Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are from Belgium, we are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part and a wide variety of cultural options. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice (fine-dining) experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and activities places that are unique to the city in question, though this is probably obvious, and I do a lot of research beforehand. Budget isn't an issue since this is our passion.

So now we are looking towards a city trip or an active sun vacation with plenty of activities in November or January thereabouts. We'd prefer if it is not too overcrowded and not too hot, as well. We are also wary of cities being closed down during vacation - so we try to take that into account as well.
Since we really live for this thing, we do like to go for unique experiences, whether in activity, views, dining, but always appreciate comfort and luxury.
For instance, we had the best gastronomic time of our lives in Barcelona and really enjoyed Disfrutar restaurant there (very similar to El Bulli, I've heard).
But we also really enjoyed a trip to Ecuador where we stayed for 4 days in a lodge in Amazon.
Another nice activity was a road trip started here in Belgium, to Zwolle Netherlands for small city visit (and good restaurant), and then to Amsterdam and back.
So it can be pretty diverse!

Close by to Europe is a benefit, but I am very open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
There's a Pizza Hut in Nagoya, Japan that has mussels for a topping but they just put the mussels on the pizza still in the shell and so each piece comes out with a just an open mussel shell so you have to take the mussel off and pick it out of the shell and then what? Put it back on the pizza? Or eat it by itself and then just eat a slice of cheese pizza on the side? I never did figure it out.

edit grammar

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
Sorry I didn't address your other concerns in my previous post. Japan is not hot in the winter time so that's good. Unique food experiences = check. The Japanese don't really take vacations much so no worries about that. It is pretty crowded, though. Yep, I guess that's about it. Have fun, OP!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Lima has an outstanding food scene and meets all your criteria except "close to Belgium". Côté d’azur meets nearly all of your criteria as well, so many amazing restaurants near Marseille, Cassis, Nice, etc.

Greece and basically anywhere in Italy meet your criteria except that the food scene is pretty dead (well, it’s good but extremely monocultural). Pt6a will eventually find his way to this thread and tell you to go to San sebastien although I think the weather there is pretty standard grey European fare, if it’s anything like Bilbao, which it probably is.

Miami? I haven’t been there in ages but I bet they have a good food scene. LA does too, but like Lima it’s pretty far. Most of Latin America is pretty lacking in the food department besides Lima and to an extent Burnks Aires. (No idea about Brazil or mexico, might be good there too.) MENA meets all of your criteria except for the food scene which is pretty "eh." There’s plenty of good food in Tunis and Marrakech or Tel Aviv or wherever, but nothing to write home about.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 12, 2018

• Locked thread