Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skeleton Ape posted:

Olive Garden is a lot like drinking PBR. It's unremarkable, but it's not bad and the people tripping over their dicks to tell you so are never any fun to hang out with.

Dude they don't use salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Carbs + fat + salt/msg is always going to trigger the pleasure centers in our brains, no matter how much hipster goons act like it doesn't. It's a lowest common denominator pleasure to be had.

The only thing missing from this thread is the goonlord claiming he had violent diarrhea after eating there

They don't use salt lmao

quote:

According to executives, adding salt to the boiling water could jeopardize warranties on pots. The company reportedly decided that updated sauces added enough flavor to the pasta on their own, without added salt.

:psyduck:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

Dude they don't use salt

So it's healthy too

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
salt absorbs water, water dilutes flavor. so salt increases flavor. but you dont want too much

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

Potato pasta is hardly something that could only have been invented by one specific culture.

I'm intrigued by how potato based pasta could have been introduced to the Romans, I can assure you of that!
Do you think they still used tomato sauce on their potato pasta? :histdowns:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
putting salt in pasta water doesnt actually do anything. you are wasting your salt

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

putting salt in pasta water doesnt actually do anything. you are wasting your salt

it doesn't actually have a meaningful on boiling point; it's added for taste

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you want salt on your pasta then put it in the sauce lol jeez how do you not understand this. why would you dilute it in the pasta water by like 50,000X is it homeopathic seasoning?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

if you want salt on your pasta then put it in the sauce lol jeez how do you not understand this. why would you dilute it in the pasta water by like 50,000X is it homeopathic seasoning?

A bunch of science based sites seem to argue that it actually does raise the boiling point although this one argues that it doesn’t add any flavor. I honestly have no clue at this point how much of a difference it makes. When I taught cooking lessons for a year an extremely good sous chef I trained under always would toss the finished noodles in olive oil which I never understood because if we made it with a sauce it couldn’t actually bind to the noodles at all so I’m starting to think no one knows how to make pasta

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/did-you-know-general-science/adding-salt-pasta-water

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
big salt won't take me for a ride

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

marijuanamancer posted:

this is a really cheap way to pay for food for a year if you dont die from obesity or w/e

I'd totally do it and go almost every day.
Its like 85c. totally worth it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Aesop Poprock posted:

A bunch of science based sites seem to argue that it actually does raise the boiling point although this one argues that it doesn’t add any flavor. I honestly have no clue at this point how much of a difference it makes. When I taught cooking lessons for a year an extremely good sous chef I trained under always would toss the finished noodles in olive oil which I never understood because if we made it with a sauce it couldn’t actually bind to the noodles at all so I’m starting to think no one knows how to make pasta

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/did-you-know-general-science/adding-salt-pasta-water

A friend of mine in college was taught by his mom to run the cooked noodles under tap water to get rid of the starch. Dude, you want that starch! And now your pasta is luke warm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah ok but do you drop the dry noodles into boiling water or do you put uncooked pasta in a pan and submerge it in water and then turn the heat on?

This is one of those things where everyone thinks their way is the correct normal way

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

King of Bees posted:

A friend of mine in college was taught by his mom to run the cooked noodles under tap water to get rid of the starch. Dude, you want that starch! And now your pasta is luke warm.

that makes sense. that's what you do with rice for that reason.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah ok but do you drop the dry noodles into boiling water or do you put uncooked pasta in a pan and submerge it in water and then turn the heat on?

This is one of those things where everyone thinks their way is the correct normal way

Is that because everyone does it the first way, aka the correct normal way?

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thinkin' bout that Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara :fork:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that teaspoon of salt that i pour down the drain with the water gives it a real zing
just like in the old country

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Giraffe posted:

Seriously. That guy has some extremely cursed pasta opinions.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aesop Poprock posted:

there's more than one way to make pasta

i hear in some countries they serve the pasta... cold

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
A year is too much. I only ever go once or twice to Olive Garden.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You take that back

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

there's more than one way to make pasta

The hosed up things in 2018 isthataway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Giraffe posted:

WRONG it’s actually EASIER to get perfect al dente pasta doing it the second way.

I was beyond skeptical but now I only do it that way and the pasta’s texture is superior, so ha ha ha ha ha ha to all you non-believers with a mouthful of mush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

They don't use salt lmao

:psyduck:

They do in fact use salt, and plenty of it.

Not salting pasta water is ...... suboptimal but not enough to make or break an entire meal

• Locked thread