Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I've been saying since the rematch was confirmed that I thought Golovkin was past it and that Canelo would win cleanly and while that didn't happen it seems as if time really has caught up with GGG. I mean I thought he won the fight two but something felt different about this fight-and I get that's it all that narrative poo poo that I buy into way too much-because it really felt as though Canelo was making Golovkin fight his fight. Of course that shouldn't affect how boxing is scored (the person who lands the more effective shots should win) but we're all people and have our biases, or "other" incentives.

This is going to get way too E/N but in a selfish way it's really disappointing for personally because in a weird way I feel like I've gone through this with Golovkin since he made his US debut. It was the first time I had moved out on my own in many years so I got an HBO subscription like a big boy and the first boxing fight I had really sat down and paid attention to was when he blew out Gregroz Proksa. He's what really got me into boxing as someone who really follows the sport and to see that this is where it tops out is a mixed blessing. It's amazing that this fighter from Kazakhstan who basically spoke in catchphrases became a pay-per-view attraction in this day and age but if this is where it ends up it feels really bittersweet.

I imagine there will be a third fight but I think it's just all downhill from GGG from here. I doubt he'd get blasted or anything but it's probably just another version of the first 2 fights but actually favoring Canelo more and him losing another decision. It's interested that HBO team was fluffling Canelo up so much since apparently this is his last fight with them but since it would always be PPV I don't know if that would matter. This probably did in the 1.4 million buy range so a third fight would still be massive but maybe if Jacobs or Saunders (or Andrade) really show up in their next fights those could be good too.

EDIT: Spoiler tags on the E/N poo poo no one wants to read but I wanted to write.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wacktastical
Feb 8, 2004
The best possible outcome at this point is that Jacobs crushes Canelo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

This is going to get way too E/N but in a selfish way it's really disappointing for personally because in a weird way I feel like I've gone through this with Golovkin since he made his US debut. It was the first time I had moved out on my own in many years so I got an HBO subscription like a big boy and the first boxing fight I had really sat down and paid attention to was when he blew out Gregroz Proksa. He's what really got me into boxing as someone who really follows the sport and to see that this is where it tops out is a mixed blessing. It's amazing that this fighter from Kazakhstan who basically spoke in catchphrases became a pay-per-view attraction in this day and age but if this is where it ends up it feels really bittersweet.

Dog I was just saying to some of my friends that GGG's fight against Proska was one of the first times I was like "Holy poo poo, this guy is special" from that moment on I was a GGG fan all the way and he's never let me down since. Pacquiao was the first fighter I ever saw and liked, but Golovkin is my favourite fighter and watching him really cultivated my growing interest in the sport as a whole beyond just watching Pac fights with my relatives. This is, I think, the first time I've been truly, really sad after a fight since Pac-Marquez IV. God drat. This was a good fight.

I see a lot of people claiming robbery, but I really think this was a close fight. I don't like Canelo and I didn't score this fight for him, but he was way more effective in this fight than he was in the first meeting. It's hard to deny him that.

It would upset me less if I thought it was a robbery, but really I can't say the cards were wrong like I could the first time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's cool that the best people can muster is that Canelo is A) Nice, B) Tried really, really hard and C) They still think he lost, but ah well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

the biggest annoyance is canelo is a legit great fighter and seemingly a nice guy. he should be the natural superstar but they keep tainting him by giving him scores he doesn't deserve. let him be the good guy with a couple of defeats to the best of the best who keeps coming, not the john cena of boxing.

If it helps, I've heard that Canelo is actually an rear end in a top hat and once jumped a stablemate like 4 divisions smaller than him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Holy poo poo I just realized that Floyd posting that video with Pacquiao could be a fakeout and he's coming back but not for the rematch against Pacquiao instead for the rematch against Canelo

We're through the looking glass here people

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The SituAsian posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized that Floyd posting that video with Pacquiao could be a fakeout and he's coming back but not for the rematch against Pacquiao instead for the rematch against Canelo

We're through the looking glass here people

I get the feeling Floyd is not taking that rematch unless it pays him the equivalent of a Western Europe country's GDP.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

thehappyprince posted:

the biggest annoyance is canelo is a legit great fighter and seemingly a nice guy. he should be the natural superstar but they keep tainting him by giving him scores he doesn't deserve. let him be the good guy with a couple of defeats to the best of the best who keeps coming, not the john cena of boxing.

actually, what's tainting Canelo is steroids

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Golashes posted:

that probably should have at least been a draw but i had money on canelo so, ehh? boxing sucks rear end.

Same, I bet on a stupid decision outcome and here I am with more money.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm surprised people are upset, it seemed close

Wacktastical
Feb 8, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

actually, what's tainting Canelo is steroids

..and also that he has been beaten twice by the declining but still best fighter in his division

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It was definitely close, sure.

It was close because Canelo ducked GGG long enough that the first fight was already questionable and with the full-year gap to get to the second one thanks to Canelo pissing hot, GGG did not have the sauce anymore. SCA looked real good early on, just holding down the middle of the ring like it was nothing. GGG looked great late, actually staggering SCA two or three times, but he was looking wrung out as early as the fifth.

Seeing Canelo actually pushing forward made him look like a completely different fighter, which was shocking to me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Hello

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
what rounds to people absolutely indisputably give to canelo in this fight?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The first two or maybe three for sure, but now it's the next day and I didn't keep notes. But seriously, I think what age took from GGG was that razor's edge of reaction time and consequently in those first few rounds Canelo kept tagging GGG clean; in between one of the rounds I saw pink coming out of GGG's nose while he sucked down air.

Later Canelo slowed and/or GGG adjusted, but for two people entering into "round 13" GGG was surprised by Canelo in a way that screams "getting old".

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, this time GGG looked worse and canelo looked better (and bigger)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marching Powder posted:

Canelo only had 1 or 2 indisputable rounds, the ones where GGG was kinda resting and Canelo threw and landed more shots.

A lot of the close rounds were GGG landing a lot of jabs and Canelo landing some jabs and counters. The British commentary I watched was biased towards ggg and they gave him rounds that I thought Canelo could have arguably won.

If I didn’t know either guy I would have guessed Canelo was the power puncher of the two by watching this fight.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

tesilential posted:

If I didn’t know either guy I would have guessed Canelo was the power puncher of the two by watching this fight.

Canelo was the only guy who was in danger of going down, so I question that observation

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I thought the Jacobs fight (6-6+knockdown) was closer than either of these two fights (8-4 first, 7-5 second)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jackie D posted:

Canelo was the only guy who was in danger of going down, so I question that observation

Neither guy was ever in danger of dropping. Canelo looked wobbly a couple times late but I chalk that up to exhaustion. He legit stopped GGG in his tracks multiple times early in the fight.

I wanted ggg to win and think he could’ve squeaked out a decision, but this was no blowout and robbery.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
GGG easily won the fight and boxing promotion, corruption, judging and commentating has brainwashed people to think anything that isn't a complete beatdown is "close".

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Punches didn't count, I was tired.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Seltzer posted:

GGG easily won the fight and boxing promotion, corruption, judging and commentating has brainwashed people to think anything that isn't a complete beatdown is "close".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

I gave him 1, 2, 3, and 11.

• Locked thread