Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Problem description:
Recently built a new computer and set it up with Windows 10, updates the BIOS and device drivers. Mobo manufacturer's windows app lists available updates and I got them all. I'm getting a lot of sound popping, cursor lockups and framerate issues in some games. Overwatch is sometimes okay, but Pillars of Eternity 2 gets maybe 5 frames per second. Web browsing and Netflix and the like suffer intermittent sound popping. Here's the LatencyMon report, wherein I start steam and launch PoE2 and load my game into combat, where fps is awful.

Attempted fixes:
* Downloaded latest BIOS drivers, Realtek Audio Drivers, and NVidia display drivers
* Disabled power management and CPU throttling in windows (I couldn't find the BIOS setting for this)
* removed Realtek audio drivers and let windows take the wheel
* disabled sound enhancements and exclusive mode
* adjusted sound sample rate to various formats (highest, lowest, in between)
* performed a clean install of NVidia drivers
* downloaded new LAN and WLAN drivers via windows device manager (after doing so the note about network time in the LatencyMon report went away)

Other things to note:
* temperatures are fine, ~80c for GPU/CPU while under load
* I had to set the RAM speed manually to 3600, it was defaulting to 1333 for some reason
* in BIOS, set PCI channel to v3 (was Auto and using v1 according to GPU-Z)
* I've had 2 BSODs, both with error code VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. It took an oddly long time to paint the screen blue when these happened.

Recent changes: Brand new build

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB K|NGP|N ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013
I had a similar Latency issue on a fresh build using an SSD, was having storport.sys and iastor.sys lag out all the time.

I think I remember fixing it by changing out the SATA cable and moving it to a different SATA connector on the Mobo for good measure.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Clyfe posted:

I had a similar Latency issue on a fresh build using an SSD, was having storport.sys and iastor.sys lag out all the time.

I think I remember fixing it by changing out the SATA cable and moving it to a different SATA connector on the Mobo for good measure.

The drive I have is an M2 and plugs into the back of the motherboard, so swapping cables/location is not an option.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

One thing to note is that according to ASROCK site your board does not support that memory, obviously this could be incorrect/out of date info/they just didn't test with that specific memory (they did test with 8GB sticks of the same type though soooo):

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z370%20Gaming%20K6/index.asp#Memory

I didn't find part# CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 on the Memory QVL, which is the part number from your link.

That's possibly the reason you had to manually set the memory and could be causing other system instability.

What if you don't manually set memory speed, what happens?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MF_James posted:

One thing to note is that according to ASROCK site your board does not support that memory, obviously this could be incorrect/out of date info/they just didn't test with that specific memory (they did test with 8GB sticks of the same type though soooo):

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z370%20Gaming%20K6/index.asp#Memory

I didn't find part# CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 on the Memory QVL, which is the part number from your link.

That's possibly the reason you had to manually set the memory and could be causing other system instability.

What if you don't manually set memory speed, what happens?

I did notice that (after I put the whole thing together, of course, thanks pcpartspicker) and that would explain the lack of auto-detection. Without overriding the RAM defaults to DDR4-2133. I'll contact their customer support and ask if it's an oversight or a known problematic config. (edit: without override performance seems worse)

I've been uninstalling and reinstalling things and as soon as I uninstalled the NVidia drivers the sound problems went away and windows boots up smooth as butter. Of course, the card isn't detected/used so nothing 3d works, and reinstalling the drivers gets me right back to DPC hell.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 30, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Clanpot Shake posted:

I did notice that (after I put the whole thing together, of course, thanks pcpartspicker) and that would explain the lack of auto-detection. Without overriding the RAM defaults to DDR4-2133. I'll contact their customer support and ask if it's an oversight or a known problematic config. (edit: without override performance seems worse)

I've been uninstalling and reinstalling things and as soon as I uninstalled the NVidia drivers the sound problems went away and windows boots up smooth as butter. Of course, the card isn't detected/used so nothing 3d works, and reinstalling the drivers gets me right back to DPC hell.

Really I just mentioned to try without manually setting the RAM was if for some reason it was causing the issue, but it sounds like it's not and it has something to do with the drivers/gfx card. Once I noticed they had tested the 8GB model I was slightly less concerned teh memory was an issue (but I realized this after typing so :effort:)

have you tried an older driver?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MF_James posted:

have you tried an older driver?

A few but there's no real difference. The earliest available on NVidia's site only goes back to January. For grins I went all the way back to 385.28 from EVGA's website, no difference.

Could the PCI riser from the case be causing some kind of interference? I saw complaints about it online, but GPU-Z reports it's running mostly at spec. I figured Phanteks fixed whatever corner they'd cut when the case first came out.

LatencyMon is pointing the finger pretty squarely at the directX graphics kernel for DPC and ISR, and reports high page faults from msmpeng.exe. I'm looking at that now because I've done everything I can think of regarding graphics.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Asrock got back to me:

quote:

Thank you for contacting ASRock support.

The memory controller is built-in CPU and the native speed is 2666/2400/2133, any memory speed higher than this may considered as overclocking the memory, regardless of memory labeled at that speed.

The overclocking may or may not be guaranteed worked.

However, if the XMP setting does not worked properly, the speed may be reduced lower to check if it worked.

Please try following.
Load the BIOS setting default.
Load the XMP profile.
Adjust the DRAM Frequency to 2666, save and exit to check if it post.
Adjust the speed 2800, if 2666 setting taken.
Then 2933, 3200 and so on until system is not stable.
Below link is memory QVL list that been tested with mainboard and tested speed.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z370%20Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#Specification
[image showing speeds >=2800 are (OC)]
the (OC) indicates overclocking memory speed.
I'm not sure I need to bother with any of that - setting it straight to 3600 seems to work fine.

In other news, I ran furmark twice. At 3440x1440 (native res) 8x MSAA I get a whopping 14 fps on average. On second run I used 2560x1080, no AA, Post-FX enabled and it ran at 80 fps. I had to remove the backplate of the case on the second run to bring the temp down from just under 90c to 83c, so cooling definitely seems to be an issue. I knew going into this build that it would be and what I really need is an AIO GPU but hoped this config would work okay. And I guess it kind of does at lower settings. The card I have is so large it blocks one of the fan mounts, so I can't add an exhaust fan there. I can invert the CPU radiator fan but then I'm cooling the CPU with hot air. There's a 140mm case fan but inverting that would require removing the motherboard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I assume you're running a mini/micro ATX due to space issues, so pulling the side off and blasting it with a box fan won't work? Yes it's ghetto, but requires minimal effort..... and yes I've done this because I'm lazy and I work with computers all day and I'll be fukt if I want to work on my computer at home

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MF_James posted:

I assume you're running a mini/micro ATX due to space issues, so pulling the side off and blasting it with a box fan won't work? Yes it's ghetto, but requires minimal effort..... and yes I've done this because I'm lazy and I work with computers all day and I'll be fukt if I want to work on my computer at home

Funny, my buddy recommended the exact same thing. Removing a panel helped markedly while it was under load even without a fan, but I have 3 long-haired cats and the fans I do have are full of fur and I'm worried that could just make things worse. I can keep a panel off while gaming and see if that helps any.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Funny, my buddy recommended the exact same thing. Removing a panel helped markedly while it was under load even without a fan, but I have 3 long-haired cats and the fans I do have are full of fur and I'm worried that could just make things worse. I can keep a panel off while gaming and see if that helps any.

Yeah I don't really recommend mini/micros for heavy gaming with full settings because of what you're running into, obviously there are discrete cards but it can be difficult to get good airflow in general in a small case like that, but give the side panel off a shot and see if it keeps temps cooler and that solves (or lessens the issue) at least it will tell you that's the problem if it does, then you can come up with a solution!

My suggestion: shave the cats! They'll hate you but you won't have super long cat hair to deal with. (obviously don't actually do this)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Some more tinkering has led me to believe the problem is the case's riser card. I fired up GPU-Z again just to make sure I hadn't missed anything, and it said the card was running at x8 1.1. I thought I had fixed this but I guess not. Poking around in the BIOS shows the slot was trying to run in Gen3. I noticed another setting, PCI Riser Support, that was disabled. I set it to "Enabled - 8x/8x" and there was no change. The other setting, "Enabled - 8x/4x/4x" booted to a black screen, so I went back to 8x/8x. Seems plenty of people online have problems with the riser included in the case and replacement sometimes helps.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Phanteks support is mailing me a new riser cable pretty much no questions asked, so my guess is this is a known issue for them. I'll update when it arrives if it fixes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Update and maybe conclusion: finally replaced the riser cable. It booted up once fine, but the PCI speed was limited to 8x. I go into the BIOS and disable riser card support and set PCI speed to auto. Boots to black. Plugging the video cable into the mobo boots fine, but it can't detect the card. Reverting the BIOS settings didn't change anything, still black. Finally I just said gently caress it, ripped everything out of that case and put it in my old case. Had to reseat the GPU once and reset the CMOS but it booted right up after that. So problem solved? Anyway don't buy that case.

• Locked thread