Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In early September I'll be in Seattle and I'm planning on spending about 3 weeks on a roadtrip around the NW and visiting some friends in BC. I have a general idea that I'd like to spend some time in Seattle and Portland as well as Yellowstone, and perhaps Bonneville/Salt Lake City but otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

In Canada I have friends in Nelson, Dawson Creek and Whitehorse, and a former colleague in Vancouver. The Nelson/DC friends are planning on going to some mountains around Sept. 14 and I'm hoping to join them. Not sure I'd make it to Whitehorse, it's far as gently caress.

loving imgur ruining my pngs :argh:

Logistically it's a bit awkward - I'd prefer not to rent a car for the whole duration for $$$ reasons so I think I could get by without in Seattle and Portland, then rent one for a 7-10 days to do the road trip. Ideally I'd then just go directly to Nelson but that would mean renting for a much longer period and not sharing the cars with my friends there. Otherwise I'd do a full loop, returning the car in Portland/Seattle, and then taking the bus or something to Vancouver/Nelson.

Anyway - I'm open to suggestions on what to see/do in the general area as well as how to best pull it off. A few specific questions though:
  • I want to buy some stuff online as usual when I'm in the US but I don't personally know anyone who could receive it for me. Is there a service like they have in Germany and some other countries where you can have it delivered to a random shop or locker for later pickup? Also, Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, right? :getin:
  • I assume I'll need a car to get around Yellowstone. Could I sleep in it or do I need to get a tent? How long should I plan to spend there? I'm sure it could be months to see everything but like to do a few top attractions, considering my overall schedule. I'm not super into hiking but could so some of course.
  • Is public transport in and between) Seattle and Portland somewhat... existant?
  • Related to that, what's the cheapest option for car rental here? I mean outside mainstream vendors, is there someone who would lend me a 10 year old Prius or something? This below was my rental in Taiwan, sketchy, yes, but also half the price of the cheapest POS from Avis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails
No sales tax in Oregon.

There are bus and train options for Portland to Seattle.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

• I assume I'll need a car to get around Yellowstone. Could I sleep in it or do I need to get a tent? How long should I plan to spend there? I'm sure it could be months to see everything but like to do a few top attractions, considering my overall schedule. I'm not super into hiking but could so some of course.

Yes, you'll need a car. You can sleep in it, but it has to be in one of the park's campgrounds, which you need to pay a fee to use. Some of them allow reservations, the rest are first-come first-served. I spent 5 days there, went to all the main areas of the park, and did a number of small hikes. I also stayed outside the park so there was a lot more driving back and forth. You could certainly do a brief tour of the main attractions in 2-3 days. None of them are far from a road, so often it takes longer to park than to get to the main viewpoint.

Grand Teton is also really nice to hike in, or even just drive through.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
If you don't have a specific reason to go to Salt Lake City or Bonneville, skip it, especially Bonneville. There's nothing there. Speed week is pretty much the only time there's much going on in Bonneville and it just ended. SLC is ok for the most part, but unless you are visiting people or really want to see all the LDS church sites like Temple Square, I can't find a compelling reason to visit it.

If you're gonna rent a car in the US and go to Canada, make sure you let the car rental company know that. They need to give you something to show at the border that says you have authorization to take the car out of the country, or they may refuse you entry on the grounds you're trying to steal your rental car. I know, it sounds dumb, but thats how it is. Not all car rentals allow this and some may charge you extra for the privelege.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oops I think I messed up a bit by not booking the accommodation sooner - all the more affordable options are sold out in Seattle for the weekend :v:
So this shuffles the plans a bit and I'll just go to Portland sooner and spend time in Seattle on the return leg. Great that there's already a thread for Portland with some ideas.

And thanks everyone for the tips and information! Skipping Utah in this case and maybe will spend some more time on the coast instead.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

BC is burning right now. I got back from Vancouver on Sunday and it was smoky there all last week, so I can only imagine how bad it is near Nelson. Good luck and stay safe.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa I had no idea this was a problem, haven't seen anything in the news and my friends haven't told me either so far. Thanks for the heads-up, though it's not like I can just come back when it gets better so hopefully it clears up by around 13-14th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep wildfires in BC confirmed by my friends, though apparently it's not as bad as last time. I was having some last moment doubts whether to set off to Yellowstone or just visit the local mountains but I think I'll stick with Yellowstone. Mountains are nice and all but that's what we'll be doing in BC and can always go the the alps.

• Locked thread