Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Arkham Horror can feel borderline deterministic at times. Quite often you end up already knowing exactly what you'd have to do, and it's basically just a matter of seeing whether the dice/cards let you do it. Sometimes you just get three double-portals in a row and you're boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't played the new edition of the Arkham Horror board game but it's traditionally been kind of a gateway game for people new to heavier games. It's super thematic and the components look nice on the table but it seems like (again, in the old edition at least) you have a higher chance of the entire game kind of fizzling out than a cool experience with a lot of important choices.

Now, in my opinion the Arkham Horror LCG looks like hot trash on a table (seriously, some of the scenario location layouts get ridiculous) with tokens and cards and monsters all over the place in addition to every players' personal tableau, but man the actual game is way more fun to play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like the game Touch of Evil which feels more like an Arkham Horror-lite.

It's setting is colonial America with baddies being more traditional horror monsters than lovecraftian horrors but the basic game is players investigating to find the lair of the bad guy before initiating a final showdown and killing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's a card game that came out recently called Keyforge where all decks are procedurally generated with no customization.

So of course people are reselling decks for hundreds of dollars to get the best one.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
But...but...I thought a round of keyforge consisted of two games, one with the deck you brought, and one where you switch decks with your opponent. What use would a good deck be if you want to win?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Domus posted:

But...but...I thought a round of keyforge consisted of two games, one with the deck you brought, and one where you switch decks with your opponent. What use would a good deck be if you want to win?

There's a bunch of different styles that's a variant of the standard format where your good deck would go against scrubs who don't buy for power

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Len posted:

I make it a point where if I'm playing Monopoly I play rules as written or not at all. I don't know where "free parking generates money!" came from but it's a poo poo rule.

Most of the houserules for Monopoly are to make the game more "fair". Which is the opposite of Monopoly's end goal: one player gets lucky rolls early in the game, then dominates utterly. It says it loud and clear on the game box - it's called Monopoly, nothing is fair about it.

Besesoth posted:

So the correct response to "do you want to play Mage the Awakening 2e?" is to say "...you mean 'the Ascension', right?"? :v:

I absolutely adore Ascension for it's setting and flavor... but man, did the rules ever need overhauled, badly. Issue numero uno, the biggie: making the "must achieve success at all costs" Willpower stat the fuel for magic, while not doing anything whatsoever to address the fact that Willpower was a motherfucker to regain at a reasonable rate because it was game-breaking to spam in other cWoD games.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Feb 3, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rndmnmbr posted:

Most of the houserules for Monopoly are to make the game more "fair". Which is the opposite of Monopoly's end goal: one player gets lucky rolls early in the game, then dominates utterly. It says it loud and clear on the game box - it's called Monopoly, nothing is fair about it.

I absolutely adore Ascension for it's setting and flavor... but man, did the rules ever need overhauled, badly. Issue numero uno, the biggie: making the "must achieve success at all costs" Willpower stat the fuel for magic, while not doing anything whatsoever to address the fact that Willpower was a motherfucker to regain at a reasonable rate because it was game-breaking to spam in other cWoD games.

Monopoly is so weird because everyone hates it because of how long it takes, but when you point out how they're playing wrong which artificially extends the length you get push back because "that's dumb"

Turns out a co-worker of mine plays where if you land on go you get $400, uses free parking, and doesn't auction off passed on properties. loving of course your games are never going to end.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Len posted:

There's a card game that came out recently called Keyforge where all decks are procedurally generated with no customization.

So of course people are reselling decks for hundreds of dollars to get the best one.

On the one hand, this is super dumb. On the other hand, I picked up 2 keyforged decks and found that by chance they were really similar (In keyforge each deck has cards from 3 of the 7 factions. In these 2 of the 3 factions in the decks were the same with a lot of the same basic cards) so I bought another two so I had a decent variety to play. One of them has the four "horsemen" cards, which I'm told are the ones selling for real money, so I'm gonna sell that on ebay and buy another random sealed deck to replace it. So its dumb, but I might make a modest profit from it at least!

All the tournaments I've heard of around here have been sealed deck anyway, so I assume the people buying them are spending money to crush their friends in friendly play? Or maybe there are lots of non-sealed tournaments in other areas.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Most of the unsealed tournaments around here are reverse-tournaments, that is, you take your weakest deck and play against it every round, until the finals where you have to win with it.

I love Keyforge, it's got a surprising amount of depth in the turn-to-turn gameplay and it's awesome to be able to plop down the price of two booster packs to get an entirely new playable deck.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

food court bailiff posted:

Most of the unsealed tournaments around here are reverse-tournaments, that is, you take your weakest deck and play against it every round, until the finals where you have to win with it.

I love Keyforge, it's got a surprising amount of depth in the turn-to-turn gameplay and it's awesome to be able to plop down the price of two booster packs to get an entirely new playable deck.

That is such a bizarre tournament format, I kind of love it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One of the guys at the tournament I went to over the weekend that prompted that post was using a horseman deck. He started the game by going "oh you haven't played much well I hope you still like after playing against me :smug:"

And I absolutely do still like playing the game but I'll be sticking with sealed because I feel like a second hand market defeats the purpose of your deck being built by rng.

and I didn't enjoy getting stomped by the horsemen

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The horsemen loving suck in most decks and it is really, really easy to pounce on most sanctum-heavy setups with a lot of other houses

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of my friends has more money than sense and bought Kingdom Death: Monster and it's a lot of fun. I had a phoenix take a massive rainbow poo poo on my character and got a special item for it* that can be used to forge a rainbow katana

*the special item was poo poo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Monopoly sucks, we all know that.

You know what doesn't suck? Monopoly Deal. It's one of those little five dollar card versions of board games that Hasbro did a few years ago. Most of them suck, but Monopoly Deal is legit. All the actual fun parts of Monopoly are there, the trading, the scheming, the stacking of gently caress yous to completely destroy the other players, and the lovely other 95% of the game is tossed out the loving window.

It's cheap, it's fun, and it's quick. The longest game I've ever played went about half an hour, and that was with nine players and two decks shuffled together.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Monopoly rules as written is passable and can end in under an hour :colbert:

The problem is nobody wants to play that way because "that's dumb free parking should do something"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Monopoly rules as written is passable and can end in under an hour :colbert:

House rules can certainly make it worse, but Monopoly as designed is a lovely game that should not be anywhere near as popular or successful as it is. The fact that it continues to exist at all in a world full of much better games is a testament to the power of marketing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

House rules can certainly make it worse, but Monopoly as designed is a lovely game that should not be anywhere near as popular or successful as it is. The fact that it continues to exist at all in a world full of much better games is a testament to the power of marketing.

Can? They absolutely make it worse. A guy I work with was talking about how bad Monopoly is and how long it takes only he played with Free Parking giving you money, no auctions, and if you land on Go you get $400.

It's still not a great game if you play right but it isn't the miserable hell everyone claims it to be

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Can? They absolutely make it worse. A guy I work with was talking about how bad Monopoly is and how long it takes only he played with Free Parking giving you money, no auctions, and if you land on Go you get $400.

It's still not a great game if you play right but it isn't the miserable hell everyone claims it to be

Everyone thinks it's supposed to come down to titanic hotel slugmatches when really it's all nickel and diming and occasionally getting a house or two.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't one of the winning strategies is to buy as many houses as you can and never get hotels, because theres a specific amount of houses available at any given time?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of house rules that everyone thinks are official, isn't there a rule that Uno's "wild draw 4" cards can only be used in a specific circumstance that no one ever follows?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually the best way to play monopoly is to draw up your own horribly unbalanced, jokey chance/community chest cards. All sorts of money and property trading hands, and generally ending with somebody basically getting a handy majority of the bank within a crazy half hour or so.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Randalor posted:

Isn't one of the winning strategies is to buy as many houses as you can and never get hotels, because theres a specific amount of houses available at any given time?

Yes, but if you're actually playing rules-as-written the chances of you pulling this off before the game ends anyway are slim to none.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of house rules that everyone thinks are official, isn't there a rule that Uno's "wild draw 4" cards can only be used in a specific circumstance that no one ever follows?

Yes. If you play it when it isn't your only valid move someone can call bullshit and make you draw instead

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wingspan is a very pretty engine builder game about bird watching. I'm super fuckin' bad at it (better since the expansion birds dropped) but the MVP of the game are the corvids. Crows and ravens have an ability to turn an egg into a number of food which is really good in a game where you choose one of four actions per turn "get food" "lay egg" "draw cards" "play bird"

Put a corvid in your grassland and then every time you lay an egg you can get any food from the supply. One egg for two food is the ideal bird but anything that's got Crowtec is a slam pick.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's kind of a silly game but Yu Gi Oh is the only card game I can think of that is miles better to play on a table than in any video game format. The insane nature of combos and interrupts in the game means that basically any time you have a face down Spell or Trap in a video game implementation you either have to hit B several times each gameplay phase for all the "Your opponent has Set a monster. Activate an effect?" popups, or you can just hold B to auto-pass all of those and hope you remember to let up before your opponent's Second Main Phase or whatever you're actually trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, it gets really bad when you have multiple cards and need to chain them in a certain order. I definitely didn't miss the timing on some of my cards and turn a sick counter play into a slow motion realization a fist was coming straight to my face.