Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Problem description:
Long story short, yesterday I bought a new Dell G7 gaming laptop, but for some reason it doesn't recognize earbuds that I plug into the 3.5 mm jack. When I plug them in, I get the popup that asks if I just plugged in Mic In, Line In, Headphones/Headset (Earbuds), External Speaker, but when I choose headset (earbuds) it won't allow me to select it in the sound/device manager. The laptop's internal speakers are the only thing that show up in the sound manager. No other audio devices whatsoever.

Attempted fixes:
I checked all the usual suspects:
- Wave Maxx audio is enabled on startup with high priority
- Rebooted with earbuds already plugged in. Same result.
- Tried to select other options when it asks what I just plugged in, all with the same result.
- Disabled internal speakers hoping it would default to earbuds, all that happened was I had zero sound until I enabled them again
- Double checked all sound drivers up to date

Recent changes:
Brand new laptop

Operating system:
Win 10

System specs:
Dell G7 15 series

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You're 100% sure the earbuds work on other devices right?

I'd try another pair if possible anyway.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

You're 100% sure the earbuds work on other devices right?

I'd try another pair if possible anyway.

I used them in my phone and PS4 controller and they worked fine. Still not sure what the deal is after trying another pair.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

I used them in my phone and PS4 controller and they worked fine. Still not sure what the deal is after trying another pair.

I'd try a microphone or any other thing that could plug into that jack. See if anything works and if not I might try to exchange it.

• Locked thread