Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Problem description: I have a TP-Link Archer C7 router. On both of my Android phones, I've noticed problems with some apps for the past month-ish. I think it's related to apps that use Google Play Services in some way, but I'm not 100% sure. Here are some symptoms:
  • Games that save their progress either fail to do so until I turn off the phone's wifi
  • DuoLingo won't load a new lesson nor will it load the voice recordings for existing lessons
  • App updates take much longer than they used to, especially for my Pixel. It used to update a handful of apps in maybe a minute or two, whereas now it takes at least 5 minutes.
  • While troubleshooting with Google, they were unable to see that I'd accepted the screen share session on my Pixel.
Otherwise apps and browsing work fine, and I haven't noticed any problems with any of the PCs in my house.

Attempted fixes: I did a factory reset on my 2016 Pixel, to no avail. I did some Googling and found a few people who found success by reducing the MTU size on their router's settings. Neither worked for me.

Recent changes: None other than the usual Windows updates. My Pixel updated to Pie after I started having the problem, but no change. My Galaxy S7 has been on Oreo the whole time.

--

Operating system: Android Oreo and Android Pie

System specs: 2016 Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S7

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I assume this doesn't happen on wifi anywhere else? Does your computer use wireless or wired?

You could try different DNS servers, I assume you're using whatever your ISP is handing you? Try changing to google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) see if that makes a difference. You could also try installing NOX (android emulator) on your computer and seeing if the same problem happens there, either with wired or wireless (or both!).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol holy poo poo it's my ISP being a dick. I totally forgot to check the DNS settings. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Aaaand it's back to being terrible again. DNS is still set to Google's.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest firmware that's available for the router.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yup, I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I installed Blokada (a DNA-based ad blocker) on my phone and it seems to have helped quite a bit.

• Locked thread