Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

:rip: Vancouver

told you so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Soccer is on today, and it matters a lot to teams who haven't won Proper Trophies. Both Atlanta and New Jersey have never won a tournament, but they can win the regular season and probably still have the first round byes on lock, regardless of the outcome. So maybe this is their cup final kinda??? Which means Jersey Gonna Choke???

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta are looking really shaky at the back. They're lucky that BWP is out.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
dammit

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
looks like we're going to get some VAR

E: and that leads to a decision to do a drop ball right outside the penalty area :thunk:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Thassa handball

"Best team hands down"? Wow, way to rub it in Twellman.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
deserved lead

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm legit shocked that either the handball or that tackle didn't get Atlanta a red.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This scoreline really flatters Atlanta

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Josef has been subbed out. Guess Tata's just gonna take the L.
Hell of a game by red bulls.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Atlanta are not having a good day

E: wait how is that a penalty he didn’t even touch the dude wtf and the Red Bull player had his arm out

EE: THAT SAVE

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I don't know how that's a penalty but Atlanta have benefitted from so many dubious calls this year that I'll chalk it up to karma.

edit: especially since Guzan saved it.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Atlanta next 3:
vs New England
vs Chicago
@ Toronto

Red Bulls next 3:
@ San Jose
@ Philadelphia
vs Orlando

Unless Atlanta really gently caress up again in one of their next games, I feel like they still get the shield pretty easily.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
RSL and Chicago are actually good as hell

weird

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We're so good.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

A mess of a game between SKC and RSL. Both teams obviously trying to get a win.
Will be interesting to see who regrets this draw more.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

We're so good.

It was a dominant performance

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe I'm being a super homer but, is it me or is it weird how much the press has had a hard on for atl when weve been ahead of them or on their heels the entire season? (and now beat them twice) Like everything I've seen about atl fails to reference the fact they have competition in their conference. I'm sure that will change as of today but either way it's been weird imo

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I mean, win a cup and someone might give two fucks how good you were in June

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I phrased that super pithily, and I did it on purpose because it was fun. But seriously. Nobody gave a gently caress how good Ovechkin’s Capitals were until now. Nobody gave a gently caress how good Manning’s Colts were until that Super Bowl in the rain. Jordan’s Bulls had to surpass the Bad Boy Pistons. On and on and on. A team that looks good, plays beautifully and never wins the title is just another annoying team.

Until they do, BWP is just Oscar Robertson with better media coverage.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I mean, Atlanta haven't won anything significant either (to be fair it is their second season, but that choke against Columbus was spectacular) so that doesn't explain it all.

I think part of it is that despite having almost as good a record RBNY has been winning in a different way. Atlanta wins with flashy hell-bent-for-leather who-gives-a-poo poo-about defence tactics and tiny Latin flair players in front of record crowds, RBNY wins with clever gegenpressing tactics and a bunch of players barely anybody has heard of for an audience that can't be bothered to get on a goddamn PATH train. The stereotype Atlanta game is a 4-0 massacre, the stereotype RBNY game is a 2-1 strangulation.

Of course the stereotypes are unfair but IMO the press loves Atlanta not just because they keep winning, but because of how they do it and because they're the shiny new kid on the block.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I phrased that super pithily, and I did it on purpose because it was fun. But seriously. Nobody gave a gently caress how good Ovechkin’s Capitals were until now. Nobody gave a gently caress how good Manning’s Colts were until that Super Bowl in the rain. Jordan’s Bulls had to surpass the Bad Boy Pistons. On and on and on. A team that looks good, plays beautifully and never wins the title is just another annoying team.

I'm going to take this as your tacit approval of the '16 Sounders (especially considering how '14 went) and no one can tell me otherwise. :colbert:

The post above me does make some good points though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Maybe I'm being a super homer but, is it me or is it weird how much the press has had a hard on for atl when weve been ahead of them or on their heels the entire season? (and now beat them twice) Like everything I've seen about atl fails to reference the fact they have competition in their conference. I'm sure that will change as of today but either way it's been weird imo

Atlanta still control their own destiny and have arguably the best finisher in MLS history.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I mean, win a cup and someone might give two fucks how good you were in June

They've won Shields!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The Red Bulls don't play pretty, they're the Leicester City of a couple years ago without the trophy. They just grind out results. At times they play lovely flowing socer and at other times it's just hoof it up to BWP and let him create something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We've been more than just "good in June" is the point. I just think the ATL infatuation has really been above and beyond anything comparable I remember in MLS. It's been ATL ATL ATL all season long despite being neck and neck with us. As DI said, Atl hasn't done anything yet either so that's where my curiosity over the situation comes from. It just seems like the media and league want ATL to win more than they're actually accurately gaugeing them. It just reeks of cheerleading imo.

Also for the record having a team that everyone underestimates and then systematically wins as different parts of the machine get swapped out near flawlessly is cooler than being the ferrari imo. I'm not mad at the press coverage I just find it odd.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, Atlanta haven't won anything significant either (to be fair it is their second season, but that choke against Columbus was spectacular) so that doesn't explain it all.

I think part of it is that despite having almost as good a record RBNY has been winning in a different way. Atlanta wins with flashy hell-bent-for-leather who-gives-a-poo poo-about defence tactics and tiny Latin flair players in front of record crowds, RBNY wins with clever gegenpressing tactics and a bunch of players barely anybody has heard of for an audience that can't be bothered to get on a goddamn PATH train. The stereotype Atlanta game is a 4-0 massacre, the stereotype RBNY game is a 2-1 strangulation.

Of course the stereotypes are unfair but IMO the press loves Atlanta not just because they keep winning, but because of how they do it and because they're the shiny new kid on the block.

Sort of what I'm saying. Makes sense

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

To be fair, Martinez obliterating the single season scoring record is pretty goddamn hard to ignore no matter what the circumstances are.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Seltzer posted:

We've been more than just "good in June" is the point. I just think the ATL infatuation has really been above and beyond anything comparable I remember in MLS. It's been ATL ATL ATL all season long despite being neck and neck with us. As DI said, Atl hasn't done anything yet either so that's where my curiosity over the situation comes from. It just seems like the media and league want ATL to win more than they're actually accurately gaugeing them. It just reeks of cheerleading imo.

Also for the record having a team that everyone underestimates and then systematically wins as different parts of the machine get swapped out near flawlessly is cooler than being the ferrari imo. I'm not mad at the press coverage I just find it odd.

Sort of what I'm saying. Makes sense

Honestly I think it all boils down to what the crowd inside the stadium looks like combined with

whypick1 posted:

To be fair, Martinez obliterating the single season scoring record is pretty goddamn hard to ignore no matter what the circumstances are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

October

• Locked thread