Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Once again (for the fifth time, if I’m not mistaken), The September Procession is in need of some fresh blood! First of all, I believe a brief summary of the game’s story thus far is in order.

quote:

A disaster of cosmic scope, known as the Eclipse on the mortal plane, has befallen the multiverse. It has isolated the planes from one another, silenced the gods themselves, and caused a growing number of random individuals to lose their ties to the sources of supernatural power they could once draw on – magic, in other words, of whatever colour.

A party of intrepid adventurers was tasked with solving this mystery, a journey that eventually saw them transported to the Feywild, one of the planes that had until then been thought inaccessible. Here they discovered that the Feywild had been cut off from the rest of the multiverse for a full twenty years; more troubling still was the revelation that on this plane, the Eclipse coincided with a massive assault launched from the Underdark by the fomorians and their drow allies – and from the Astral Sea by githyanki raiders, whose flying warships apparently are capable of crossing planar thresholds when nothing else is.

Siding with Tiandra, queen of the Summer Fey and commander of the armies standing against the fomorians and their allies, the party has managed to capture one of the githyanki airships. Two dire revelations have resulted from this: one, that the githyanki at least are acting at the behest of a mysterious entity from beyond the Feywild – and two, that they are able to pass between the planes by harnessing a peculiar kind of energy distilled from the lifeblood of a goddess.

With the captured battleship refitted and ready for combat, the adventurers stand ready to plunge into the unknown and cross over to the Astral Sea. Their objective: locate the goddess Avandra and break her out of whatever dreadful prison the githyanki are holding her in…

I think the above about covers recent and not-so-recent events in the game, though I'd be happy to answer any questions there may be. There's also the original recruitment-turned-OOC thread for information on the general setting, although not all of remains terribly relevant given that the game's focus has since shifted to other planes. The thread also dates back to those halcyon days when there was little more to 4E than the very first Player's Handbook/MM/DMG, so the truckload of new races, classes etc. that have been introduced since aren't taken into account there – again, enquire in this thread if you need anything sorted out lore-wise.

The party currently consists of a eladrin fighter/ranger hybrid, a drow hexblade (who likes to masquerade as anything but a drow hexblade), and a human cleric. Their damage output is rather prodigious, so another striker isn’t really needed. A controller, on the other hand, would certainly be welcome, and I think a case could be made for a defender of some description as well! That said, I shall be basing my picks on which characters are the most interesting as characters, and on how much fun they seem like they’d be to have around. In spite of being a 4E game, the fun we’re having derives at least as much from the interactions the PCs have with each other and the NPCs as from killing monsters and otherwise demolishing combat encounters.

On a related note, remember that this is an epic-tier game! The names and deeds of prospective characters are quite likely to be spoken of in awed voices throughout the lands, sung of by wandering bards, and the like. These people are more than adventurers; in one way or another, they're heroes, and the kind of people who will one day become the protagonists of legends – if they aren't already.

I'd also like to emphasise that characters are not required to be Feywild natives, even though the party is currently active on that plane. Perhaps the new PCs have always lived there, or maybe they are planar travellers who got trapped in the Feywild when the Eclipse happened two decades ago. The possibilities are not literally endless, but I’d be happy to work with prospective applicants to hash something out if desired! There are two caveats to consider, however. First, this is not a particularly combat-heavy game. I try to incorporate a fight every now and then because this is 4E and the system is largely built around combat, but overall there's not going to be that much of it. (Combat encounters are a rather involved affair at epic tier, anyway.) Second, it's not a very fast-moving game either, which is largely because I am a hopeless deadbeat. If you like your games to have daily posts, I’m afraid this one’s not for you!

If you're OK with these limitations, great! Submit a character! As usual, applications should include the character's background as well as a paragraph or two covering his/her/its personality and appearance. (I'd be a hypocrite to tell people they don't need to write a short story, but really, you don't. Unless you want to, in which case who am I to tell you otherwise?) A picture is explicitly not required, but you can of course include one anyway if you so desire.

Oh yeah, the crunchy character generation details:
  • Level 22, 22 point buy. No evil characters.
  • Generally speaking: no third-party content. If it wasn't released by WotC, it's a no-go.
  • You start with one magic item of level 23, 22, and 21 each, as well as 225,000 gold. Non-magical items (with the exception of ritual components and the like) are free within reason.
  • Races: Every race is OK as long as it's been explicitly featured as a PC race in a splat book or Dragon article.
  • Classes: I touched on this earlier! I’d prefer no hybrids, but this also depends on the concept in question and isn’t completely set in stone.
  • Houserules: you gain one "basic" Expertise feat (meaning those that grant a scaling feat bonus to attack rolls and nothing else) of your choice for free. The Improved Defences feat is granted for free as well. Finally, I have pretty much replaced the skill system with that from 13th Age, as detailed here and here. As with everything else, if there are any questions, post ‘em!
  • Themes are OK.
  • Once it's finished, please upload your character sheet to http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets and link it in your post if possible.
I believe that should be all! Recruitment will be open for at least a week. Questions? Post them in this thread and I'll do my best to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

“Quick Vinny the Bushytailed!”

There was no combination of words that could evoke a more hateful response. Vihn closes his eyes, clasps his hands together, and takes a deep breath. “I understand you have some sort of sex symbol status to maintain as the royal healer, but I would remind you that you are visiting a fortification construction site full of trip hazards? So I would kindly ask that you put some drat clothes on - or at a minimum some closed-toed shoes - you – “

“Vihn.”

He spins around to bow to his queen. Building materials halt mid-air at his will. “Queen Avinica! Your grace!”

“I’ll not waste your time: I have need for you as a liaison on a very important planar expedition.”

“Why?”

“This is not the place to speak of this.”

“I apologize, your grace. I meant it as more of an existential question, but I know that you are hardly the one to answer why I must suffer through this life. Actually, I have the answer: it is divine punishment for past transgressions. Entirely deserved, of course." Exasperated expressions press him to abandon his sarcastic tirade. "I know where this conversation is headed and I do not like it. I shall do as you ask, of course, especially considering that any other buffoon under your command would die a hundred times out there before completing the task.”

The queen makes doubly sure that nobody is around before rolling her eyes. “What provisions do you require?”

“One able volunteer, preferably fanatically devoted to yourself or...” He shrugs. "Something. Someone. At least such that they fully consent to the fact that they will have limited-to-no personal agency should I need their assistance in combat. Should be easy."

Backgrounds:

4 Empire in Abeyance (streetwise, tons of contacts, business/government leadership)
Who could willingly step down as the head of an inter-planar thieves’ guild and hand over leadership peacefully? It was unheard until a few years ago. Vihn has gone to great lengths to never burn a bridge, and while he may not have had the best moral compass, his reputation among thieves and scoundrels is nothing but trustworthy, fair, and professional. More legitimate work in the service of gracious patrons has only served to expand his network of contacts.

5 Dread Archpsion (bbeg scary psion, intimidate)
Fear and anxiety are natural responses to the kind of fellow who once kept a mind flayer thrall just to make a point. Control via direct physical access is the domain of the incompetent, he would say. His blatantly unethical use of telepathy and terrifying displays of telekinesis gave psions everywhere a bad name, but he’s trying his best to make use of his talents for a higher cause these days. His travels, unfortunately, often outpace word of his good deeds, and his arrival typically garners considerable worry.

4 Heistmaster (heists and fraud)
It didn’t take much work to graduate from stealing food from rubbish bins to embezzling gold from state coffers. Staying out of sight, keeping the ledgers neat (however heavily cooked), and not getting greedy is how Vihn has managed to get away with so much, rather than meeting an unsightly end at the hands of a gang of bloodthirsty do-gooders like so many of his peers.

2 Heavy Things (build lairs)
Overengineered secret villanous lairs aren’t built with contract workers, they’re built with blood, sweat, and telekinetic powers. As a royal engineer in the service of Queen Avinica of The Everleaf, he has gained considerable experience in erecting extensive fortification networks for the purpose of warding off hostile fauna.

(if I get +2 from racial skill buffs to Bluff and Stealth, just add 1 to An Empire Abeyed and 1 to Heavy Things)

*natural state
Vihn the Quick*, psion/Thrallherd/Cosmic Soul
Purchased Gear List
*I'm ditching the lvl 22 feat for Epic Background, since skill feats were a big part before I read about the move to backgrounds. The free expertise will go to the staff, but as a weapon instead of an implement.

He had never really desired to be a person until now. There was no need for it, as his life was more comfortable than he ever could have imagined. And how long! He already outlived some of his grandchildren. Sad, but they had full and good lives.

And he never had to do more than fetch a few spell components or perform a few parlor tricks for his master! Very rarely was he put in harm’s way. He saw how much the others suffered; how they toiled for their pay on grueling expeditions into dangerous places. Who would want that?

But now he tugged helplessly at his master’s collar, unable to pull her from the rubble of her tower. Never had he wanted so badly to be one of them, to have the size and strength to save her. She suddenly came free, but not in time to do any more than hold her in his arms before she passed. He mourned for days.

And then he became angry. But on that day a kind old man stopped to ask if he was alright.

“I’m so sorry for your loss, young man,” he said. “You are left with nothing. It is unforgiveable! I wish I could help you. War is such an awful thing. But you know what? I think you might have some talent. Would you like to learn how to stop it?”

---

The kind old man took him in and taught him. Silly parlor tricks for his late master turned into the power to move earth and mind. The force of will that let him take the form of a man was forged into a weapon. Hate fueled an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and relentless training. The kind old man would always remind him to go to sleep. He was the most driven and most diligent student he ever had, he said, and he couldn’t have him getting sick.

The fear of ever feeling so helpless would keep him up. Vihn would go out to practice until he grew bored.

---

Perhaps the kind old man was not, in fact, so kind. But he was kind to Vihn, and that was good enough for him.

Vihn marched through the gates of the castle, the kind old man laughing gleefully as he matched his pace. The history books would record the massacre as a lovers’ quarrel. The king’s most powerful knight – and the prince’s forlorn lover – would go on to slaughter the entire court after the announcement of the prince’s wedding. She then cast herself off the highest rampart in sorrow. It was an awfully sad tale, the kind of tragedy that would be sung by bards, put into theater, and make lots of artists rich and famous.

Revenge had been taken upon the government that took his master ten years ago; it was wholly unsatisfying. But the kind old man was overjoyed, as Vihn had mastered powers that none of his other students could manage. Agranimar the Black proclaimed him the greatest of his proteges and titled him Vihn the Quick.

Having learned all the he could from his master and having no direction in his life, Vihn wandered aimlessly, undermining small government operations for a comfortable, but not extravagant, living. He could tell that Agranimar the Black was already grasping at straws in an attempt to keep him around. Perhaps he hadn’t planned on things moving this quickly?

---

Pesky students trying to earn their master’s favor continued to harry Vihn. Harry is a strong word, actually. Perhaps annoy is better? Flies are annoying, so the fit is certainly better. They would rarely have time to proclaim their challenges before being squashed.

---

How many students did this fool put out? Surely he must be trying to send him a message. Using mind control on mid-level government officials to execute predatory economic practices was getting old, as was being foiled by the occasional power-hungry idiot coming through town to carve a swath of destruction.

Unfortunately, it turned out that Agranimar the Black (what was with the titles, anyways?) was also the close adviser to the king of a fairly sizable city state. Perhaps his grip on the king was the reason that he never directly demonstrated enthralling powers to Vihn. Such a lack of creativity!

---

Vihn the Quick (how he loathed the title) stood over the lifeless corpse of Agranimar the Black, lamenting the fact that most of what he learned was taught to him by an imbecile who thought that economics was a zero sum game and that his small-time exploits were somehow incompatible with his grand scheme for regional... Something. That old coot’s plan surely had no sensible or well-defined end goals.

It brought his entire life into question. Had he always been manipulated for personal gain? Was revenge always the path of fools? Had he been taught wrong this whole time? Was he actually quick, or just one rung higher on the idiot ladder? Perhaps it was time to get a second opinion on this whole psionics deal. This might require a study trip.

But a study trip would need to be funded! As he gazed out on the gore splattered throne room, Vihn considered how it was too late to stop now. What was the collapse of one more poorly-run government structure?

---

The criers would announce the collective execution of the royal tax collectors as Vihn left town. It was a slow burn, but his ritual book grew thick with the tools he would need for a planar expedition.

At least his capable, independent employees could take care of themselves.

---

Wow, he really did get taught wrong. The gith and illithid are so much better at this!

Wading through bodies to get to the next lesson gets a bit old after so many years, however. And managing a guild to fund it all is exhausting. Perhaps it’s time to call it?

---

By the time he had returned, more than a decade later, he would find himself approached by an intrepid young paladin-inquisitor of the Order of Pelor. It had taken quite a while for the investigation to bear fruit.

“First, if I may – can I just say that I do not intend to put up a fight?” He says, hand raised apologetically as she draws her sword. “You would not be victorious either way, but – “ He stops himself from leading with the sort of excuse that lends itself well to a villain’s monologue. “Allow me to rephrase: I understand that I was in the wrong, and – if you will bear with me talking this much – I am going through a bit of a crisis right now.”

“How so?” She asks, not letting her guard down against such an infamous figure.

“I regret everything.” The jaded acceptance in his tone is unmistakably honest. He cocks his head. “Well, everything since becoming a person.” Vihn motions to himself. “The past thirty-odd years. I have no direction in life, I have nothing to prove to anyone, and I was honestly happier eating garbage and living in a refuse bin behind a tavern in a far eastern land. I’ll not let you take me, but I shall not fight you. I do not believe in the slightest that I can make up for all I’ve done, but I would like to at least try, and I’ll not have you stop me.”

To this day, Vihn has never seen someone so happy.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 29, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm down for some 4e. I'll likely have a defender thrown up later on today.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Trying to grapple with making a grappler defender.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Apis, Hired Muscle

"Three hundred thousand. That's the price." The massive horned man says as he crosses his arms and puts his feet atop the table. The tavern where him and the Eladrin emissary have met was surprisingly empty even for that day. It mattered not for Apis, as it fit him just fine. Negotiating fees usually ended up with someone trying to mug the poor employer and once again he would have to crack a head open. "That's a bit expensive for just one man..." The Eladrin answered with a look of disgust in his face. He opposed the employment of mercenaries by the Queen and even tried to make the case, but most of the Summer Court still wanted that brute to be brought into the Astral Sea expedition.

Apis let out a thundering laugh and grabbed a tankard of ale, downing it with a single gulp. "Expensive for one man, yes. But I'm not that, bright boy. I'm Apis. And I don't use no fancy epithets like the other men in my area of work because I don't need them. When the Winter Court was having trouble with that rebel Fomorian Warlord that started stomping around their grounds, they hired me for just a bit less than what I'm charging now. And as an emissary, you probably went there and you saw him, right?" The Eladrin shuddered at the thought. He saw the misshapen broken giant that the Winter Queen displayed to her visitors as a warning. "I've got an offer from the Githyanki, you know." Apis said as he put his tankard on the table and immediately picked another one, chugging with gusto. "To help with their raid. They cheaped out, though, you'd think pirates would know the value of that kind of stuff. I mean they could be holding a grudge for when I cracked the skull of that captain Taiyon ten years ago alongside the rest of his crew. He brought it on himself, though, The Brass City of the Efreeti is not a place you just go out and raid."

The Eladrin sighed, and grabbed a large bag that made a satisfying clinking sound as it hit the table. "Thirty thousand. The rest... If you return successfully. Why the need for this kind of wage, though? You don't seem to be a man of expensive tastes." A poison barb on the last sentence that is ignored by Apis as he picks the money. "Once I return successfully. And the money isn't for me. It's for my kids. And grandkids, I guess. Don't have much time to see 'em, what with the four mothers who are a bit pissed off with me." Another resounding laugh echoes through the tavern. "Scarier than any guy I beat up! But I'm a family man, even though I'm a bit too fond of the job. Worry not, Mister Envoy. Tell your Queen that this expedition is safe as long as I'm with them. ha ha ha!"

Blood of the Minotaur (4) (Physical strength feats and labyrinthine senses) - Born from a Minotaur Father and a Human Mother, Apis not only had quite the flavorful family history but also various perks regarding the heritage of his paternal race.
Veteran Mercenary (4) (Streetwise, tactics and intimidation) - Serving as a hired fighter for almost half a century is bound to make a man much more canny to what people can do to each other... Not to mention the sheer battle experience also gives him the kind of expertise seen only on hardened generals.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 29, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I assume you've got heals on lockdown with a Cleric in the party, but how would you feel about a more tactical kind of leader?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Dear god no give us as many heals as you can please.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Really Pants posted:

I assume you've got heals on lockdown with a Cleric in the party, but how would you feel about a more tactical kind of leader?
I can certainly bust out plenty of heals (though I seem to mostly be focused on saves for days), but more is never bad! That means MMA can make encounters even harder. :unsmigghh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hurricane Zail, Half-Elf Warlord/Daring Blade/Hordemaster

Backstory to follow.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, I am not opposed to the idea of another leader. The one role we don't really need one more of is striker because Iira and Landra are extremely murdery already.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Very tempted to apply; I love me some feywild shenanigans so I'll probably whip up a character that's related to there, but just so I have things clear, how are your Fey Courts structured (in so far as they are at all?) Is it traditional Summer/Winter divide? Is there enmity between the two or are they joining together in the face of a common threat? How much of this can I make up?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
As far as I recall, most of the seasons have thrown in behind Summer Queen Tiandra to fight the fomorian/drow/ githyanki invasion. Except for Winter. They are not out and out siding with the invaders, but they sure as hell are not helping the summer coalition.

I'm sure MMA can answer better. Or dallan maybe, being a filthy ice blooded winter fey.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Edited my backstory and did a few more purchases!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

On closer inspection, my idea for Hurricane Zail is basically identical to Landra but with more swearwords. I'll try to think of something more different.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 28, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cipher, Warforged Artificer/Battle Engineer/Avangion

Zoltan Thule was unquestionably the greatest mortal wizard who ever lived. He commanded the weave with all the instinctive grace of a crane in flight, and his research completely changed the face of magic as we know it. Even now, fully five centuries after his retirement from the known planes, the world's most learned sages are still poring over the mind-boggling wonders left behind in his tower. One of the foremost among Thule's discarded relics is that which the wizard named the Crypta de Clades: a massive subterranean edifice of sealed doors in all shapes and sizes. No attempt to breach these doors or the surrounding terrain has ever succeeded; but over the passing years, the doors have commenced to open of their own accord.

The first to open, two years after Thule's departure, was the small round portal containing what today's sages call the "Red-Tailed Hawk:" a silvery construct crafted in the image of a hunting bird which launched from the Crypta and sped off for the city of Dagmar, some three hundred miles away. There it circled over the city for two hours, dispensing a heavy crimson dust that settled upon Dagmar's thatched roofs and straw-littered byways. Though an alarming sight at first, this dust was tested and confirmed to be totally inert & harmless. The townsfolk were left scratching their heads at this stunt until the next day, when a cow belonging to one Goodwife Millicent Upworthy kicked over a lantern in her stables and caused the building to burn to the ground, thankfully with no loss of life. It is now believed that Zoltan Thule foresaw this fire spreading to claim the entire city, and crafted the Hawk and the fire-retardant dust to contain it. The Hawk itself soared off into the eastern wilds after dispersing its payload, and has yet to be sighted or recovered.

Three years later the second door opened and discharged "Nak-Nak," a wheeled stone centaur of mighty bearing that rolled off into the heights of the Ironspine Mountains. Diviners observing the construct's journey reported a fearful discovery: a massive horde of goblinfolk and giants mustering in the mountains under the banner of Logrum Nobnag, an orog chieftain who had been blessed by both Bane and Gruumsh. Thule's centaur charged into the ranks of this monstrous army, heedless of their defenses, making straight for Logrum's villa and attacking the khan himself. There the centaur was eventually demolished after a ferocious battle, but not before pinning down the would-be warlord to tattoo his hands & face with its future namesake and several other anatomical terms from the Giant tongue. This display of weakness cost Logrum all his favor and standing; his generals fell to infighting and his forces dispersed without ever being unleashed upon the world.

So it has gone all down the years--plagues have been averted; floods have been forestalled; ailing heroes have received vital aid to resume their great quests. One by one the myriad doors of the Crypta de Clades have unsealed themselves, delivering the countermeasures to imminent calamities according to Zoltan Thule's inscrutable design.

Six months ago, the final door slid open. Standing behind it was the entity who called herself Cipher.

The sages were stunned to find a Crypta device capable of communication, but Cipher would say only "I must go to the Summer Court. I am needed to halt the Eclipse." It has long since been law in all the surrounding nations that none may hinder Zoltan Thule's machines on their appointed rounds, and all aid was swiftly rendered for her passage into the Feywild. But only now, after months of intensive study, have the sages begun to notice disturbing signs of malfunction and data loss in Cipher's chamber...

Mysteries of Zoltan Thule (5) (Arcana and natural sciences)
Cipher is a living artifact of unimaginable power and engineering. It can only be speculated if she knew her creator in life, or what secrets the archwizard might have entrusted to his last and greatest work.

Lady in Bronze and Onyx (3) (Machine body with preternatural dexterity & toughness)
Cast in angelic countenance, Cipher's form is delicate, even spindly, moving with a dancer's gentle poise; nevertheless her materials are as enduring as any known metal, proof against illness and ordeal.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 4, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'll be giving everybody's submission a closer look over the weekend, but I like what I'm seeing so far!

Wahad posted:

Very tempted to apply; I love me some feywild shenanigans so I'll probably whip up a character that's related to there, but just so I have things clear, how are your Fey Courts structured (in so far as they are at all?) Is it traditional Summer/Winter divide? Is there enmity between the two or are they joining together in the face of a common threat? How much of this can I make up?
I don't have much to add to what Robodog said – the Summer Court and Winter Court are indeed the two major factions in this Feywild, but while the former carries the banner around which most of the plane has rallied to oppose the attackers/invaders, the latter seems to be staying out of the conflict entirely. So far. To the best of anyone's knowledge.

You're free to do some world-building of your own if you like! If something conflicts with what I have in mind I'll let you know.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
new character

Wol fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 10, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Sariel, Nightmare Weaver, The Smokeborn Duke | Illusion/Nethermancy Mage, Enigmatic Mage, Feyliege

"The world is a beautiful place, is it not? Gaze upon a field, and all you see is life. Flowers, rodents, birds, all beautiful in their colors and vibrant in their being. But beneath that veil of brightness, there is a terrible truth that everyone knows, yet nobody accepts. To have life, there must be death, and rot. Where there is light, there must be shadow, and darkness. Let me lift the veil for you. Let me help you accept the truth."

The politics of the Fey are at best inscrutable even to the most shrewd of mortal negotiators. Courtiers might from one moment to the next go from fast friends to mortal enemies. No surprise, then, that the adage of knowledge and power is held extremely high for the Fey nobility; and thus, all of them have spies and assassins on hand; unscrupulous, loyal beings that are ready to serve at the capricious whim of their masters. For Sariel, such a life has been the way since they were young. Their parents are unimportant, their lineage even less so; as a child, they were taken to the Feywild, and they have never left. For a child is but clay to shape, and in Sariel, the Fey saw a talent for the subtle magics, so they decided to hone that talent.

Their training was difficult. To command nightmares, one must first know them; so Sariel's sleep was never restful. To weave shadows, one must first know them; so light was never in abundance. To lie convincingly, one must first know truth; so Sariel's education was extensive and time-consuming. But in the end, from this shaping emerged Sariel, the Nightmare Weaver. No longer a child, but an infiltrator and spy who could induce madness at a whim.

By the very nature of their work, tales of Sariel's exploits are not those the bards sing of. Only hushed whispers, for one never knows who might be listening. But such whispers perhaps mention the fall of Somhairle, a fomorian general who clawed out his own eyes right before he was set to rampage across Summer lands. Or the punishment of Torin Aodh, a once-member of the Summer Court who had coveted the throne, and had started to move in secret against his Queen - only for her to learn all his secrets through another of her courtiers. Regardless of what they may or may not have done, Sariel's reputation is fearsome indeed, especially now that they are Fey nobility of their own - a result of their former mistress losing favor from Queen Tiandra, and Sariel, as always, making themselves useful even in the face of death.

But as a Queen commands, a Duke must answer; so Sariel is ready to aid these 'heroes' in their bid to save the The Lady Who Smiles; or, if the heroes fail, to report on the githyanki's forces as best they can to their Queen.

(4) Dark Fey: Sariel's power focuses on magic that warps their enemy's faculties and minds; a few well-placed words only heighten those illusions. They excel in subtle manipulations, preferring to never be seen at all until it is too late. But even in reasonable conversation, one can never be too sure of the meaning of a Fey's words; are they simple smalltalk, or a way to warp the listener's mind?

(5) Mind over Matter: Sariel's work as a spy has sent them to many realms and cultures; as a result, their education has taught them a wide variety of subjects so they can easily fit in. Studying such knowledge has left their physicality lacking, however; while they keep in fine shape, they are not one for feats of strength.

--

I have the Master of Lore feature from Mage, which gives me +2 to basically all knowledge skills; I guess that could be a +1 to Mind over Matter? Otherwise I don't think there's any skill stuff that needs converting.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 8, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Calamis, Void Touched, Shadow Mage | Wizard, Planeshifter, Planeshaper

Born of the void, meant to travel. Meant to see. Meant to learn. Many years ago, he sensed something was wrong. His rituals had a... distortion. Subtle. Just around the edges. Not enough to affect anything. Not back then.

Calamis tried to tell them. The old ones. They cast him out when he tried to prove it, and the ritual went astray. Instead of seeing the danger for what it was, they assumed him incompetent. The fools.

You learn other things, being stuck in the Feywild, welcomed by no court. You learn to contain your form, wrap it so you can draw from your own void. Given the time, say, 10 years or so, you make a home in a little corner of the everchanging landscape. Another 10 years and you get into the details. Why the portals are broken, how the magic still reaches out... but finds nothing. You learn it's not all gone. There's still bits and pieces. Not enough power to go home, not enough power to open a stable link between realms... but you can alter it. Create a plane JUST off this one. Just off kilter a bit. Nothing to do there, but the principle is sound. You can bend it to connect two points within the same realm and without ever leaving it. Takes more power to not go as far, but the logic holds. Create a loop, one that crosses through elemental planes. Spits you right back out here, singed, damp, and sick and blinded, but the other planes aren't gone. They're still THERE. Disconnected, but there.

Along the way you make some friends. Hire yourself out for a war or three. Make some enemies. Calamis is one of the few in the Feywild who has avoided pledging allegiance to anyone but himself.

It takes a lot to fool the fey. To make real what is unreal, but Calamis has mastered it. How to get into their twisty little minds. It wasn't his intention, but he's become a boogeyman of sorts. The Shadow Mage. The Soul Eater. The Betrayer Of Hope. No one who was there will forget the Redcaps turning against each other, the blood that flowed. Stories of the the day the Fomorian Prince lost his mind, attacking the air around him are still whispered in the dark. It gives Calamis a certain amount of leeway when dealing with his neighbors. Now, if he could only figure out why the god forsaken planes are so out of touch...

(5) Exiled Scholar Calamis has been studying fey magic, portals and the planes for over 20 years now. He knows what is wrong, but not why. He also knows a fair amount about fey customs, though he does not keep up with local politics.

(3) Curious Cook One of the odd side effects of being stuck in the Feywild is their love of food and drink has seeped into Calamis's being. When not deep in the arcane arts, he relaxes by trying new meals and attempting to brew their ale and craft wines. While you can certainly conjure these, they always lack a certain something that comes of doing it by hand.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Haven't made 4e stuff for a while, what's the best character builder to use?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The offical wizard one with custom options to keep it up to date plugged in usually works.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
And further! Can I just say thanks to you all, it's rad that even after so long and in epic level there is this level of interest at all in a re-recruit!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's been two weeks, are the picks ready?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I wouldn't make picks without announcing a submission deadline first, so I'll do that now! All apps need to be finished by September 12, 11:59 PM EST!

That said, have a few quick comments on the applications so far, as well as a hopefully pertinent question or two regarding each of them!

Atlatl posted:

Quick Vinny the Bushytailed!

(if I get +2 from racial skill buffs to Bluff and Stealth, just add 1 to An Empire Abeyed and 1 to Heavy Things)
Looking good! As for the racial bonuses, I don't think I let those contribute to anybody else's skills, so yeah. (You do still gain the benefit to Nature's Mask, of course.)

Is Vihn really trying to make amendments (a virtually futile task as he himself has pointed out), or does he just want to feel better about himself?

This is also looking good! I will say that 300,000 gold isn't actually a huge amount of money by epic tier standards, unless you meant platinum pieces or something like that. :v:

Is there anything Apis wouldn't do, no matter how well he was paid for it? (Excepting the obvious, like harming those kids of his. Or so I presume.) Has his MO of cracking skulls ever backfired on him?

Looking Good 3: Son of Looking Good. Or daughter. Whatever. And I always appreciate a solid Diablo reference.

How does Cipher feel about being a creature that is, as far as she and anybody else knows, unique in the entire multiverse? Is she even capable of feeling anything like that at all?

Wol posted:

Uliris of the Parting Veil, Cynosure of the Dendric Spire, Eladrin Psion, Alienist, Planeshaper
Looks like the background's still not completely finished, but what you've got so far looks fine!

Is Uliris ever worried that the proverbial abyss might gaze too long into her? Does she have a contingency plan in case it actually happens?

Wahad posted:

Sariel, Nightmare Weaver, The Smokeborn Duke | Illusion/Nethermancy Mage, Enigmatic Mage, Feyliege

I have the Master of Lore feature from Mage, which gives me +2 to basically all knowledge skills; I guess that could be a +1 to Mind over Matter? Otherwise I don't think there's any skill stuff that needs converting.
You have what I believe is a stray “him” in the description of the second skill background. :v: I like the creepy fey concept! As for the skill bonus, yeah, let's go with that.

What are the cause and extent of Sariel’s loyalty to Tiandra? As somebody who virtually lives to deal in illusions and seemings, how does Sariel remain grounded in the real and factual, if at all?

A void-touched genasi! Could be a bit of a déjà vu for the party.

Is Calamis confident enough in his magic and knowledge to be sure he won’t end up making matters worse somehow? Seeing as he’s born of the void, does he have any special interest in keeping the multiverse from potentially decaying into nothingness beyond self-preservation?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Haven't made 4e stuff for a while, what's the best character builder to use?
Again Robodog speaks the truth! I'm not even aware of any other tools, other than Hero Lab at best. But yes, the one made by WotC is your best bet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

And I always appreciate a solid Diablo reference.

shiiit I was so sure I'd come up with a unique name. I even Googled it just to make sure I wasn't stealing the name of a serial killer or something. Oh well.

quote:

How does Cipher feel about being a creature that is, as far as she and anybody else knows, unique in the entire multiverse? Is she even capable of feeling anything like that at all?

To this Cipher would probably say, "I am not unique. Zoltan Thule has made many creations." As she is now, it wouldn't make her feel special or lonely or anything. She wouldn't recognize herself as more singular than any other individual.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 8, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MMAgCh posted:

A void-touched genasi! Could be a bit of a déjà vu for the party.

Dammit, really? I thought I was doing something original.

quote:

Is Calamis confident enough in his magic and knowledge to be sure he won’t end up making matters worse somehow? Seeing as he’s born of the void, does he have any special interest in keeping the multiverse from potentially decaying into nothingness beyond self-preservation?

He likes traveling the planes, this is just an annoyance to him. A puzzle to solve. He's convinced he could fix it, if he could just figure out the root cause and reverse the process.

He's stuck in the details of the what and the how, but just hasn't put a lot of thought into the why or the effect this has on other people.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

This is also looking good! I will say that 300,000 gold isn't actually a huge amount of money by epic tier standards, unless you meant platinum pieces or something like that. :v:

Yeah sure let's add a zero or two for that. It's close to the level-appropriate money I started with so I went with it!

quote:

Is there anything Apis wouldn't do, no matter how well he was paid for it? (Excepting the obvious, like harming those kids of his. Or so I presume.) Has his MO of cracking skulls ever backfired on him?

No killing kids, not stealthy jobs (he likes to take the attention), no atrocities. While brutal violence has worked on most jobs that Apis took on, there was this certain bodyguard job several decades ago to a famous Orcish crime family boss where an unsightly misunderstanding led to the half-Minotaur brutally savaging his employer's brother in law during a friendly discussion that he mistook for an assassination event, an event that eventually led him to barely be able escape from the stronghold of same crime family...

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

MMAgCh posted:

You have what I believe is a stray “him” in the description of the second skill background. :v: I like the creepy fey concept! As for the skill bonus, yeah, let's go with that.

Oopsie. Actually trying to go for genderless descriptions is hard. I'm committed to it though, so fixed!

quote:

What are the cause and extent of Sariel’s loyalty to Tiandra?

The cause is that they've been raised in Tiandra's court, and thus know no better than to obey; for they've seen what happens when somebody grows too ambitious and goes against the Summer Queen - including their own former mistress, who was once a courtier as well but whose name is now forgotten. Hence, their loyalty is pretty far-reaching; not only for self-preservation, but also to keep a certain measure of order. One ambitious courtier every now and then can be dealt with. But the Fey are steeped in tradition, as obscure as those may seem sometimes, and so those traditions must be upheld. The Queen rules; so whoever you move against, you don't move against Her.

quote:

As somebody who virtually lives to deal in illusions and seemings, how does Sariel remain grounded in the real and factual, if at all?

Very few things are "real", as most see it. In a world where beings of great power shape it as they desire, whether through actions of their own or their followers, what is "real" but the exercise of will upon the environment through said power? Sariel's power is more ephemeral in nature than most; but all the same, they exercise their will. They shape reality like so many others. Yes, it leads to a certain...paranoia, but they have been trained well enough to keep that paranoia from devolving into madness. In the end, it all comes down to strength of will. Gods are real. The Fey Queens are real. Practitioners of power are real. And all they produce from their power, that too is real. Perhaps not to the layman, but the definition of a layman is that they have little expertise in matters. Sariel knows more about these things than most.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

MMAgCh posted:

Is Vihn really trying to make amendments (a virtually futile task as he himself has pointed out), or does he just want to feel better about himself?

He really, genuinely is trying to make good on what he's done, but understands that it's very nearly impossible and is all the more jaded because of that. There's not really anything to feel good about. Vihn strives to do the right thing out of spite and determination since he realizes that he won't be able to earn forgiveness or even acceptance from most people. Utilizing his connections and talents to make himself useful to a greater good is the best he can hope for.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Pae Miari, Speaker for the Small
(Raccoon Hengeyokai Seeker, Knight Hospitaler, Ocular Adept, Mythic Spirit)
Orokos / PDF

Pae Miari remembers her 100th birthday well. There she was, with a stolen bird's nest in her claws, about to sit down for a luxurious feast, when her whole world changed. Not the physical world. But she found herself looking at the eggs, now thinking about the eggs, now imagining all sorts of things about them. She thought about the kind of bird they belonged to, a delightful little sparrow with a chirp like laughter. She pictured the eggs hatching right in front of her eyes, the birds dancing about and singing gaily before flying away. She found herself reeling in shock as she processed all this. It wasn't anything she didn't already know, of course. She already knew what the bird looked like, what kind of trees it nested in. She knew what its song was like - hearing it was how she knew to look for nests. She never put it all together like this, though, never this abstractly. It was a lot to take in at once. She forgot her meal and started just looking around. She recalled what she knew of a nearby shrub. Then, a moss-covered stone. Then, a mushroom. After going on like this for quite some time, she decided to examine herself. Nimble paws. Those had always been there. Sharp teeth, the same of course. Bushy tail - where would she be without it? But there was something that felt new. A force inside her, newly kindled; curious, eager, changeable. And with a changeable spirit, a changeable body? That didn't seem to make sense, but for some reason it felt true. So she tried. And it happened. Where there were once four legs, now two. Where there was thick fur, now smooth skin. Shorter claws, duller teeth, but longer limbs. Arms. Still a tail - that was good, the two legs were really throwing her. It took some time, but she eventually stood up on them. This was something truly new.

With awareness of her spirit soon came awareness of others. She could see them if she took the time to look, hear them if she sat and listened. The first few felt familiar. As she sat and listened to them, she learned how they helped guide creatures like her. Helped give them shelter from the elements, helped lead them to food and water, helped keep them safe from two-armed, two-legged creatures like what she could now become. She learned of her past, and asked of her future. She asked what she was to become. "Anything you wish," the answer came. "As long as you remember us."

She did. Pae spent the next few years exploring the Feywild, from the wild, verdant forest reaches to the splendid, ethereal halls of eladrin court. She gained a knack for getting into trouble and sneaking back out of it, she learned of the Feywild's peoples and their ways, she met some she would come to call companions, lovers, enemies and friends. Throughout, she always sought the spirits wherever she could find them. She found spirits not only in the forests, rivers and hills, but in gardens, burrows, even living in eladrin lords' pristine halls. From the great to the small, each had wisdom to offer, a story to tell, or simply a natural beauty, a vital essence inspiring her appreciation. There were spirits, too, in need of her help. She began training with the bow to better protect them. When the spirits saw her act directly on their behalf, her bonds with them deepened. Some came to trust her enough to travel with her for a time, lending their companionship, guidance and prowess. She wasn't long into her role as protector, though, when she came upon a place where the spirits cried out in great need. She traveled down into the earth, into the Feydark. It took all of her cunning, both as a humanoid and as a raccoon, to slip past the dark creatures prowling the depths into the Fomorian city, Harrowhame. This was the place - the place where spirits cried out in agony, in confusion, in desparation. Pae was terrified, but she wanted to help.

She didn't get far. Cleverness was one thing, the ability to scurry around as a small animal another, but in the middle of a city of cruel giants with unnatural vision, she was simply outclassed. Pae was caught and thrown in the dungeon, where fomorian arcanists eagerly experimented on her. She doesn't know how long she was trapped down there. She doesn't remember much from that time either, just agony. What she does remember is the burbling whisper of an underground river spirit, telling her there were more heroes trapped down there with her. Through that spirit, she was able to pass messages to one of the heroes, a shaman - and together they devised an escape. The fomorians tended to make cells specifically proofed against the occupant's abilities, so the shaman couldn't summon his spirit companion inside his cell - but he could summon it outside. And while the other cells were too far for him to guide his spirit companion to, the two figured Pae's connection with spirits might be enough for her to guide it the rest of the way to her cell and free her, whereupon she could free the others. They attempted the plan the next time their jailor was away - and failed. The next time, though, they got a bit closer. Finally, the third time, it worked. A nervous Pae stumbled from cell to cell, straining to see through the burning pain of some foul magic the fomorians had worked on her eyes. She hastily freed the other heroes. Before the lot made their escape, she stopped to call to the spirits around her. Spirits of the flora and fauna that once flourished in this place, of the stone from which these forbidding walls were hewn. It was their pain that had first drawn her to this place - theirs and so many others. She beseeched them to lend her their strength. If they could come with her, if they could soften her step, sharpen her senses, ride on her arrows - they might just be able to make it out of there. A few agreed. They were small things, and weak, their homes corrupted by hundreds of years of foul magic. Nonetheless, Pae told herself they'd be enough.

Ultimately, Pae managed to escape with the spirits that rode with her. Two of the other heroes did, as well: Artanis Sunfoil, an eladrin Knight of the Summer Court, and Nova Zinnik, a gnomish wild sorcerer. The three decided to keep adventuring together in the name of their fallen comrades. Though Pae had it in the back of her mind to come back to Harrowhame and do better, do more for the spirits suffering there, all three agreed they needed to be stronger to do so. For the time being, they put as much distance between themselves and that place. Over the next few years, the three would make their names and fortunes across the Feywild. Together, they quested on behalf of eladrin lords (at Artanis' suggestion), on behalf of nature spirits and the underserved (at Pae's badgering, and often at the expense of eladrin lords), or simply because there seemed to be a good story in it (at Nova's whim). Despite Pae and Artanis's clashing priorities, the three grew close.

When the planes were severed, the three were facing down the dread eladrin Necromancer of the Winding Spire. They'd struggled through the forest she'd blighted, cut a bony swath through her minions, and were on the cusp of a climactic confrontation. Artanis burst through the door, and Pae loosed a dread black arrow at the necromancer's heart, hoping the death spirit riding along would be powerful enough to punch through her arcane barriers. What she didn't expect was that mid-flight, the necromancer's barriers would just suddenly vanish. The arrow struck true, and when the necromancer tried to respond with a spell, none came. The three finished off their foe, but left thoroughly confused. It was a fine turn of events, they agreed, but none of them had a clue why it happened. Lacking an arcane scholar between them, they decided to chalk it up to Nova's arcane luck and made off with the spoils and the satisfaction of a land saved from evil. Eventually, however, the problem of people losing their magic would start to spread, and the event would come into perspective. Artanis was soon called back to the Summer Queen's side to investigate and to consolidate power. Nova set off for the front lines of the battle against the fomorians, eager to take the fight to the group's erstwhile captors. Pae, for her part, learned of a different set of stakes. Whatever was happening, the spirits were not immune. And while people could generally survive without their magic, the spirits were magic. When one of them lost their connection, they simply vanished into nothingness. This, to Pae, could not be any more upsetting. The spirits gave the world life. Without them, the Feywild would lose its brightness, its vibrancy. Besides all that, the loss of even one spirit hurt her heart. There was no one - no person, no spirit - too insignificant to be worth protecting.

Pae has traveled mostly alone for the past few years, seeking out the oldest, wisest spirits for insight into what to do about this problem. On the way, she keeps an eye out for roving fomorian-sponsored warbands that break away from the main conflict, picking them off if she can, driving them back underground if she has to. As more and more of the Feywild is beset, she's also been making herself more and more of a nuisance in the eladrin courts, bringing to them the pleas of whatever villages she's recently passed through and the ever-growing urgency of protecting key spirit sites. Her success at court is, unfortunately, mixed. Her personal deeds keep mounting, though. She's come to make quite the itinerant folk hero. And if she's anything like she is in the stories, she's never too far from her animal roots.

----

Backgrounds

(4) Fuzzy Little Intruder: From her days as a simple raccoon, Pae has always had a knack for getting where she isn't supposed to be. It's a rare sentry that can spot her, a rare wall she can't climb or crack she can't slip through, a rare lock that can keep her out.

(4) Friend to All Spirits: Pae has spent her whole humanoid life among the primal spirits. She knows as much as any mortal can about them and the natural world they shape, and they know and trust her in return. She's proven herself an eager listener and a good friend to them, so anything they know, or any small favour they can impart, she often has but to ask.

----

Reskinning / Other Notes

Pae wields a bow. Superior Crossbow is just the hands down best bow-like weapon.

The Vistani Heritage feat serves to give Pae the Evil Eye of the Vistani power - which represents the fomorians messing around with her eyes, as they're wont to do, during her captivity. She's since had the evil eye mostly healed, but some of the magic remains.

The Knight Hospitaler theme represents Pae's folk hero status. The theme's level 5 feature reads as follows: "You can request food and lodging for yourself and your traveling companions from any temple affiliated with your hospitaler order, or from any noble household. Your request for hospitality will be honored in all but the most unusual circumstances." I figure this can be changed to being able to request hospitality among the common folk and other rustic-leaning individuals.

The Ocular Adept paragon path doesn't have anything to do with beholders. The "spiriteye" represents Pae relaxing and letting her spirit friends guide her shots. The random nature of the Totem Eye Beams power is because she doesn't ask any particular spirit to step up and help her take the shot - whichever one does, does.

The compendium entry for Raven's Feather: "This plain black feather ends in a small iron needle. When the item’s user pricks a creature’s skin with the needle, just enough to draw blood, the feather forms a mystic bond to that creature. At the moment of that creature’s death, the black feather turns bloodred. Merchants and travelers leave raven’s feathers with their loved ones, while some thieves’ guilds and mercenary bands require initiates to leave one with their superiors. One of these feathers is by no means infallible. There is no way to inspect the feather to ensure that it is linked to a specific person. It is easy enough to fake one’s death by passing off a feather attuned to a different creature as belonging to someone else." Pae carries one for Artanis Sunfoil, one for Nova Zinnik.

I have room for Further Backgrounding - I was thinking of using some points to represent Pae having good rapport + reputation with common people, and being good at making people feel safe and heard. I'm not sure if that actually plays into an epic level game well enough to warrant background points or if that'd just play out through RP if/when it comes up. Let me know!

Wol fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 10, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wol posted:

Raccoon Hengeyokai Seeker, Oracle of the Evil Eye, Ocular Adept, Mythic Spirit
So does this character supersede Uliris, or…? I didn't specify this because there's usually no need to, but I'd like only one submission per player. :shobon:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

MMAgCh posted:

So does this character supersede Uliris, or…? I didn't specify this because there's usually no need to, but I'd like only one submission per player. :shobon:

Oh, yeah, I meant to delete the Uliris post

Edit: Finished my app!

Wol fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 10, 2018

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Are inherent bonuses a thing in this game? Doesn't look like it, but I'm double-checking.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 12, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wol posted:

(Raccoon Hengeyokai Seeker, Knight Hospitaler, Ocular Adept, Mythic Spirit)

I have room for Further Backgrounding - I was thinking of using some points to represent Pae having good rapport + reputation with common people, and being good at making people feel safe and heard. I'm not sure if that actually plays into an epic level game well enough to warrant background points or if that'd just play out through RP if/when it comes up. Let me know!
Looking good. I always appreciate having an additional NPC or two to do horrible things to work into the story. I don't see any immediate issues with the reskinning you've done, either! As for the question I've quoted, I'm not really sure it's worth putting any points towards dealing with common folk at least – at this tier of play it's highly unlikely for any skill checks to happen in a context like that, and any reputation your character possesses can be sufficiently expressed in the background itself. There may be something to be said, though, for a point or two put towards making others (not necessarily just ordinary people) feel at ease and the like, if you feel it's a notable facet of your character.

Does Pae feel her greater awareness of the world (and its many perils and pitfalls) after her "ascension" to be a burden sometimes? Can she see herself ever connecting with something or someone the way she does with the spirits?

LightWarden posted:

Are inherent bonuses a thing in this game? Doesn't look like it, but I'm double-checking.
They are not.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Captain Chalinae Seastar, Privateer of the Seldarine, Defender of Love and Beauty (Drow Paladin, Watershaper, Champion of Correllon, Avangion).

House Mae'ate always had a knack for picking the wrong fight. As the fourth ranked house in Alarhyn their ambitions had led them into an alliance of convenience with the third-ranked House Arkenani against the second ranked House Desek. Their plots bore fruit, only for House Arkenani to turn on them upon the defeat of their foe. To be fair Mae'ate had been plotting the same thing, but the truly unexpected part was when the fifth-ranked House Orlyl broke their agreement with Mae'ate and sided with Arkenani instead. Defeated and disgraced, Mae'ate fled the city with nothing more than they could carry (which was still a fair amount once extradimensional storage was brought into play).

As a house with no small amount of magical talent, the matriarch settled upon a suitably ambitious plan. Rather than scrimp and claw their way back from disgrace in Alarhyn, they'd venture out in search of plunder and glory, to rebuild their strength and return as conquering champions of the spider queen. The surface world had been challenged by too many drow raiding parties and the depths were hotly contested by the likes of the mind flayers, so the true prize obviously lay in the Faerie world, with a host of soft elves and their magical wonders ready to be sacrificed to Her glory!

It was arrogance that let House Mae'ate underestimate the eladrin and the fey lords. It was ignorance that let them underestimate the fomorians.

If the Feydark has a master it would be Thrumbolg, the First Lord of the mad-eyed giants and even the drow must tread lightly in the long shadows of Mag Tureah. It was an expensive lesson for House Mae'ate, who found no welcome home in the Feydark. Their flight took them out of the depths and onto the surface, a realm just as inhospitable between the eladrin forces, the hags of the Murkendaw and the sly beasts of the wild they found no shelter or base of conquest.

Instead they found... the sea.

The Underdark has its lakes, some of even prodigious size, but little on the scale of the Feywild's oceans. Staring at the waters that stretch to the horizons of the brilliant starry skies would be an event that inspires awe or even humility in many... House Mae'ate decided they'd conquer it instead.

Lacking anything resembling aquatic or naval traditions their attempts were more or less disastrous but through persistence and a rather fortunate theft they managed to acquire a vessel of their own and began their great conquest of the fey waters.... until they hit a storm that dragged them beneath the waves and spelled the end of House Mae'ate.

And it was House Meralé that emerged from the waves. Whatever pity or plan motivated Siobhan to spare her waterlogged cave-dwelling cousins, they nonetheless owed the archfey of the seas an immense debt of service, one that continues to this day. It was the archfey that spared them and members of the Coral Court that taught the dark elves the ways of the sea.

By Chalinae's birth, Alarhyn and the Underdark were but a wisp of memory, with their house having spent enough time on and beneath the waves that those born touched by the waters were a common occurrence owing to some combination of the diving enchantments on some of their vessels and the occasional intertwining of lines with the sea fey. The family functioned as privateers in the service of the Coral Court, largely preying on the fomorian and goblinoid navies, occasionally getting involved in some other venture such as trade, smuggling, or escorting cargo and nobility.

Growing up among the fleet was a life spent in transit, sailing from city to city during the summers and wintering among whatever of their few allies would have them. To Chali the fleet and its crew were legends, a source of inspiration and delight in their skill and daring, but among the other fey their reputations were considerably more... mixed. They did have several strong allies among the Coral Court and sea fey such as the merfolk, but they were often suspect to any groups who had ever been in conflict with the drow and their occasional altercations did little to help matters.

The corsairs would go to great lengths to avoid the loss of eladrin lives, but in the service of sea lords sometimes a noble house needed to be taught a lesson in the form of the capture of a ship, theft of its cargo and occasional long-term residency of one of its scions. They'd conduct themselves in a swashbuckling pageantry, with the flourish of blades and words, designed to accomplish their goals with a minimum of hard feelings from the noble houses (and the romance of it had more than a few fans among the younger nobility and lower classes).

Chali loved the spectacle of the Summer Fleet, exploring the wonders of the seas, the beauty of the cities and the adventure and spectacle of the fleet's work. The first sight of spring was met with rising joy at the prospect of the fleet embarking, while the hint of autumn could only bring dismay at the thought that the voyages would come to an end. But after several years and several voyages she was finally old enough to join the Winter Fleet... and the Winter Fleet always sails for Astrazalian.

The City of Starlight shifts between the mortal and faerie world every six months, a source of trade of knowledge and wealth in the mortal world every spring that returns with its bounty at the end of summer. But those gifts make it by far the greatest possible prize for the First Lord and the fomorians- a city from which they could conquer two worlds.

Against the eladrin, the Summer Fleet practices theater. Against the fomorians, the Winter Fleet practices war.

It is a grisly affair, as the city is under an almost continuous state of siege and the fleet called upon time and again, shedding blood to ensure the safety of eladrin lives and the acceptance of their own. It is a crucible from which not all of Meralé return. It takes a corsair of great skill to challenge a fomorian in single combat, thus the fleet usually sticks to harrying their vessels and siege camps, conducting raids along with other fey soldiers. But nonetheless one night she and her fellow raiders were cornered by a band of conscripts under the lash of a cruel fomorian slavedriver that drove them deep into their ranks. Inexperienced as she was, there was little she could do other than curse her powerlessness.

In the face of the advancing goblin soldiers she could only clutch her blade in terror, but there was also something more. Chali did not want to die, but beyond that she did not want these creatures to win, to destroy this city, to advance and lay waste to her home and her family and her friends and even those she had petty squabbles with. There were terrible, beautiful, wonderful things in this world and these creatures would corrupt them and twist them until there was nothing remaining and her heart burned at the thought of these atrocities...

...and her blade answered, shining with a pale silver light of its own. It wasn't enough to defeat a fomorian, but it was enough of a distraction to buy time for the raiding party to cut its way back to the shore. It would not bring back those they lost, but she would do everything she could to keep others from suffering the same fate.

These days the Seastar is a beacon among the Winter Fleet, a seemingly reckless warrior who will challenge even the fomorian lords themselves to shield her crew and allies from danger, lending strength to the injured and courage to fearful. Though heavy armor may seem odd aboard a sailing vessel, she wears it with ease and has no problem with the seas. Her experiences with the Winter Fleet have tempered some of her youthful impulses, but her love of stories, adventure, romance and style still color her actions, to boost her own morale just as much as anyone else's. Though initially met with a great deal of skepticism her decades of dedicated service have earned her at least begrudging respect (especially from those in Astrazalian), though there are still those who hold grudges based on her heritage (unfairly) or the Fleet's past adventures (reasonable).

The Eclipse brought a great deal of upheaval in the Feywild, including changes in magic, the silence of the divine and a massive uptick in activity raids from the fomorians, drow and other dangers. The ongoing war has been incredibly taxing on even Chali's indomitable spirit, but whispers of something that could bring a decisive end to the conflict and even the fomorian menace itself have rekindled the blaze in the corsair's heart.

+4 Swashbuckler of the Starry Seas: Sails, sings, schmoozes, swings

+4 Champion of Love and Beauty: Devotee of Corellon and Sehanine, seeks to protect and promote love and beauty in all things and places

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

MMAgCh posted:

Looking good. I always appreciate having an additional NPC or two to do horrible things to work into the story. I don't see any immediate issues with the reskinning you've done, either! As for the question I've quoted, I'm not really sure it's worth putting any points towards dealing with common folk at least – at this tier of play it's highly unlikely for any skill checks to happen in a context like that, and any reputation your character possesses can be sufficiently expressed in the background itself. There may be something to be said, though, for a point or two put towards making others (not necessarily just ordinary people) feel at ease and the like, if you feel it's a notable facet of your character.

Oh nooo my friends! :ohdear: I'm glad I took those raven feathers...

MMAgCh posted:

Does Pae feel her greater awareness of the world (and its many perils and pitfalls) after her "ascension" to be a burden sometimes? Can she see herself ever connecting with something or someone the way she does with the spirits?

She enjoys what she does. Her relationship with the spirits isn't totally based around her doing favours for them - she also spends time frolicking, playing, and just conversing with them. They take care of her and help her out in her journeys and conflicts, too, so it isn't totally one-sided. She does sometimes feel burdened, though, in that there are too few people who care for the spirits the way she does. She feels a bit spread thin. While nearly all fey are familiar with the concept of spirits, and many make at least a token effort to be respectful of them in their travels, too few are willing or even able to form the kind of bond with them that she has. She wouldn't mind having a little less responsibility - it'd be good for the spirits, since more people could accomplish what she alone can't, and it'd be good for her to have more time to experience different things in life and just relax.

As for connecting with another person on a deep level, she could see it happening. The spirits are a large enough part of her life that it might have to be someone who has a bond with them as well, even if not to the same extent or with the same history she has. There's just a bit of a gulf between her and most people - in the things they care about, in the experiences they've had. She's open to the idea, but while she's had fun with other humanoids and has friends she cares about, there's never been anyone she's felt as connected to as with the spirits.

MMAgCh posted:

They are not.

Oh whoops if I get in I'll retool my item choices to account for that. Might not fully upgrade to a +5 neck slot item since i'd have to drop Hood of the Wolf and i really like it, but should get something +4 at least. I'll check out my options.

Wol fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 13, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So, yeah, submissions are closed! Picks will follow at some point in the days to come once I've made up by mind.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
All right! It took me a while, but here are those picks!

There has been a mind-blowing number of submissions, considering 4E isn't exactly en vogue any more AND this is an epic-tier game. Trimming the list down to just a few was a rather daunting task, as may be obvious, but I have ended up settling on the following:

Apis, played by Plutonis!
Cipher, played by Really Pants!
Sariel, played by Wahad!
Vihn, played by Atlatl!

If the four of you would kindly report to our OOC thread, that'd be swell! I also need you to 'share' your Orokos sheet with me on there (same username) for bookkeeping purposes!

On a closing note, I would like to thank everyone who put together a character for this recruitment round. It was amazing to see this much interest in our humble game, particularly given the circumstances I mentioned earlier, and I really am sorry I could only accept so many submissions. Thank you all again!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Thanks everybody! You are all great!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Seven apps enter, four apps leave. Better odds than most. Was not expecting the double controller pick though. Wol, I'm surprised you didn't make it in the double pick- I thought it was a strong app right up there with Atlatl.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2018

• Locked thread