Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/BpT6MkCeP7Y

why does this 2014 video look a million times better

because it has enough memory to do the job

also they sacrificed resolution for detail, your brain is filling in the details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ikea has a renderer they put together that uses employee's desktops to render frames during downtime (night, etc).
p. cool, actually

babylon 5 was doing that back in the 90s

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/BpT6MkCeP7Y

why does this 2014 video look a million times better

oh yeah i remember these

the geometry is really nice on the closer street scenes. it has a real-esque look to it, but not anywhere near as smooth. way too noisy, especially when moving because the ray hasn’t caught up between frames, so it’s nothing that could be playable like something running with rtx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Sphere posted:

oh yeah i remember these

the geometry is really nice on the closer street scenes. it has a real-esque look to it, but not anywhere near as smooth. way too noisy, especially when moving because the ray hasn’t caught up between frames, so it’s nothing that could be playable like something running with rtx

this is true but also a 4 year old video

also the method it uses is that it blanks out whenever camera moves, and then sends samples. it could possibly use a method of using the previous frames rather than blank to start. would look a bit motion blurry but would look less noisy

point also is that if they made a card that had dedicated solvers for path tracing, then wow. would be crazy insane good. the lighting is just so superior

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but lol I also realise that gpu engineers aren't stupid and that my worthless opinion is based on lack of information and being a dork

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh well since exploring it im discovering real time path tracing engines inside unity 2018 etc anyway.

this ray tracing poo poo is poo poo

they integrated that brigade engine into octane which is a gpu render

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/video/S8950/

this video is long and dumb but the quality is off the hook given the frame rate. gonna put this technology into games?

gta 6 is going to be so beuaitful

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 24, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

gta 6 is going to be so beuaitful

looking forward to when it comes out in 2023

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

this is true but also a 4 year old video

also the method it uses is that it blanks out whenever camera moves, and then sends samples. it could possibly use a method of using the previous frames rather than blank to start. would look a bit motion blurry but would look less noisy

yeah it’s really impressive nonetheless, but rtx doesn’t seem to have a problem keeping up with movement

echinopsis posted:

point also is that if they made a card that had dedicated solvers for path tracing, then wow. would be crazy insane good. the lighting is just so superior

that’s what these new cards have essentially. like, this is what this thread is about lol

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 24, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but the rtx is ray tracing, not path tracing, so it's always going to look like a game

ray tracing sends a ray, and then when it hits that point, it tries to send rays to the lights, and if it gets there, it lights up the point, and the shading is determined by the normal to the light using like phong shaders or whatever

path tracing sends a ray, and when hits a surface, bounces the ray according to the surface (ie, a mirror will be a straight bounce, but a diffuse surface will bounce the ray in a random direction (as in real life)), and then continues bouncing, picking up the colour changes, and when it hits a light, then it lights the surfaces.

because the bounces in path tracing are random (as in real life), you need multple samples per pixel, whereas ray tracing only needs one.

unless these guys mean path tracing when they say raytracing, I am just not happy with what they're doing

looks like path tracing is coming to games. there are vids on youtube with quake 2 with path tracing..

but this isnt't that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my opinion on rtx is valid and worthwhile

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

echinopsis posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MV26bOSAyk

this is minecraft using pathtracing, or at least uses pathtracing for an aspect of the shading. it also uses temporal samples and I think traditional shading, and combines them or something so you dont get that noise effect but ya do get accurate lighting

its good

go to 5:13. it almost as if it uses pathtracing or something, but locks the samples to the surfaces that are seen.. its an unusual effect because when he goes around a corner, and sees a surface that isnt currently on the screen, it redraws it. looks like its fading in, in a unique way.

ots gppd

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
sounds like you would need to trace a lot of rays to do this "path tracing"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate yes

the rodtronics poo poo I make like this :

is like 2500 samples per pixel

and its still a bit noisy

to be fair that is completely true path tracing without any tricks. im sure real time stuff has all kinds of tricks to improve efficiency (like low res light samples and screen res texture samples, or something)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in a not unreal way, the noise resembles photos taking in low light with high iso film. as in the cause of the noise isn't dissimilar, high iso film is basically low # of samples with high brightness per sample

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

suffix posted:

sounds like you would need to trace a lot of rays to do this "path tracing"

Like, gigarays?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you put the gay in giGAraYs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

mlyp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echi make a fractal

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

echi make a fractal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:argh:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

yeah but the rtx is ray tracing, not path tracing, so it's always going to look like a game

ray tracing sends a ray, and then when it hits that point, it tries to send rays to the lights, and if it gets there, it lights up the point, and the shading is determined by the normal to the light using like phong shaders or whatever

path tracing sends a ray, and when hits a surface, bounces the ray according to the surface (ie, a mirror will be a straight bounce, but a diffuse surface will bounce the ray in a random direction (as in real life)), and then continues bouncing, picking up the colour changes, and when it hits a light, then it lights the surfaces.

because the bounces in path tracing are random (as in real life), you need multple samples per pixel, whereas ray tracing only needs one.

unless these guys mean path tracing when they say raytracing, I am just not happy with what they're doing

looks like path tracing is coming to games. there are vids on youtube with quake 2 with path tracing..

but this isnt't that

yeah this would be really nice, but it’s just not quite conceivable right now with games with such complex geometry

at least we can start off with ray tracing and evolve to better things over time

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

mate yes

the rodtronics poo poo I make like this :

is like 2500 samples per pixel

and its still a bit noisy

to be fair that is completely true path tracing without any tricks. im sure real time stuff has all kinds of tricks to improve efficiency (like low res light samples and screen res texture samples, or something)

woah sweet. i have no idea how you’re getting that rainbow effect in the edges, but it’s awesome

i’ve used mandelbulb, but for some reason in can only make the lighting convincingly realistic in black and white, though the color’s still cool

this is sorta a doomy looking this with color

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:)

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

baller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good Sphere posted:

woah sweet. i have no idea how you’re getting that rainbow effect in the edges, but it’s awesome

i’ve used mandelbulb, but for some reason in can only make the lighting convincingly realistic in black and white, though the color’s still cool

this is sorta a doomy looking this with color

Would get fragged by the bottom guy in the top level

• Locked thread