Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

If your parents gave something their full stamp of approval when you were like 10 would you even like it anymore?

I dunno, my parents bought Ice Cubes solo works and told me that Cops arent my friends and snitches get stitches but I didnt grow up to be all blue lives matter and pat boone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

I dunno, my parents bought Ice Cubes solo works and told me that Cops arent my friends and snitches get stitches but I didnt grow up to be all blue lives matter and pat boone.

:lol:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Antivehicular posted:

My parents' dumb media trolling was to pronounce Captain Picard's last name as "Pickerd" every time we watched TNG just to piss off my tiny pedantic child self. It worked.

Didn't Q do this in one episode?

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

My dad would always fall asleep on the couch watching TV, almost always Fox News. It didn't matter if he was sleeping for a minute or an hour, the second you changed the channel he woke up and started yelling at you. I was more impressed than anything, but it was the only TV in the house so it made for some boring days.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

burial posted:

My grandma had satellite TV. I mean, no boobies probably, but we did not have cartoon network, noggin, or sci-fi channel at home yet. I biked 15 miles one way (at 13ish?) on what passes for main roads around here for that poo poo more than once.

Can kind of relate to the NO TV BUT OUR TV part of that post too, but only on evenings and Sundays. Evenings was the stupid Waltons, Sundays being reserved for nascar or whatever black and white movie was showing, depending on whether or not my father was napping between church services.

One time I saw some movie about a weird gender war where the dudes were all military and the ladies drugged men to make them see all weird and then used them for breeding stock. I have no idea what that was, but it seems weirdly post-internet for a film that clearly predated it. I am only convinced I am not making it up because there is no way I could have at that age.

It is probably why I am afraid of gruel.

e: Sigh. Removing all contractions now.

I think I saw this film as a kid, did it have a scene where a grizzleded bearded man kept passing his gruel to a drugged up dude and hissing "EAAAAT" to him while trying to act like he was eating it?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My dad downloaded a copy of Morrowind for me (and I BOUGHT IT ANYWAY) but one of the music files was corrupted. While wandering the beautiful and immersive world, I would be startled and jarred by insanely loud garbled noises and thought the computer was having a melt-down and that I would be in trouble. Took me a while to figure that one out.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

CheeseThief posted:

I think I saw this film as a kid, did it have a scene where a grizzleded bearded man kept passing his gruel to a drugged up dude and hissing "EAAAAT" to him while trying to act like he was eating it?

I’m pretty sure it did, yes. I really don’t remember it well, but I do recall that the main character(s) figured out that the food was the drug delivery method and tried to avoid eating it. Somehow, he/they got caught though and ended up drugged anyway?

e: loving found it and apparently it was a Gene Roddenberry thing because of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(film)

burial fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 11, 2018

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Both my grandmother and (to a lesser extent) mother would, when presented with a cliffhanger ending in a tv show or movie, proclaim, "well that didn't end right."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Both my grandmother and (to a lesser extent) mother would, when presented with a cliffhanger ending in a tv show or movie, proclaim, "well that didn't end right."

I'm with them, cliffhangers suck.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pick posted:

When I was little, I'd ask to go see a movie, like a Disney movie or whatever, in the theaters. And my parents would say, oh, hmmm, well we need to go check it out first. So they'd go see the movie, and then come home and tell me everything that happened and how stupid it was, and how embarrassing it was that I wanted to see something so stupid, but since you're a little loving baby, if you want to go see this stupid Disney movie for dumb little children, then they might be able to swing it, although it would be torture for them to have to sit through it again, and on second thought, you can't go.

It was not until YEARS later I realized they were just going on errands or whatever and claiming to have gone to the movie. I only pieced it together when I realized the things they "complained about" didn't occur (as I would learn later, watching it on VHS at a friend's house or whatever.) I'd be all like, "When does the hummingbird burn the raccoon alive?" and it turns out that's not a plot point in Pocahontas.

e: Once or twice they actually claimed it was amazing but it was "too good" for me.

Pick I realize I owe you nothing, us both being two posters on a dead gay forum. But for what it's worth, every time you post about your parents I hate them a little more. That's twisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shoehead posted:

Pick I realize I owe you nothing, us both being two posters on a dead gay forum. But for what it's worth, every time you post about your parents I hate them a little more. That's twisted

Thank you, although I mostly feel sorry for my parents. They both have a lot of difficulty connecting with other people and they always have. There should have been opportunities for them to get help when they were younger and that didn't happen. Support social structures that help people! :arghfist: :saddowns:

• Locked thread