Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My entire career has been me looking for jobs in postings or working with recruiters, applying, interviewing, working, and moving on for whatever reason. I've always had jobs through this method, but I always balanced the positions I was offered on their own merits and decided accordingly. Some offers I turned down after going through the process, some places I couldn't do the commute to and didn't pursue the job, other offers I tried to negotiate and didn't go with, and the ones I took were the ones I took.

I'm in a job-search working group with a friend and some other people, with the objective being that we go through our networks, expand them, and try to work our way to get into introductions with hiring managers for the places we'd love to work, and asking their thoughts about the companies, their departments, etc. The logic here is that if there's ever a position being considered, you might stand out in their minds and get the heads-up, or you at least have a network in place for a referral if you don't have that direct contact.

What I've never really faced - and this is going to sound pretty goonish - is looking for a job that I would like to do. I've come up the IT food chain and am a senior sysadmin. I've got a pretty strong array of Microsoft certs with a VMware Certified Professional cert (expired, but I can hit the books and get the newer version) and lots of experience. I interview well. I think I can do the networking thing with the help of the group. But the thing here is that I have no jobs or companies that I'd really love to work for.

What I've done recently was just go geographically - I live in northern NJ and presently work in Manhattan, so I tried going down the tenant lists of a few buildings near commute hubs, but all that produced was long-rear end lists that I then have to figure out if they even have an IT infrastructure worth needing an engineer or senior sysadmin. Then I gotta see if I know people, or reach out through the network, etc.

This might get moved to BFC but I figured I should start here. What methodology should I use to look for a job I'd love? As far as I can tell, I'm best set at looking through Inc's list of top companies to work for (or other media organizations) and then cross-checking their Glassdoor pages for the NYC area to get an idea. I'd take Glassdoor with a grain of salt, whether positive or negative, but I am fully open to ideas and suggestions on how to conduct this search.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Ask in the Oldie Advice thread in "Serious Hardware/Software Crap" forum.

• Locked thread