge. That Mat Rogers guy is just dominating things athletically and socially though, I guess he's been impressive so far.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 23, 2018

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think it's easy to blame the meh casting on the Champions because that's what everyone expected pre-season, but I don't think the Contenders casting is any better. I guess technically they're more strategy-oriented on the whole (just barely) but none of them pop as characters in the way that so much of last season's cast did.

If anything there are more Champions I'm interested in than Contenders at this point (Samuel, Shane, Brian, and Jackie are all sort of interesting vs. uh.... maybe Benji? maybe Tegan??). It doesn't help that two of the more interesting characters on the Contenders side (Steve and Anita) got cut early.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a fine season. But it would be pretty hard to match the cast of the last season of Australian Survivor. That cast could easily be in the top 10 of casts if it was lumped in with the US Survivors.

Unfortunately, they did the dumb thing of having a bunch of physical challenges while splitting the tribes up with Champions and Contenders, where most of the Champions are world class athletes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That would have been real bad if Tegan got saved again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ep. 17: Holy moly that Tribal Council. Benji is a god. :worship:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

less laughter posted:

Ep. 17: Holy moly that Tribal Council. Benji is a god. :worship:

Yeah, holy poo poo man. I haven't been the biggest Benji fan this season. A bit too much unjustified self-hype, but he played the poo poo out of that and totally laid the mind-whamy. Bad on Mat for not playing his idol. Those shenanigans should have been red-flags like crazy.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

holy poo poo what a tribal council, can't believe Mat didn't play his idol after getting his blocked like that

I'm rooting pretty hard for Benji now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mat had an extremely dominant stretch. Very impressive player but he controlled things too much, and probably started losing at the Lydia boot. (I think they were worried not only about her physical ability but also that Lydia was too close to the Contender boys.)

Benji is an absolute legend. Finally he backs up his talk and now he’s a Luke/AK/Phoebe level Aussie Survivor legend. Even if his move was too much. Like even at the time I’m thinking maybe just play your idol on Brian dude, this move is too big. But that’s what made one of the best TCs ever, so...

He did a crap job on the challenge teams pick, taking Steve over Brian, when Brian is a better competitor too. And he lied too much of course, when he tried to tell Brian that Sharon was voting him haha. It sucks how he went out with the vote steal technicality, but (obviously easier to say in hindsight) both he and Mat should have played their idols.

Looks like the game is back into groups, eh? 2-2-3 with Shane Sharn and Steve being the 3 that needs to be targeted now. Expert flipping by Brian and Monika.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 19, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Too bad Sam had to go, he was good at confessionals even or especially when he was wrong.
Benji with the Jedi mind trick was as the Aussies say, awesome. And Jonathan is great at stirring up TC, going at it with everyone and anyone.

Fast Luck posted:

Looks like the game is back into groups, eh? 2-2-3 with Shane Sharn and Steve being the 3 that needs to be targeted now. Expert flipping by Brian and Monika.
And expect smiles and fun from Fenella. She has a great strategy (?) of agreeing and going along with whoever is talking to her at the moment.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

so this ended. Solid season I guess.

I was really rooting for Shonee and Brian because I didn't love the majority champions alliance... Brian wasn't going to turn on them until Benji got the intel that they were literally going to vote Brian off, and yet they still kept carrying on about how Brian was such a dirty player, unlike them. And that's after they backstabbed Lydia and then voted out Sam for the "disloyalty" of actually being loyal enough to give Lydia a heads up that she might need to talk to some people. And then we had to watch Mat's being self-righteous during all the TCs after that. Then Sharn loyally takes an Australian icon instead of a goat to the finals heh.

Considering that, pretty funny that Sharn got tripped up by a loyalty question. I don't really agree with the accusation, because she was gonna play an idol on Mat which shows she was still loyal to him. Her loyalty never wavered, just her gameplay had a slight lapse in not talking to Mat about some whispers she'd heard. But I didn't like how Sharn's strategic pitches were always like, "You don't understand, Brian said he's going to vote out me and Shane next!" It just made her seem kind of entitled... even at FTC, when she was defending herself, she goes on about all the other parts of her game, but then pleads, "Please don't let one mistake ruin this for me." Like, not please don't let one mistake change how you vote, or how you think of me. But please don't let one mistake ruin this for me, like it's hers. So I guess I was sorta glad to see Shane beat her, even though Shane's game wasn't much.

I think Shonee fouled up when she voted out Monika instead of Shane... a F4 of Monika/Brian/Shonee/Sharn would've been pretty good for her. Brian and Sharn would want to target each other if they were vulnerable, and Shonee could go with that and then be at F3 with a chance at immunity, or at F4 Shonee would also have the option of joining Sharn to vote Monika, who would never win a challenge or succeed at making fire, in which case Shonee would be sitting perfectly in the middle of Brian and Sharn at the F3. Ah w ell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

^pretty much my thoughts

wouldn't be surprised if half the jury asked Mat who they should vote for

• Locked thread