Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Sup dudes. I am a big time nerd who loves the internet. I am living out in the country and the only feasible option for me right now is to use my unlimited verizon 4g hotspot and tether it to my computer using the Klink app. I can also use the hotspot function, but it caps out at however many gb so I will probably use that for stuff like ps4 online if possible. I want to buy a signal booster and set that up in my house. I usually get 2 bars AT BEST on my property. The signal strength is usually about -109dB at best and the AU (whatever that is) gets up to like 30. Usually, it's a little worse than that. I've heard that a signal booster can help with that, especially if mounted up high. I can do that on my house.

Are any of you guys familiar with this? The hosed up thing is that there is a fiber optic line .2 miles from my house, but they want to charge me $399 for 3mb up/down, or $487 for 5mb PER MONTH. So they are essentially loving me. And I would have to do a 3 year contract. So yeah. That is insane. Comcast would dig out, but then my monthly bill would be about $900 to offset the cost. That would be better than getting hosed by these fiber people. The other option is waiting 5 years and my neighbor will be selling internet because he had a fiber line dug out to his house, but he has contractual obligations (he runs a business and has the good poo poo). In 3 or so more years I can probably get decent internet, but I wanna use 4g in the meantime. Thank god for capitalism and the free market, am I right?

Anyway, if you guys know of a superior brand or style of cellphone signal amplifier, I'm all ears. Or if you can tell me about other options for rural internet. DSL through phone lines is not available as far as I know (don't even have a landline to our house :v:). Satellite is an option and there is a satellite company that is claiming 25mb down for $70 a month. I'm not sure about their current tech, but I know that in the past ping times were notoriously bad. I'd want to play games and poo poo decently. My other neighbor has hughesnet gen 5 and he says he can watch netflix on his poo poo alright, but if he tries to watch it on a bigger tv it gets blocky. Welp. I'm all ears, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

vandalism posted:

The other option is waiting 5 years and my neighbor will be selling internet because he had a fiber line dug out to his house, but he has contractual obligations (he runs a business and has the good poo poo). In 3 or so more years I can probably get decent internet, but I wanna use 4g in the meantime.

How far away is your neighbor exactly (in feet/meters)?

vandalism posted:

Satellite is an option and there is a satellite company that is claiming 25mb down for $70 a month. I'm not sure about their current tech, but I know that in the past ping times were notoriously bad. I'd want to play games and poo poo decently. My other neighbor has hughesnet gen 5 and he says he can watch netflix on his poo poo alright, but if he tries to watch it on a bigger tv it gets blocky. Welp. I'm all ears, though.

Yea, satellite still has awful ping times/latency. So it's very bad for gaming.

• Locked thread