Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schmug
May 20, 2007

Pretty much this. When you are almost upset they cut someone(s) then they must be moving in the right direction. Right?

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQreYmaeK9s&t=104s

And is it me, or does Todd Haley look like he knows something we don't? Like what week he will be made head coach. Browns open 1-3, Hue gone.

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

schmug posted:

And is it me, or does Todd Haley look like he knows something we don't? Like what week he will be made head coach. Browns open 1-3, Hue gone.

This is exactly how I expect it to go. I thought we had an early bye week again (we've always had early bye weeks), but it's actually week 11... and there is no way Hue makes it 10 weeks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yeah I don’t think Haley took the job because he wanted to work for Hue. I imagine he was given a promise to get the head coaching spot when Hue gets fired.

Which won’t happen because 16-0 is real.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Best Hard Knocks since the Jets season, IMO

schmug
May 20, 2007

I was wondering how this one stacked up. Outside of a few episodes in years past it never really interested me. Until this year because Browns.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think I'd put this season around the middle. Bucs, Ravens and Jets were better imo, but there are plenty that were worse too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
How is Myles Garret such a chill, well rounded dude after Texas A&M, going 1st overall, and the horror of the 2017 Cleveland Browns?

Its genuinely amazing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How is Myles Garret such a chill, well rounded dude after Texas A&M, going 1st overall, and the horror of the 2017 Cleveland Browns?

Its genuinely amazing.

Yeah one of my biggest takeaways from the show is that Myles Garrett is cool as hell and basically the best part of that entire team. David Njoku is pretty cool too, but Garrett has this thoughtfulness that you don't see that much in the NFL. He also clearly is not super impressed with the coaching staff, especially Gregg Williams. And he's right

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Play posted:

I think I'd put this season around the middle. Bucs, Ravens and Jets were better imo, but there are plenty that were worse too

I couldn't deal with the Bucs just because it was 50% Jameis on the screen and he's inherently abrasive to watch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So what happened to Kendricks? got caught up chasing Nassib’s advice?

Would be totally cool with the Fins giving Orchard and Cajuste a kick of the old tires

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 6, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

So what happened to Kendricks? got caught up chasing Nassib’s advice?

Actually he was way out ahead of it lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rsjr posted:

His dad is dying and he’s getting cut in the same week. Quote me when it comes true.

pretty close imo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I liked Hue telling BY FAR the best QB on his team that he's "earned" the right to be the backup. Never change Browns.

I enjoyed him ending a pep talk with “We’re the Browns!!!!”

That’s like something I might say to fire up my softball team, but not as a positive. “Clean that poo poo up! What are we, the Browns?”

Myles Garrett definitely comes across as just an amazing person throughout the show. Hope he has a cool and good career and it’s kind of a shame he’s gone into a sport that destroys your mind and body by your early 30s if you’re lucky.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Myles Garrett definitely comes across as just an amazing person throughout the show. Hope he has a cool and good career and it’s kind of a shame he’s gone into a sport that destroys your mind and body by your early 30s if you’re lucky.

The best this last episode was him asking Nate Orchard(who we cut) why he doesn't use the same stance against the run and the pass. Garret asked him what he does when he picks the wrong stance and Orchard says "I may be a little slower" Garret rolls his eyes in the biggest WTF face and says, "son, we only have 2.5 seconds".

I'm sure I paraphrased a little, but this guy gets "it".

Like how did Orchard get through three years on this team and no one noticed it? I know he was hurt the one year, but christ! And how did a scout not notice this before we drafted him?!?!?!

Pretty much sums up this team the past few years...

*And yes I know players have different stances for different packages, but that's not what this was about.*

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 6, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

In general, as someone else mentioned, the best clips were the one where a veteran does some one on one work with a younger guy. In this last episode, it was crazy watching Garrett play an O lineman (he looked like he knew what he was doing, knew exactly how O linemen react to certain things, etc.) and giving Orchard some tips. Darren Fells teaching Cajuste the principles of blocking. Landry and Calloway watching film and mumbling in strange receiver jargon. Those were my favorite clips.

For Orchard, he's undersized for the position and he's also a bad fit for a 4-3 defense. He's interesting as a change of pace edge rusher but that's pretty much it.

Another thing to remember is that because of the new kickoff/punt rules, teams are probably keeping more guys with speed (receivers, running backs, DBs, linebackers, etc.) than bigger guys.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Another big thing is the Browns had first choice in the waiver wire; other teams might've kept those guys but the Browns were targeting some players from other teams.

quote:

There has been some agitation about the players that the Cleveland Browns released to complete their 53-man roster. The focus was primarily on those thrown into the spotlight of HBO's 'Hard Knocks' including defensive ends Carl Nassib and Nate Orchard as well as tight end Devon Cajuste.

A handful of the players that Cleveland parted with were immediately claimed on waivers by other teams. However, it should be noted that those added by the Browns were also coveted by other teams. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted that four teams put in waiver claims for former Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Carl Davis. The Browns had waiver priority over the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Chargers. No other player had more waiver claims than Davis. Cleveland was first in line during the waiver claim period because they finished with the worst record in the league a year ago.

The second most coveted player on waivers was outside linebacker Tanner Vallejo of the Buffalo Bills. Cleveland landed him over waiver claims from the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins. Cleveland immediately waived outside linebacker Jermaine Grace to make room for Vallejo. There are currently only six linebackers on the roster: Christian Kirksey, Jamie Collins, Joe Schobert, James Burgess, Genard Avery and Vallejo.

Two other players had three waiver claims: defensive tackle T.Y. McGill (Chargers) and defensive end Mario Edwards (New York Giants). McGill spent the 2017 season in northeast Ohio.

Only the Giants submitted more waiver claims (six) than Cleveland.

During an appearance on Cleveland Browns Daily, General Manager John Dorsey revealed that other teams had approached the New Orleans Saints about a trade for defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence. It was the Browns granted the right to trade for the defensive lineman because the Saints wanted to get him out of the NFC. Lawrence is one of four defensive tackles on the roster along with Trevon Coley, Larry Ogunjobi and Davis.

Dorsey also said that five or six teams were interested in signing offensive guard Earl Watford before Cleveland. It was important for the Browns to get him in for a visit first and sign him to the 53-man roster. Watford did make the roster. Austin Corbett and Kevin Zeitler are tentatively scheduled to start at the two offensive guard positions but there has been some talk about transitioning Joel Bitonio back to left guard and allowing either Greg Robinson or Desmond Harrison to start at left tackle.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Play posted:

Another big thing is the Browns had first choice in the waiver wire; other teams might've kept those guys but the Browns were targeting some players from other teams.

Can a player who is on the waiver wire truly be "coveted"? Any examples of a player picked up from the wire that went on to do anything somewhere else? I thought Nassib was pretty serviceable back-up/pinch starter, but I guess they like this Mario Edwards more.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

schmug posted:

Can a player who is on the waiver wire truly be "coveted"? Any examples of a player picked up from the wire that went on to do anything somewhere else? I thought Nassib was pretty serviceable back-up/pinch starter, but I guess they like this Mario Edwards more.

I mean "coveted" might be a bit of a strong word but absolutely there can be a lot of interest in certain players on the waiver wire. The Browns had the first opportunity at all of them and it looks like they picked up some guys they really wanted. That first place position on the waiver wire probably had a lot to do with their decision to release both Orchard and Nassib because they got the players with the most and second most waiver claims, Carl Davis and Tanner Vallejo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Davis may have been something in college but he did nothing to distinguish himself in Baltimore. Admittedly, the Ravens have been stacked at D-line during his tenure with the team.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think it’s a stretch to declare Mayfield Far Better than a guy who is at worst decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Browns LT Desmond Harrison: The improbable untold story of the next man up to replace Joe Thomas

Really wish they would have included this kid more in the show. Apparently he was a huge stud/recruit for Texas until he wasn't because of whole mess of stuff. Will be a really cool story if he can stick.

• Locked thread