Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

So who is Jimmy and what is the Pulsating Mass?

Jimmy is an Eight year old kid, but he's not like other kids? Why? Because he's got his own RPG! It's Jimmy and the Pulsating mass and it's out on steam.

And the Pulsating Mass?

Well, that's a spoiler. But suffice to say, it's bad. The pulsating mass is going to devour everything. There will be no more hate or fear or love. That's why it needs to be stopped. Luckily, Jimmy isn't alone. He's got his family to help him! And you!

Okay so, how does it play?

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is a turn based RPG. You know the type. You hit an enemy, they hit you back. They stab you, you steal their knives, ect.

Of course, it's not exactly like other RPGs. Jimmy's kind and empathetic, which means he can think about what it's like to be an enemy. Not just any enemies though. They have to be special. Sort of.. boss-ish special. Anyway. Once he's had a good think, he can turn into them for battle...

...Or to take advantage of their special skills on the field.

But that's not all!

You see, forms are equivalent to final-fantasy style jobs in a lot of ways. During battle he can switch as a free action as seen above and the form he's in at the end will gain imagination experience equal to the amount of regular experience. Now, forms star out with all their skills unlocked and usable in battle (1). But, when a form levels up it gives a permanent stat bonus to Jimmy (2) and at certain threshold it unlocks the ability to swap both passive and active skills (3) onto his default form via the imagination menu (4). Starred skills are active in every form, while the others are only usable when Jimmy isn't being a punk or a flower or a blob of goo.

Of course, there's a lot more to the game that would fit in a post, stuff like:

Minigames!

Secrets!

Love!

The ability to personally antagonize every NPC in the game by shaking them!

Okay, that's good and all, but I'm not sure if I actually wanna go ahead and buy this.

Well, luckily there is a fairly extensive demo, available here. It should last for a couple of hours and contains the first optional dungeon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah if you loved 'quirky' jrpgs like Lisa and earthbound and can stand rpgmaker jank Jimmy is definitely worth it's asking price. It's also has way more content that you'd expect out of an indie rpg. I'm at 30 hours and I still have at least one more side dungeon and the last area to do, none of it was filler or grinding and the game nicely changes things up pretty often.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This game was excellent and I more or less enjoyed every minute.

It's not easy though; the side content is especially brutal.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 10, 2018

• Locked thread