Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Hey everyone, so I used to play original Counter-Strike from day 1, beta 1 when the only map was mansion and ended up getting pretty good (was in a clan with these dudes Rambo, Bullseye and Ksharp before I stopped playing because of life) and probably quit sometime in late 2002/early 2003 -- can't remember which beta it was. I never picked it back up again and by the time I wanted to, CS:GO had already come out and I just never even gave it a chance. I'm looking to possibly start playing, but before I spend a whole 15 schmeckels on it, I wanted to get some opinions of how the actual gameplay of CS:GO as it exists today is in comparison to those early years of original CS? Is it just a totally different style of play/mechanics or is it pretty much the same thing as Counter-Strike circa 2002/2003?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's the exact same game that for some reason hundreds of thousands of people still play.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

War never changes, but you have to have unlock lots of skins if you want to play as well as you used to.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

It's the exact same game that for some reason hundreds of thousands of people still play.

Yeah that's actually the only reason I'm really looking at it. I Google'ed "pc games by number of players" and it was still in the top 5 or something; I figured since I used to like it maybe I still would if it was a similar game still. The only game I've played in the last few years besides Axiom Verge is Titanfall and Titanfall2. I loved both games, but they both had an issue with the number of people actively playing them despite being awesome games, IMO.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

The price tag will be less of a hurdle than the grinding to get to competitive prime matchmaking.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
No de_jeepathon2k, no sale.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Laughing Man posted:

No de_jeepathon2k, no sale.

Lol, I had forgot about that map; that poo poo was great

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
What was your name when you were in X3/CK3? I probably played against you a lot back then.

Game is the same.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CS:GO is about opening lootboxes on a livestream and screaming like a oval office when you get a golden knife, mostly

Khorne
May 1, 2002
CSGO is alright. It's the least awful game, movement wise, that the source engine has ever seen. Audio positioning kinda sucks a little bit compared to hl1 engine games, and movement is still worse but not nearly as bad as CSS or DoD:S.

You'll quit it for the same reason you quit old CS: life takes priority because it stops being super fun. Also, lots of people cheat. The competitive community is also smaller than 1.6's peak. If you actually were a top cs1.3/1.5/1.6 player then getting LEM at a minimum or probably even Global is pretty trivial. If you have fun people to play with it's a fun game.

The big changes are: there's a cheaper ak/m4 for forced buy rounds (in old cs now too), round timer is much shorter (pretty much cut in half), you can't just camp out a save round on T anymore because you won't get any money next round, most maps are much closer to being even between T and CT & it's max round 15 instead of 12 resulting in pistol round being way less impactful. Also, if you liked tapping crouch that doesn't exist anymore in cs1.6 or csgo which is kinda a shame for 1.6.

CSGO is about as good as old CS.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Global took me 400 hours, ~130 wins, after not playing CS for around 6 years. You should feel right at home if you were a 1.6 pro

• Locked thread