Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's actually good as gently caress. I have a seven gallon batch I started in like March or something

Anyone have advice about wild grapes? They're absolutely nasty unless fully ripe but mine tend to become raisins while still on the vine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Are these like craft ciders?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Why do y’all keep making objectively gross poo poo and consuming it? Please enlighten my soft brain.

Hobowine is cheap and let's you forget you have no money. Hth.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Are these like craft ciders?

yeah when i made it it was 4 gallons. Opened the bucket and got hit with a hot blast of pure malic(?) acid vapors, and i thought i was gonna puke and die, but it calmed down and became tasty as hell after a few months. The entire basement stunk like delicious apple candy while it was brewing, but between the finished brew and finished aging process it was super insanely gross and def smelled like poison.

Outrail posted:

Hobowine is cheap and let's you forget you have no money. Hth.

same

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hell Yeah posted:

toilet hooch photography

Can I get a name change Jeffery?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

What is up hobo hooch thread.
Thanks to this thread I finally broke down and ordered some yeast off Amazon.

In a couple of days im going to give my first batch a go!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i had the same batch brewing for 11 months and it's still not done brewing

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i had the same batch brewing for 11 months and it's still not done brewing

What the? Probably well past the stone age in there.

What are you brewing, specifically?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mead. I keep tasting it and it's fine, but it's just not done. Slooooowly still bubbling away.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

mead. I keep tasting it and it's fine, but it's just not done. Slooooowly still bubbling away.

mead can take a loooong time

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but this batch is super weird because it's never ever taken long like this before, i don't get it.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So is yeast nutrient really necessary if I'm making a gallon batch with a full pack of yeast for 5?
Will the dead yeast be enough nutrients for it to take off just fine or is it worth it to add the extra supplement?
Using the least amount of everything seems keeping with the hobo vibe

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i have never used yeast nutes and pretty much always overpitched extra yeast.

I think the mead might be taking so long because it's just SO FUCKIN SWEET and SO FUCKIN ALCOHOL that the yeast are in this narrow band of slowly grinding out more and going dormant. I added in some water and the fermentation instantly kicked in again and then returned to slowmo. Maybe it was just agitation?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Is there any good input or information anywhere about the correct frozen concentrate ratio to use?

I've seen someone use 4 in a gallon and another use 1 then just add sugar?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I look at the nutrition info and just run brews based off of whatever sugars are in there. This chart can help you sorta eyeball what amount of sugar / volume will give you what amount of booze.
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

I've never added refined sugar and just add juices only. I treat honey as if it were just concentrate.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

i have never used yeast nutes and pretty much always overpitched extra yeast.

I think the mead might be taking so long because it's just SO FUCKIN SWEET and SO FUCKIN ALCOHOL that the yeast are in this narrow band of slowly grinding out more and going dormant. I added in some water and the fermentation instantly kicked in again and then returned to slowmo. Maybe it was just agitation?

Honey doesn't have enough natural yeast nutrients on its own for healthy fermentation, so you're probably better off adding some nutes than extra yeast. I know that mead is ancient and predates yeast nutrients, but unless you're following a viking recipe with period equipment, who cares.

Sentinel posted:

Is there any good input or information anywhere about the correct frozen concentrate ratio to use?

I've seen someone use 4 in a gallon and another use 1 then just add sugar?

Depends on how strong you want it, and I'd recommend reconstituting the concentrate according to the directions on the can. Regular apple juice will ferment to about 6.5% ABV, so unless you're looking to make apfelwein you don't need to fortify it with extra fermentables. And if you're making apfelwein, use dark brown sugar for color and flavor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
For every batch except one I have added juices and some fruit, or at least stuff like macha, not just honey. This is the only time I've ever had it not absolutely ferment down until it wasn't sweet at all anymore, and it's a big rear end batch that is super dense. The one honey-only batch I did also fermented down all the way.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Right on, I know that this isn't your first mead rodeo, just trying to help troubleshoot. I wonder if some of the adjuncts in your previous batches had some nutes to help things along? Regardless, it might be worth experimenting with in future batches. Nutes cost like $3 and don't impart any off flavors, and presumably anything that helps the fermentation process go faster is the correct hobo decision.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
probably they did. This one i put a shitload of juice in with it. Probably i should end up getting some and do a test run.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Well i racked my first batch and then had to throw it out.
It started to give off an incredibly vinegary smell as well as taste.
Slightly disheartened but im going to try again.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sentinel posted:

Well i racked my first batch and then had to throw it out.
It started to give off an incredibly vinegary smell as well as taste.
Slightly disheartened but im going to try again.

Seems like wild yeasts got in there and out-competed your good yeasts. Make sure all of your equipment and fermentation vessel is sanitized on your next batch, and possibly consider pitching a bit more yeast or adding yeast nutrients when you do.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
either that or acid loving bacteria. If harder sanitation isn't working maybe try fermenting juice in its own pasteurized bottle.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Seems like wild yeasts got in there and out-competed your good yeasts. Make sure all of your equipment and fermentation vessel is sanitized on your next batch, and possibly consider pitching a bit more yeast or adding yeast nutrients when you do.

I went ahead and made another batch. Made sure to sanitize all my equipment.
Went looking for some yeast nutrient but the store was out.
I pitched extra yeast into it like you said. Guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sentinel posted:

I went ahead and made another batch. Made sure to sanitize all my equipment.
Went looking for some yeast nutrient but the store was out.
I pitched extra yeast into it like you said. Guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.

Yeast loves feeding on dead yeast. If you have a cheap source of yeast, just pitch a shitload of it then boil the mix, killing the yeast. Add that to your hobowine and you should be good.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I guess another question I had is is it necessary to have a secondary fermentation vessal?
Or if i just racked it out into a container then washed and sanitized my carboy I should be able to throw it back in and just add water to cut the headspace at the top right?
I have 2 but decided to use both for 2 batchs this time so they're both my primary fermenters atm

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Everything it touches has to be sanitized. When I was doing buckets I would just let it roll until fermentation stopped and everything settled, then rack directly to bottles

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sentinel posted:

I guess another question I had is is it necessary to have a secondary fermentation vessal?
Or if i just racked it out into a container then washed and sanitized my carboy I should be able to throw it back in and just add water to cut the headspace at the top right?
I have 2 but decided to use both for 2 batchs this time so they're both my primary fermenters atm

You probably don't need to rack, and you definitely shouldn't top off after racking if you do. That's going to make poo poo splash around like crazy, and the only time you want to do that is when you initially pitch your yeast.

One of the things to remember when brewing is that you are far, far more likely to ruin a batch by loving with it too much than by leaving it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey if a brew starts going vinegar will it produce bubbles like normal fermentation? Cause my year old unfinished batch has become much more active and I dunno if it's because it's going gross or something caused it to spontaneously restart. I haven't tasted any yet and prob should just pull some.