Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I’ve been thinking it’s about time we call another 2 hour meeting to discuss what points represent

you see they can't represent a best guess estimate of how much time it will take because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
my velocity is so high that they call me....

the scrumguzzler

ladies :smuggo:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 7, 2018

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
scrum master more like scram mister

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I’ve been thinking it’s about time we call another 2 hour meeting to discuss what points represent

Make sure there's a representative from every team there so that there is a shared understanding across the organisation

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

we can't keep "throwing things over the wall" to other teams, we need a scrum of scrums. For one (or more) of the "engineers" to attend of course. If scrum masters attended they wouldn't have the technical knowledge to get anything out of it.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Part of my job duties includes removing impediments, but only if the impediments are non technical since being technical is not part of my job description.

So I guess if your computer won't turn on I can look for IT's group email address, or if your chair is missing maybe facilities@companyname.com?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I propose a long-term sustainable way of increasing developer velocity. Charter a plane and put computers on it.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

pointsofdata posted:

Make sure there's a representative from every team there so that there is a shared understanding across the organisation

hell, why not invite every member from each team? it’s good if we can all agree

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ADINSX posted:

Part of my job duties includes removing impediments, but only if the impediments are non technical since being technical is not part of my job description.

So I guess if your computer won't turn on I can look for IT's group email address, or if your chair is missing maybe facilities@companyname.com?

ADINSX posted:

we can't keep "throwing things over the wall" to other teams, we need a scrum of scrums. For one (or more) of the "engineers" to attend of course. If scrum masters attended they wouldn't have the technical knowledge to get anything out of it.

Jeeez I didn't realise we worked together. You're very good as transcribing things to jira while trying to summarise and flubbing technical terminology/details.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

suck my woke dick posted:

I propose a long-term sustainable way of increasing developer velocity. Charter a plane and put computers on it.

This method is quite useful for evading certain pesky legal restrictions too. Have you considered working with the bit chain now or with block coins?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i prefer async non-blocking chain

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I prefer the turnover chain

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've done something called "scrum". 15% of the time we were in meetings (larger planning meetings and the daily standup, which easily took 30 min). Management insisted on us using post-its to keep track of it all because because they didn't have time to learn Redmine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

meetings and standups are a great way to track progress, in that it allows visible change which is the only thing managers respond to

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
instead of a morning standup, have a morning run

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stick Insect posted:

I've done something called "scrum". 15% of the time we were in meetings (larger planning meetings and the daily standup, which easily took 30 min). Management insisted on us using post-its to keep track of it all because because they didn't have time to learn Redmine.

We legit went back to use post its over using jira to track the active sprint (backlog and planning still done in jira) and it is preferred by all the devs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Triglav posted:

away from your desk, don't return

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Triglav posted:

make sure to work the exact time and distance into at least one email you subsequently send that day

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

carry on then posted:

make sure to work the exact time and distance into at least one email you subsequently send that day

perhaps integrate your email signature with your fitbit's twitter feed? i'd be happy to do it but my next available sprint slot is in 4 months

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OP you're right! I observed our developers and they weren't moving! The guy with the treadmill desk claimed he was going 3mph but when I tried to verify those claims I found that he was actually going 0mph. We had to fire him as Honesty is the 2nd corporate value.

However, after a management away day and some workshop sessions we came up with a solution to our lack of developer velocity. We installed a carousel in the office and replaced the horses etc with desks. Now not only has our developer velocity increased, all our developers are constantly accelerating!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pointsofdata posted:

OP you're right! I observed our developers and they weren't moving! The guy with the treadmill desk claimed he was going 3mph but when I tried to verify those claims I found that he was actually going 0mph. We had to fire him as Honesty is the 2nd corporate value.

However, after a management away day and some workshop sessions we came up with a solution to our lack of developer velocity. We installed a carousel in the office and replaced the horses etc with desks. Now not only has our developer velocity increased, all our developers are constantly accelerating!

how much does it cost to clean up the vomit?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

start with a disgusting enough office workers and there’s no additional cost!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
here’s the problem op. you can know how fast ur developers are going but not where they are. or you can know where they are but not how fast they r going. so which is it? life is full of hard decisions.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Just hire really incompetent senior management and watch your developer velocity soar.... away from your company!

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

you don’t have to physically increase developer velocity...

instead, just make it seem like they’re going fast enough to make their heads start spinning, by constantly adding and changing features

which, honestly speaking, you wanted to do anyways

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

here’s the problem op. you can know how fast ur developers are going but not where they are. or you can know where they are but not how fast they r going. so which is it? life is full of hard decisions.

:aaaaa:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stick Insect posted:

Anyone who subjects others to scrum must have been fallen on by an entire pack first

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
coffee enemas for the coders and also for the computers
next stop velocity town

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
live loc counters that go *ding* and give you achievements
prepare for the veloci-rapture

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
just fire the lowest performer each month
someone write these down in the velocipedia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffix posted:

update: you're fired lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

update: you're fired lol

lol

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

suffix posted:

You should be nice enough to give them a last chance. Let them white board a problem that gives their velocity at time of impact should they be defenestrated. Ease of challenge: floor to ceiling windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
We're taking the usual slow down to speed up approach and turning it on its head, speed up to speed up even more.

• Locked thread