Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Problem description: My computer has started crashing at effectively random intervals, usually during/soon after a gaming session. The crash is instant, with the screen going black and any audio cutting out, accompanied by one of the system's fans running extremely loudly. Usually, if a crash happens and I boot it up to keep playing, it'll happen sooner next time. Suspecting overheating I've installed and started running OpenHardwareMonitor, specifically watching my processor's heat levels; it tends to happen when the CPU package temperature starts floating around the 50s (in Celsius), but I've seen it spike into the 60s and not crash.

Attempted fixes: I've been running on the assumption that this is a problem caused by the processor overheating, as it seems to be the processor's fan running loud (I can't be sure, though, the system's main fan is close enough that I can't pinpoint the sound exactly). And sure enough, cleaning out dust with compressed air and applying new thermal paste seemed to stop the issue for a little over a week, but it's suddenly started happening again.

My current suspicion is that I either didn't apply the thermal paste right, or that the 'natural' overheating episodes actually permanently damaged the processor, but I'm not confident enough about either of them to try with that assumption.

Recent changes: I recently replaced my failing HDD with an SSD (which came about in this thread). The overheating issue did start a few days after that, but I have no idea how exactly they could be related; for what it's worth, the SSD is on the other side of the computer casing to the processor and fans, and sits pretty constantly at 31-32 Celsius according to OpenHardwareMonitor.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

System specs: 8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1070
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz
Samsung V-Nand SSD 860 EVO (1TB)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's unlikely your CPU overheated to the point of ruination. Those temperatures are well within safe ranges.

What is the PSU and how old is it?

You disconnected the old HDD right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In interests of full disclosure, there was a single point where the processor ran hotter; very briefly, for about five minutes, it was hitting the 90s. I'd messed up in putting the fan back in. I feel like just five minutes at 90 probably isn't enough to cause damage either--especially not damage that'd cause something like this to occur--but I'm putting it out there.

The PSU is a Cougar RS 650W. I haven't been watching its heat levels or anything so I have no idea if it's acting up. The whole machine, with the exception of the graphics card, SSD, and replacement thermal paste if you count it, was bought in late 2014-early 2015; I don't remember the exact date.

The old, failing HDD is no longer part of the system, it's completely disconnected.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Going into the nineties for a few minutes isn't a huge deal. But if you're at that level for weeks/months it'll heat up everything and lower the lifespan of the computer.

The next steps I'd try (in this order):

Use onboard video temporarily if your motherboard has it.

If that doesn't help or you don't have it then run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight at some point and see if it finds errors or freezes.

If memtest passes then I'd try another PSU recommended on the first page of this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

• Locked thread