Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
my job is to write music all day in a recording studio and I like to talk about gear and music production nonstop except 98% of my friends aren’t interested at all so I turn to you fellow losers: anyone in here work in a studio or like to talk generally about being addicted to buying gear???

There’s probably a megathread for this but lol if you think I’m sifting through those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
how is gearslutz not enough for you

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Laserjet 4P posted:

how is gearslutz not enough for you

not enough dumb goons over there

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
give me a job

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Mister Speaker posted:

give me a job

hope you like terrible pay!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
whatup studio goons I am the poor, tired assistant engineer the world knows and hates. mostly I watch knobs get twiddled by other people and do hardware maintenance because I am the most qualified among all the other assistants to do that stuff as I am also a failed electrical engineering student

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

whatup studio goons I am the poor, tired assistant engineer the world knows and hates. mostly I watch knobs get twiddled by other people and do hardware maintenance because I am the most qualified among all the other assistants to do that stuff as I am also a failed electrical engineering student

hell yes make me a coffee

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

gbs but from 2004 posted:

hell yes make me a coffee

*makes coffee to exact personal standards, still gets yelled at for doing it wrong*

real poo poo though since September I now do in-house recordings for a university's music program and it's baller. five hours a night per show cranking all different kinds of band and chorus performances. fuckin good stuff. their recording studio is hardwired to the recital halls so I just patch everything in from the control room and I have ushers on walkies ready to adjust things down below if I need it

barnold fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 5, 2018

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

*makes coffee to exact personal standards, still gets yelled at for doing it wrong*

real poo poo though since September I now do in-house recordings for a university's music program and it's baller. five hours a night per show cranking all different kinds of band and chorus performances. fuckin good stuff. their recording studio is hardwired to the recital halls so I just patch everything in from the control room and I have ushers on walkies ready to adjust things down below if I need it

hell yeah BROTHER

we need to get walkies in our studio for the same reason, at the moment we’re running up and down stairs or calling each other to tweak stuff

100SBKdr
Jan 5, 2019
Not a studio worker, but guitar teacher and gigging musician. I've been looking at getting into doing more studio work. Out of curiosity, how did you guys get into studio type work? Were you always into recording and you found a studio to work at? Did you start your own studio?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

100SBKdr posted:

Not a studio worker, but guitar teacher and gigging musician. I've been looking at getting into doing more studio work. Out of curiosity, how did you guys get into studio type work? Were you always into recording and you found a studio to work at? Did you start your own studio?

I’m probs not the best person to ask as I’m not an engineer and our studio isn’t a commercial studio for hire, so it’s a bit of a less common situation

I got where I am by knowing people in the industry and basically doing whatever poo poo job they asked and improved my skill set while doing it so when it came for them asking me to do real work I was able to do it to the best of my ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

100SBKdr posted:

I got my foot in the door with music. I studied film and electrical circuits in highschool. A couple of years ago I was gigging around with a blues band and we were gearing up to record in a studio. I was simply assertive dueing a studio session and said "need any help? Here's what I can do" and the next thing I know, Im installing video gear, programming lights, restoring analog circuit boards from the early 90's.

I suppose I've always been doing something here or there in the entertainment industry so I just keep studying, practicing, and exploring stuff that works.