Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Superman after Reeves was played by Brandon Routh and he seemed decent in that role but they made the next movie 7 years later and changed the role of Superman to Cavill. Spiderman went through Macguire, Garfield and then Holland even though Garfield's contract had him available to do another movie.Batman had Bale who could have been used for Justice League and Batman vs.Superman but they went with Affleck. Whether it's movies or the actors that play them, are there any good reason behind replacing actors and effectively resetting movie franchises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I guess Bale got sick of wearing rubber and didn't want to appear in a Zack Snyder movie for some reason. So that's one question answered.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Do you think that the replacements are better? Like Holland >Garfield> Macguire, Cavil> Routh?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Holland is the best spiderman by far but I also liked tobey. spiderman homecoming is very good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Movies will always be rebooted because we live in hell and studios will always want to use the goodwill from an established license as a basis for their audience. With reboots they can print money off the same license over and over again, and they never have to take risks on anything new

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Movies will always be rebooted because we live in hell and studios will always want to use the goodwill from an established license as a basis for their audience. With reboots they can print money off the same license over and over again, and they never have to take risks on anything new

Oh no, they take huge risks all the time Like Spiderman's girlfriend's roomate... is gay!!!

TheBlackDuke
Jan 18, 2015

TV Zombie posted:

Do you think that the replacements are better? Like Holland >Garfield> Macguire, Cavil> Routh?

Holland is the only Spider-Man I can watch without cringing. He’s pretty great IMPO

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
MacGuire was not a great Spider'Man but I thought he was a great Peter Parker. Same with Bale, I thought he did a good Bruce Wayne but didn't love him as Batman.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What makes someone a great/good spiderman or batman then?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

MacGuire was not a great Spider'Man but I thought he was a great Peter Parker. Same with Bale, I thought he did a good Bruce Wayne but didn't love him as Batman.

I'm the reverse. I think he was a good Batman, poor Bruce Wayne. I've always thought it would be neat if Bruce and Batman were played by different actors who looks similar. Like Elias Koteas and Christopher Meloni. But as far as the movies we got, I think Keaton did the best Bruce Wayne.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dunno, i really dug Bale's Wayne. that one scene when he's in an office at Wayne Enterprise and that guy, Paul Allan, mistakes him for some random employee was great. especially when they all start showing off each other's business cards and Wayne just cant get over how much better Allan's is

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He really sold batman's inner conflict when he chainsawed catwoman down a flight of stairs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it was nice seeing a movie finally tackle the issue of bruce wayne going around and beating up the poor and lower class. i feel like it's a darker side of batman that has gone too long unexamined

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Blind Sally posted:

it was nice seeing a movie finally tackle the issue of bruce wayne going around and beating up the poor and lower class. i feel like it's a darker side of batman that has gone too long unexamined

Good comic writers like Denny O'Neil would tackle it. BTAS did a decent job (for a show primarily aimed at kids) when you saw Bruce on the board of Arkham Asylum trying to get inmates more humane treatment or giving rehabilitated criminals jobs at Wayne Enterprises. For sure Batman comes off as a dick if he isn't portrayed fighting both the day-to-day realities of street crime and its root causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bruce would totally gently caress prostitutes to Huey Lewis

• Locked thread