Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The air conditioning failed (it's mice, or rats or both, or maybe some other critter) in my Mini Cooper S 2013 with 6500 miles and it's not worth repairing. I want a 2019 Bolt in Nova. This thread was created for people to tell me how dumb and imprudent it is to not only buy a new car, but a fairly pricey one when I barely drive. Here's a picture of one. I test drove one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You should get something more practical. Chartreuse Lotus Elise:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sharkytm posted:

You should get something more practical. Chartreuse Lotus Elise:

It's 2018 it's time to go electric.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Duck and Cover posted:

It's 2018 it's time to go electric.

Fair enough.
Lime Green Lotus Elise Tesla Roadster

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Chevy Bolt is pretty awesome, probably gonna get one whenever my xB goes to my son.

If you want to go cheaper you could always get a used Spark.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Fair enough.
Lime Green Lotus Elise Tesla Roadster

Well that'd outstage the members of my family who purchased Model Ses. Which is super important to me.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Chevy Bolt is pretty awesome, probably gonna get one whenever my xB goes to my son.

If you want to go cheaper you could always get a used Spark.

I want cheaper but as far as used electric cars go the range isn't really satisfactory. Besides far as small electric cars go my options are kind of limited. While it's not the range that concerns me, it's the range in the cold, after 5 years that concerns me. Fiat 500e, wait for the Mini Cooper E to come out, the Bolt, and maybe the i3. Golf E and the Leaf were also considered but I am kind of a sucker for small. I also really like that color and would be sad if I didn't get it. Well maybe not sad but pining over the rad car color I didn't get. (What happened with the Mini Cooper, 2013 wasn't offered in Electric blue those fuckers!). I pretty much made up my mind before making this thread I can afford it I just realize it is hardly a prudent use of my money. If I wait to get it used I may not be able to find what I want (cloth seats, the "driver confidence" stuff which is an option on the lower trim). I'm thinking some rad rotiform wheels to go with it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 5, 2018

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

If you're after a green, impractical electric car that you'll never drive, might I recommend a wrapped Karma:

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

*with attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

None of these cars are impractical for me as I tend to use them to get from point a to b sometimes picking up pizza. Pretty sure they all have room for pizza. Imprudent though, since I drive so rarely. Wrapping was something I considered doing, but that was before I saw an actual color being offered.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 5, 2018

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
I went through a similar decision making process recently - I commute 7 miles each way 4-5 days a week, and have another car as the family and grocery hauler. EV's are cool and the tech finally seems practical, with the added bonus that I can charge for free at work. Basically, I could commute for free with an EV vs. buying a beater car to make the commute. The numbers really don't work out in favor of the EV:

I grabbed the lease price for the Bolt straight from Chevy's site, a base model with only the Driver Convenience (and the required package to get that one), with registration fees from the California DMV calculator. The maintenance prices for the VW are pretty hefty, you would probably have some reclaimed money there. I used my full coverage Fiesta ST insurance cost for the Bolt, assuming it could be higher because it's 50% more expensive than the Fiesta. If your current car isn't financed, you can't forget the added cost to register and insure a new financed car.

Even stacking the deck against the Golf, the EV comes out ~$19,000 behind assuming you never pay for a charge. And it's a lease, so you don't actually end up with a car after that 39th month. You could throw the beater car away and start over again every three years and still be almost 20 grand ahead. Hell, you could buy a $10,000 used car with a maintenance budget to take it to a shop for everything and STILL break even (and have a paid for car at month 40).

Don't get me wrong, it could be fun. Just know going into it that you're probably spending $20,000 over 3ish years to drive a silly green golf cart. You can tweak the numbers on this spreadsheet if you want to roll your own costs.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Of course an 18 year old car is going to be cheaper but if you're looking for a bolt look around because people are paying ~10k less than what you put in that excel so it's not AS bad a deal.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I can afford it, I want it, I am doing it. Bolt LT with Driver Confidence 2 (which of course requires the first Driver Confidence, as well as Comfort and Convenience). I'm hoping to get it at like 4k under MSRP which truecar (is that site accurate?) claims is market average for the 2018. That combined with the federal/state electric rebate stuff puts it even lower.

Oh yeah and I value my time, I'm very excited to not need oil changes. (well not really but it'd be nice) Hopefully I can find some all season winter tires that'll fit thus saving me the bother of having to switch tires.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's very hard to make the numbers for an electric car stack up as "better" unless you fit some pretty specific criteria, but the idea of having one to save money is something of a red herring. What's good about them is they're quiet, smooth, and generally very easy to live with. Things like preheating systems and not having to be concerned about using full throttle the second you turn them on are nice too.

WickedSKS
Dec 8, 2007
how is fixing the AC not worth it?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Because he's already had to shell out for an oil change.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Duck and Cover posted:

I can afford it, I want it, I am doing it. Bolt LT with Driver Confidence 2 (which of course requires the first Driver Confidence, as well as Comfort and Convenience). I'm hoping to get it at like 4k under MSRP which truecar (is that site accurate?) claims is market average for the 2018. That combined with the federal/state electric rebate stuff puts it even lower.

Oh yeah and I value my time, I'm very excited to not need oil changes. (well not really but it'd be nice) Hopefully I can find some all season winter tires that'll fit thus saving me the bother of having to switch tires.

'Very excited to avoid oil changes' given that you've had the Mini for five years and had to do one?

I think what you need is clearly a Lime Green 1980 Pinto Wagon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I believe if you're looking for some sort of EV you'd be better off not going whole hog. I'd be conservative and look at hybrids.

Such as the Lime Green Porsche 918 Spyder

e: also yes you're a loving idiot.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 5, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

WickedSKS posted:

how is fixing the AC not worth it?

They'd need to take apart the dash and given the amount of debris found when started they predicted I'd likely/possibly need to replace the compressor. Really if I was being practical I'd wait for after winter and see my options in late winter/early spring.

Liquid Communism posted:

'Very excited to avoid oil changes' given that you've had the Mini for five years and had to do one?

I think what you need is clearly a Lime Green 1980 Pinto Wagon.

It's hyperbole and I didn't do just one I did it yearlyish. I must stress though I'm very lazy.

Adiabatic posted:

I believe if you're looking for some sort of EV you'd be better off not going whole hog. I'd be conservative and look at hybrids.

Such as the Lime Green Porsche 918 Spyder

e: also yes you're a loving idiot.

I prefer the term imprudent! Also that's a nice car. Let me just look up the price.. Hmmm do you think the insurance on that would be much higher if it was stored outside? My Mini has dents on the roof the theory being pinecones are to blame.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 5, 2018

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Duck and Cover posted:

None of these cars are impractical for me as I tend to use them to get from point a to b sometimes picking up pizza. Pretty sure they all have room for pizza.

If pizza mobility is a True Concern, you should put it first on your list, not near the end. You do want you 'za to arrive hot a fresh, right?

May I suggest a used Domino's DXP? A chartreuse wrap is a small price to pay for such an engineering and food-delivery marvel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

netwerk23 posted:

If pizza mobility is a True Concern, you should put it first on your list, not near the end. You do want you 'za to arrive hot a fresh, right?

May I suggest a used Domino's DXP? A chartreuse wrap is a small price to pay for such an engineering and food-delivery marvel.

Oh yeah this car. I think I'd want the original paint job but Domino is a big meany! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-yLTDkAS4

• Locked thread