Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://serialpodcast.org/

What is Serial?

Serial is a weekly, nonfiction podcast by the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Each season depicts long-form investigative reporting on a particular story, generally related to crime.

What what depicted in previous seasons?

Season 1 focused on the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee, a popular Baltimore area high school student, and the arrest of her boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for that murder. Though he protested his innocence, Adnan was tried and convicted. Serial's investigation of the case revealed serious questions about the investigation, Adnan's defense, and other matters. Based on facts uncovered during the show, a Maryland appeals court ordered a new trial for Adnan. The season also set the internet on fire and inspired a litany of true crime imitators, parodies, and homages.

Season 2 explored the case of Bowe Berghdahl, a United States Army soldier who was captured by the Haqqani network after he walked away from his post in Afghanistan. Instead of being a "whodunnit," the season used Berghdahl's case as a lens through which to view the personal, political, and bureaucratic failures of the War Against Terror. It also questioned the appropriateness of Berghdahl's subsequent court martial and the political brouhaha that his return sparked. After the season ended, Berghdal pleaded guilty to charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, leading to his dishonorable discharge, a reduction in rank, and a fine.

Following Season 2 was the spin-off S-Town, a Southern Gothic disguised as a true-crime podcast. To say more would be to ruin it.

What is this season about?

Previous seasons have focused on extraordinary facts of extraordinary cases. This season will focus on the extraordinary facts of ordinary cases in Cleveland, Ohio (my hometown). In Koenig's own words:

quote:

“Every case Emmanuel and I followed, there came a point where we thought: No, this can’t be how it works,” said Koenig in a press release. “And then we were like, Oh! Oh my god. This is how it works! This is how it happens! People who work in the system, or have been through the system, they know this. But millions more people do not. And for the past year I’ve had this urgent feeling of wanting to kind of hold open the courthouse door, and wave people inside. Because things are happening — shocking things, fascinating things — in plain sight.”

When does the next season air?

Serial's third season will debut September 20, 2018. A preview can be found here.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The first two eps are out and it's very good

Namaste

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I'm really happy to hear Sarah Koenig's voice again. The first two eps so far have been great.

That loving judge in ep 2 is so smug about his little black lives matter catchphrase and about being "politically incorrect." It's infuriating how many people's lives hang in the balance of decisions made by petty tyrants like him

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hurray Serial. Judge Gaul sounds like a total piece of poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is pretty disappointing. Sure, it's a very well made podcast. But it's not actually a serialized story like seasons 1 and 2 :(

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

This is pretty disappointing. Sure, it's a very well made podcast. But it's not actually a serialized story like seasons 1 and 2 :(

yeah l liked whole season story arcs of 1 and 2 this is way more like this american life segments

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Jesus Christ, episode three.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Guy: I don’t feel bad about any of the people I hurt when I was younger and if I found out who killed that baby I wouldn’t tell.

Sarah [narrating]: Now, I like this guy, but...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The more they dress up the ads as cute little slice-of-life stories to sell headhunting services and the like, the more I despise them. I realize there's nothing to be done here, and at least the change in music to plinky plinky jingle jangle lets me skip through them reliably, but I hate them all the same.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how Sarah always has to bend over backwards insist she believes the tyrannical pieces of poo poo she interviews have good intentions. I want to believe it's just cover incase they get sued.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

OmanyteJackson posted:

I love how Sarah always has to bend over backwards insist she believes the tyrannical pieces of poo poo she interviews have good intentions. I want to believe it's just cover incase they get sued.

Loomis: Tamir Rice was a child of the street and is responsible for his own death. His mother deserves to suffer and if she really cared about this city she would—.

Koenig: Now, I can’t say I like Loomis...

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1048368920468578304

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The most recent episode is crazy. The societal order the cops enforce at gunpoint ruins this guy's life, they beat him the the point of PTSD/brain damage, gang-stalk him to ticket him for every little thing, and then when he has a justified rant at one of the brutalizers they frame it as though he's crazy and should just keep his head down.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

The most recent episode is crazy. The societal order the cops enforce at gunpoint ruins this guy's life, they beat him the the point of PTSD/brain damage, gang-stalk him to ticket him for every little thing, and then when he has a justified rant at one of the brutalizers they frame it as though he's crazy and should just keep his head down.

the thing that got me was the drivers license stuff. what a massively bullshit system

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually know one of the people who is working on this season. I went to college with him. Definitely a :stare: moment.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This season ended with a wet fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well, that was incredibly bleak

• Locked thread